The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Please do go ahead! I'd be happy to see the discussion continue, though I don't have the time to actively post right now. Nogrod's idea of a discussion without a leader is worth a try; time will tell if it works out that way.

Lal, I did try to include the contents of the Reader's Guides in the re-run; if someone has them, it's definitely worthwhile to see what they have to offer on the topics and chapters.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #42
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think one of the problems with this kind of things is that people set the bar too high... I mean they're too gallant and if they then can't make it with the standards they have set themselves the thread dies.
We were not gallant, but nobody followed us Others started to fall apart...

Quote:
So how aobut no-one takes the kind of responsibility of alone providing the "base-text" / introduction (like it seems to be done in so many "read-along"-threads here) but we could either just a) make a deal about the intervals between the chapters and anyone could post (like a week to read and a week to discuss that or something)
Well but this is basically what's been done this time. There was this "base-text", yes, but in fact, it was like that, at least myself, I posted just what I wanted to, what I noticed when reading this time and that was it. The "base-text" used was Esty's introduction in the first post of the thread these few years ago, but then everybody just continued unfolding some thoughts, either based on that or their own. But then, the main point is, it WAS like that there was a week to discuss, but nobody discussed. So this is no difference.

Quote:
or b) the responsibility of the laying the groundwork for the discussion of each chapter would change so that no one would need to carry that task alone?
As for this, like I said above, I think there is no problem. When Esty had some things to do, preparing for that Tolkien seminary and such, she gave the responsibility to me, and I tried to more-or-less post in the continuing way. Then soon, it became so that I was the only one posting, but I went on, then we once again talked with Esty and decided to try to post at least until the end of the FotR and then maybe stop the project if there continues to be no interest. Then, my exam terms came and I simply didn't have the will, time and all things to post even the three or so last chapters, since it seemed nobody's following anyway. But as I said, if the interest arises, I am prepared to go at any time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil
Just a proposal....

How about Lommy, Nogrod, Groin and Eonwe [and everyone else of course (!!)] start from the beginning.

Legate and me and anyone else who has posted already on rerun2 respond to the new posts as we go along, (its good not to be just 'howling into the wind' as someone put it!) then pick up where we each left off in rerun2.

This at least gives Legate and Esty a bit of a break before we get into 'new' chapters.

What do you reckon??
I think that's about their choice. Although from personal point of view, I am free to continue as it goes. That would be more than a "bit" of break, but then, if there are many people posting like this, why not and I can even join the discussions about the earlier chapters if there's something to discuss from the other people. It's only that, and I say it right here, I would not like to see myself starting to read LotR for the third time in a row and for the third time in a row stopping before the end of Book 2 or something like that
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #43
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
It's only that, and I say it right here, I would not like to see myself starting to read LotR for the third time in a row and for the third time in a row stopping before the end of Book 2 or something like that
I can see where you're coming from and I do understand how you feel.

So how about you give us a chance to catch you up from the beginning and as you said, maybe even peek in sometimes to see whether there is something that is of interest. And as we - hopefully - reach the place your round got bogged down then let's go forwards from there?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Lets Do the Timewarp Again

Hi All

Esty, glad to hear you are in favour, I guess the key may be to keep it as informal as possible and see how it goes.

Legate, yep its a bit tricky as we're out of sync, and of course everyone should be free to post where and when they like.

I guess my approach was to avoid reading chapters and the discussion thereupon that I hadn't got to yet so that when I posted I would be unbiased and 'fresh'. Back in March I gave in to the impulse to finish the read in a couple of nights, but posting is more of an effort. I guess this might be a mistake as poor old Legate was left to plod on alone towards Mount Doom!

Perhaps the way to go is for occasional posters such as myself to respond more often to the posts as they turn up.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #45
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
So how aobut no-one takes the kind of responsibility of alone providing the "base-text" / introduction (like it seems to be done in so many "read-along"-threads here) but we could either just a) make a deal about the intervals between the chapters and anyone could post (like a week to read and a week to discuss that or something), or b) the responsibility of the laying the groundwork for the discussion of each chapter would change so that no one would need to carry that task alone?
I vote option a)!
Otherwise people will miss things and then get stuck and lag behind.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #46
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
So how about you give us a chance to catch you up from the beginning and as you said, maybe even peek in sometimes to see whether there is something that is of interest. And as we - hopefully - reach the place your round got bogged down then let's go forwards from there?
Yup, if you are doing that, I think it's fine. And if you feel up to it, you can take a peek at what we pioneers wrote for you there during the last round

And Rumil - whatever, I think you may just take your backpack and the obligatory rope and follow the road on your own, until we meet up by the streams of Nimrodel, or how you see fit. And my spirit may wander about the times and places back in memory towards the brave ones whose journey had not yet started, or is just about to unfold...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #47
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Sounds great, I'll start reading The Fellowship of the Ring tonight! This is going to be so much fun!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #48
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I still have to decided whether I'll read it in Finnish or English... I'm looking forward to this anyway.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #49
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
How about we open the discussion a week from now? It leaves us with a week to read the Concerning Hobbits which I think is a fair time. I can open a thread for it then... or anyone could do it.

No "official" introductions or base-texts but everyone can post about things s/he finds interesting or worthy of shared thought?
Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #50
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

I think I might join in on this discussion, especially
since viewing PJ's movie bit on "Concerning Hobbits",
and particularly viewing the extended dvd, is a good
mood preparation before rereading LOTR
(unlike the last two movies).
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #51
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
I can open a thread for it then... or anyone could do it.
Two problems with that idea, Noggie - for one, starting a thread in this section of the forum is limited to mods and admins. Secondly, there are already so many threads, what with one for each chapter of LotR, Hobbit, and Sil, that more would be confusing. I suggest that you simply add to the chapter threads that are already there. No need to read previous posts, no obligation to stick to questions asked initially, just jump in and write whatever is on your mind as you read LotR.

For all of you - if you are looking for the threads in the correct book order, look at the left side of the Chapter-by-Chapter forum page, under Threads in Forum, and click on "Thread" - aside from the sticky intro threads at the top, all threads will then be in the right order, beginning with LotR Foreword.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #52
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thanks Estelyn for the info.

I quess there are good arguments to be made both ways. So I guess that in the end it depends on what we wish.

Just continuing the old CbC-threads would be logical but would also - I'm afraid - draw us to those earlier discussions and as some would have time to read them while others not it might distract the discussion or raise the bar too high looking at the learned essays some have contributed there... To me it would feel "fresher" if one hadn't the temptation to go backwards - being already on the thread - only to find your points made ten times already...

My initial idea was to open just one thread to the general Books-forum named something like "The Millionth Re-read" or something and we would have stuck with that one thread as far as we can keep it going or when we reach the point where the earlier read halted to see whether a host of you would join there and demand us to go back to the original threads.

But I'm okay with sticking to the original threads as well so I guess it's up to you others planning of joining this little venture.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #53
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
My initial idea was to open just one thread to the general Books-forum named something like "The Millionth Re-read" or something and we would have stuck with that one thread as far as we can keep it going or when we reach the point where the earlier read halted to see whether a host of you would join there and demand us to go back to the original threads.
Ah, now I understand what you were thinking. I guess because it's being discussed here on the sub-forum, I thought you intended to hold the discussion here as well.

You are certainly welcome to open a new thread on the main Books forum and to keep going there. I'll enjoy reading your contributions even if I don't have time to post!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #54
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've read the first two chapters, should I start posting or should I wait for things to get underway?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #55
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I've read the first two chapters, should I start posting or should I wait for things to get underway?
I think you should wait a few days at least... I suggested on Sunday that we might begin in a week (next weekend that is) to give all a week's time to read the first chapter, well Concerning Hobbits that is.

Let's not go for two chapeters at the time anyway, but take it easily so that it doesn't start to fatigue too many people in the long run. As I said earlier the one thing I think easily makes these kind of projects to halt is that people swallow too big parts as a whole in the beginning and when they realise they can't keep up with the speed they just drop off...
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #56
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A new thread is open

I started a new thread just a moment ago in the Books as I had time to do it and will probably not have that same leisure during the weekend as I have a choir "seminar" both Saturday & Sunday singing from 11 to 18 both days.

And just my capabilities... I managed to mis-spell the name of the thread... (hopefully Esty will correct it soonish).

But let's go with it then! I'm waiting for your insights & comments.