The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Fox
Newly Deceased

Fox has just left Hobbiton.
translation

hello people...i'd like to get a tattoo and i was thinking of "choose your destiny" in Quenya...can someone translate it pls?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There is a noun (in the late 1930s text Etymologies) maranwe 'destiny', and using tielyanna 'upon your path' from Unfinished Tales, we might get Neo-Quenya *maranwelya 'your destiny'.

As for 'choose', all I can think of at the moment is essecilme 'Name-choosing', but one would have to guess at a verb in the imperative here, as it seems to me at least, that 'choose your destiny' should be rendered in the imperative.

Unless someone has another option for 'choose', or wants to extrapolate using essecilme, it would seem easier to write this in English using an Elvish writing system. If you want help with any transcription into the tengwar I can only describe them however, referencing the chart in Return of the King. I don't mind doing that but some who are less familiar with the tengwar names or shapes of the tehtar seem to find this confusing.

For Quenya versus Neo-Quenya see Elvish as She Is Spoke, here:

http://www.elvish.org/articles/

Last edited by Galin; 08-05-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Fox
Newly Deceased

Fox has just left Hobbiton.
well it does seem pretty confusing...how about the elvish writing system?where can i find the fonts?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Try:

http://at.mansbjorkman.net/

Click on 'Tengwar Modes' there and check out the section for English.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

By the way, here's what the editors of Vinyar Tengwar had to say on essecilme (in a linguistic review of the Elvish published in Morgoth's Ring):

Quote:
'The second element cilme 'choosing' might derive from the base KIL- 'divide' (LR: 365), in the sense that 'choosing' involves separating what one wants from a large number of possibilities. The verb stem kil- 'see' as in kiluva 'shall see' (MC: 213) could also be related.'

From the Tolkien linguistic journal Vinyar Tengwar, number 34, entry for essecilme
Not that this helps put a possible verb derived from essecilme into the imperative, but these are the experts compared to me, in any event.

Had you just wanted 'fox' that might have been easier (I'm pretty sure there's an attested word for this).

Last edited by Galin; 08-05-2008 at 06:00 AM.