The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Father Christmas Letters: 1928

The picture for this year's letter depicts only one scene, though it uses two levels and has some surrounding borders framing it.

It is addressed to "My dear boys" - Priscilla was born the next year, so no girl addressee yet. John, the eldest, apparently no longer believes in FC and hasn't written to him. The story tells of yet another clumsy thing that happened to the North Polar Bear, giving a reason to show the inside of Father Christmas' house, centering on the great staircase.

JRRT does enjoy his puns! This time he plays with the homophones "frieze" and "freeze". Once again the presents are hinted at, with the request to handle them carefully, as they are very good.

There is a second note, dated "Boxing Day" (December 26, for those who aren't familiar with that holiday). In it, FC offers apologies for the lateness of the letter (which was dated December 20th), due to the NPB, who forgot to post it. I wonder if JRRT simply hadn't gotten around to writing earlier and thought of this fictional excuse?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
There is a second note, dated "Boxing Day" (December 26, for those who aren't familiar with that holiday). In it, FC offers apologies for the lateness of the letter (which was dated December 20th), due to the NPB, who forgot to post it. I wonder if JRRT simply hadn't gotten around to writing earlier and thought of this fictional excuse?
Sounds possible. Or there might have been something else, something unfinished about the letter, the drawings, or maybe Tolkien just misplaced it and couldn't find it when he needed it The possibilities are nearly limitless

What I have noticed only here with this letter, is one thing related to the nice drawings of the stars and moons etc. framing the picture - as FC writes, he is the one who had painted them on the walls of the house as well - and that prompted the idea: if the FC is the one drawing those, is there any way his shaky handwriting would affect also the drawings?

I think normally, with painting (if we look at the rest of the pictures), it does not - and that is perhaps even explainable by the different technique - but I wonder if the somewhat shaky contures of the suns, moons etc. framing this picture is not the intentional attempt to put the idea of "shaky handwriting" also into "shaky drawing", if you get what I mean.

For that matter: as for painting the interior of the house this time, do you think it was not only FC's idea, but also Tolkien's idea to change the setting for once for some "outside" reason - running out of ideas, perhaps? - and paint something different for a change?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I wonder if JRRT simply hadn't gotten around to writing earlier and thought of this fictional excuse?
That's cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I think normally, with painting (if we look at the rest of the pictures), it does not - and that is perhaps even explainable by the different technique - but I wonder if the somewhat shaky contures of the suns, moons etc. framing this picture is not the intentional attempt to put the idea of "shaky handwriting" also into "shaky drawing", if you get what I mean.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Drawing simple symbols such as suns, moons and stars etc. can be awfully boring: they're not difficult and you know how to do them, so you don't have to concentrate on getting them right. Instead you can think of ways to make them more interesting, not only to the viewer but also to you, so you probably end up painting them so that they support the picture and the characters it relates to. I bet they would look different if they were framing a picture of Galadriel, or Tom Bombadil, or Bilbo, or Tolkien's self-portrait - you name it.

I haven't read the Father Christmas Letters in ages and I don't even have a copy of it so I didn't remember how fantastic the pictures are. I absolutely love this one, it shows a mastery of perspective and colour. The staircase must have taken ages to paint even if he had a model.