The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Sting LOTR: Book, Movie, Fashion Trend??......

Is it just me or has wearing the one ring become a trend among celebs.I saw the 2003 MTV movie awards and when they showed Kirsten Dunst it looked like she was wearing the one ring. Also I recently watched a special on VH1 about POP stars(I think it was about pop stars.) that Hillari Duff was hosting. It looked like she also had the one ring on a chain around her neck. Has anyone else noticed this trend??? I will post the pic of Kirsten when I find it.

***Mr. Barrow-Wight please forgive me if this is not within your guidlines, I was just trying to think of an idea for a new forum.***

~Peace~Love~&~Happy~Posting~
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:08 PM   #2
Vuelve
Wight

Location: A portal to an alternate dimension at your local Wal-Mart store.
Vuelve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Vuelve
Boots

I found the Picture. Now tell me does that not look like the One Ring??

~Peace~Love~&~Happy~Posting~
Vuelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It does look like THE Ring, but maybe it's just A ring. Many people keep favourite rings on chains around their necks.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well it is definitely a trend at Tolkien conventions [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I saw so many young people wearing the little rings from the bookmarks on a chain. But yes I have noticed it, though I think that pendants in the shape of circles or ring shapes are just in style. Though I would think that it is very possible because of LOTR being so popular that it could have influnced the styles of today a little bit.
I have one that is in a ring shape, but is not a ring. But I completely doubt that the ring that Kirsten wore was a one ring, it was probably something from her boyfriend or her family.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well if it is it would surprise me. Considering that She and Elijah are friends and he was sitting at their table at the MTV awards (how funny was gollum there!. I think she did it as a fun thing...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:03 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's a bit depressing when this begins to happen. Lotr is a huge movie, and sure everyone in Hollywood knows its big, but if it got turned into a fashion trend by celebrities, it would take away the identity of true Tolkien fans, if you follow my meaning. To be seen out in the street wearing the One Ring now suggests your shelves are crammed with nothing but Lotr books and a 100-strong pile of cinema ticket stubs from all your viewings of the film. But if more celebrities went all ringy and elvish, people would just think you were trying to be like them, when you are in fact a total Lotr nut and showing your dedication to the books.
Kind of long-winded and not very well explained. But I hope you understand my point.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:23 AM   #7
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

i totally agree, Meela!
nobody will call you LotR-freak anymore...they're just laughing behind your back when they think that you are trying to be fashion-freak.
i would now like to quote one of our dearest frends...
Quote:
You Thieves! You thieves...You filttthy little thieves! Wheeeere isss it? They stole it from usss. My Preciousssss.
[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 07-09-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Sorry to burst your bubble, but, while the ring looks like The One Ring, it is most likely not (at least not on Kirsten Dunst). She is currently going out with Jake Gyllenhaal and that is a Promise Ring of sorts. It's very common for guys to give girls rings (frequently high school rings, actually) and for them to wear it around their neck. It's a fairly old-fashioned trend that has, as of late, started to come back. It very well could be the same with Hillary Duff, as she has a boyfriend, I think. A lot of my friends have had boyfriends give them rings and they wear it around their necks. So, while it would be interesting if the trend was catching on, it is most likely just the girls showing off their "Taken" status (at least for the moment).