The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2003, 03:32 PM   #41
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

So, so far we have....

Summer Holidays (which would be best)
Manchester as a Location

We really need someone to take charge! Any volunteers, who eldest (always fall back on that idea [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 02-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #42
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not eldest, that for sure I'm.... 14! Like almost everyone ele here seems to be... I wish I were in year 9 again, the freedom from coursework, utter bliss! Oh well, back to physics homework.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:08 PM   #43
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

OK, is there anyone in college except me...anyone...plz??
Old 02-04-2003, 04:11 PM   #44
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I,m not the oldest, but I would like to help in some way please? I like about an hour from Manchester.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:39 AM   #45
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I live in Gloucestershire, which is quite a way from Manchester, so I don't no jack about any venues. If we set some accomodation up, would it be better to buy in bulk (ie. for all the members travelling to stay in one place) or would it be better for everyone to make thier own arrangements and then meet. Personally (although it would be fun to all stay in the same place), separate arrangements sound easier then no one can let someone else down.

Aman, or whoever else lives in/near Manchester. Can you tell us a bit more about the venues you had in mind?? Size/typical attraction/cost, etc.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #46
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would love to come London for a Downs-meeting, or Manchester for that matter, but it´s too far away for me.
I will ask again...
Are there any Downers here that live in or near Canterbury? I will be in England (and about 30-40 min. way from C.) during the Easter break, and it would be great if I could meet one or a few Downers then. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:42 PM   #47
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a horrible suspicion I'm the only adult on this thread. I'm 31 but I promise I'm not one of those people you are supposed to be avoiding on the net. (I'm female and photo available on Alk's site so you can draw your own conclusions)
Hope all you year nines are OK with SATs. You know they change the pass rates yearly to fit with government spin don't you? Unfair or what?
Anyway, Manchester is OK, I'm in Birmingham. We have venues too and I'm happy to enquire if you young folk want me to. I strongly suggest bringing parents/chaperones, no matter how embarressing. Even I'm none too keen about meeting complete strangers and I'm quite capable of looking after myself.
Please don't make me responsible for you though, I don't do responsibility. Why else do I spend my freetime here instead of down the gym or in a bar like other women my age?
Bye young ones!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:48 AM   #48
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hey, someone older than me, yeh! Its weird that there aren't many adult brits around (or if they are, they're just boring [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

We really need a list of prices for places and a decent layout of what would happen, anyone wanna do one?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #49
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Its weird that there aren't many adult brits around (or if they are, they're just boring <http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/smilies/smile.gif> )
You obviously have not yet met Squatter of Amon Rudh nor Rimbaud, the real findorfin, although I suppose they might contest that label 'adult'.

Bethberry

[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 02-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #50
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Hmmm...there are adult brits yes...its just you might not actually recognise them as adults...

Age can be deceptive on the net. I mean, Ive been mistaken for both an 11 year old...and an 18 year old. Hmmm.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #51
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, I'm an adult (or should be [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] 25), but I live in Denmark so that doesn't really count does it? But I may be able to go see you guys if it's during the summer. Preferably June.
But since I have absolutely no idea where to go to get anywhere once I get off the plane in London, I might need a little help from someone... *hint hint*

And I may be foolish, but I'm not afraid of any of you guys. Not even Squatter. And he's experienced Danes before. "Complete lunatics!" Did I quote you right, Squatter dear? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 04:50 PM   #52
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I'm an adult Brit, so there are some of us. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm not sure you'd want me there at the party though. I'm one of the evil people responsible for setting the dreaded Year 9 SATS and making you poor guys do them. (I'm sorry, honest!)
Old 02-07-2003, 05:12 PM   #53
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ah, arelendil, I see you speak for me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, I would be very interested in coming, especially as it seems to be our American cousins that meet frequently, (although I remember there was a meeting in London between a certain 2 members not so long ago).

London would be a good idea for a meeting down in the south of England, its fairly easy to find. Any ideas as to where In London yet?

As for the date, as has previously been mentioned, May onwards would be a good time, thanks to study leave, but it may take a little longer than that for organisational reasons (I am quite willing to help on that front).
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #54
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Hey, someone older than me, yeh! Its weird that there aren't many adult brits around (or if they are, they're just boring)
Hey, not so much of the boring! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'd be more than happy to meet up in or around London. Just not sure I'd really fit in unless there are a few more thirty-somethings around.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:34 PM   #55
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Insults always flush people out, new it would! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

More and more people seem to be wanting London now so we seem to have a dilema. I suggest a comprimise with somewhere big in between. I won't suggest where )leave it to you) but then we would all have to travel (except me..heehee, i live inbetween-ish anyway).

Place suggestions.....
Old 02-08-2003, 05:34 AM   #56
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've been away for ages and we've got no where well thats good, haven't missed anything then!

a list of people may be a good start?
Old 02-08-2003, 05:45 AM   #57
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
I'm one of the evil people responsible for setting the dreaded Year 9 SATS and making you poor guys do them.
WHAT?! Oh evil! Nah, we dont do them anyway- I did them in junior school, year 6, but my school doesnt do them in seniors.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:29 AM   #58
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well we do! But I wont hold it against you, oh no, not me.

* turns away, sharpening knife*

He he he... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 06:58 AM   #59
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aha i remember SATs you should try GCSEs they're ten times worse and you really can't be bothered to work for them at all equalling panic stricken teachers. join my school you'd see what i mean. i just sleep through most lessons. i mean it doesn't take a genesis to know that input is something you put in a system, thats been my textiles for the last week!! No joke!

anyway we're still not going anywhere with this are we!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:05 AM   #60
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Fin, you suggest somewhere inbetween? Why not have more than one!? That way people can attend whichever is closest to them, and if they are prepared to travel, to more than one!

As for a list of names, I would be quite happy to draw one up for each location if others post and say a preferred area.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:37 PM   #61
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
it doesnt take a genesis to work it out
a genesis? Hmmm, did I read that right, or have I just got GCSE choices on the brain (RS or music, RS or music...)

I wont be able to do it outside of Manchester, and it will be quite difficult for me to do there as well.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #62
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

If everybody PM's me with the nickname and location, I can right up a list and post it. This will save space on the board.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #63
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yipee, more old folk like me! I don't feel so uncomfortable on this thread now.
Just a thought - the YHA will 'rent' out their hostels for 'conferences' or 'educational purposes'. That way you have somewhere to stay and meet etc and it isn't too expensive. There are lots all over Britain so you could have one in the middle or London, or wherever!
Just ignore me if I'm talking pants again, I do so regularly, better head back to the RPGs.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #64
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

YHA?

I like the idea of meeting for shopping in the Trafford centre, but that would only work for females...
Old 02-09-2003, 03:25 PM   #65
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Look, as its undecided between London and Manchester, how about we have both?

That way, people like me won't need to grovel at their parents' feet, and there would be less people to manage.

I can't doeither the easter or Summer breaks hugely, as we are going to Russia, but half term would be good, or I could squeeze in end of march/late june (not summer break, but we are leaving on the first day of my hoilidays, so no can do there).

And whatever happened to WEEKENDS? I can do any weekend.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #66
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

hey el, I like shopping!

weekends might be alright for some people who live right next t the location but some people will have to travel or work on weekends.

I'll get a list of people to location sorted when everyone has PM'ed me and we can see where we stand.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:42 PM   #67
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't you think, though, that if we had both Manchester AND London not many people would be at each one.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:38 PM   #68
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Canterbury's nice too. It's been four years: I'm sure they'll have forgotten by now. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 06:42 AM   #69
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

four years since wot? (sorry, im slow)

Well, everyone PM me still, (i've only had 2) and i can right the list and then we can see wot will happen.

If people write what locations they want (or can suggest) and what we could do there as well, that would be nice.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:13 AM   #70
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, if I have it completely convineint for me, it would have to be in Bury St. Edmunds....... *strange looks* ok, ok. dragon, I tried....
Old 02-13-2003, 03:14 AM   #71
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

What do ppl think about going bowling? We could chat and have fun, and those places usually have loadz of stuff to do. Good idea??
Old 02-13-2003, 10:33 AM   #72
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Another idea for people around Manchester. The new Star wars movie will be out soon. We could go see that at the Trafford center, with parents if you want. We can spend two whole hours comparing it to LOTR, shouting "sauroman!" when Christopher Lee comes on ect. And for those who want to, shopping afterwards! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #73
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm surprised nobody has offered Oxford up as an apporpriate meeting place for Tokienist. Grab a drink at the Bird and Baby! (That wouldn't work for the year 9s, though...) (Not that I know anyone here, or was suggesting I would crash your party, I just thought the Eagle and Child would be the best venue...consider it a pilgrimage!)

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Dain ]
Old 02-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #74
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

eleanor_niphredil, you say the new star wars movie is out soon? You are mistaken my lady, it is not due to be released until may/june 2005 [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bowling would be enojyable but only offers a limited time. It may also seem a little odd to have people of all ages turning up to play together, some with parents.

Oxford indeed! There is an annual meeting, Oxonmoot I believe, (arelendil can tell you more about that) in the autumn sometime, if we could all wait that long.

Or, we could go ahead with these summer ones and still attend Oxonmoot, if that is possible. Also, that way, worried parents can attend the summer meeting and may feel a little more comfortable for their child to attend the second.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:40 AM   #75
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

2005!!!! I knew june, but I expected it to be at least this year!

I would love to go to Oxford, but for me, its just not possible. For Manchester people, how about a different movie? We can see what is out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 03:47 AM   #76
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
I'd be more than happy to meet up in or around London. Just not sure I'd really fit in unless there are a few more thirty-somethings around.
I may not be thirty-something yet, but I'm close enough for it to be breathing down my neck. You are not alone.

Quote:
four years since wot? (sorry, im slow)
Since I was a student there, of course. How else would I have done things that the town would need to forget? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]
Old 02-15-2003, 02:31 PM   #77
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

London's better than Manchester or Oxford. Bt my parents wouldn't take me cause they'd kill me if they knew i was on, oooooo, a forum. Even though my mum is sitting near me, but hey, I'm sneaky.... I'll go with dragon I guess
Old 02-19-2003, 09:15 AM   #78
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

BW, Sharku, Mr Underhill and I have been monitoring this thread and others like it. While we understand why members would want to meet one another, we are a bit concerned and wish to emphasize that care must be taken if you choose to arrange such a meeting.

First, the Barrow-Downs itself is not involved in organizing such meetings and does not intend to be in the future. These meetings are arranged by individuals or groups of individuals and we take no responsibility for the outcome. The decision to meet is made by individual members at their own risk. We are not providing transportation, accomodations or security and are not involved in the choice of locale or the agenda.

If you choose to meet, individually or in groups, please think it through, plan carefully and be careful! Meet in public with other persons present. Make sure that others know where you are going and who you are meeting. Think twice before providing personal information to other members such as e-mail addresses, telephone numbers or home addresses and do not send anyone money or credit card information.

We're sorry to throw a wet blanket over this but we are concerned about peoples' safety and want to emphasize that this is not an "official", sanctioned event sponsored by the Barrow-Downs. If you choose to meet, good luck and we hope that you enjoy yourselves. But please be careful!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #79
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thanks Mith.

Iv PMed everyone a little questionnaire to fill in, all questions are optional.

(BTW, I know the uselessness of asking for the Nickname when I just PMed you, but originally I was just going to put it on the board. But today I got some free time and PMed them all)

Thankz for the replies that have already come back.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #80
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Do you want mine again? Cause I sent it to you a while back.