The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #961
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Can we have a hint, please? This question kept me up last night and I still couldn't find a relationship between Legolas and Saruman. I think it might be something they said?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #962
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Can we have a hint, please? This question kept me up last night and I still couldn't find a relationship between Legolas and Saruman. I think it might be something they said?
Oh, Yes, indeed, since you ask, it was expressed by something they said. It was a kind of... common view of things Like for example if they had met somewhere (if they happened to sit together in an inn, or in a train or something ) and started to talk, they could discover that they have this thing in common.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #963
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Clearly this is a two-hint question.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #964
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
All right, you see, this is something they would both agree on, some kind of opinion they had in common, and they both expressed it in their words at some point. Each of them at least once. But they both did not necessarily express it just by words - only I think the words are most apparent.

Hmm, I had some better hint in mind last time when you asked, but unfortunately, I forgot it, apparently But if you ask for more hints, hopefully I can come up with something better. This is just for now.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #965
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Would it be something along the lines of both believing the time of the Elves to be over, and the time of Men beginning?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #966
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nay. I am sure there were more people who thought that - many Elves, like Galadriel, for example.

The thing in concern was expressed by Legolas in a far "milder" way than Saruman did. Nevertheless, it is obvious that their opinion on this thing is shared.

They would disagree on this with almost all the other characters in the Fellowship.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #967
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Pipe

They both disapproved of / were annoyed with other people smoking the weed of the halflings.
I don't have the books with me to give you exact quotes, but the situations were these:
- Legolas with his companions in the ruins of Isengard (Flotsam and Jetsam)
- Saruman with Gandalf at the White Council, before he took up the habit himself (somewhere in Unfinished Tales).
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #968
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Now, that's what I call a 'Downs entrée! It is exactly like that, indeed. Well done, and let me welcome you by the means of this on the Downs, Pitchwife! And you can post a new question here rightaway.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #969
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wow, good job there!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #970
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Now let me see... off the top of my head, here goes:

Tuor
Maglor
Thorin Oakenshield
Galadriel
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #971
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
They all played the harp?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #972
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hmm, the only thing I see connecting the dwarf to the other characters is Orcrist.

So, maybe they all had something made in Gondolin.

Thorin with Orcrist.
Galadriel with the Elessar.
Tuor had... Idril? Or something else, he did live there after all.
And Maglor...bah, no idea at all there.

EDIT: somehow I feel Lommy is correct.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #973
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
They all played the harp?
Exactly!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #974
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Alright, then.

What do

Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin

have in common with

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #975
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Both groups lost their horses/ponies at some point of the story? (FSMP at Bree, ALG on the outskirts of Fangorn Forest after their encounter with Saruman/Gandalf/Saruman's spectre/Gandalf's spectre/whoever it may have been...)
Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #976
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Pitchwife's connection is excellent, but I'll have a go.

Perhaps I would be right in saying that the third-person narrative only follows the four hobbits and the three hunters? It does not follow Gandalf or Boromir when they are alone. I do not remember if Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn are ever followed separately; maybe this is why you grouped them together.

(but the narrative also follows Fatty Bolger, and maybe more)

Last edited by Beregond; 12-30-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #977
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Pitchwife is on the right track, but I'd like him to give a more precise answer.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #978
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe that someone else deliberately got rid of the rides?

So this spectre/Saruman/whatever scaring the horses off into the plains of Rohan and someone else letting the ponies ride away in search of Lumpkin.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #979
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

I have a feeling it's more like:

Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin had their ponies scared off, but they were found by another horse: Fatty Lumpkin.

Aragorn, Legolas (and Gimli) had their horses, Arod and Hasufel, scared off, only to be found by another horse: Shadowfax.

So both groups had horses fall into the care of another..."uber-caretaker-equine" if you will.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #980
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Yes, Beregond, that's what I was thinking of. Please take the thread (unless you wish to be very gallant and give it to Pitchwife ).
Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #981
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

I actually do want to be very gallant and give it to him, because there's no way I would have connected the missing horses as the one thing in common! Like Morgoth, I merely "refined" what was there.

But I don't want to delay the thread. Pitchwife, if you see this, go ahead andask a new question! Otherwise, if a day has passed, I'll try to think one up myself.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #982
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Seems like a good solution.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #983
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thanks for the offer, Beregond, but I don't have a question ready at the moment and won't be able to post for a couple of days anyway. Go ahead!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #984
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Thumbs up

This is hard!

Okay - what do Glorfindel and Pippin have in common?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #985
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

They both have fair hair?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #986
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Thanks for guessing, but, no!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #987
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They are both saving somebody who is just fainting from being almost killed by Nazgul?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #988
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

That's a good connection, but not what I'm looking for.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #989
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe fighting to save someone they cared for?
Glorfindel with the Balrog like Pippin with the troll?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #990
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

I don't think that would be unique to them...

You're not warm.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #991
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Both of them left a jewel behind as a sign for somebody following: Glorfindel's beryl on the bridge of Mitheithel for Frodo and Aragorn, Pippin's Lorien brooch in the grass of Rohan for the Three Hunters. (Note that Aragorn was involved in both cases!)
Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #992
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Aha, very cunning, and 100% correct!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #993
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

That was a nice one.

OK - while we're talking about Glorfindel, what does he have in common with Fingolfin?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #994
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

I'd hate to kill this thread, so here's a hint: It happened to both of them after their death. (And yes, that means I'm talking about Glorfindel of Gondolin, whether he was the same person as Glorfindel of Rivendell or not.)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #995
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Their bodies were salvaged by Thorondor.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #996
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Ban was lifted?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #997
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Nerwen, you've got it - Thorondor the Winged Undertaker is the answer.
Your thread!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #998
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I have returned from delving into the prehistory of the Downs. All these ancient, forgotten names... what has become of those who bore them once? Do they lurk here still? Or have they moved onwards, seeking greener forums?

*blinks*

...Er, I mean, I've been going through this thread, looking for something that hasn't been done already. Quite hard.

Well, then. What do

Arwen

and

Celebrimbor

have in common?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #999
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

They both gave something valuable to Galadriel's keeping?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #1000
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Sorry, no. (But yes, Unfinished Tales is relevant).