The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2002, 07:07 AM   #1
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Your Ideal Cast

If there were an Oscar for Best Casting, I'm sure that even we would give it to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, hands-down. But nobody's perfect, after all, so who do you think should have replaced who in the movie?<P>Please note that this is <B>NOT</B> a thread for "wouldn't it be funny if Gollum was R2-D2?" or for endless droning on about how great or how awful one particular character was. If you can think of someone you'd honestly rather have cast instead of the actor that was, let's hear it!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:34 AM   #2
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought years ago that Peter O'Toole would have made a wonderfull Gandalf - blast that HP!
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:21 AM   #3
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Shield

Finally thought of one myself, it's actually pretty hard cos the cast were so good. <P>Jude Law (Gattaca, Road to Perdition) for Legolas. This was one of the many rumours before FOTR came out, and I think he'd bring a lot of energy and charm to the role. He's also a much better actor than Orlando.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I always thought Gwyneth Paltrow or Jemma Elfman(probably don´t know her, unless you´ve seen <I>Keeping the faith</I>) would have made a great Eowyn...and Ben Stiller as Faramir? He does, after all, have black hair...apart from that, I liked the cast the way it was... especially Viggo...
Old 01-02-2003, 04:28 AM   #5
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ben Stiller as Faramir? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL!! That's classic! I always think Zoolander when I think of Ben Stiller. Imagine Faramir giving his Blue Steel look to the Nazgul!<P>Gwyneth would've been a great addition to the films! I thought Cate Blanchett would've been an excellent Eowyn, tough, beautiful and smart. But she's such a great Galadriel, too, I dunno who could replace her.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Sting

I already said this in one thread but it would be more appropriate here. Arwen shoud have been played by that chick from Gladiator, the emperor's sister. I don't remember the actresses name, but I watched it the other day and I thought she would have made an AWESOME Arwen. She just seem to have more grace and age yet young at the same time, perfect elf characteristics. And she was playing a Roman lady of stature at the time. Anyway, if anyone recalls her name please let me know.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #7
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wasn't it Connie something? I agree, she was very interesting in Gladiator, and I did want to see more of her character. There was definitely something about her.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Nielson? Nealson? Something like that. Or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 01-17-2003, 08:36 PM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Shield

We haven't seen Denethor yet, but I think Liam Neeson would do a great job of his character. He could like tall and kingly. Aragorn is more of his usual role type though, the hero. Isn't it funny how a lot of great actors get kind of typecast? Look at Sean Bean, given his acting history he was really the only choice for Boromir.<P>I've made up my mind, and I think I'd rather have Cate Blanchett as Éowyn. Miranda Otto just seems a bit too down to earth, while bookÉowyn is supposed to be aloof and a real ice maiden. I'd then put either Gwyneth Paltrow, or maybe Kim Basinger (maybe too cheesy) as Galadriel. I'd really like to see Cate Blanchett in <B>both</B> roles, but even PJ wouldn't be <I>that</I> unrealistic.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:27 PM   #10
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd love to see Paltrow as Eowyn, though she might have to bulk up a little. She played a great "ice queen" in Great Expectations. And she already has experience getting weak in the knees for Viggo Mortensen in A Perfect Murder. <P>Elrond is a tough choice, I actually do like the look of Mr. Matrix, it is his rendition of the role that troubles me (chalk that up to Jackson I suppose). But in his stead I might propose Jeremy Northam, though I would have to see him in a wig first!<P>I really like the fact that I had no previous knowledge of many of the actors, it keeps me from being biased by their previous work.<P>Oh, and for Arwen I would put in Jennifer Connely (A Beautiful Mind), she's so purty....
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:15 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

David Jason as Frodo and Nicholas Lydhurst as Sam ...<P>"Mange tout, mange tout, Gollum my old son ... Sam, you plonker!"<P> <P>(Sorry, one for the Brits)
Old 01-18-2003, 04:47 AM   #12
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Dimannûnien has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

saucepan man..........lolol.......... <P>just remember they've already played Batman and Robin. Perhaps there could be a new career in there playing the great double acts from the annals of film and literature.
Dimannûnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:53 AM   #13
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cate Blanchett was beautfiful-but I wanted a more beautiful actress for Galadriel. I can't think of anyone right now. I'm sure there is any great unkown actress out there.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:09 PM   #14
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The biggest problem I had was with Hugo Weaving as Elrond. Besides that, everything was perfect. I think David Bowie would have made a PERFECT Elrond! (I do agree with P.J. though, David would have been too recognizable)
Old 01-18-2003, 04:15 PM   #15
Iarbariel
Pile O'Bones

Iarbariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iarbariel
Sting

It would've been kinda cool to have seen Bowie as Elrond lol<BR>But I'd rather like to have Catherine Zeta-Jones as Arwen instead of Liv Tyler.<BR>I think she has more "life" in her acting than Miss Tyler. My humble opinion though... :-)
Old 01-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Since you brought up Gladiator, Joaquin Pheonix would have put a different spin on Wormtongue. While Brad Dourif and his makeup job got across the revolting Worm aspect of the character, maybe Phoenix would have been a more seductive type Wormtongue. Someone you can believe won the confidence of the King, and it would have made that pause before Éowyn says, "Your words are poison" more believable. As if she was for a moment inclined to listen to him.<P>Well... It would be interesting to see. I thought he did a great job bringing Commodus to life. But PJ definitely had a different idea for Wormtongue, going for the revolting look instead. And maybe Phoenix is too young for a King's advisor character.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:40 PM   #17
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ooh, yes! Joaquin Phoenix would have been really good. I do think that both movies so far were extremely well cast though, and I find it very difficult to imagine other people in the roles.<BR>I wish there had been a part for Kenneth Branagh in there somewhere though...
Old 01-18-2003, 05:44 PM   #18
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan should have switched roles. Billy looks so much more like Merry, than Pippin, and the switch would work for Dominic too.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:13 PM   #19
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think David Bowie would have made a PERFECT Elrond! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, maybe - but I could not have watched it without thinking of <I>Labyrinth</I> and thinking that all those muppet-type goblins were going to spring out at any time. <p>[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-18-2003, 11:45 PM   #20
hairyscaryfairy

Pipe

I know he wasn't in the movie, but i think that Robin Williams would have made a perfect Tom Bombadil.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:29 AM   #21
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Hey! I'm not utterly alone. I also have always thought of Bombadil as Robin Williams. It isn't that I think he'd be an especially good choice to <I>act</I> Tom, but that's always how I pictured him...<BR>While we're on the subject of characters that weren't actually in the movies... I thought that Jason Isaacs (Daddy Malfoy) was awesome in Chamber of Secrets. I think he would have made a great Glorfindel.<BR>Keeping it in the fantasy (hee hee. Pun intended) realm, I think Ed Norton would have been a cool Halbarad. Of course, that's partially because I think Ed Norton would be a cool <I>anything,</I> but the point is valid nevertheless...
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:31 AM   #22
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Eye

Now come on, everybody knows that you can't be in LOTR if you're in Harry Potter!<P>
Old 01-19-2003, 06:01 AM   #23
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Can't you Dimannûnien? Which two excellent actors have been rumoured to fill Richard Harris' place in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban? It probably isn't true, but anyway...<BR> <p>[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 01-19-2003, 08:54 AM   #24
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Eye

i expect at least one of them as the first name Ian, and the second Christopher, especially as they already have the costume sorted, unless it's the other Ian.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #25
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Jude Law (Gattaca, Road to Perdition) for Legolas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>I saw Jude in Gattaca, and he was very good, in fact he reminded me of Orlando a bit... BUT I doubt he has<BR>the grace or humility that Orlando has when he portrays Legolas. I've always loved Orlando as Legolas, and NOT<BR>because he's good-looking. Plus Jude Law is too big of a star. I noticed that PJ/the casting director picked<BR>fairly unknown people: Elijah was sort of well-known, but he wasn't a big star, both Sir Ians and Christopher<BR>Lee had seen their day but (I really really hate to say this) were sort of forgotten to the acting world, Billy<BR>and Dominic, as well as Orlando, were complete unknowns... the list goes on. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I always think Zoolander when I think of Ben Stiller. Imagine Faramir giving his Blue Steel look to the Nazgul!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>OMG that would be so hilarious!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought that Jason Isaacs (Daddy Malfoy) was awesome in Chamber of Secrets. I think he would have made a great Glorfindel.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes yes! He would have made a great evil person as well... perhaps Faramir & Boromir's father (not that he's<BR>evil, but he's mean to Faramir)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think David Bowie would have made a PERFECT Elrond! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't think /perfect/, because I'm drawing my opinion from Labyrinth as well, but he'd probably be good. And<BR>he's no stranger to makeup, ornate hair, and fineness *grin*
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #26
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting ideas, all. Ben Stiller, umh... <P>Had I been the one doing the casting, I would just have given up when I had to choose someone to play Frodo. Everyone else I could always somehow imagine, but Frodo...Considering that, Elijah Wood was a very good choise. He's maybe not the perfect Frodo in every aspect, but has the right frodoish feel in him. And even that is a lot. <P>And I agree, Cate would've probably made a great Eowyn too.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #27
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://home.hccnet.nl/neturnia.wallpapers/lotr/" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is a site with pics of Sean Conery and other such people as Gandalf, Legolas, Frodo, Aragorn... It is very amusing! Go and see!
Old 01-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #28
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Being a big Connery fan ever since seeing "The Rock" I definitely would have cast Sean as Gandalf. <P>Brad Pitt as Boromir (just so we can see him get bombarded by arrows I know I know, I'm mean) <P>Cameron Diaz with dark hair probably could have portrayed Arwen much better. Cameron should have been in the film somewhere *sigh* <P>I can't think of anymore right now. With the exception of wanting Diaz in the film, it was very well casted. McKellan was a wonderful Gandalf and Boromir...well I just found it hard to like Boromir in the books or the movies, no matter who portrays him!

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #29
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Great link, Arwen. Doesn't Sean make a good Gandalf.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:07 AM   #30
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Whoo, Arwen you beat me to it with that link. Isn't it hilarious? I have been doing a lot of exploring recently, and that was one of the better things I found.<P>I like Yoda as Gollum.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:53 PM   #31
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Whoo, Arwen you beat me to it with that link. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <P>Hey, it doesn't happen very often! <P>I think Sean Conery looks too evil to be Gandalf. Leonardo doCaprio as Legolas was just wrong, I will have nightmares for weeks about that one!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #32
Veon
Pile O'Bones

Veon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But I'd rather like to have Catherine Zeta-Jones as Arwen instead of Liv Tyler.<BR>I think she has more "life" in her acting than Miss Tyler. My humble opinion though... :-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, I suggested that on a Swedish web board a couple of days ago.<P>"Suttit och kollat på tv och kommit fram till att Catherine Zeta-Jones hade varit bättre i rollen som Arwen. Snyggare, mognare, bättre skådespelare."<P>"Been watching TV and come to the conclusion that Catherine Zeta-Jones would have been better in the role of Arwen. Better looking, more mature, better actress."<P>I got some responses, some of which I hadn't thought of.<P>Anders
Old 02-10-2003, 07:00 PM   #33
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Stick with Elijah Wood as Frodo, but when he's 15 years older and a bit smarter. He may not be empty-headed, but he sure looks like it.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:32 PM   #34
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Arwen shoud have been played by that chick from Gladiator <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>that was indeed connie nielsen, fingo, yeah she would have made a great arwen too . she has that aloofness you seem to feel of arwen in lotr. imho though liv was not bad, plus she has that ethereal quality that other actresses will have difficulty simulating onscreen too.<P>me and a mellon similarly steeped in lotr think that miranda otto was, well, too beautiful and warm for eowyn the shieldmaiden. someone else who can be a lot more aloof and more obstinate-looking would have been an improvement. maybe jenna elfman would've been great ('cept i'd always imagine her breaking into her kooky dharma grin and chirping "hi sweetie!"). how about kate hudson, eh?<P>jude law as legolas, that rocks! jude has that kind of self-assured "i know who and what i am" demeanor that'll suit legolas. ollie was great, too, but as a mellon again told me he was a little two-dimensional as legolas. to which i replied, "well wasn't legolas in the book?"
Old 02-11-2003, 06:55 AM   #35
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

From the Silmarillion cast discussion...<P>Joaquin Phoenix would have been a great Feanor, dark and powerful<P>Guy who played Lucius malfoy would be a good Thingol, proud and strong, but elf-like.<P>BTW, on that alternate actors site (linked to above), Julia Roberts doesn't actually look too bad as Arwen (please don't stone me).<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 02-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #36
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Julia Roberts as Arwen? Hmmmmmmm....<P>How about Kristian Kreuk, of Smallville as Luthien?

Old 02-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #37
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please don't kill me, but I just have to say it.... <BR>What about Pierce Bronsen as Aragorn?<BR>Just the thought make me laugh. But hey, he is a good actor! You never know!!
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #38
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah but if it was Pierce Brosnan then he would've had to sleep with every female character, wear a nice suit, and not have a hair out of place. <P>Viggo, made a perfect Aragorn, BTW.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #39
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Personally I think that Sir Alec Guinness would have made an outstanding Gandalf; alas, he's gone to where there are no more casting calls. Not knocking Sir Ian, you understand, he did a great job. I just think that Guinness's performance would also have been something fantastic to watch.<P>Connie Nielsen would make a good Arwen, but I'm not a Liv-hater, I think she rose to the occasion quite well. The trouble I have with picturing most of the other proposed actors (except for Sean Connery) is simple, and it can be summed up in five words: California Accent, Too Well Known. <P>Now I know this isn't quite fair, that they'd have accent coaches and so forth, and while I've never seen Wood or Astin in anything else they probably sound fairly California in everyday life as well. But coaching only takes you so far; there has to be some natural linguistic aptitude for it or you'll never do it very well. There are tons of movies where the accents are horrendously inconsistent; drifting from Assumed Accent to California Accent and back again. Kevin Costner's Robin Hood is a prime offender, as is Titanic (Suuuure he was from Wisconsin). And the trouble with a California Accent, lovely as it is, is that it has the indisputable smack of the present day. I'm not saying that it hasn't existed for a long time (I don't know if it has or not) but fairly or unfairly, it is very strongly associated with *now* in America, with computers, taken-for-granted plumbing, and X-boxes. It's the same way that having an Oxford accent is associated (again, not necessarily correctly) with being old-fashioned, stuffy, and hyper-educated. To hear a 21st-century-sounding accent coming out of a person in ME would break the mood faster than you can say "Dude, where's my Ring?"<P><BR>But the insurmountable trouble with Cameron Diaz, Leonardo DiCaprio (who I have to say makes a convincing LOOKING Legolas, he just wouldn't SOUND that great) Julia Roberts, and so forth is that their faces are very well known and are already identified with very, very different types of movies: Titanic was a big production but plot was hardly one of its selling points; Something About Mary is hilarious but again, it's in a different universe from LOTR. Erin Brockovich? Don't get me started. It would be impossible to look at Cameron-Arwen and not think "Hair gel!" Again, like the accents, we'd be yanked back into the present century whenever we so much as looked at her, unless she was so heavily made up as to be unrecognizable - which would defeat the purpose, rather.<P>Sorry about the longwindedness. Just my $0.02 1/2
Old 02-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #40
Purple Monkey
Animated Skeleton

Purple Monkey has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Stuart Townsend as Aragorn!<BR><p><BR>Alas for my hot-headed Irish brethren! However, a certain Thomas Spratt would have excelled as our dear Legolas. And what about the wonderful Paul Bettany as a hobbit? Merry perhaps? *thinks*<BR>Lily Savage as Galadriel?