The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2002, 01:46 AM   #1
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420! Look at this article...

Look at this article on TTT. <A HREF="http://ae.bayarea.com/entertainment/ui/bayarea/movie.html?id=81272&reviewId=10667" TARGET=_blank>HERE</A>.<P>What do you think? I think that this guy is a quack and has no idea what the hell he's talking about. I don't even think he read the books. THe things that really got to me were his reference of the twin towers, his take on the movie in terms of violence, and mostly, the once again ignorant view on industrialization. I think that the rating (2 1/2) was absurd. I already sent him an email, so I don't want to type everything over again. I just want to say that -- 1.TTT does not have anything to do with 9/11 -- 2.Of course there will be that much violence if the movie is based on the book -- 3.Any given part of middle-earth does not represent anything in/on our world at all, past or present or even future. But whether something influenced him is another topic.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:02 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I don't read newspapers. This article gives one of the reasons why.<P>(even if it wasn't in a newspaper, it potentially could have been, so don't bother pointing that out if it was an internet article!)
Old 12-19-2002, 09:00 AM   #3
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
That guy is full of BS. You're right, he probably hasn't read the book. He probably doesn't get any of it. When people critize things, most of the time, they don't know about it.
________
Iolite comfort care package

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:41 AM   #4
Ainalondwen
Pile O'Bones

Ainalondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must bite my tongue or else I will be kicked out of the B-Ds for swearing far too much in one reply. But I will say this;<P>That guy knows Sweet FA (sorry).<P>He's probably just wanting to rile some fans. He suceeded.<P>Prat.

Read Feist
Ainalondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The mysterious Gollum...arrives and puts them back on course like a kind of shriveled up Global Positioning Satellite.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ha! That's pretty funny anyway. That bit about Gollum sounding like Yoda is crap though. As we all know, Gollum preceded Yoda by many decades.<P>Just what exactly are you all so "riled" about? Most of that, despite being sarcastic and skewed, was more or less true. I was certainly tasting blood after Helm's Deep.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #6
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ok, don't get me wrong on what I am about to say, cause I agree completely with the rest of you. This guy is a total lunatic! But can you help his ignorance of such a fascinating story? He is just another blind reporter who cannot see the real meaning behind it. Sadly, there are many yet still out there. I'm not going to get too mad over his stupidity. Cause I have read too many other articles that have just set me off. I almost started rolling in the floor laughing at this article though. I mean, that is so funny that someone can actually think that about this movie! LOL!!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:31 PM   #7
Eruwen

Tolkien

Oh, and by the way, (Sorry for the double posting thing) if you really want to get a mouth full of movie criticism, go <A HREF="http://www.tolkienonline.com/docs/8215.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A><P>This guy wrote a review on the movie, and he basically said it sucked bad, and he didn't know why he got all excited over it in the first place. Now I havn't seen it yet, (not til tomorrow night) but I know it cannot be that bad. Not after seeing all of those awesome previews and clips. Nuh uh.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:46 PM   #8
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Those people are so full of BS. Okay, yes, I will admit that the Movie is a bit different from the Book; it was changed, but it was changed <I>well</I>. The things they did change still seemed to work with the main plot.<P>The only thing I found a bit irritating was how Arwen kept showing up. If they'd have cut those parts out, we might have had time to see Shelob. <P>Other than that, I thought the Movie was excellent. Better than the first.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:29 PM   #9
Eruwen

Tolkien

No need to get upset, Maeglin. People have their opinions. I personally don't like Arwen either but that has nothing to do with it. <P>But I just can't get over how funny some of these people are. They are just so blind to see what is right in front of them. It's hilarious to me.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #10
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wasn't seriouce about that rudeness. <P>How come people like him are allowed to write such stuff anyway?
Old 12-19-2002, 05:34 PM   #11
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I am really ****ed about it. He can write about it if he wants to, even if he's wrong. But I do get worked up about these articles, for two main reasons. First, being what he said. It was just so wtong and ignorant. And secondly, this article is being read by many people. It is going to have some effect on how they view TTT. Maybe its because of articles like these that I hear people say, "I'm gonna see the Twin Towers today!!!"<P>Oh, and yes, this was an article in a newspaper from San Jose, CA.

-Willie
Old 12-20-2002, 04:50 PM   #12
Shadowstrife911
Animated Skeleton

Shadowstrife911 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowstrife911
Sting

"In one battle, the riding steeds resemble really well-fed wild boars, and they're just as deadly as the armored soldiers who sit astride them."<BR> - Thats cause they were Wargs (Wolves)and not horses <P>"Even without the obvious connection to the twin towers brought down on Sept. 11 -- a symbolic link which the picture does not seem to shy away from -- Tolkien's ``Two Towers'' is by any measure a darker story than last year's ``The Fellowship of the Ring.''}<BR> - Symbolic link? I didn't see any terrorists bringing down Orthnac or Barad-dur.<P>"The mysterious Gollum, who has been stalking them since the end of the last movie, arrives and puts them back on course like a kind of shriveled up Global Positioning Satellite."<BR> - Thats cause he's been to Mordor and back... did this guy even see the movies?<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Shadowstrife911 ]
Old 12-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #13
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Methinks a certain author had a pre-formed opinion on the movie and therefore didn't really pay any attention to it...
Old 12-21-2002, 05:36 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Can I hazard a guess at the writer's nationality? American?<P>(I realise if I'm wrong I'm going to look really stupid, but hey! I take risks)
Old 12-21-2002, 06:08 PM   #15
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

He is American. The article is from San Jose, California in the U.S. Have you ever heard of the San Jose sharks? It's a hockey team from the city this article came from. San Jose is south of San Francisco.

-Willie
Old 12-21-2002, 06:22 PM   #16
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Did you see who was starring? Sean Bean!
Old 12-24-2002, 12:44 AM   #17
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is just another journalist with no taste and a p.c. agenda. Ignore him.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:21 AM   #18
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> This is just another journalist with no taste and a p.c. agenda. Ignore him <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nah, we have to put up arguments to all his complaints to show how much we know and how much he doesn't. Man, we're arrogant little buggers, huh? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That won't deter the eager conscripts, who faithfully have worn their Elvish decoder rings since last Christmas, from charging into this three-hour conflict. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hmmph... I'll have you know that my ring was pure plastic gold! Decoder rings. Sheesh, this guy doesn't mind making enemies, does he?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Meanwhile, Frodo seems to be suffering some kind of visual indigestion from bearing the ring toward Mordor, and becomes lethargic and depressed as he and Samwise (Sean Astin) realize they are going in circles in the mountains. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Duh! It's called the influence of the ring! Yeah, this guy's never read the books. Or even tried to.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Gollum even talks like Yoda, advising the boys as he leads them out of the wilderness: ``My shadows you must be.''<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He says, "Swift and quick as shadows we must be." for crying out loud. And isn't it not so much Gollum being Yoda but Yoda copying Gollum? Gollum did talk that way in the books, it wasn't some made up whim.<P>I know my arguments are kind of pathetic and not up to usual standards, but I'm in a rush.