The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2002, 11:22 PM   #1
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Pipe Guest from Middle Earth

If you could have one person from Middle Earth over to your house WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THEM?
Old 03-18-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Err, just a heads-up, don't get low in this thread.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 11:27 PM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

We promises to Behave! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Good Master, Good Precious!
Old 03-18-2002, 11:28 PM   #4
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that it would be Galadriel. I would try to get the Lembas recipe from her, or at least let her make some for me.

If not her, then Aragorn. I could just set there and listen to him for hours.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd invite some dwarves over and have them finish my home remodeling. I hear dwarves are great with drywall.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:28 AM   #6
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd invite Gandalf and learn the art of fireworks! and setting fire to the neighbours roof! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Seriously, i'd love to learn a little magic and wisdom, i lack sadly on both counts

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would invite Frodo, and we would drink wine and miruvor (yes, I have some), and we would talk about the legends of the Silmarillion and the grace of Eru Iluvatar. And if I dared, I would ask him recite a poem.

I can almost see him, sitting on my bed (which is so high I had to lift him there), looking at me with his serious eyes, then looking around at my paintings on the walls, the computer that dominates a corner like an altar to some unknown god, the treasury of books, fingering the white jewel of Arwen nervously amid all this strangeness. I can see him relax as I pour more wine, not too much, mind you. He begins to speak, not about adventures, but about things at the borders of them, mountains and forests, the Shire, the sea...
And now he smiles at me, and says:
'I've seen it, you know, I've seen the bay of Eldamar and fair Aman beyond it. I've seen Elvenhome from afar. What more could I ask?'
And I sit down beside him, and hear myself say:
'I wish I could only see it in a dream.'

And now he whispers to me:
'Maybe you will. You just dreamed me Namarié!'

And now he is gone, and I sit here and stop writing.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

1420!

Joy, maybe if you got Galadriel REALLY, REALLY DRUNK you could get the recipe out of her!
Old 03-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #9
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas, no doubt! I would like him to learn me how to handle a bow... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:01 PM   #10
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For Me, it would be Frodo. I would answer the door promtely, thank him for coming, asking him to come in, I would offer to take his coat, and hang it on the pegs, by my door, I do like company you know. Then, I would offer him a cup of tea and lunchen as I lead him to the Study. If he accepts, I will excuse myself to the kitchen where the kettle is ready and sandwiches, and cakes are ready. Then I would sat up a little tray, which I would take back to my study, and sat it on the short table, between the two short chairs(I'm rather short myself, small things for small people as Da said). I would pour him a cup of tea, and hand it to him, as he sat in the chair across from, before the fire. Prehapes, he would complement me upon my collocetion of books and stories. Prehapes, I would ask if he'd like to hear some poems, from some of my favorite poets. Should he accept, I would gracefully, as I can, resite them. Then, I don't think, I would be albe, to keep, from asking about the Shire, and hope he would tell me. We would spend many an hour of that day, infront of my little fire place in the study, with tea, and many honey cakes, baked freashly that morning, by me. And as the sun goes down, I will invite him to supper, and hastily, but carefully, and loveling prepare a hearty dinner, prehapes a roast with a side of mushrooms. And we would sat down to dinner in the dinning room, with a bottle of wine, and chat more, about Middle Earth, or the legends he knew. He would have to tell me some, as I do not know all, and I would be most intreged and always listening. As supper ended, and the moon just rising, I would ask him, should he care to walk in the garden and down to the pound and we would leave my little home and take the path through my garden, as the flowers were still blooming and my roses were fragrent. We would chat all the more, prehapes of Bag End and the places he loved to walk in the Shire. Prehapes of Sam and his gardening.We wood come to the pound a sat a spell, watching the moon rise over the pound. Then when it was time to go, We would go back to my home, so that he can retrive his coat and walking stick, and I would most graciously thank him, so much for coming to visit, and hope that he will come again one day, so that we may talk of more things. As he set off the down the lane, I would watch, contetnly from my door, overjoyed of the fact that he visited me. I would close my door softly, when he was out of sight and clean up, then go to bed, only to dream of Middle Earth.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i would invite boromir. he and i would then saddle up, after a cozy meal and a good talk, and ride to gondor where he would show me the sights of his country and the delights of his city.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:39 PM   #12
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin.

I'd invite him roud for breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, and supper with lashings of ale.

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 01:46 PM   #13
Brimstone Goldenwing
Animated Skeleton

Brimstone Goldenwing has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'd invite Gandalf and learn the art of fireworks! and setting fire to the neighbours roof!
Ditto! That would be fun! Muahaha! Or maybe setting a school on fire! Oh of all the fun.. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Telepathic powers and strength of the gods,
Gives them an advantage that beats all the odds,
Elves and orks and humans alike,
All have a fear of the dragon’s great bite,
And nobody dares to fight the great creature,
For there’s something to fear of its every little feature.
-"Dragon's Feast", part of poem by David Bankson
Brimstone Goldenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 03:39 PM   #14
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I would invite one of each race so I could learn about their cultures and other interesting stuff! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 04:15 PM   #15
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know. Galadriel would be cool. Aragorn or Boromir would be really really cool but then I'd be too freaked out to say much.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 04:36 PM   #16
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'd invite my father, Elrond. We'd catch up on all those lost years! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2002, 04:41 PM   #17
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
The Eye

Gollum. Then I'd get him to a psychiatrist!
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 04:49 PM   #18
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thumbs up

I'm with you Starbreeze, Mixed company makes things much more interesting.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:38 PM   #19
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Sting

Let's see, i would invite the whole fellowship ((sorry i couldn't resist it))First, I would answer the door and standing there would be Aragorn and Legolas, they both would bow and I would ask them to come in, I would serve them a bit of wine and a cake to eat. Then would come Merry Pippin Sam Frodo Gimli and Boromir. Merry and Pippin would be making people laugh as usual, Frodo Sam and Boromir would be chatting amidbly and they'd come in with Gandalf close behind them. While everyone ate I would be talking to Gandalf. Then we'd goto the back yard so we could all talk to each other. I would bring up their skills, like Gandalf's magic Gimlis ability with an axe, Legolas's bow, the hobbits smoke rings, Boromir's and Aragorn's sword skills. I would ask them to show me some tricks and then we would get absorbed in teaching, I would be bad at everything except archery and sword. Then they would have to leave and it would be a sad parting.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:17 PM   #20
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question

Oh, goodness....I'm a daydreamer. I'd love to fix up a reunion between Frodo and Sam. I wouldn't care if either of them spoke word one to me, I'd love to just listen to them both remenice. I'd probably have to go in and out of the house to get new boxes of Kleenex 'cause Sam would be bawling so hard...
Sigh...if it was just my Fave lil' hobbit alone, (Sam), I'd love to just sit and talk to him out in my garden. (sigh...I'd probably be extremely embarrassed at the poor condition of my flowers, and I can imagine Sam demanding to know where my garden tools are and after I brought them to him, he'd probably get to work and work the whole time he's talking--wether about the "old days", Rosie and the kids, or--I guess I wouldn't even mind him scolding me about how badly my flowers were taken care of....sigh. Me loves Sam. Me can't help it.
Quote:
'Yes, I am with you, Master,' said Sam...'And you're with me. And the journey's finished. But after coming all that way I don't want to give up yet. It's not like me, somehow, if you understand.'"
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 10:39 PM   #21
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

If we could have several people, I'd ask all four hobbits. Merry and Pippin would be great raconteurs and could tell the stories of their adventures (somehow I think that they way they describe things might be *slightly* less stately than in the canon version), Sam would graciously ignore the rather primitive quality of my cooking, and Frodo could help me out with the difficult parts of Westron grammar, since he probably wouldn't want to reminisce too much and seems like a linguistically talented type anyway (of COURSE we'd be speaking Westron!)
Old 03-20-2002, 02:05 AM   #22
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

I think it would have to be Frodo and Sam together. I would be a polite hostess and try to offer foods they would enjoy. But really I would want them to tell stories when the meal was over. Not stories about Rings or Elves or Kings, but simple stories about the Shire and the green beauty of the land and how their friendship grew and blossomed. And, if they began to feel very relaxed, perhaps over a beer or two,we might sing together. I would teach them songs I knew and they could teach me some of the tunes that Hobbit children sing. We would laugh and be a little silly and forget for just a minute the pain and sadness that had fallen on their heads and the crazy insanity that also comes from living in the 21st century. And as the stars came out in the sky, we would gaze up and offer thanks to Varda and feel the sweet gift of being alive. Come again soon............sharon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2002, 04:10 PM   #23
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

So, Samwise, is giving a gardener garden tools anything like giving a mouse a cookie? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (Sorry if that went over your head, it might be one of those inside jokes that only my brain and I get.)

I'd invite...Smaug. Just kidding! I may not be pleased with my apartment but I don't hate it that much!

Seriously, I'd like to have Pippin over. He probably wouldn't mind the mess which is my apartment, so I'd feel better. I'd ask him if he'd like any of the scant provisions to be found in my fridge and on my pantry shelves then take him out to eat since I wouldn't have anything worth eating at my place. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] We'd probably stop by Subway (since I'm certain he'd like to try something a bit different), and just sit there and talk for a while. Talk about his family, Shire life and doings, how he felt about Frodo leaving, etc. I might even ask him for a song if I were brave enough. Then, when it was time for him to go, I'd ask to come too. Hopefully, he'd say yes.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:51 PM   #24
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
So, Samwise, is giving a gardener garden tools anything like giving a mouse a cookie? (Sorry if that went over your head, it might be one of those inside jokes that only my brain and I get.)
Over my head!?!? Miss Rosa, was that a crack about my height!?!? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Seriously, I'm a preschool teacher, so I happen to know what you're talking about.
Hm. "If you give a gardner a trowel, he'll probably..." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
"That's all I know." stammered Sam, blushing. "I learned it from Mr. Bilbo when I was a lad. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 03-22-2002, 01:47 AM   #25
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I like your new picture ,Samwise. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]And congratulations on your new princehood!

[ March 22, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 03-22-2002, 08:05 AM   #26
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd have Gandalf round, and he would tell me all about the entire history of Middle Earth, so he might be staying with me for a long time! Either him or and good-looking elf bloke who would fall in love with me as soon as i opened the door!
Old 03-22-2002, 04:30 PM   #27
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Per Raefindel:
Quote:
I like your new picture ,Samwise. And congratulations on your new princehood!
Thank you much on both counts. The other day I ordered the statuette in that pic, and I can't wait forittogethere'causeIhavethePERFECTPLACEFORIT!!!!! !!!!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"But you won't send him off alone, Master?" cried Sam, unable to contain himself any longer.
"No, indeed!" said Elrond. "You at least shall go with him. It is hardly possible to separate you from him. "
Old 03-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #28
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Oh, and no--I'm NOT excited about it.
Quote:
Sam sat down, blushing and muttering.
"A nice pickle we have landed ourselves in, Mr. Frodo! he said, shaking his head.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:37 PM   #29
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

My father Elrond, King Legolas, and I wish to extend a hearty congratulations to you on your promotion, Samwise Gamgee!
Yep, "daddy" Elrond & I are still chatting! Told y'all we had a lot to catch up on! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2002, 04:44 PM   #30
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

I'd love to have Aragorn over and listen to his tales and to help me improve my sword-fighting. Gandalf would also be great for what Gayalondiel said. ~_^ Fire is your friend.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #31
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would love to have Bilbo Baggins over for tea. Hopefully, he would bring a few Elves from Rivendell with him, and I'd just have to ask him to recite some of his poetry. We could spend the afternoon singing of the Eldar Day. Ah, what a wonderful day that would be.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2002, 05:19 PM   #32
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
My father Elrond, King Legolas, and I wish to extend a hearty congratulations to you on your promotion, Samwise Gamgee!
Yep, "daddy" Elrond & I are still chatting! Told y'all we had a lot to catch up on!
Sam: *bowing silightly* Thank you, yer highness, ma'am. Please give yer family my best. "
Stacey: *Jeez, this is gonna go straight to the top of his little curly head...* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Eavesdropping!", cried the wizard. "To punish you properly for listening, you shall go away with Frodo."
"Me Sir!", cried Sam. "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray! "
Old 03-22-2002, 05:28 PM   #33
Vinyacairwen
Pile O'Bones

Vinyacairwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyacairwen
Sting

I'd probably invite Aragorn. No reason really, besides the fact he's my favorite character. What would we do..ah..don't know O.o. Dun like tea ::heheh::.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:13 PM   #34
Greycloak
Animated Skeleton

Greycloak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I'd rather go to middle earth than have one of them here. I'd go hunting in Mirkwood.
Greycloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:51 PM   #35
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Sting

I'm with Greycloak, I would rather go to Middle-Earth then have Middle-Earth come to me if you take my meaning. Ah!!! what did I just say, I'm turning into a hobbit!But I like being tall. Ehem... back to the post heh heh heh [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img],I would go to Rivendell and visit Elrond and Gandalf. I would be too embarrassed to have people over at my house. I don't even want my friends over at my house. But if I had to have some one over it'd be Gandalf and he could teach me how to speak Quenya [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Then i wouldn't be so completly amatuer at all this middle-earth stuff. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ March 22, 2002: Message edited by: Luinsewiel ]
Old 03-22-2002, 09:07 PM   #36
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

We don't care if you're an ameture, that's not what it's about. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2002, 01:27 AM   #37
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Quote:
Over my head!?!? Miss Rosa, was that a crack about my height!?!?
Woops! Heh heh, sorry 'bout that. Wasn' meanin' nothin' by it, Master Gard'ner. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Seriously, I'm a preschool teacher, so I happen to know what you're talking about.
Hm. "If you give a gardner a trowel, he'll probably..."
Yes, I'm not alone! "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" is an awesome book! (The sequels aren't near as good, though.) I have no shame. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2002, 10:55 AM   #38
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Sting

I would still be way to embarrassed/shy to have anyone over at my house probably to even meet them in the first place [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2002, 01:02 PM   #39
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Woops! Heh heh, sorry 'bout that. Wasn' meanin' nothin' by it, Master Gard'ner
Sam: I knew that, Miss Rosa. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Nothin' to worry about.
Quote:
Yes, I'm not alone! "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" is an awesome book! (The sequels aren't near as good, though.) I have no shame.
Stacey: Not at all! Goodness, I find stuff for "children" better than stuff for "grown-ups" half the time....[/QUOTE] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"What about the elves?" said Sam, too excited. "Can't we go and see them? "
Old 03-23-2002, 01:21 PM   #40
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

O.T. - Samwise, the perfect place for your new statue would be the garden! (Unless it's made out of something that melts when it rains or something. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote