Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2002, 09:12 AM   #201
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Marileangorifurnimaluim is a cool name, but if you had to shout it to stop the host of a party turning and staying invisible.... erm, sorry, never mind... My name isnt exatly short anyway, at three words, but thats cos in real life my name is all of 3 letters...
Old 10-12-2002, 11:10 AM   #202
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

how long til the pizza part starts? see im not sure on the time difference?
Or has it started?
Old 10-12-2002, 11:15 AM   #203
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Go to the Lonely Mountain discussion thread.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:23 AM   #204
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

thankyou beth im going now *rubs hands in anticipation*
Old 10-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #205
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL, Aman, you remembered that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thenamir, for brevity's sake you may call me 'M.' Most people just say gesundheit anyways. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Okay, folks, we're off.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:46 AM   #206
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Is it possible for us students to get a grade on how we are progressing with the RPG, are we living up to expectations or are we woefully inadequate? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #207
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

FYI:

I believe we are about 22 days now into the game, real time.

That leaves 23 days, realtime, to get the troops to the Audience.

One other point:

We are all headed to Minas Anor, in Gondor. ARNOR is a quite different location - far north of Gondor.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:23 PM   #208
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

23 days left?! argh, we arent even at rivendell yet!
Old 10-15-2002, 01:59 PM   #209
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Alkanoonion - Ask your mentor how you're doing. They'll be happy to tell you!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:13 PM   #210
Tharkűn
Pile O'Bones

Tharkűn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Meril and Pio,

I'll wait for a new post on the game thread from either of you before I do my next post.

Tharkűn
Old 10-16-2002, 06:08 AM   #211
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Alk --

Check out the Harad thread and look for a pm. See you later.

sharon
Old 10-16-2002, 07:33 AM   #212
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Almost since this game has started, I have received a flood of comments which evolved into complaints from nearly all the Mentors.

These comments are:

1. Players are not posting regularly, and sometimes not at all;

2. Players are not putting effort into the RPG;

3. Players are not posting unless prodded into responding to posts by the Mentors;

4. Players are not running their own characters, let alone the game, and are relying upon the Mentors to advance the story;

5. The Mentors are forced to be in charge of the game and the Players merely tag along.

Its gut-check time. This game is an experiment. It is part of a conscious effort to improve the level of posting and RPGing in this forum using the Mentors to try and help Players rise to the occaision. While some Players have responded, many others have not and some have "voted with their feet".

The idea was to have the Players run the game themselves with an occaisional post or behind the scenes comment by the Mentors. Instead, the Mentors have been forced to run the game, guiding the action and movements of their teams and sometimes doing the lion's share of posting.

The Mentors have invested significant time in this game as volunteers. They have no desire to act as hall monitors for recalcitrant students. Some question whether the game should even continue due to the apparent lack of interest by the Players in advancing the game.

What do the Players have to say? Is this a failed experiment? Was it too complicated? Are you all willing to dedicate a little time to make the game work? Are you willing to actively run your characters and your teams, letting the Mentors settle into the sidelines? Because if you are not willing, I am not sure this game should continue.

My initial reaction to all these complaints was to shut the RPG thread and post this to see if there would be any positive response. At the request of a few Mentors, I have left the RPG thread open -- FOR NOW.

Let's hear it people! Speak now or forever hold your peace!
Old 10-16-2002, 08:43 AM   #213
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Keep it open! I haven't been putting enough time into the RPG, I must admit, but being away and things made it difficult. I will from now on!

Come on people! post!

Varda
Old 10-16-2002, 10:25 AM   #214
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please keep the thread open..I've depended on Susan a little, but from now on, I will run my character as actively and as independently as possible, and put more time into the RPG.

The RPG is very interesting, I don't think it is too complicated, and it is a wonderful way to let new roleplayers learn. Please keep it open!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:48 AM   #215
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

a rousing speech mithadan!

dont close it please, im actually about to post now. I just didnt for a while due to a latin project. sos.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:11 PM   #216
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

well First of all im having a blast with this RPG and it is improving my creative writing skills.

Second My Mentor stayes pretty busy which is understandable so she isnt always there to help, but i have recieved good help from Mentors outside my Realm.

Third my only other partner ran in to dificulty posting and is unable to play at this time.

So to Sum things up I am the only one playing for my Realm, Im on my own. BUT im enjoying it greatly

So i would like to see what happens at the end of this story, but even if you do decide to close it i would like to say this has been an enjoyable experienced and i cant wait to get involved in my "Second" RPG

Glen Sight
Old 10-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #217
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

This a magnificent RPG! The quality and depth of thought that has thus far gone into it is quite good IMHO. Leave the thread open.

As for myself, Bethberry knows why I have not been able to participate, now that I am however, I look forward to seeing it through to the end. My thanks to all those who had the vision to attempt such an undertaking.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:17 PM   #218
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Rivendell's problem at this time is this: we really don't have anything to do. This isn't your fault, Shirefolk and Blue Mountain dwellers.

However, I would like my players to at least post in the discussion forum for Rivendell so I at least know you're alive! And maybe we can all try to do some character development?
Old 10-16-2002, 02:24 PM   #219
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Keep it open! hehehe. I don't think the dwarves of Erebor have depended upon Bethberry tooooooo much, but she does play one of the main characters, as in the beginnning we has trouble with one of our members. She is a great Mentor, and she has great suggestions! Please keep it open? I have a limited time on the computer for a week or two more, and I have been spending it working on this RPG. Its worth it, I promise!!

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 10-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #220
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

I am at School all day then i am only allowed to have limited time on the net so i am tring! Please dont close it!

Celebmornie
Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 PM   #221
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Yay! We're here! At Rivendell!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:03 PM   #222
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Halleluia! Now we elves won't have to spend all our time TRIPPING OVER EACH OTHER!
Old 10-16-2002, 04:03 PM   #223
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Please do not close the RPG, I have been posting only once a day but I am trying to put substance into my post. For each post that I submit, I have spent at least 2 hrs preparing and reading to my sister for her input and ideas on how my character should evolve. This is not an easy exercise but with time and effort I am sure that this will be the best RPG on the board. Lets all take pride in our work and start enjoying this experience, as for losing people, well if they want to waste such a unique opportunity than that’s their loss. Also the mentors are doing a great job, Thank you Child of the 7th Age for all your help.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:04 PM   #224
Tharkűn
Pile O'Bones

Tharkűn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mithadan,

Please keep the thread open. I admit that I haven't been posting every day, but I have my hands wrapped up in school work, and since I'm in the substory with Pio and Maril, I haven't had much to do with the main story.

Tharkűn
Old 10-16-2002, 04:12 PM   #225
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

I'm also one of those people who don't post every day. I just don't have the time. I have a lot of schoolwork, and to spend two hours a night preparing a post would just mess it all up. I post as often as I can and make it as good as I can get it.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:30 PM   #226
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Mithadan: Please, please keep this open! I know that I can only post about once or twice a day, but it is still one of the best RPG's I belong to now!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:16 PM   #227
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

MITHADAN

I intend for both the southern and northern approach parties from Dale to be at the audience with King Elessar. I would appreciate the game staying open until then.

Thanks! -- Pio, the competitive
Old 10-16-2002, 07:23 PM   #228
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Question

Hi.

I've really enjoyed the creative writing and collaborating with such talented and imaginative people.

I've teetered between being challenged by the collaborative part (Chez moi? A control freak? No...) and the discovery that for me, to put the effort to keep the game alive and interesting, I really need to post every other day. I'm a slow writer, and I can spend hours on one post. I'm currently cornered in some sloppy writing I did late at night just-to-get-the-post-done-'cause-I-said-I-would. Gramil is now headed for Minas Anor for no particular reason. *Sigh* I'm not usually so careless.

In my opinion, yes, the game is too cumbersome. Estelyn was following it, and in chat she likened it to War and Peace - in a good way. She likes Tolstoy. But it is hard to follow. Having other stories interspersed randomly breaks up the flow and makes it difficult to jump off of another person's writing, and it doesn't have the feel of most RPGs I've seen. We're not accomplishing our goal in that sense. I think that is the main reason people aren't running with the ball.

If we were to do it all over again, I'd suggest we have groups of four take different stories, or even the same story in different threads. (Four different interpretations of Jarl.. hm.)

The best feature of the game is the time limit. Most people can stick to their guns for a certain period of time.

In the future, I'd make the time period slighty shorter: either 21 or 30 days. Tops.

In fact, since we find ourselves asking this question at the 21-day mark, that is a good indicator of how long the mentored games should run. Those who are 'into' RPGing (is that a verb?) will want to get into something meatier by then (ahem). Those who find it doesn't work for them will know by then.

We are not spending enough time on the discussion threads!

I think Pio in particular is overworked. She is doing Jarl, Girion, Rubin too I think, and is doing a lot of work on the Lonely Star (I saw 13 posts in a row with her name on them, clearly she was the dealer in that card game). These are all Primary characters in the Dale AND Harad story lines.

The only way to avoid having the work fall on the more experienced Mentors is to not have them play major characters in the game. That traps them. Of course the more experienced players in any kind of game will be handed the ball. Their efforts should be devoted instead to the discussions, and a minor, if valuable, character at most.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the king looked into the Palantir...

Wow. That was long-winded and rambling. To sum up:
  • Let's keep going
    Next time let's have the following changes
  • Shorter - 21 to 30 days
  • Smaller - teams of 4 or 5, one simple story line (even if 5 teams take the same story in five different threads, eh?)
  • Mentors in smaller roles
  • More emphasis on discussion

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 10-16-2002, 08:32 PM   #229
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

That's the best suggestion I've heard all week, Maril. I like the idea of having all the teams do the same story; they'd be able to read the other threads and see how different people interpret the same data, and learn from it, probably better than any other suggestion I've heard.

In the beginning, I said (to myself, if no one else) that this time around was really mostly a trial run, so we could see what worked and what didn't and now we've gotten to a point where we can say fairly defintively what those are. I like the size of the individual teams as they are now, but I would defintely have prefered to take a more backseat role. In my introductory post, I tried to do just that, but my players didn't pick up on it (no fault of yours, guys, I guess I just wan't clear enough) so I ended up with a character.

I also agree that the one huge game thread breaks up the stories too much; it makes it very hard for a particular team to build up drama and tension, for example. I would prefer either individual threads for each team, or a very much simpler storyline.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:55 AM   #230
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A wonderfull idea like this should not go wasted. I've known for a long time that I've been dependent on others. That is actually the one skill I need to work on.

But now I'll try to post more and carry my own weight. Thanks for giving us another chance.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, Once more!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 AM   #231
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Maril,

I agree with a number of your suggestions on ways we might consider structuring such mentored games in the future.

Because there were only three per delegation, things get critical if one backs out. This happened with Harad, and is the reason why I ended up being a character instead of an onlooker and critic. I'm enjoying it, however, and do not have any gripes about changing my role.

Also, our own delegation chose the option of splitting into two subgroups rather than acting as a unified whole. Looking back, I would do that differently now.

I know Mithadan was concerned about giving too many posters to any one mentor so they would not find themselves burdened under a heavy workload. Ironically, however, I think that more problems come when you have too few posters! My preference would be to see five per group.

Twenty-one days? That may be too short. Let's split the difference at 30.

I also think it would be helpful if we tried this in the summer when younger posters are free from school and homework. I know it isn't always easy to juggle things. Plus, there are always parents. I know since I am one! I have no parent gently batting me on the head to prod me off of the computer. But many out there do.

If I did this again, I would not want to be writing for a central character. Instead, I would be directing the interference and complications for my group, e.g., acting as the pirate ship that raids along the Anduin, or the hawk who eats the pigeon Urken is sending through with a message. I would enjoy such a role, and it would help to focus the action and push the story forward.

One other aside about the "13-posts" of Pio on the Star last weekend. We are mean, cruel taskmasters down there, but we're not that bad! The 13-posts were a collaborative cut and paste effort that took three of us several hours of planning, writing, communicating, and editing. Pio was quite definitely in that mix, and, after editing, pasted in the final posts. So she was collapsing under the table, but at least she had one or two friends collapsing with her as well!

We are seeing the end of that very long story, and I think it's a bit like the horse smelling the hay in the barn.

sharon

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-17-2002, 08:03 AM   #232
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

I think part of the problem is, as Child of the 7th Age said, that there isn't really enough people in each group. I think this is part of the reason why it took Blue Mountains so long to get on the road and moving. One person backed out, but we weren't sure if she was coming back or not, as she never informed us and posting kind of ground to a halt.

I think if there were slightly bigger groups next time, it might be easier to keep things flowing should one person be unavailable for a short time.

Varda
Old 10-17-2002, 11:00 AM   #233
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

I'm here.

I also find it difficult to keep track of all the other groups. I'm enjoying myself a lot and I think I've been posting about as often as necessary (if I'm wrong, someone should let me know). Of course, I need to post again right about now, but I'm very confused by some of the issues that have come from fusing the groups (for instance, it seems to be day, and I thought it was night), and I want to get all of that worked out in my head before I try to write anything that will just suck others into my own confusion. I wonder if this happens to other people; if so, that may be slowing everyone down. But it doesn't mean we're not working on it!

Anyway, welcome to Rivendell, hobbits and dwarves!

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 10-17-2002, 02:19 PM   #234
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

GENERAL NOTICE FOR DALE/MIRKWOOD/LONELY MOUNTAIN GROUPS

We have now combined our discussion thread into one for those of us Elves, Dwarves, and Men travelling south to Minas Anor together.

Please post all discussion now in The Lonely Mountain discussion thread.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 AM   #235
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

What's with all the places being held or saved?

Varda
Old 10-18-2002, 10:05 AM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

VARDA

Some of the players have real life commitments that preclude crafting and posting every day. In order for them to keep their parts of the story line in the flow of events, they save an appropriate place for their posts and then place them when they have time.

Behind this is an ongoing communication with the other members of their storyline so that they can know the general gist of what will be posted, so the storly is able to be moved forward.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:13 AM   #237
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

I was only asking. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Varda
Old 10-19-2002, 11:14 AM   #238
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Yes, it does look odd though, doesn't it? I use placeholders quite a lot. There's another reason I use them. Right now I have three characters in three different places, and so to not have to do a three-in-one post (or hog the game with three posts in a row) I put in a placeholder and wait for someone else to post in the game, then put in another placeholder...

-Maril
Old 10-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #239
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

By my count, there are only 10 days left in this game. Lets's check the scorecard at present.

Harad/Unmbar: In Gondor (!)

Dale/Eryn Lasgalen/Lonely Mountain: On the Anduin making their way south.

Rhun: Uh, somewhere out East.

Blue Mountains/Shire/Rivendell: Still in Rivendell (!???? better send in the eagles--they need to get moving).

Am I right on all this? Is anyone ready to meet Elessar? Should the meetings take place in separate threads?
Old 10-29-2002, 08:20 PM   #240
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Rhűn isn't going to make it on time. We've lost one player and another is missing. And as you said, we're still waaaaaay out east, still. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]