The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #81
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Warning: Cheesy joke ahead

Well, pigs can fly. After all the Swine Flu.

[/end of joke]

It's a shame that none of my family or RL friends are interested in Tolkien, otherwise I'd love to go to Oxonmoot.

Sorry Eonwe, but the play on words was 'pig FLEW', as in Swine Flu, did you miss it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #82
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I didn't know Keble did rooms though - that's going in my favourites for future reference! Much cheaper than the Oxonmoot rates!
I stayed at Keble two years ago it is very handy for LMH and you get a splendid breakfast. However St Antony's (now no vacancies) is nearly as handy for LMH though a bit further from Town and has free parking.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #83
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
Sorry Eonwe, but the play on words was 'pig FLEW', as in Swine Flu, did you miss it.
I saw it, but I just thought it hadn't been milked dry yet.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #84
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I saw it, but I just thought it hadn't been milked dry yet.
Pig fluent in Quenya.

Treebeard wouldn't believe that wood he.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #85
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
It is still possible to register and attend the sessions, at the door. And although rooms and dinners can no longer be booked, it is possible to find a room (and food) at neighbouring Keble College
Thank you for pointing this out to me! But I don't like the prospect of eating all the meals alone ... Heck, I can't make up my mind, although time is now really getting short.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #86
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Thank you for pointing this out to me! But I don't like the prospect of eating all the meals alone ... Heck, I can't make up my mind, although time is now really getting short.
You can eat with me, I am not signed up for the meals. . . (it was quite expensive and at the time of registrating I was not sure if I was actually going)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #87
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Let's do lunch! I signed up only for the dinners on Friday and Saturday.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #88
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
You can eat with me, I am not signed up for the meals. . . (it was quite expensive and at the time of registrating I was not sure if I was actually going)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Let's do lunch! I signed up only for the dinners on Friday and Saturday.
Oh, great!
After so much dithering I have booked my flight now, so I will definitively be at Oxonmoot!(despite flying pigs... )
I'm looking forward to seeing you.

Bethberry, are you doing any sightseeing in Oxford on Sunday? If yes, I might perhaps join you, since I will not immediately leave, but go by train to see my cousin near Worcester, either Sunday evening or Monday morning.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #89
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Nice! It looks like everything is working out just fine, now we just need certain people to change their minds and join us and it will be perfect.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #90
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I plan to, Guinevere. I have a long list of things to see from a friend who frequently visits Oxford. Let's talk more when we meet.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #91
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It's great that Guinevere decided to join us at Oxonmoot! Do we have a Fellowship of Nine together yet? The more, the merrier!

I will be in Oxford from Thursday afternoon on, so can easily join those who want to get together on Fraiday afternoon. Time and place? Some of us met at the Bird and Baby (Eagle and Child) a couple of years ago, but I'm open to other suggestions. Registration doesn't begin till 17:30, so we could meet at 15:00 or 16:00 and still have plenty of time.

Let's definitely plan to make group photos on Saturday evening, so we can document the BD meeting. Costumes optional, of course - but do bring and wear them if you have some!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #92
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Bird and Baby is the place,
Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #93
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is my One Thousandth Post so it has to be profound, Hello Hooky, Oxford is a dangerous place for Goomba's.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #94
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

On a more pleasent note, it's now only a week away from Oxonmoot, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all again (even that editor of The Downer).
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #95
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
A change of meeting place has been suggested; since those of us who've been there already know the B&B, how about getting together Friday afternoon at the Lamb and Flag, just across the road? It's another Inkling/Tolkien pub, even if it doesn't have framed documents about hams on the wall!

And how about 4 pm (16:00) as the time? Anyone want to meet earlier, or is it better to give all time to arrive?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #96
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I'm arriving in Oxford at around 14:14 and I'll be heading to LMH first off to drop my luggage off. Then I will probably head to the B&B for dinner at around 15:00 if anyone wants to meet up.
I'll gladly hop over to the Lamb and Flag at four o'clock as well, if that's a more desirable location for everyone.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #97
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Since I've already seen the Bird and Baby, I would be more interested in branching out and seeing the Lamb and Flag. It might also be less congested than the B&B. As I recall, Esty, Squatter and I ran into members of the Spanish Tolkien Society there. So many pubs, so little time!

But either pub sounds fine to me.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #98
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Lamb and Flag, is the only other place. Theakstons Old Peculiar at the bar.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #99
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thanks, narf, for teaching me the right proper way to evaluate pubs: their beer.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #100
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Nectar of the Gods......................can't wait.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #101
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I will probably head to the B&B for dinner at around 15:00 if anyone wants to meet up.
I'll gladly hop over to the Lamb and Flag at four o'clock as well, if that's a more desirable location for everyone.
Sounds good to me: both locations, so we can have our cake and eat it too - or have both assortments of drink specialties. For those who can't make it there in the afternoon, maybe we can hang around registration after checking in and meet there.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #102
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
The Lamb and Flag, is the only other place. Theakstons Old Peculiar at the bar.
Why do you bring this up when you only drink Fosters and WKD?

I don't know when I will arrive, but I suspect it will be arround midday/early afternoon.

I don't think I know where the Lamb and the flag is, sounds like a preston pub anyway, but I should be able to locate it.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #103
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Lamb and Flag used to be one of the few pubs in Oxford that hadn't been tarted up - I haven't been in there for years so I don't know if the campaign to preserve its authentic charm succeeded but it used to be favourite haunt. It is just across St Giles' from The Bird and Baby. You may recognise it from Inspector Morse. My father and sister visited the Royal Blenheim on St Ebbes earlier in the year and report good food, real ale and a genial host. But that is not so handy for LMH.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-21-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #104
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The Lamb and Flag used to be one of the few pubs in Oxford that hadn't been tarted up - I haven't been in there for years so I don't know if the campaign to preserve its authentic charm succeeded but it used to be favourite haunt. It is just across St Giles' from The Bird and Baby. You may recognise it from Inspector Morse. My father and sister visited the Royal Blenheim on St Ebbes earlier in the year and report good food, real ale and a genial host. But that is not so handy for LMH.
I loved Morse!

I have tried to watch that spin-off "Lewis", but I am not overly fond of it.

Anyways I'll find it.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #105
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh I like Lewis not sure that the plots aren't easier to follow... but John Thaw is a great loss.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #106
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Why do you bring this up when you only drink Fosters and WKD?

I don't know when I will arrive, but I suspect it will be arround midday/early afternoon.

I don't think I know where the Lamb and the flag is, sounds like a preston pub anyway, but I should be able to locate it.
Sorry Rune old chap but I detest Lager and Alcopops. The Lamb and Flag is easy to find, you just stumble out of The Eagle and Child, and walk as straight as you are able across the road, watch out for the cars they hurt a bit, and come at you non-English types from the opposite direction.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #107
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

My bus will arrive approximately 15.15 (if on time), but I want to go to the train station first to buy tickets for Monday, and then to Keble's to drop my luggage. I have no idea how long this will take me, but if it's not too late by then I'll gladly join you in the Lamb & Flag. (I don't care for beer, but look forward to the excellent English cider!)
Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #108
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

While gathering my things to pack, I found that I still have the first few pages of "The Entish Bow" that I printed a couple of years ago. Should I bring those along, so that we have an alternative if the Telerin reading is too boring? Several of the authors will be there, and the others of us can read the parts of those who aren't. That could be fun!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #109
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Ah, old times!

As a "First Timer" I'm not sure what would be acceptable for a "Telerin Circle"-- -- but we could at least regale ourselves with it should beer prove to wear out its entertainment factor. Or egg us on.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #110
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

As I said on the Newspaper thread...
Despite the lack of Oxon Downer this year, I'm thinking of getting a special P&A poster type thing made. I'm heading into town tomorrow to possibly get some printed by this place that does nice printings and stuff... yes.
It just doesn't feel like Oxonmoot without me doing something unnecessary and over the top.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #111
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

I'm SO jealous of ya'll, especially since I'm in Europe right now too and would have loved to go (if the Ukrainian government wasn't all kinds of ridiculous about visas for Americans), but in a good, white witch kind of way. Expect detailed reports, of course.

*kisses*
Old 09-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #112
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Come on then you lot. What 'went down' at Oxonmoot. Spill!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #113
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Rune murdered everyone.

EVERYONE.

I just got in after an arduous train journey of many delays and unscheduled stops, so forgive me for being brief and wanting to sleep and edit a silly newspaper...

Friday was cool. Met Rune and Narf in the Lamb and Flag where upon we had a massive political debated of tremendous insanity. Well, what did you expect? We met Esty and headed off to LMH. There we waited for Squatter, Bethberry and Edward the Confessor. Sadly, Ed never made it as he was busy inventing the word 'if' and selling jellied eels to orphans. But I digress...
I'd never met Beth before, so that was nice. We had some brief Doctor Who discussions, naturally. I mean, that's what Oxonmoot is about... isn't it? Anyway, Squatter, Rune and I managed to weird everyone else out a lot and I think we drove them away. Or, at least, drove them to the bar.
The Welcome dinner was very BIG and made me want to explode. Which was... um... not actually that uncommon for me at the moment.
Saturday was full of the good, the strange and the "WHAT THE ANGBAND IS THAT!?" kind of things. I'll give a detailed account of the lectures when my brain is working properly. But Esty did us all proud in her talk. Woo!
The party was great too! I especially liked Rune's costume.
Esty's Iroeth costume was amazing! I really liked the detail on it and thought the tea was a perfect touch. But then, I may be bias towards tea... Poison Ivy also came dressed as Beruthiel with two small cats of the stuffed veriety.
Esty, Ivy and I won awards for our silliness.

I've uploaded my pictures to FACE BOOK, yo. My camera was a little... rubbish and the batteries were not good. So you may want to wait for the others to bring more photos of good.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #114
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Just so long as Rune's murdering spree involved high explosives during the Springle Ring that's fine by me

And ta for the photos
Old 09-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #115
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Looked to be another brilliant year that I missed. Here's to 2011, my intended year of attendance (if that makes any sense! ). I plan to dress as Radicand the Pink With Little Blue Flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Rune murdered everyone. EVERYONE.
I'm sorry I missed it! It's not often you get to see someone die for a second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Anyway, Squatter, Rune and I managed to weird everyone else out a lot and I think we drove them away. Or, at least, drove them to the bar.
Another successful escapade I take it! Good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
It's a shame that none of my family or RL friends are interested in Tolkien, otherwise I'd love to go to Oxonmoot.
Bah. You should have gone anyway. RL friends are for uh, real people. Which we are emphatically not. Hope you decide to go in 2011!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #116
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

We didn't manage to get a photo of all nine Downers (The Nine were abroad!) at once; Guinevere and narfforc were missing at the Tolkien graveside ceremony on Sunday morning. Here are: Esty, Faramir Jones, Poison Ivy, The Squatter of Amon Rûdh, Hookbill, Rune, and Bêthberry.

We all enjoyed having a group with which to spend time, and once again managed to adopt a first-timer and (hopefully!) convert her to joining us here. Random comments: The weekend was definitely too short. The food was fantastic. The weather was lovely. The talks were quite varied in subject, style, and quality. I really enjoyed Caspar Reiff's recordings (both sound and picture) of pieces from the Tolkien Ensemble's new Hobbit musical, which is in the works. The big hit of the evening entertainments was the Slovenian Society's hilarious comic film of the tale of Turin.

I always love seeing the various costumes - the imagination and work that people put into them are fantastic. And I'm always inspired to future costume planning and making when I've been there - my next one is going to be great fun! But "shhh" to those of you who were there and heard about my ideas - not a word in public, please!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #117
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Well, I said I'd do this, so I did. A completely NOT photoshopped picture of ALL the Downers at Oxonmoot... Maybe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shopped.JPG (75.4 KB, 306 views)
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #118
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Well, I said I'd do this, so I did. A completely NOT photoshopped picture of ALL the Downers at Oxonmoot... Maybe...

I'm suing over image rights, anyway it isn't me, so there.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #119
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

You guys are hot.

She said eloquently.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #120
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
You guys are hot.

She said eloquently.
and with heavy sarcasm.