The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2003, 07:18 PM   #161
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK movie-lovers, how many times have <I>you</I> seen it now? I'm going for the fifth time tomorrow.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:02 PM   #162
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just putting my vote in here that I love the movie, not as much as Fellowship, but I've still seen it twice and definitely will be seeing it a third time. I've never been like this with any other film and I was 13 years old when the first Star Wars came out. It never grabbed me as much as this has.<P>I also want to make it official that I've read the books a long time ago (Hobbit, LoTR, Silmarilian, Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales) and reread them. I fully understand all the changes and they do not bother me. I see the novel and the movies as completely different animals. I understand the changes as being necessary for a very different medium and the need to reach a broader audience (studios don't give 100's of millions to someone to make a film that marketed to a small clic - sorry, but that's reality).<P>I encourage all those that love the films to explore the world deeper by reading the books, but if that isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. The films can certainly appeciated on their own.<P>The reason I'm getting this all out is that I'm a little tired of posting in all the "PJ butchered the book" threads. I'm tired of the arguements. If you want to hate the film fine, that's your right and post to your heart's content, but I do find it curious how even the people that complain so much about it have seen it multiple times and will, by their own admission, be buying the DVD's. I just want to make my position clear, I love Tolkien and I love the films. They are not mutually exclusive.<P>H.C.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:51 AM   #163
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Dimannûnien has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't go to films more than once, and I don't usually buy videos or dvds. All I will say is i've watched the EEDVD of FOTR twice in three days this week, bought three books and been to TTT for the second time. I'm also rereading LOTR, having originally read it some twenty years ago. Plus I've now got Tolkien sites in my favourites folder.<P>I love it all
Dimannûnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #164
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've seen the movie 5 times so far!!! And I can't wait to see it again!!
Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 AM   #165
Juliette

Sting

If I stick around, I will most certainly join the club!<BR>I just joined the Barrow-Downs. I was attracted by the opportunity to discuss the books in depth in The Books forum. However, every single thread seems to contain people complaining about the movie. I am disappointed that rather than simply saying "I prefer to discuss the books than the movie" everyone sems intent on saying "such-and-such a change was completely wrong." I don't think the changes were bad decisions. I was thrown by Faramir at first but I thought the Osgiliath sequence was very effective and have grown to like it very much. I love the movies and the atmosphere here, even on a forum supposedly dedicated to the books only, is overwhelmingly negative.<BR>Has ayone read and een Bridget Jones's Diary? Te book and the movie actually have different plots and the second half of the movie is urecognisible. But its a great book and a great movie. PJ said he was going to bring his personal vision of LOTR to screen. There is no definitive way it should be adapted and there never will be.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #166
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I love Tolkien and I love the films. They are not mutually exclusive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ditto
Old 01-27-2003, 02:24 PM   #167
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahh ...<P>Went to see Two Towers with the kids for the third, and likely last time until the DVD comes out. It's nice after battling here and then just going to see the film and enjoying it for it's own sake. Refreshing.<P>On a semi-related movie topic. My wife left last week for New Zealand to visit her best friend whom she hasn't seen in years. She is pumped about a lot of things, not the least of which is visiting the Hobbiton set and the location where they shot the Mordor (Gorgoroth) scenes. There are no sets there of course, but apparently it's a volcanic plane that's a touristy place anyway. Sounds pretty cool.<P>H.C.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #168
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Count me in on this! I loved TTT. It kicked butt. I'll be a proud member of this club.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:37 PM   #169
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

It's been a while since this thread was posted on, but wow! There's a lot more members than I thought! I think the website has died. Well, the thread kinda has too so, oh well, I think this is kinda the end...*sniff* <P>Well, I've seen it five and I think I'm done. Well, I'll let everyone know if things ever miraculously look better!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #170
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I don't know if this is of any significance, but I definitely loved the movie. <P><B>FOTR</B><BR>Firsts:<BR>All the hobbits, especially the dancing at Bilbo's Birthday party<BR>Seconds:<BR>Legolas and Gandalf at the Bridge of Khazad Dum scene.<P><B>TTT</B><BR>Firsts:<BR>I loved everything having to do with Smeagol in the movie!!!<BR>Seconds:<BR>Legolas&Haldir (can't choose just one)<BR>and The Elves Arriving at Helm's Deep<P>TTT rocked and I saw it 5 or 6 times! FOTR, however, got up to about 12 or 13 times, (but I never paid for my tickett ... hee hee hee) If I can get people to take me I'd LOVE to see TTT <P><I>Namarie noldonyar</I>,<BR>Maikafanawen
Old 02-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #171
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Two Towers - Favourites (in no order)<BR>1. Legolas swinging himself onto the back of Gimli's horse<BR>2. The pounding of the Uruk-hai being heard from the Glittering Caves<BR>3. The opening with the sounds of the flight through Moria and the sweeping views of the vast mountains<BR>4. The soundtrack<BR>5. The very beginning (so much anticipation paying off) and throughout of course<BR>6. Blowing up the Deeping Wall<BR>7. Legolas takes the first shot in the battle on the plains of Rohan<BR>8. King Theoden the Nasty transforms into King Theoden the Looking-Much-Better<BR>9. Gandalf forces Saruman out of Theoden's body<BR>10. The arrival at Edoras<BR>11. The ghosts of the Dead Marshes<BR>12. Gimli blows the horn in the Hornburg tower<BR>13. The elderly archer fires early, and the Uruks get mighty ticked off<BR>14. The fact that in the final battle, there are thousands of warriors going at each other head-on trying to rip each other apart (it's a guy thing, or perhaps a me thing)<BR>15. The barrage of projectiles coming down on the West side of Osgiliath, shattering a stone tower<BR>16. The attack of Faramir's men on the Haradrim<P>I really just like naming off all the cool stuff. Sorry to put you through all that! By the way, I want to take up archery!
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #172
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

The thread isn't dead! (ooo...it rhymes!)<P>Anyway, I liked blood-thirsty Legolas when he slits that first warg rider's throat. I kinda find it funny. <P>Now that I've seen it 5 times, and all but once with my friends, we have tons of inside jokes we've created. You know, things we whispered to each other in the theater. Some of them are quite interesting for lack of a better term.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #173
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

I saw TTT two times (until now), and FotR I think about 5 times.<BR>I wasn't really sure whether I liked the movies or not, but after seeing the extended version DVD and the bonus material it contained, I really am convinced that P.J. and his great team only want the best for us Tolkien fans <BR>I think that they have put a really high effort in the movies, and I think they did a great job, although I don't understand the necessarity of some changes in the plot.<BR>But I wouldn't say that I LOVE the movie. ANd why should I join a "movie-lovers-club"? I mean, it's ok if you want to support the moive, but what changes do you expect? There will always be people who like the movies and people who don't. And everybody has the right to say what he wants about it. Well, that's my point. <BR>Greetings, Balin.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #174
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yea the thread is not dead! We still rock, filling up page 5!!!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #175
Nevcairion_of_Rivendell
Pile O'Bones

Nevcairion_of_Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

count me in i'll support this club 105%<P><BR>"Fool of a Took throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity"-Gandalf from FotR
Nevcairion_of_Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #176
MerenwenElf

Sting

I'm in! I love the movies!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #177
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was going to go see it this Friday but I was sick, I have to see it again though, for the 5th time. I am going for at least 7, the same amount of times I saw FOTR. Can't wait for the ROTK preview though, I hope they don't wait until after the Oscars to put it out. (When the preview comes out, everyone go to it, the TTT one was really great, and the ROTK one should be good too)<BR>I am still a major supporter of this club, TTT was a very good movie
Old 02-11-2003, 06:36 PM   #178
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Count me in.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #179
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too, am rather fond of the movies and wouldn't mind at all about joining the club. Do we get free members gifts?!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #180
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

YES! A kiss from Orli!
Old 02-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #181
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Count me in your club!!!!!!!! I love the books but hey, can't I love the movies too? I'm sick of all the fans sitting around fussing about how bad PJ is and how he shouldn't have made all those changes. Look at it this way, if it weren't for Peter Jackson we would have NO movies and we could have had a director that would have settled for making only ONE film instead of three!!! I may not agree with some of his changes but I'm VERY grateful to him!!! <P>DarkELf35, What do ya think of my Legolas picture??? Your's is cool!!!<p>[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote