The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Best Thread of the Month

Here at the Barrow Downs we are very proud of the quality of our discussions, for their witty mirth and clever humour, their erudition, their unique perspective, their perceptive reading, their personable points of view. And we are also quick to acknowledge each other's merit. HerenIstarion has started a "Quote of the Day" thread and there is my own "Best Post of the Week" thread, which I must shortly bring up to date. (Thank you, Eru or Bill Gates, for my new monitor and computer which means I can now read the forum again at long last.)

Here, now, is a thread to recognise something broader and longer lasting, a thread to celebrate a discussion idea which makes a substantial contribution to our time here and to our knowledge of Tolkien. The idea was inspired by the first candidate I offer.

littlemanpoet's thread The Trickster in LotR offers one of the most substantial and original contributions I've seen here to discussion of a very old chestnut, Tom Bombadil, and it does so with a gentle respect for the reading of others. Not one to beat his own drum insistently, lmp offered up an idea and asked us to respond to it without first giving his own interpretation. Admirable courtesy and understatement! Applying the trickster motif to Tom not only takes up Tolkien's own interest in mythology, it helps give credence to a character who is often dismissed or ridiculed for being so out of synch with the rest of the story. lmp's thread also demonstrates the significance and fecundity of outside reading and how other writers and ideas can fruitfully be brought to bear on Tolkien. The movies may be passé, but for keen minds, there is no end to intelligent discussion.

I would like to offer this thread as a place where we can commend such insightful ideas and their successful direction over the duration of a discussion. It takes skill, diplomacy, and persistence to manage a good discussion, and that, too, is displayed in lmp thread.

I invite others to discuss the nomination and bring other deserving threads to the table if they wish. Please just remember to add reasons to support your nomination and try to keep tabs of which month we are in! A month is eternity in Net time. And be courteous in any disagreements. We do not always have to agree all the time (indeed, I would mistrust that), but we can always respect each other's ideas and reasoning.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Excellent idea, Beth, as always

I haven't got much say about lmp's thread, as, I, unfortunately, haven't read it (or haven't yet). So, my nomination would be:

Dumbing it Down by
Beleg Cuthalion

Also, we may have sub-nominations by sub-fora, par example, Best Thread of the Month, The Movies.

Than lmp's will be nominated for Best Thread of the Month, The Books

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A sword in a stone or what?

One thread has caught my eye because of the very interesting points of view presented on the thread. It is Aragorn's Political Skills , started by Boromir88.

There has been a good turnout of thoughtful comments from a variety of Downers with surprisingly little of our usual riding of favourite hobby horses. And I like the careful discrimination among heroic ideal, political skills, good judgment, and humane considerations.

Tolkien clearly had a vision of ideal monarchy which few people today share, so I think such a discussion is valuable. (Unless one follows the Diana vs Camilla intrigues. ) I also am very intrigued by Saurreg's analysis of Aragorn's battle decisions and how they relate to the narrative or fantasy elements. All in all, I think, a useful discussion! Kudos to Boro for starting it!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-21-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots A new month, a new idea

There have been several very interesting new threads in the past month, but I wish particularly to commend this one: Tolkien, the Artist , started by Arts and Craft enthusiast Estelyn Telcontar.

Imagine, after all these years, a completely new topic on an aspect of Tolkien's creativity we have not explored! It shows that there are always new ideas, new ways of examining Tolkien. Kudos to Estelyn for her foresight and originality!
Old 04-24-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'd like to nominate Eomer of the Rohirrim's Giggles. Not only is it a neat topic, but it has sparked on-topic debate, led to consitantly interesting discussion, and has nothing to do with Balrogs.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

And nothing to do with Wargs either, Fea!

Thanks for nominating it, as it is good to see activity on this thread.

"Giggles" certainly did spark some interesting comments. it is interesting how revisited or redefined topics can lead to other directions.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The B-W's Isle of Werewolves game.

It encourages critical thinking, cynicism, alliances, lynching, and finger-pointing. What more can a girl ask for?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I second BW's Isle of Werewolves game as well, & for all the same reasons as Fea ( plus the descriptions of the deaths are always...well, interesting to read at least! ). I think it's a great addition to the forums & I haven't even actually played it yet!
Also, I think Crazy Captions deserves an automatic nomination every month.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I would like to nominate this thread for thread of the month: Jackson Purists Deplore Tolkien Changes, posted by Elladan and Elrohir

Not only is it nice to see a fresh discussion taking place on the Movies forum; after the usual initial "what is this" reactions by some who weren't sure whether to take it seriously or not, members have been posting in the spirit of the original article. It's highly enjoyable to read, since the posts take a new twist on the movie/book comparisons, are very funny, and have lots of people participating! Now that we're all finished with the ranting that went on immediately after the movies and DVDs were released, everyone can relax and take an amused, laid-back look at the differences one more time.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Esty, I concur completely in your nomination of Elladan and Elrohir's thread. It is about time that Jackson fans were able to rise up in high dungeon and get to the bottom of this overarching tendency to see novels as culminations of concepts.

Seriously, I think it is more than time for a little mirth about the movies and I applaud such an original approach! Kudos indeed Elladan and Elrohir!

I have been pondering in my heart The Only Real Estel's nomination of the Werewolf game threads. Certainly the game has grabbed the imagination and creativity of countless Downers and who am I to gainsay their enjoyment? Perhaps it is mere personal taste that I don't join the game, not really relishing mind games of that sort. Perhaps I simply enjoy Eomer of the Rohirrim's Warg thread more--and, well, once you've enjoyed one furry creature, another is just sort of the same.

As for Crazy Captions, well, I do laugh heartily often, and love the thread and all those who post there, but, well, no matter how funny a post is, the concept doesn't grab me as a truly unique one, as Jackson Purists Deplore Tolkien Changes does.

I would say the same for a nomination I meant to make for July thread of the month, Lush's Eowyn's Cup and Alan Lee thread. Lush's thread was one of the first I think to bring an original approach to the movies, which Elladan and Elrohir have also done. The thread is one which allows us to consider the relationship between illustrator and novel and then illustrator and movie, which I think provides incredible room for considering the extent to which the visuals are what maintain Tolkien fidelity in the movies, while the script and characterisations provide more Jackson's interpretation of action flick LotR.

Any other summer nominations?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:56 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
A new month has barely started, and already there's a new thread I'd like to nominate - though it started yesterday, still in the old month. Kudos to Bęthberry for providing a place for members to post all their pent-up energy after missing the forum while it was down for a day! Unforbidden is an enjoyable RPG to read, open to all Downers, and it's fun to share others' experiences in that kind of posting. There have been several very cute connections and cross-references, such as "Mormegollum", arcticstorm's "Paths of the Dead" entry, etc. It's interesting to read of the various support systems that were called upon for information and comfort during the bereavement.

A great way to express the sense of community we share here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Play is wasted on children

Another start of the month nomination: what is it about beginnings that spurs us on to new thought?

Alatar's "Snow Angels" in the Novices and Newcomers forum. Something delightfully whimsical yet full of challenging conundrums and possibilities. Well, it tickled my fancy.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thumbs up

And we had a great run down the home stretch in the final days of last month with a horse who looks like he can go the distance! The Middle-earth anagram thread Arrows 'nd Bows shows it has legs!

A great idea Formendacil--many hours of entertainment for we who love a mixed bag of letters.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
A great idea Formendacil--many hours of entertainment for we who love a mixed bag of letters.
I don't know what to say...

I was amazed and most honoured at the all great replies to the thread.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Excellant pick, Bęthberry. I'd be interested in knowing if it's keeping up with Crazy Captions. Relatively speaking I mean. Congrats, Formendacil.