The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #41
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Exsqueeze me, i didnt notice! Dontcha hate it when that happens?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:54 PM   #42
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I know this i VERY off topic but I just had to post:
IM A SHADE IM A SHADE!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #43
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Everyone I know says I look just like Arwen, but it is probably just because I act like her.

~NOTE~ I get sort of claustrophobic when I am surrounded by Orli fangirls

I had this really weird dream like last week, and I was surrounded by all of these Orli fangirls. I am more of a Viggo fan mysef, but these girls were babbling on and on about him! IT DROVE ME INSANE!!!!!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:35 AM   #44
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh Lush, that would've freaked me out! I haven't had any weird experiences like that, but my friends have had some... On a sleep-over I lit my face with my torchlight and exclaimed "The light of Eärendil!". I got some strange looks [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And I refer to most knives as Narsil, especially if they're broken. Not to mention that I go all Gollumish if someone tries to take something away from me. Hmm, I'm gonna try that "ai ai a balrog is come" next.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 07-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #45
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ah, the wild tangents people can dream up. What year will this Elijah Wood frenzy take place in, and how exactly do you know that he'll be alive then? Also, how will you possibly be able to recognize an actor that you saw (roughly) fifty years earlier. For your sakes, I hope that the obsession wears off with the bursts of hormonal activity going on within you right now.

Ok. That's done with. Lush, that sounds absolutely frightful (in a thrilling kind of way). If that man didn't have perverse intentions in mind, I really feel sorry for someone who's intrests are so limited that he would use Lord of the Rings to pick up girls. Just think of the things that saying "you look like galadriel" would imply in pre-movie years. What a pickup line. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I've never had any experience with obsessive fans (sadly) in fact, my experience with Tolkien fans in general reality is limited to some four people.

Master

P.S. It's funny, but this is only my second post in Mayhem (now mirth). Visits are so rare, I've only recently taken notice of the Forum itself.

P.P.S. Sorry about the opening paragraph, I didn't realize that there was a second page...

[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 07-04-2003, 05:51 AM   #46
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Dud, I normally AM the freak who goes and attacks random people with LotR stuff. Like on Neopets the other day I was seriously considering starting a post up in elvish, but then I realized I didn't know enough. Hmmm... Maybe that's not such a good exaple. A better one is the time we were writing cards in church (Do not ask. Just DON'T) And I wrote mine in elvish. Ah, if only I had seen the girls face. That could have been highly amuzing... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 12:00 PM   #47
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Ring

Wow, that's really... weird. I would have been really scared. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Nothing like that has ever happened to me, thank goodness. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 12:30 PM   #48
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Wow Lush! That would kind of scare me, but at the same time, I would be thrilled that someone thought I looked like an elf. I have had something kind of like that happen to me, some friends and I were passing notes in church(don't ask) and we were passing them to random people that we didn't know(definetly don't ask), and I wrote something in Quenya, and when the note got back around to me, someone had written back in Sindarin! I thought that was really cool.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #49
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Poor you Lush...

The only experiance I had with a strange Tolkien fan was when I started talking to myself, I seem to scare other Tolkien fans away when we get on the subject of LotR hehe
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #50
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
Like on Neopets the other day I was seriously considering starting a post up in elvish, but then I realized I didn't know enough.
Really? LOL...well, if ever I'm in the Neopets message boards (I'm not on there too often, and mostly I go to "Newbies"...)and I see a post that looks like Elvish (I'm not too good at it, either) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], I'll have a good guess who posted it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Pobodies Nerfect
I like that. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Got to remember that one...
{EDIT}
...and to post something on topic, the only oddball Tolkien fan I know is ME, 'cause I'll be by myself and start quoting Sam lines (book and movie) whenever the mood strikes me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] There's no one else in the house who's an LOTR/Tolkien fan, so no one else would get it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ July 12, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:33 AM   #51
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*sniffle* Somebody liked my sig!
Sorry, but it's gone now. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Er...one time I was discussing the concept of a LotR musical with this guy, and he started singing. He said, "Oh, yeah! Gollum would be like this: Myyyyyyy Preeeciouuuuuuuuus! I've loooooost my PRECIOUUUUUUS!!!!" and he would not stop! It was starting to scare me, even though I knew he was just doing it to bug me.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:15 PM   #52
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I had gone to the TTT premiere dressed as an Elf/Ranger with my friends, and the manager happened to see me swinging my fake spear around and yelling random Elf battle cries. Apparently, he was extremely impressed with my "skills" and I got a winter job that just entailed walking around in costume at the movie theater and talking in Sindarin! I mean, how lucky can you get!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:40 AM   #53
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Finwe, you are so <i>lucky</i>! I'm going to use that as argument in favour of taking my bow to the RotK premiere, my Mum won't let me, she says I'll get arrested. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Back on topic: I think I'm the only LotR fan in my town, apart from a guy who was sitting accross the row from me during TTT, who had the ring inscription tattooed around his arm.
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:29 AM   #54
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

You saw someone with the ring inscription tatooed around his arm? That is waht I want to get done!(sorry it was off topic i just had to say it, all apolagies mr barrowwight sir)
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #55
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, I have the same problem, horse maiden. People always say I look about eleven, instead of 14, but say I sound about 20 on the phone.
My only strange experience is that I know someone who insists everyone calls him Frodo. If you call him Kerry, He dosnt respond
Old 08-09-2003, 07:55 PM   #56
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

At Comic-Con there were these three fans that I kept seeing. I think they were sisters, maybe triplets, because they all looked alike. They all had red hair, and I could always recognize them because they all dressed the same! Every day they had coordinating outfits: same pants, same LOTR related T-shirts, same LOTR related hats, pins, buttons, LOTR tote bags, and of course the ring on the chain around the neck (I have seen so many people wearing the ring at conventions. It actually kind of annoys me; I don't do it because I want to go against the grain).

Some people may think that what I am talking about it not freaky, but I thought it was. It wasn't like they were young or anything. They were probably really nice people, but I just thought that the whole dressing alike thing was kind of weird.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #57
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just had to revive this thread becaue something creepy happened to me today... It wasn't with a Tolkien fan, but it did happen in that section of the bookstore...

I was in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section with my friends, looking at Tolkien, of course, [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] When this middle aged guy comes up to us and says "What are you cute girls doing in the science fiction section?" Now, you have to think about it...We're three 16 year old girls, and this scetchy older guy comes up to us like that... creepy! He was grinning and was like "This is the man's section! We never had girls over here before!"

...It was creepy for us, anyway. Needless to say, I stopped lingering, grabbed my books and headed to the cash register. Hmph... *shudders*

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #58
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

Very strange nothing on that level has happened to me before...( even though i'm a scorpio and considered a people magnet). Your insident at the DMV sound scary to me yeesh! *shiver* well, the closest i've ever got to that was when last year i, unfortunately, broke the tibula in my right ankle and of course had to go get x_rays. well, in an x-ray room they might sometimes put picutres up right? well, when i went into this x-ray room what a shock i got! all over the walls (and i MEAN all over from top to bottom) there was pictures of Gandalf EVERYWHERE! i don't know about you but, the older gentleman who was in charge with x-rays might of had a fetish... a really big fetish. Iwas lucky to get out of there without going crazy! i mean, having 50 some odd Gandalfs peering at you out of the darkness can even make a Ka flip... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Into the belly of the beast..." "And, out the deamon's *** ..."
- Laura Croft Tomb Raider
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:06 PM   #59
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

• Per Aramantha_Daisy's experience:
    Eeew. Creepy.
  • Ka:
    Whoa. Wish the things on the walls in the last Drs. office I was in were that interesting! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #60
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

A couple weeks ago, this weird looking guy comes up to me while I am walking my dog. He said my greyhound looked "Like one of those Warg things in TTT". I got kind of upset, as I took it to be an insult to my precious pet.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:24 AM   #61
lothlorien

lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow both of your incounters sound creepy
and there are no other words for it.
I haven't had anything that creepy happen to me (probably not on topic) I am usually driving my friends and family insane with my obsession today a friend got me started on middle earth and I went on about it all day she was like will you shut up geez you never stop. But only a few obsessed people live in my area so it's very unlikely for anything strange to happen. Today about 5 times at school if found topics relevent to lord of the rings.
That's really strange
Lothlorien
lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:15 PM   #62
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa! Some is this stuff is very creepy! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Normally, I'm the rather scary fan who goes up to random people. For instance, I was sitting in English class, and I see that the girl sitting in front of me has a copy of RotK in her backpack (the backpack was sitting there open, btw, it wasn't like I was going through her stuff). So I started talking to her about RotK just out of the blue, asking her how she liked it. She gave me a freaked out look, like I was losing my mind or something, and tolk me she hadn't started to read it yet. So, if you meet a strange fan who is a girl with very curly hair, it's probably me- if you are talking about LotR, I will butt into your conversation whether you know me or not! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #63
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Ring

Hey, DragongirlG! That is so awesome! I got my One Ring off a bookmark too! I found a silver chain at home and now wear it around my neck. When people ask me where I got it, I tell them, "Off a bookmark," casually. Yes, I get some VERY strange looks. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Arwen
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:58 PM   #64
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Lush, I vaguely remember something somewhat similar happening to me... I think. Not nearly as psycho. But yeah, a long conversation that was a little too friendly.

For me it's usually airports or airplanes. That's when I take LotR with me everywhere I go (it's my home away from home; nothing makes a hotel room feel cozier than reading about Mordor...) Anyway, I've sat next to a few people who got chatty about my book. Some of the conversations were fine. Others, I was mighty glad they ended.

Of course, ending unappealing conversations while on business travel is easy for me. "Yes, I'm on my way to a navy facility." Shuts 'em right up. Can't imagine why. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 08:15 PM   #65
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think my strangest LotR experience would have been when I yelled "Crebain from Dunland! Hide!" at my school, and dove into some bushes as a flock of crows flew overhead. My friends and I were walking back from the school library when I decided to do it. Those bushes were so PAINFUL that I had scratches all over the place!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #66
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
He was grinning and was like "This is the man's section! We never had girls over here before!"
Hey, I go to that section all time! I see nothing wrong...

Anyway, back on topic. I was in the computer lab at my highschool, on the 'Downs and was talking to my friend about "LotR". This guy a couple of computers away says, "I see you're a 'LotR' fan" and he comes over and reads the back of my "LotR" shirt. Then he starts asking me who my favorite character is and everything. I never saw the guy again, but I was quite surprised to see another "Ringie" at my school! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote