Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #281
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I wrote a post but I was faced by two difficult questions.
1) How mature is a 20-year-old Hobbit? I left it pretty vague but I'm interested if I've totally misestimated the thing. (Of course Tansy can have her subjective opinions but I think I, as her writer, should know which way they seem to be biased... )
How mature? Not very, on a regular basis, I would say. But Mira did have to deal with a rather bitter father. She might act a few years older than her age.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #282
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
20 IS young for a Hobbit.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #283
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Agreed, 20 is young for a Hobbit. Since there is such a thing as "tweens" (the 20s) as being considered immature as Hobbits go, I think it's probably fair to make a rough comparison as follows:age 0-10 in a Hobbit -> 0-7 in a human; 11-20 in a hobbit -> 8-14 in a human; 21-30 in a hobbit -> 15-21 in a human. These are my own guesstimations, so if anybody wants to offer something better, feel free. I'm talking about character maturity only, just so that's clear.

Male hobbits can safely be called men, I would think. They would consider themselves so, I'm sure.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #284
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
great posts ladies!! I like the way you have used Bunny, Lommy. it is how I would see her, so as long as you write her like that I am fine with it.

FOR EVERYONES ATTENTION::::
Pio has contacted me and LMP, about another player. She has a newish member that would like to join if she could. She is a good writer and Pio has offered to help if she needs any with her bio. She has said she will have time to commit to this game.

What do all of you think? Do you think we can work in another Hobbit?

I would think this would be ok, but we all may need to do a little thinking as to how we can bring another into the story (and without taking so long to get us all together). :rolleyes
Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #285
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Let's see: Bunny, Peony, Tansy, Rudy, Hugo, Mira, and Brown, and then we still have Legate's and Sephiroth's characters to add. It seems like we already have about as many characters as we can handle. However, I don't feel particularly strongly about it and could probably convinced otherwise. After all, I have little to no experience and don't really know how the game dynamics work out later on.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #286
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Fin, Gwath and LMP - thanks for your comments, they helped me. I was thinking about along the same lines as you and it was good to hear my idea of it wasn't totally weird.

Valier (and all you others as well ) - I think one more wirter would be no problem, but the introduction of the character sounds slightly complicated, especially if there are already two characters that are to be introduced later on. But I'd very much like to give this mysterious newcomer a chance to join our little party. I think the final decision is yours, Valier (and LMP's) as you know what is to happen in the RPG: we ordinary players really can't have a strong idea of whether there will be situation(s) in which a third "late character" could be taken along or not.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #287
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Your new player will be Iras Sabir.

She has done some playing in The Golden Perch Inn.

I don't see why whe couldn't join in right away. She could be a particularly nosy Hobbit who's found out about the adventure and decides to go along. How does that sound? Or if one of you can suggest another way to get her right in, I'm sure she'd be willing to work with it.

Will contact her about doing a Character Bio now.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #288
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Sounds good.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #289
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Iras Sabir has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone! How's it going?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #290
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Swell! I'm looking forward to reading your character bio.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #291
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

NAME: Elizabeth "Lizzy" Smallburrow

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: She carries only the knife she uses for eating. It's a sharp blade in good condition. She has good aim though, and is known for throwing rocks at anything that threatens her garden or livestock.

APPEARANCE: She's about 3’ tall, and she is very solid. Just a little chubby. She has long thick golden brown hair that she usually wears in a braid and hazel eyes. She favors deeper colors and an apron at the waist. The apron has several pockets, one for her rocks, one for various herbs, and the others just hold odds and ends

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: She's a good companion as long as she thinks she's in control. She's just a little on the bossy side, but in that older sister mother type of way. She's very motherly, always looking out for any of those she feels are her friends. She'll be a very nosy lady, acting like a mother to everyone even if she doesn't have any kids. Her temper is her weakness. She has a habit of getting herself into trouble over something minor. Her father's had to smooth things over more than once with their neighbors. She has a special soft spot for children.

HISTORY: She's the middle child in a family of four. She has one older brother and two younger sisters. Her brother, Chris, lives nearby. His farm is next to hers and they often share their work when one or the other goes into town. Her sisters are Sara and Annbeth. They both still live with their parents. She currently is living away from her family on her own farm. She has a small garden and a small flock of sheep. Her father helped her to set up the farm and it has slowly become successful. She's always been one to help out a person in need. She is very close to her family.

Last edited by Iras Sabir; 01-06-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #292
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

I was thinking that Lizzywould be in town to sell some stuff and sees the group. She had a ram that she rode into town, one of her little ways to get to town, if that's okay, and one of them spooked him?

I dunno quite yet. What do you all think?

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-06-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #293
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome, Iras Sabir! Your character looks interesting and when reading the bio, I had a clear vision what kind of person she is.

Just one thing caught my attention, though: Lizzie's history implies that she has had her farm for a few years (at least) but she's not of age yet, being only 32. I wonder if she should be a bit older - unless it's a key point in your character that she is leading such an independent life so early, of course.

As to your idea of how Lizzie could be intoroduced, I think it looks like it would work and would be able to develop into a masterful comedy. What do you others think?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #294
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was also thinking that from your description Lizzy should be at least 42.

Maybe we could have it that Lizzy, riding her ram, runs across Rudy, Mira, and Hugo in their wagon just outside of Buck Hill, and Hugo's dog, Snatch, starts barking up a storm which spooks the ram which sends it running out of control. Feeling sorry for Lizzy, whom they recognize as a member of a family with whom they are friendly, Rudy and Hugo help her get control of the ram (does it have a name?). They offer her the hospitality of Peony's home, and things develop from there.

What do you think?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #295
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I was also thinking that from your description Lizzy should be at least 42.

Maybe we could have it that Lizzy, riding her ram, runs across Rudy, Mira, and Hugo in their wagon just outside of Buck Hill, and Hugo's dog, Snatch, starts barking up a storm which spooks the ram which sends it running out of control. Feeling sorry for Lizzy, whom they recognize as a member of a family with whom they are friendly, Rudy and Hugo help her get control of the ram (does it have a name?). They offer her the hospitality of Peony's home, and things develop from there.

What do you think?
Perfect! I'll change her to 42. The ram, I think she'll have just name Boy. Should I go ahead and have her riding into town, like with a basket of produce, and the dog freaks Boy out.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #296
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Good posts everybody!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #297
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just a thought, Iras, if Lizzy throws a rock at the dog, she's throwing a rock at the girl holding the dog, which the three would take even less kindly to than her throwing a rock at their dog. So do you want to keep that in there?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #298
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Do you think I should change it to where she missed? Like she was throwing it in it's direction but missed him? Or she was just having to much of a fit to throw right.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #299
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It's entirely up to you what Lizzy does with her rock, but Mira's, Rudy's, and Hugo's reactions will not be much different whether Lizzy hits or misses the dog (and Mira).
Old 01-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #300
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

question?....So is all this with Mira, Rudy, Hugo and Lizzy happening before they even arrived at Peony's? I'm a little confused.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #301
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Yes.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #302
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Ok if so how does Lizzy come to know about the adventure? seeing as no one would know til after Peony's? I guess perhaps we could meet her again on the road out of town.. But that would mean that after your little meeting now, she would need to wait to post with us til after we all meet and go to leave. How do you all want to handle this invite to join?

Lommy could you perhaps add just a few more lines to your post, having us meet Brown and you introducing us? I am a little unsure as to how Tansy would welcome him. Are they friends themselves or is he just a friend of fred's? just add a little bit and I will continue it a bit and have Bunny's reaction and hello. How do you want to handle us inviting him Lommy? Should you do it? Let me know. I can have a post up, the latest by Wednesday.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #303
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

You guys could just send me a pm when it's time.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #304
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to tell you guys that even though I'm not in this RPG I've following your story ever since it came out in October of 07.

Keep up the good work you guys are making a wonderful story!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #305
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Thank you, good sir dwarf.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #306
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
Lommy could you perhaps add just a few more lines to your post, having us meet Brown and you introducing us? I am a little unsure as to how Tansy would welcome him. Are they friends themselves or is he just a friend of fred's?
If I had to choose, I would suggest that Brown and Tansy could be acquainted, but have probably only met once or twice. I don't REALLY care though.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 01-07-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #307
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
Ok if so how does Lizzy come to know about the adventure? seeing as no one would know til after Peony's? I guess perhaps we could meet her again on the road out of town.. But that would mean that after your little meeting now, she would need to wait to post with us til after we all meet and go to leave. How do you all want to handle this invite to join?
My initial notion was that she would be offered hospitality at Peony's to pay for the difficulty Snatch put her and Boy through. Then she could find out about it by eavesdropping, or be told outright, and either be invited or invite herself. It might be more fun to have her invite herself along, though I'm not sure why she would want to come.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #308
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Quote:
My initial notion was that she would be offered hospitality at Peony's to pay for the difficulty Snatch put her and Boy through. Then she could find out about it by eavesdropping, or be told outright, and either be invited or invite herself. It might be more fun to have her invite herself along, though I'm not sure why she would want to come.
Then we have lots of changes to make, real quick, before too much progresses. And we may need to shuffle some posts around.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #309
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Lommy could you perhaps add just a few more lines to your post, having us meet Brown and you introducing us? I am a little unsure as to how Tansy would welcome him.
Yes, I could. I'll try to do it today, but I'll do it tomorrow at the latest and I'll post here when I've done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwath
If I had to choose, I would suggest that Brown and Tansy could be acquainted, but have probably only met once or twice. I don't REALLY care though.
Yes, I think they should know each other (not well, but be acquainted), since Fred hardly spends his time anywhere else than home and if Brown is a friend of Fred's, they probably most often/always meet at Fred&Tansy's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val
How do you want to handle us inviting him Lommy? Should you do it? Let me know.
I think it would be the best to write so that Fred asks Tansy how is their planning/organising going and Brown is curious and somebody (I don't care if it's Fred, Tansy or Bunny) explains him the adventure thing and he shows interest in coming along and Fred tells Tansy they should take Brown with them as he knows his way in the surrounding areas and then Bunny & Tansy (the latter being slightly reluctant ) agree to take him along. How does this sound? It could all be in one post and any of us three (me, you, Gwath) could do it. I suggest I edit my post so that the three actually meet, then you Val write a short post of Bunny's reaction and hello and then maybe Gwath could finish with writing what I just explained (or the scenario until Brown expresses his desire to come along and Fred recommends taking him) and you (Val) and I could write something of how our characters react to that - or at least I want to write Tansy's next angst .
How does this sound, Val and Gwath? Did I make sense at all?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #310
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Brown is not a very social being, and so I don't think he would be likely to express very MUCH interest in going along on the expedition. In conversation with Fred, he might mention that it sounded interesting, but I would prefer the idea that Brown go along with the others be largely Fred's suggestion. He'd have to persuade Tansy and friends, of course, perhaps based on Brown's past outdoor travel experience. Or whatever.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #311
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Brown is not a very social being, and so I don't think he would be likely to express very MUCH interest in going along on the expedition. In conversation with Fred, he might mention that it sounded interesting, but I would prefer the idea that Brown go along with the others be largely Fred's suggestion. He'd have to persuade Tansy and friends, of course, perhaps based on Brown's past outdoor travel experience. Or whatever.
Ok. What if Brown would be interested in hearing about the adventure and Fred would take it as if he was interested in actually going and then suggest he go with the others on the adventure and no party could actually refuse? Hilarious.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #312
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Ok.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #313
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
That would be funny. Like to cover the cost of her harvest they give her hospitality, and she evesdrops. She follows them a ways and they catch her later on. Maybe she wants to find out some of the entwives' secrets, like weaving and such. Being domestic she would think that's what a wife would know.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #314
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Or agriculture. The Entwives taught many agricultural secrets to mankind, and Lizzy seems to be interested in gardening and produce.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #315
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Yeah, she'd just be after anything that might help her out.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #316
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
Then we have lots of changes to make, real quick, before too much progresses. And we may need to shuffle some posts around.
I don't follow. What would need to be changed and shuffled?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #317
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I edited it. Sorry for being slow once again.

Valier - you're to write the next post, right? There's a slight problem with including Fred to the discussion, for he can't walk without considerable aid, so he probably wouldn't come to see his guest but rather wait him to come to see him in his room. But Fred could always overhear the three talking at the front door and call them to come to continue the discussion in his room, with him.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #318
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I don't follow. What would need to be changed and shuffled?
Our entrance to Peony's for one. And to have her eavesdrop, but she could join around the same time as Rudy and Hugo, she could hear anything about the adventure that Mira would tell them.

This is only, in a way, my first RPG (my other first isn't going to quickly), so I don't know if you do things occasionaly out of order like this. If it's fine with others, I wont fuss, and I understand there really isn't any good way to change things that have already happened. But the way that your and Iras' post goes, it's kind of confusing. I don't know, maybe I'm easily confused, but if I were reading just the RPG and not the discussion thread, I would wonder where and when those posts were happening, because last I knew, we (Mira, Rudy and Hugo) were all drinking tea at Melilots.

Last edited by Finduilas; 01-09-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #319
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I see what happened. I'm sorry, Finduilas. I'm afraid that I didn't remember what had happened in posts 25 & 26 when I started brainstorming how to include Lizzy. Umm.....

I guess we need to revise things a bit. Oops.

I've just added a post # 35 to try and draw this into the rest of the story.

I think the best way to go with this is to take posts 32 - 35 and insert them between 25 & 26, making whatever changes in 26 needed to smooth out the transitions.

Sorry for creating this headache for everyone.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-09-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #320
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Ahhh I see what happened....lets see if we can get Pio to help us rearrange a bit. I will pm her when I get home from work today. Sorry about not getting my post up yesterday. I will put in a save right now and will fill it today a.s.a.p. please everyone else if you can post, please do.