The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2002, 08:03 PM   #1
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
The Eye Worst ME couple

Who do you think was the worst couple in the tolkien books? I think it would have to Aldarion and Erendis. They hardly ever saw each other, erendis lived a much shorter life than Aldarion, and they loved tottaly different things.
What do you think?
Turgon_of_Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:05 PM   #2
Lyliac
Pile O'Bones

Lyliac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

do u mean like actual couples? or made up ones? if it were made up, i would have to say sauron and rose.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #3
Turgon_of_Gondolin
Pile O'Bones

Turgon_of_Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turgon_of_Gondolin
Sting

i mean actuall couples.
Turgon_of_Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Morgoth and Shelob. Particularly when they made such a fuss over some "Elvish glass" and turned homicidal on each other. Counseling, counseling, counseling! Or at the very least they could have dropped Ann Landers a line for some much-needed advice. Though I already know what she would say...Counseling!
Old 03-14-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
Huan

Sting

The only other one I can think of is the last Numenor King and Queen. Pharazon took Miriel (did I spell it right? it's been a while) against her will and took power from her and named himself King. The King gets to spend eternity under a mountain and the Queen drowned in the fall.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:14 PM   #6
Huan

Sting

Lush, I think you meant Ungoliant, not Shelob [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Anyway, being a couple with a giant spider, ewww...
Old 03-14-2002, 08:23 PM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Oh yeah, *slaps herself on head* I got mommie confused with baby. Though baby didn't turn out very well either. Once again, became entangled with the wrong kind of Dark Lord. You'd think those spiders would learn.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:33 PM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Lush...I'm reading the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales right now, and Morgoth and Ungoliant are definitely the couple you wouldn't want to live downstairs from. Imagine them fighting in the kitchen. Ungoliant has a definite advantage in the number of pots she can throw simultaneously. Bet you Ann Landers would have a few words on seeking counseling for Shelob too. ("Children of inter-species marriages often experience severe stress, especially when their parents have a failed marriage. You are repeating your mother's mistakes with men.") Ah, if only Frodo and Sam *knew* what Shelob had been through, they'd be much more understanding...

And for might-have-been couples - I'll be evil and say Saruman and Sauron. Imagine the eternal backbiting between those two. "Look, nobody *forced* you to join me. If you miss those White Council friends of yours so much, why don't you go join them?" "I can't anymore, they all hate me because of you! [sob]"
Old 03-14-2002, 10:58 PM   #9
non_conformist13
Pile O'Bones

non_conformist13 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, I don't know about you guys, but I just hated it when Eowyn was crushing on Aragorn. I mean, there are worse couples, but she was just in it for the adventure and the glory. and poor Aragorn was so far from Arwen. Eowyn just hung on him too! What a flirt!

Be not conformed to this world, but be transformed, by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:2
non_conformist13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:14 PM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree about Eowyn and Aragorn. And then she picks right up on poor Faramir. Can you say "rebound"?

Celeborn and Galadriel are a pretty bad couple, too. You just know that the magic has gone out of that marriage.

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #11
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definately Morgoth and Ungilant

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #12
goldwine
Haunting Spirit

goldwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought Eowyn a little cringeworthy in that patch as she sees Aragorn go off the the paths of the dead. Poor thing ..talk about unrequited love!
Celeborn and Galadriel do seem to have moved to a rather passionless place too! I guess you can only keep that sort of thing up for a couple of hundred years before it just becomes damn boring! Maybe it has just become a cerebral exercise!
Old 03-15-2002, 03:18 AM   #13
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lol am I the only one who pitied Eowyn??? and I'd have to say the worst couple is the one consisting of the Queen (and her cats) and the King (it's Friday night and I can't remember their names, sozz guys [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 01:18 PM   #14
Howlin' Pelle

Sting

I was never convinced with Faramir and Eowyn. It seemed to me a bit rushed. Marriage is a BIG thing y'know.

Faramir: I like you, lets get married.
Eowyn: Yeah all right

Seemed like that to me.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #15
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

I don't know too many of the couples, but so far I'd have to say Elrond and Celebrian (sp?). I mean, she's not even there! (Of course, I think there was a reason, but still.) And it's not just her fault, Elrond could have gone to Valinor a lot sooner, y'know.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #16
Lush
Fair and Cold

Quote:
and poor Aragorn was so far from Arwen. Eowyn just hung on him too! What a flirt!
Hey! There is nothing wrong with some decent flirting. Every literary masterpiece, and every Friday afternoon, needs some. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
For worst possible couple, my award goes to Saruman and Treebeard.
Treebeard: "Hey! It was your turn to water the plants today!"
Saruman: "Stupid plants. Let them %$#@ing rot. And for the record, I still think we could have made a nice set of benches out of those ugly trees in the backyard."
Treebeard: "You know, I could just try to drown you again, though this time I'm definitely going to get the job done all the way."
Saruman: "Hah! You haven't gotten off your evergreen butt in over two centuries, lazy git. And now you're threating to actually do something? Hahahahaha!!!"
Old 03-16-2002, 12:46 AM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Celebrian left because she had been "tormented" after being captured by Orcs; once she escaped she was so badly hurt that she had to pass over to the West to be fully healed. Don't know if it's a reflection on Elrond that he stayed behind, though - he had a lot of work to take care of first (keeping a rein on Elladan and Elrohir, making sure Arwen didn't take up with some sleazy guy who didn't deserve her [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]). Sort of the way Sam stayed behind when Frodo left the Havens; he had a lot of work still to do in Middle-Earth and it just wasn't time for him to go yet (and no, I'm NOT saying Sam and Frodo were a couple. Just that the mentality is the same). Just my 2.5 cents, though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Eh...I want to be nice to Eowyn. She was definitely flirting with Aragorn but there's no reason she would have known about Arwen, besides you start wanting some halfway-honorable company when you've been spending months waiting on a cranky uncle and being hit up on by the likes of Wormtongue. And besides, she let go in the end [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. If she and Aragorn had actually *married* - now that would be awful. Too much alike in some ways to get along for more than a month or so, besides you'd have all the guilt over Arwen in the background.

I still vote for Morgoth and Ungoliant, though. There's no other combination that screams "Run away! Run away!" quite as loudly as this one...
Old 03-16-2002, 03:50 PM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

saruman & wormtongue, i think, take the cake for one of the more dysfunctional couples in the LOTR.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:16 AM   #19
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

I vote for Arethel Ar-Finiel (sp?) and Eöl. He was always so jealous and posessive of his son and wife...not to mention that he killed her!

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 09:46 AM   #20
Aiwyn of the Eorlingas
Pile O'Bones

Aiwyn of the Eorlingas has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Oooo, Eowyn and Faramir, definatley. I'm very sympathetic of Eowyn. The time's a little messed-up in my mind, but I think it took them a week to meet, fall in 'love', and get married. The only example I can think of that's worse than that: Romeo and Juliet (yes, I'm WELL aware that's not LOTR related, but work with me here). Eowyn was depressed! She was suicidal. She had just been rejected (And how was SHE supposed to know about Arwen? If she had, maybe she would've taken being rejected a little lighter...like say, NOT trying to go off and get herself killed...) and her uncle had died and her suicide attempt had failed and she was being kept indoors where she was unhappy and I can go on all day but I won't. Yes, I CAN say 'Rebound'. I think she would have gone for the next attractive male that walked past her (remember, House of Healing, filled with female healers and Warden). Faramir just happened to be incapatitated with her. I can see them five years from now...
Faramir: Woman! Did you forget to water the garden again?!
Eowyn: I HATE it when you call me that! It was YOUR turn to water the garden!
Faramir: I planted all new crops after you cut the last ones down with that stupid sword of yours!
Eowyn: Is it too much to want to be ready for the next battle?! NEXT time, I WILL die...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] No sleep for Ithilien at night, not with THOSE two going off at each other. And to think: there aren't any other people around for them to vent on. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn am I, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him!" -Éowyn, The Battle of Pelennor Fields

Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have...a penny.

There are approximatley 170 days until the release of 'The Two Towers'...ARRRRRRGGG!!!!!

Thank you for not smoking
Aiwyn of the Eorlingas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 10:27 AM   #21
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Saruman and Wormtongue. I can see it now:

Saruman: You stupid idiot!!!! You threw my Palantir out the window!!!
Worm: Well, I hated it! It didnt do a thing for the decor!!!

hmmm... Otho and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins???
Old 06-08-2002, 03:55 PM   #22
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, Celeborn and Galadriel did nothing for me...or for each other from what I get out of reading LOTR. The Sil doesn't have a romantic story to tell of them either, unless it wasn't memorable and I missed it. Hopefully there's some romance somewhere in History of Middle Earth I haven't read yet. Anyway Celeborn is either a trophy husband or one of those behind the scenes inspirations that make leaders great and never great credit.

As for Eowyn and Faramir...well, I like a little fire in a relationship. After all she is a warrior. Give the kid a break. Just about everyone's had one of those unreturned loves and maybe it makes some of us just a little uncomfortable reading about one that goes as public as Eowyn's. I think she's rather brave to have laid out her feelings and risked rejection. I think Eowyn and Faramir complement one another and had an interesting and passionate relationship.

[ June 08, 2002: Message edited by: greyhavener ]
Old 06-08-2002, 04:00 PM   #23
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

Grayhavener: no, it's not memorable. Galadriel's brother goes off to start his own kingdom, and it's remarked that she stays behind in Doriath with Celeborn because "there was much love between them" or something of the sort. And poof! That's it.

There's a decent fanfic on the subject, however, if I can just find it again.

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 07:29 PM   #24
Keeper-of-Vilya
Pile O'Bones

Keeper-of-Vilya has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The worst couple is without question Galadriel and Celeborn ! I wonder how the heck they ever even managed to have kids !
Old 06-08-2002, 11:49 PM   #25
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:43 AM   #26
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

People, perhaps a recommendation on reading Unfinished Tales will help with the Galadriel and Celeborn angle!

Okay, maybe I am partial…. THEY are my favorite couple! I don’t care what anyone says… I’m relying on ALL the books not just LOTR.

No love between them?????? Sheeeez....

Galadriel CHOSE Celeborn OVER Celebrimbor (THE Ring Maker, fer cryin’ out loud!). I think in LOTR, Celeborn was pictured in less stature… but anyone ever wonder why he’s called Celeborn the Wise? He no longer wanted to stay in Lothlorien when Galadriel left, and was said to have followed her to the West afterwards.
(He wasn’t just a decoration at the side of ME’s MOST powerful FEMALE Eldar. He also helped Thranduil after the War of the Ring, to clear out Mirkwood of the nasty beasties, renaming it to Eryn Lasgalen. And he w/ Galadriel tried to thwart Feanor at the first Kinslaying…. Okay, so I’m babbling! uuummm... is it obvious that I'm a fan? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Not of Cate Blanchett and what's-his-name! the characters in the BOOKS!!!).

Worst couple choice?

1)Erendis and Aldarion. They completely fell out of love.
2)Ar-Pharazôn and Miriel. Sheez, forcing her to marry him so he would be king! And they’re cousins!
3) Turin and Nienor Niniel. What a tragic story! They didn’t know they were brother and sister because Glaurung put a spell on her.
4)Eol and Aredhel. He forced her to live apart from her people and didn't hesistate to try and kill her when she disobeyed him.

Melkor and Ungoliant? Sauron and Shelob? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Thalionyulma ]
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:11 PM   #27
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

Quote:
No love between them?????? Sheeeez...
Hey, I said there was much love between them. It's probably the most ignored love-story in LotR, and I haven't managed to get my hands on a not-falling-apart copy of the Unfinished Tales. All the Silmarillion says is that she stayed in Doriath because of Celeborn. :: shrugs::

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:21 PM   #28
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Sauron and Shelob?
Whoa, don't go there! That's not a picture I want in my mind! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 03:31 PM   #29
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I think Feanor and Nimrodel (something like that) were a pretty bad couple. She was trying to help him and he chooses sum tacky crystals over her. NICE!

If I had a nice eldarin babe would i let her go, hell no!
Old 06-09-2002, 07:43 PM   #30
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My vote is for Deagol and Smeagol.

Here we have 2 best friends, one of whom finds Shiny Object at far bottom of river, whereupon the other is instantly overcome with evil, magical jealousy and kills him! Thus, living out the rest of his (looooooong)days with no friends AT ALL, Smeagol goes on to become a completely miserable wretch! How much more unlucky can you be than to be the poor saps who find the One Ring and have no guidance whatsoever (like an ISTARI, maybe)?
Old 06-10-2002, 09:18 AM   #31
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Weren't Deagol and smeagol brothers. i'm not being picky, just wondering????

I've just thought of a question - why didn't deagol lust after the ring??
Old 06-10-2002, 09:31 AM   #32
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Deagol and Smeagol were cousins.
Deagol didn't get the chance to covet the Ring before being strangled.

My vote would either go to Aldarion and Erendis, or Ancalime and her husband.

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #33
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Sting

Quote:
Deagol didn't get the chance to covet the Ring before being strangled.
Are you sure of that? He did get pretty snotty pretty quickly. "I’ve given you a present already, more than I could afford," is not something I would say to any of my friends (and I assure you, the present is more than I can afford). Don’t know about you guys.

Or maybe Deagol was just a bad friend anyway?

Anyway, I’d say Slinker and Stinker were a pretty bad couple. Always trying to trick each other, bickering, different intended life paths, and only one body between them, poor things. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 11:33 PM   #34
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well..the strangest would have to be turin and nienor..they were siblings though they didnt know it until too late.
aldarion and erendis' wasnt good at all.
..talk about PMS... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:54 AM   #35
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree. I just completed reading about Aldarion & Erendis in the Unfinished Tales, and their relationship is MESSED UP. Talk about opposites attracting for all the wrong reasons. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]
Old 06-13-2002, 08:48 AM   #36
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, I can think of a few worst couples not already cited,
Tell me what you think of them:

1) Otho and Lobelia Sackville- Baggins for the hobbit clan.
Yeah they would certainly have "curdled new milk"--Gandalf [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

2) Bill Ferny and Bill poney.
The first one really doesn't deserve to" waste a good apple"--Sam :P

3) Ugluk the uruk-hai and Grishnakh;
What an "lovely"old married bickering they had about our beloved Pippin and Merry. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

and the best for the end:

4) Saruman and Gandalf, those two are made for each other, aren't they? Particularly cladding with white [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

5) Eowyn and the Witch-King ( wink to another thread)
A so romantic strory there, both are beautiful and powerful in their own way.
Both were doomed to meet each other in passionate circumstances to fulfil their fate.
And... well their first "date" was the unique and fatal one, "un coup de foudre lethal" like we say in my country in all sense terms. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

a word about
Feanor and Nerdanel.
Though the awful temper Faenor had, she bore to him 7 sons. I think she was unfortunatly consumed but Feanor fire spirit.
She certainly had pride and love for her mate but also grievances and sorrow.

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:23 AM   #37
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like your slinker and stinker, Belin. Excellent lateral thinking. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] 'If we split, who gets the body' --why, that's even worse than who gets the dog! Moral: if you intervene in an angry marriage, you'll be bitten for your trouble.
SOV, Eowyn and the Witch King, what an awe-inspiringly hostile date-with-destiny that was! Moral: Never menace a girl's father-figure on the first date! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:33 AM   #38
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Shield

Eol and Aredhel don't make a very good couple either.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:15 AM   #39
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its not really true but Gollum and Elanor would of been the worst thing immaginable
Old 06-19-2002, 07:13 AM   #40
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

some selections of "couples" are rather disturbing...and thankyou for supporting Eowyn greyhavener [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote