The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Stupid Elf

Im as much a fan of Legolas as the next person, but wouldnt you like to see than stupid elf fall flat on his face, just one time? I mean, everyone else has some moment when they show flaw in battle, exept him. I know he has had thousands of years to practice, but come on, no-one is that perfect. I dont want near death, nothing serious, just perhaps a smudge of dirt, or a scratch on the arm. Surly I'm not alone in this?<P>Also, does anyone know where you can buy elf ears. I heard you could, and I want some!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

You can find hobbit/elf ears here:<P><A HREF="http://www.tolkientown.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?PHPSESSID=&keywords=Elf +Ears" TARGET=_blank>Tolkien Town</A>
Old 01-03-2003, 03:08 PM   #3
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thanks. i'll buy them as soon as I get cash.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #4
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

YEAh! aragorn falls off a cliff and Legolas is always sooo perfect!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
Old 01-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well, he is an Elf and is very graceful. Plus, he got a smudged face at Amon Hen.<BR>Why exactly is he a 'stupid elf'?
Old 01-03-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

He is a stupid elf because...well...because he is! So there!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dūm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Your welcome. Glad to help out. And no, Legolas is not a stupied elf, just very...clean?
Old 01-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

He's very something, lets call it clean.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #9
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lol yea.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why shouldn't anyone be perfect? No reason to be anything less than a higher beeing. And he did get a bit mud on himself at Helms Deep.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #11
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

How cool would it be to get to <I>throw</I> mud at an elf?
Old 01-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #12
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perfect? Legolas? You must be talking about some different elf.<P>Let's see, in FotR: He gets all kind of elvish hunches about bad things coming, and doesn't do anything about it. He fails to convince Haldir to let Gimli into Lorien without a blindfold. He fails to prevent the abduction of Merry and Pippin by the uruk-hai. <P>In tTT: Although he's an elf, he lets Aragorn take the lead when they are tracking the hobbits. He becomes afraid for his own life at Helm's Deep and loses it with Aragorn. Then he fails to kill the orc with the torch, even with Aragorn screaming at him, so that the wall is breached. Hundreds of men and elves die as a result.<P>Definitely not perfect
Old 01-03-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*holds hands over her ears* None of you jealous guys can convince me that Legolas is stupid or powerless. Besides, in the book there is no such "Kill him, kill him!" scene anyway. In the movie, Legolas hits him twice. TWICE, and the stupid Uruk-hai kept on running. And about his words with Aragorn: who <I>wouldn't</I> be scared? Would any of you have done better, hmm?
Old 01-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #14
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

My problem with Legolas in the movie is that he is way too full of himself, as most elves probably are...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:50 PM   #15
Melime
Pile O'Bones

Melime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How cool would it be to get to throw mud at an elf? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The one problem with that is you probably would only be able to do it one before getting turned into a pincushion. O.o LOL
Old 01-04-2003, 01:36 AM   #16
anduin angel 44
Pile O'Bones

anduin angel 44 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

no legolas is the coolest person in the series in my opinion and he has been around thousands of years so he should be perfect. and if all of a sudden he wasnt then that wouldnt be in character for him. his character is perfect. thats the whole idea. if he wasnt then it wouldnt make sense.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:56 AM   #17
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Another thing that bothers me about him is that he is always so serious in the film. In the book, he was a bit funnier. And anyway, how does he do all those little plaits at the back of his head every single day? Is this another elf power I have never heard of?
Old 01-04-2003, 05:55 AM   #18
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>*holds hands over her ears* None of you jealous guys can convince me that Legolas is stupid or powerless. Besides, in the book there is no such "Kill him, kill him!" scene anyway. In the movie, Legolas hits him twice. TWICE, and the stupid Uruk-hai kept on running. And about his words with Aragorn: who wouldn't be scared? Would any of you have done better, hmm?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No need to overreact. I listed those examples to show he wasn't perfect, not because I think he's weak. I wouldn't like him very much if he was flawless. Elves may live a long time, but that doesn't make them perfect, just experienced.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:02 AM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The "stupid Uruk-Hai"? Why is it stupid? Because the arrows it got pierced with didn't kill it?<P>And how is Legolas always so serious and never funny? Well, the majority of the time the characters have to be serious because they are fighting for their lives. It's hardly a comedy film. Though there are funny lines in it.<P>"You're late."<P>"You look terrible"<P>"I'm on seventeen!"<P>Hmmm?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #20
**sparkle fairy**
Pile O'Bones

**sparkle fairy** has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yes i agree or maybe the urak - hai (can't spell) should because i know you can't possibly run through the woods with out falling over, its impossible.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:02 AM   #21
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

Sting

whoa whoa, i too think elves are incredibly awesome. so did tolkien. i bet if we started dissing aragorn (my fave character) we wouldnt get results like this! we just want to see a little flaw, and he couldve killed the orc, i forgot about that. that is enough for me.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
Old 01-04-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Actually, to me it looked like he killed the orc. If you notice, after he hit it the second time, it fell foward(as it died)and unfortunately lit the bomb-thingy.And anyway, he couldnt really do anything about it because another orc would have just picked up the torch and lit it.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 PM   #23
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Less 'who's stupid' talk, more character talk.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #24
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yet another thing that bothers me. Why do elves in the film never seem to run out of arrows. legolas is constantly using them, but whenever he turnes his back his quiver is full. How be that?
Old 01-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #25
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril

Take into consideration the natural grace of the elves. Also, he does get hurt. If you think back to Moria, he came out of the mines with a nasty looking bang on his head
Old 01-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #26
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I always assumed that was a smudge. Cool. Elf running through Moria. Elf turns round to shoot Orc. Elf runs straight into wall. Thump, bang, lying on the floor with stars around his head. Life flashes before elf, taking about an hour.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:43 PM   #27
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<<Why do elves in the film never seem to run out of arrows.>><P>I was wondering that myself. It only looks like there's twenty arrows at the most. And I didn't notice that the uruk-hai fell before the wall blew up (have to watch it again!)
Old 01-04-2003, 06:12 PM   #28
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...but wouldnt you like to see than stupid elf fall flat on his face, just one time? ... no-one is that perfect... <P>He is a stupid elf because...well...because he is! So there! <P>...how does he do all those little plaits at the back of his head every single day? Is this another elf power I have never heard of... <P>I always assumed that was a smudge. Cool. Elf running through Moria. Elf turns round to shoot Orc. Elf runs straight into wall. Thump, bang, lying on the floor with stars around his head. Life flashes before elf, taking about an hour. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think Eleanor Niphredil
Old 01-04-2003, 06:15 PM   #29
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

continued (oops)...<P>I think that Eleanor Niphredil needs to show a little more respecto towards our Legolas. Does anyone else think so?
Old 01-04-2003, 06:33 PM   #30
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Sorry, but I'd have to agree with movie-Legolas's critics. One thing that bothers me about legolas is that he seems too one-sided. Just like Gimli is the comedian, and Frodo the dribbling cringing sufferer, Legolas is the "cool guy" who is perfect and performs stunts and makes clever remarks: "your late" and "you look terrible". Even though his is an elf, and I definately think that elves are awesome, movie-Legolas is lacking a lot of book character.<P>Singing Deeply,<BR>Iarwain
Old 01-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #31
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Oh ... no, sorry Eleanor ... I was just kidding about the "respect" thing. I agree with you as well about Legolases seemingly perfect role. lol
Old 01-04-2003, 08:32 PM   #32
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

mmm, the never-ending arrows bothered me for a while, but then I watched more closely. When he's on the wall with the other elven archers, it makes sense that they would have reserves of arrows up there, some kid running along behind them restocking them.<P>Right, then when the orcs start coming up the ladders, he uses the arrows in his quiver.<P>Then the wall blows up, and they start falling back to the keep. In this part, Legolas's quiver is empty and he's using his little short swords for a while.<P>Then, when they're regrouping at the keep, he has a full quiver again, presumably because he's had time to either gather arrows or snatch a bundle from somewhere.<P>So it's not that bad
Old 01-05-2003, 04:04 AM   #33
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Oh ... no, sorry Eleanor ... I was just kidding about the "respect" thing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am a writer. I suffer for my art.<P>And belive me, if I was in front of an elf with his bow drawn and pointing it straight at me, I would have a little more respect!
Old 01-05-2003, 08:25 AM   #34
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I agree with the critics. Letting Aragorn lead was completely non-elfish (I'm guessing that's the adjective) and the stunts were a little too perfect. But it was an improvment from barely-speaking-no-personality Legolas in FotR. Besides his stunts, he wasn't perfect and yes, the torchbearing orc did die, or at least took a final lunge at the bomb. So stop picking on him! <P> Also, is it just me or did he pick up arrows from an orc in FotR? I know he does in the book (in first chapter of TTT). Maybe it's just wishful thinking. You want him imperfect, you should see what I did too him in my FanFic. Now that is flawed. I have to finish typing it but then I'm posting it on this site!
Old 01-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #35
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, c'mon people. Lets not spoil this PERFECT movie. Legolas IS perfect, can't u see.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:35 PM   #36
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

He needs to get stabbed in the leg or something. My friend Coral would do it without hesitation. Of course, then I'd fly through the air and try to block it, and die. She would pull the blade out of me and stab him. And everyone would be sad. A very dramatic scene. Well, seriously, I think he should get injured or something, doesn't have to be serious. Note that he did get a bruise in FOTR and his face had some mudges on it for a while there. Hey, atleast it was something!<P>Legolas was friends with Aragorn and he respected him as a 'good man' not corruptable like Boromir. Aragorn having little or no temptation over the ring and his being the king and all I believe are fine reasons for Legolas to let him lead out of respect for this man who was favored by Undomiel! And wasn't he like raised sorta among elves? Aragorn was (in my mind) half elven without being immortal.<P>The Uruk-hai was stupid because it was running around in a loin cloth. End of story! Anyway, it wasn't his fault, that was a special type of Uruk-hai (creaated by the movie people) called beserkers. They are tougher than other Uruk-hai, and have basically no fear. That's why the thing jumped in to blow itself up without any hesitations. Also, those were the Uruk-hai who rode on the ladders originally. You know, when there were only one. I don't think they feal pain until they're dead, that's why they just wear loin cloths instead of armour like the rest of the Uruk-hai. I think their brains are so small that they can't figure out that they should be dead.<P>Sorry that went on so long, I was reading some more of the posts and found new things to say! Grrr...my smilies aren't working!<P>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]<p>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 01-05-2003, 12:49 PM   #37
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I've thought it over, and I think Legolas is good perfect, and that I wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:52 PM   #38
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I meant that!
Old 01-05-2003, 07:49 PM   #39
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

I think everyone is being a little TOO critical. Sure, I thought the "mounting the horse on the opposite side with one hand while putting bow away" episode was a bit much, but common! He's an elf! Hes supposed to be good! Also, I think there is a logical reason for his not getting hurt as much as, say, Aragorn. He's an archer! He shoots his enemies (though he is awesome with those elvish knives of his), and thus he rarely comes into physical combat with an enemy. Instead of jupping onto lurtz, like Viggo did, he would have launched a volly of shafts into the villian's thick head - end of story! I do have to agree, though, that he did seem "perfect". But, in my view, "perfect" is a good thing and fans should be glad that there is a character that possesses some - "perfect," and arn't bumbling idiots like all those orcs that seem so.... un-intelligent......<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"A fork is better than nothing, but nothing is better than a hot meal. So a fork and spoon is better than a hot meal." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]<p>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 01-06-2003, 12:44 AM   #40
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'd forgotten about the horse thing.That was to much, and not exactly perfect. Flying elf! Cool! Wouldnt he of got mowed over by the horse whilst putting his horse away? Is that the scene where Orlando fell off?
Closed Thread