Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #121
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
No, Bb, it's not much more work, really – I’ve found that I incorporated most of the post titles in some fashion already.

And I would not dare presume to rewrite the brilliance exhibited in the originals. Most of my editing was to rearrange the order of posts to reduce the number of times you encounter various forms of the phrase “While [event X in a prior post] was going on, [character Y] was [doing something in the same timeframe].” In a number of cases, I would actually split posts into pieces so that I could interleave simultaneous events, thus eliminating most of the times where the reader would have to make the mental time-shift, unless such a shift was intentional. But in doing so, I tried to make sure that when I separated a post into sections that all the sections were present-and-accounted-for in the final version.

I also corrected (or perhaps I should say Microsoft Word did the corrections) spelling errors. In very, very rare instances where a descriptive word was used multiple times in close proximity I would substitute a (hopefully creative) synonym for one of them, but I will certainly defer to any requests of the original authors to restore any such alterations.

I should have the latest edits available within a couple of days. All who wish to receive a copy, let me know via PM, along with your e-mail if you can receive large attachments.

Thanks for all your support in this project!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #122
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The Sounds Of Silence

It is now full three weeks since our last post in the main thread of REB Le Troisičme. I could shift blame and say I was waiting for the baliffs to arrive, as foretold in the last save, but it is time to move forward. I will be giving the next post from Gateskeeper a hearty attempt in the next few days. I just wanted to give a nudge to all the rest as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #123
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You've spent those weeks toiling at a labour none of us would have tackled, Thena! Your time was not only well spent to our advantage, but used to further the cause of the Fellow/Galship.

I have also used the past weeks for Tolkien business, what with preparing my paper on the 'Autobiographical Tolkien' for the seminar lecture, along with the matching quilt. Ha! How many Tolkienists, even though they be much more learned than I, can boast of that combination?!

Unfortunately, it looks like we have temporarily lost Squatter - he hasn't been around much in the past several weeks. I left the males at a drinking revel; it would be great if you post, Thena - it doesn't have to be lengthy - then I can post for one or more of my male characters. Alas for the many irons I have in the fire at the moment...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #124
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
what with preparing my paper on the 'Autobiographical Tolkien' for the seminar lecture, along with the matching quilt. Ha! How many Tolkienists, even though they be much more learned than I, can boast of that combination?!
We grovel pathetically at your glorious feet...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #125
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Well, I've been doing Tolkienish things too ... er ... Werewolfing counts, doesn't it ...?

That SAVE weighs on my shoulders like an overweight Aerophaunt. Um ... I'm working on it.

Btw, Thena, I have some suggested amendments to some of my contributions to REB2 (based largely on subsequent name changes which were not carried through). I haven't had a chance to read through the entire manuscript yet, though. Should I e-mail them to you now or wait until I have read more?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #126
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
@Kuru:
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #127
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

SpM: In re-reading (several times!) the manuscript, I think we were all guilty at times of giving new parody names to items/people/places which had been named already in earlier posts. I thought long and hard about trying to reconcile these names, but eventually took Esty's sage advice:
Quote:
REB has no continuity...REB needs no continuity.
That being said, I will accept any corrections or updates that we-the-authors deem necessary or even just desireable. When sending along proposed changes, be sure to indicate the page number to help me find and make the changes. I am maintaining a copy of the original (sent out) and a master-update copy, so I can reference original page numbers.

Also, if you haven't already contributed your entry to the Bio section in the foreword (Thanks, Kuruharan!) please do so when you can.

Thanks all!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #128
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Guilty - I will send you that info ASAP, Thena. I haven't been able to proofread yet in these hasty days, but I will do my best soon. And yes, not all parody names need to be unified - the changes were part of the fun!

I have a question to all authors:

A German friend who has read some of REB asked me to do a reading in connection with her lecture on Mary Sue fan fiction at the annual meeting of the German Tolkien society this summer. She thinks it's hilarious and would be an amusing way to illustrate her points. Any objections? It's not public and not commercial.

Speak soon, or forever hold your peace.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #129
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

I have no objections, and would love to hear about it afterwards!

EDIT: I am reminded of discovering one of my own renaming faux-pas -- I found that Diamond had named "the swinging city of Gondola", where I had mentioned that one of Gateskeeper's Loyer-associates was present at the "fall of Mandolin".
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #130
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Can't we keep both, Thena? I find both too good to delete! Besides, Tolkien had a multitude of names for characters and sometimes places, so why can't we?!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #131
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I don't have any particular objections, although I'm curious about what selections she'd make.

I also advise against reading this at work. It’s been years since I really read it and so it is sort of fresh for me again.

Many bouts of poorly suppressed laughter don't endear one to one's co-workers...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #132
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Quote:
Can't we keep both, Thena?
But of course. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, and none of us is small-minded.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #133
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe How long has it been?

Sorry, ladles and jellyspoons; the last few weeks have been ridiculously busy and I've not been up to doing any writing. On top of various other problems, I've managed to delete the entire contents of my computer's hard drive, including all of my connection details, and I've not yet got round to setting it all back up again. I am still checking my PMs, though.

Expect some sort of contribution in the near future.

Edit: I have not forgotten you, comrades. A post is in progress, and should be complete this weekend.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rűdh; 07-14-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #134
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
See now, here's the very reason why, or at least a major reason why, I declined to join in this voyage out. I suspected that the ship would rapidly become becalmed and I knew that I just couldn't stand the suspense.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-08-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #135
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

ZZZZZZZZZ *sputter* ZZzzzz.....whaaaa...?

Did somebody say something?

Hellooo...?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #136
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

REB is alive and - well, alive. Consider my brief post as First Aid while waiting for a full cure...

btw, Saucy - there's a five month old save back a few posts - do you remember what you wanted to use it for?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #137
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Merry Christmas to all who aren't posting here! My post owes a good deal to Louisa May Alcott, to whom I apologize abjectly.

Let us hope for an Entish revival in the New Year!
Old 12-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #138
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Let us hope for an Entish revival in the New Year!
Hoom huuum. Does that "Entish" mean a revival that's not hasty?

Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #139
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

"Hasty" is certainly not the word I would use to describe this RPG!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #140
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

My last post ends with a "meanwhile" - any of you guys want to fill that with content? If not, I will be putting up a new post very soon. If by my triple post I can save this story's life, I will. You have my pen!*

*The last I heard, it's supposed to be mightier than the sword...

edit: I posted a "meanwhile", though that does not mean another can't be done. Let me know if you have something. Oh, and much of my post was lifted verbatim from RotK, plus a bit from TT - those passages fit the situation so well that I really couldn't improve on the words!

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 01-24-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #141
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Methinks there was another source that was lifted, if not uplifted.

A fitting way to find a future for the Ents from the Kween of Parodee.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #142
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For the time being, this thread will be stashed safely in Elvenhome.

It may be resurrected upon request.

~*~ Pio