The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2002, 10:16 AM   #1
PearlDolamrath

Sting Acting out FOTR

THIS DID ACTUALLY HAPPEN!

During the Summer holidays my family and I were visiting some LTR fan friends and my brother and I started acting out FOTR with the two children. As there were only four of us we had to each play several parts and most parts had more than one person playing them. We skipped the prolouge as none of us could remember the bits of Elvish at the beginning. One of the friends, she will be refered to as A, was really into LTR and claimed the part of Frodo imediatly. The other friend, he will be refered to as B, wasn't quite as into it and kept forgetting his lines.
My brother got the part of Gandalf to begin with. Half way through Gandalf and Frodo's discussion about Bilbo, A forgot her lines and I took over being Frodo. When Gandalf reached Bag End he was greeted by three Bilbos who helped each other to remember their lines. My brother took over Bilbo at the party and A started playing Gandalf. Near the end of The Shadow of the Past A decided she wanted to be Sam and so Gandalf was given back to my brother.
B was supossed to play Saruman but after awhile my brother and A said all his lines for him while he pretended to say them.
Some people online have complained about film-Frodo dropping the ring too often, well in our version it was much worse as my outfit didn't have a pocket and the ring had to be stored in a fold which it kept falling out of.
Strider (as portrayed by my brother) developed a new skill in our version, he was imune to the invisabilty of the ring, or in other words, my brother grabbed my and told me I drew far to much attention to myself while I still had the ring on!
The Nazgul's attack of the bed was more like the version in the Bakshi film than the new film as we weren't that good at synchronisation, our shrieks were very satisfying though.
Weathertop was quite well done too despite the fact that the Lord of the Nazgul (B) was under the impresion that he had killed Strider.
The Ford scene was great even though I was being held tightly by the back of my shirt by Arwen (A).
Elrond (B) was awful so we skipped from Frodo saying he was ready to go home to the Council of Elrond where my brother took charge. A wanted to play Legolas and B was scheduled for Gimli. My brother took the parts of bothe Boromir and Strider as I was already such a mian part. However, when Gimli was called upon to break his axe B wasn't forthcoming so I ran forward, grabbed his axe from him and cried "What are we waiting for?!"
On Caradhras I was a little worried that for once the ring would not fall out of the fold, but luckly it did. We then got a new Saruman (A) who chanted something very simalir to what Arwen had said at the ford...
In Moria I was alowed to play that wondefully important charactor the skeleton, my last part as we had to leave then. I hope to continue the game next time we see our friends.

Have any of you had similar experiances.

Oh and by the way, THIS DID ACTUALLY HAPPEN!
Old 10-06-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow. A little confusing, but I think I got what was going on that day.

I have never really acted out any of it, especially since the only time I see my LOTR loving friends is at school, and I would probably get suspended or something.

{If you don't know what I am talking about yet, there is a topic in Novices and Newcomers called LOTR Banned!!!. Go read it, then you'll understand.}

Anyway, that would be fun to do. Hmmm....thinking about next party idea. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 12:23 PM   #3
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I've only done it very unofficially on a street corner with two of my friends. We used umbrellas as swords, horses, and anything else we needed. My silver ring that I bougt at a craft fair was the One Ring.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:27 PM   #4
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

well, one time my family and my bro's friend and my friend went to a campground on vacation. we wanted to act out certain "scenes" from the movie so i printed out a script of lotr, and use my dad's video camera and my soundtrack and cd player.

we felt like pj when we had to tramp through the campground in costume looking 4 a "shooting location". we found a place that look exactly like when sam n frodo are hiking after gandalf leaves them (not the waterfall or the part w/ the mountain in the backround, but the place where you see a small house and trees in the backround)

so i played frodo, my friend played gandalf, my neice (11) played sam, my bro video-taped with one speaker of my headphones taped on the microphone of the video camera, and my nephew (13) threw his hat out of camera range so my neice would know when to say "this is it" to line up with the music. (when the cd player said the time "1:11", he knew then to throw it, we used track 4, cause that's what they use in the movie) we hoped to do the canoe scene (they had canoe rentals and from one veiwpoint it looked like the real "eastern shore" and the scene where boromir dies. but that one scene took two days to get prepared! (can't wait till next time! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
it was really fun, i wish i could show u guys how it turned out sumhow on here, my mom can't get over our acting skills. haha [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Those experiences sounds interesting, guys! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It must be really really fun to act out FOTR with costumes and etc.! I seriously want to act out the whole thing as if in a play someday soon; perhaps I can organize a neighborhood production. Come to think of it, my neighborhood is filled with almost all old people, no young people. Eehee, even if they were up for the play, the Fellowship would be incredibly slow-moving. I don't think the hobbits had walkers!

My friends that carpool with me in the morning and in the afternoon to school like LOTR too, not as much as me. We assign characters while we're in the car sometimes, and we just say the lines in order. We pick our favorite scenes.

My brother and I also frequently act out some scenes from the movie, but nothing well organized or serious. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have noone who would act out the scenes with me. Normaly if I want to act out a scene it's just me and the movie. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Wouldn't it be fun if we could get a barrowdowns group together to film our own little LotR movie? Then we could include Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I act out the movie by myself in front of the tv all the time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I say all of Arwen's lines, and a lot of the other characters, too.
Arwen
Old 10-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #8
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

That would be awesome! But I get to cast Glorfindel.