Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #401
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
She'll be worried anyway, especially if she learns that he went back to try to fight after getting hurt!

-- Folwren
Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #402
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've put up a save. I wanted to make sure that I posted Aiwendil's response to Rôg before the actual flight and/or fighting started. If any other poster wants to go ahead and take that next step describing the flight and/or the fighting in a new post, you don't have to wait for my save to be filled in.

If no one posts before I fill my own save, I will push the action forward a little further.....but not too far since I know we're still waiting for Tevildo and Shae.

That's probably as clear as mud!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-13-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #403
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Save filled.

Just let me know if everything looks all right, Tevildo.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:23 AM   #404
Child of the 7th Age

In order to get us started, I've used several of your characters. Lindir has also made some decisions as to what we're going to do. Please let me know if anything is a problem.

Tevildo - please feel free to encounter us shortly in any form or fashion you choose.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #405
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Brinniel -

I've am sending you a pm. Please let me know what group you want Shae to be with and also whether he can borrow the horse.

Your earlier post was just right.

Tevildo

EDIT AND CORRECTION: Your message box is full
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #406
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hm....would Kwell know the difference between a hobbit and a dwarf? They're both shorter than men and he probably hasn't seen or heard of either one before.

Anyhow, I'm about to fill my save in which he clumps them both into the class of hobbits. (Carl told him he was a hobbit in pit.)

-- Folwren
Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #407
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Oh this RL is killling me!
(And being in a WW-game during the little sparetime awake one has doesn't help RPGing either... )

Durelin: I've posted for Hadith. I haven't mentioned the information about Khamir's decision in the post, so the lads are still not knowledgeable of the situation. So it's up to you now.

Regin: I will be away during the weekend, but will try to post something asap. as I return. If you wish, please continue. Gwerr would accept Ishkur's offer and at least show a good comradeship... maybe he has it too, but it's on a somewhat shallow ground still.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #408
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
No worries, Nogrod! I do hope 'RL' gets less crazy for you, though.

I just posted...twice, shamelessly. Adnan's response, and I went ahead and had Khamir address the entire camp. Perhaps it seems a bit far-fetched that he could just address them all at once like that, but I doubt they are very spread out - I rather expect it's quite the opposite!

At any rate, Khamir is in for a rude awakening when the Fellowship shows up, stealing all his glory.

Hopefully I can get a post for Vrór up tomorrow, perhaps having a word or two to say to Kwell.

Unfortunately, I will have a busy weekend, but that shouldn't be a problem...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #409
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Hopefully I can get a post for Vrór up tomorrow, perhaps having a word or two to say to Kwell.
Ha. Can't wait.

-- Foley
Old 09-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #410
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

Save filled. Child and Brinniel - As we discussed, I used your characters. Please let me know if I should edit anything. I wasn't sure about the Elf thing and Shae. If that's wrong, let me know.

Group out on the plain....whenever the next person posts from that group, you can assume that Dorran has joined you and that Azhar is now on horseback (she's my character too).

It looks as if the other group is hiding in the tunnel entrance just under that blanket...
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #411
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Would you mind if Azhar rode with Rôg? Or does she need to be on a separate mount?

~*~ Pio
Old 09-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #412
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Riding together is fine. You're welcome to use Azhar in your post.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #413
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevildo
Save filled. Child and Brinniel - As we discussed, I used your characters. Please let me know if I should edit anything. I wasn't sure about the Elf thing and Shae. If that's wrong, let me know.
Erm. . . I don't have much say, considering I don't own either of those characters, but I didn't think that it fit very well. It seems Lindir would be pretty quick to notice that she was a woman, for one thing, and that she didn't look very much like the other slavers for another. When Dorran mistook her for a bad person, that was understandable, considering his position, but Lindir's putting a knife to her back doesn't make sense.

Also, why, in both your posts, does it seem that Shae has no clothing on? It's very confusing and I'm bothered if that's the case. Very, extremely bothered. I'm sorry to be the one to complain, but it seems mighty uncomfortable to me. If she is clothingless, yick, if she is not, Tevildo, sorry, you're posts make it unclear to me.

To finish, if this post seems short tempered, it's because I am short tempered just now and very tired.

My apologies in advance.

-- Folwren
Old 09-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #414
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I filled in Carl's save. Hope that it passes muster, as I am feeling a bit scatterbrained. I did mention Shae's clothes if it is any help, Folwren! But I do apologize for not giving time for Shae and Kwell to talk immediately. Hopeful they can now at their leisure.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #415
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Also, why, in both your posts, does it seem that Shae has no clothing on? It's very confusing and I'm bothered if that's the case. Very, extremely bothered. I'm sorry to be the one to complain, but it seems mighty uncomfortable to me. If she is clothingless, yick, if she is not, Tevildo, sorry, you're posts make it unclear to me.
Shae is wearing clothing, though they do appear more as tattered rags. Did you get the indication that she wasn't by Tevildo's mention of the brand on her ankle? Shae doesn't have shoes- just rags on her feet. Basically her legs are bare from the knee down. So much to one's joy/disappointment , Shae is definitely not naked- she'd probably attract too much attention if she were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
It seems Lindir would be pretty quick to notice that she was a woman, for one thing, and that she didn't look very much like the other slavers for another. When Dorran mistook her for a bad person, that was understandable, considering his position, but Lindir's putting a knife to her back doesn't make sense.
You know, I did like the whole mistaken identity idea, but you do have a point. As an elf, Lindir would most likely not mistaken Shae for a slaver. Perhaps if the roles were to be reversed and Shae mistakes Lindir for the enemy. After all, being blind in one eye, Shae's vision is fairly poor, plus she has never seen an elf before.

Just a thought. It's all up to Tevildo to make the changes....
Old 09-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #416
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Folwren and Tevildo - please check your PM's.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 09-17-2006, 02:26 AM   #417
Child of the 7th Age

Since Lindir is my character, it may help if I share some information. Tevildo and I communicated before the post, and it's essentially what we discussed.

To make things more believable, we felt Shae should approach on horseback. That way, Lindir wouldn't see her full profile, but merely glimpse an unknown rider hunched down on the back of a horse. Lindir would have sprung up and dragged Shae off from the rear and then held the dagger to her throat. Shae probably cried out as she was wrestled down. When Dorran arrived, the Elf's knife had just touched her throat. Had he come an instant later, Lindir would likely have recognized his own mistake and released her.

I imagined Lindir waiting in the tunnel just beneath that blanket. (This wasn't spelled out in the actual post.). That way, his view of anyone approaching would be limited. Still, I don't think the tunnel is critical. Lindir is just plain edgy--worrying about the prisoners, worrying about Aiwendil's group, worrying Dorran has been injured or killed--and more likely to make a mistake. I envisioned Shae in a floppy tunic and pants, clothes that would mask the fact she was a woman. Interesting that we bring away so many different images from a single story!

I've used Lindir several times. His distinguishing characteristic is that he is an Elf who does make mistakes. He's not malicious but has made some boners in his long life. I've done this intentionally--I cannot stand 'perfect' Elves. If you think it would clarify things, I can interject a short post of my own somewhere inside Tevildo's, explaining the situation from the Elf's perspective up to the point he tackles the rider. Just let me know....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-17-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #418
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I am sorry. Apparently I've made a mistake in my reading of the posts. . .

Thanks for clearing up my mistake, Brinniel.

Don't worry about making a short post of your own to go into Tevildo's, Child. I'm fine.

Once more, I'm very sorry.

-- Folwren
Old 09-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #419
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Thanks for clearing that all up, Child. The whole situation does make better sense now.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #420
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Folwren,

That's alright. Mistakes happen. And thanks to everyone who helped clear this up.

Tevildo
Old 09-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #421
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

My post is filled.

I've put in a hook for Azhar at the end of it. Let me know, Tevildo, if any edit is needed.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #422
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I will hopefully fill my save this morning or early this afternoon.

Tevildo, I wanted to know, is Dorran going to be arriving just after the three who just arrived? In what sort of condition is he? That is, is he on the verge of fainting, or is he pretty steady? Mostly, what should be Athwen's first idea when she sees Dorran? Also, where is the cut and how deep is it?

Azhar still has a fever, doesn't she?

Pio, Rog's wound has quit bleeding and he's still walking and has ability to speed up and catch up the others. He doesn't seem to be about to topple over. How long and deep is it? Is it just a painful flesh wound that will heal with little mending? The arrow just skimmed his ribs, right?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #423
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Folwren

The arrow sliced a long, shallow, ragged gash along his right flank. Rôg's tunic is all stuck into it by the dried blood. His left shoulder is just massively bruised and painful from the whack on it by the flat of one of the slavers' swords.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #424
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Folwren

The arrow sliced a long, shallow, ragged gash along his right flank. Rôg's tunic is all stuck into it by the dried blood. His left shoulder is just massively bruised and painful from the whack on it by the flat of one of the slavers' swords.
Hm. I know where a horse's flank is, and I would assume a man's would be between the rib cage and hip bone, correct? That would hurt. I'll fix you up (that is, Athwen will fix Rog up. . .).

Quote:
Dorran finally makes it back to the knoll, grimacing through clenched teeth but trying to act as if nothing is the matter.
I have to chuckle. That's just like a man.

-- Foley
Old 09-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #425
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Folwern -

Dorran will be meeting everyone at the knoll as soon as I manage to fill my save, probably tonight. His main problem is that cracked rib, which is hurting. The gash on his head is not large, and he has an assortment of bumps and bruises. He's likely to grit his teeth and tell his wife that he is just fine! He's not badly hurt but needs to be reminded to slow down and take a breather.

Azhar is another matter. She is worse than she looks--burning up with fever. The origin of this fever should not be known to Athwen, please.

You're welcome to use my characters to get things started. If you fill your save before mine, I'll merely respond to what Athwen said or did.

EDIT: P.S. We crossposted, and, yes, Dorran has a bit of male pride as well as not wanting his wife to worry.

Pio -

I'd very much like to have Azhar briefly say something to Rôg. Could I post it on the discussion thread and you could slot it into your box?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #426
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Azhar is another matter. She is worse than she looks--burning up with fever. The origin of this fever should not be known to Athwen, please.
Don't fear about that. She'll probably think Azhar's been pushed to the point of physical break down and exhaustion. Besides, I hardly know the origin of the fever myself. I know nothing about tending fevers. . .I need to start looking stuff up in Mom's natural healing book.

-- Folwren
Old 09-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #427
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, apologies to everyone. I had an important college visit on Saturday, and then yesterday the cable was out...was out for most of today, as well. Right now I'm at home only because of a severe sinus infection (I'm one of those chronic people, but every so often it flares up really bad...).

At any rate, I apologize that I did not follow through on getting Vror in on the action. I will as soon as all those saves are filled in and I figure out how everything's playing out.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #428
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Tevildo

Be happy to place the post for Azhar.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #429
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

My save is only half filled. Well, more than half, but uncompleted. I was interrupted at work while I was typing it and it was time to leave before I could finish. . .

It's time for dinner now. Spent the last two hours with my horse. I'll finish writing the post later this evening. Hope no one minds a terrible amount. . .

EDIT: I am sorry. Still didn't get around to it. Tevildo, go ahead and fill in your save. I will work with what you write. I can do that, really, and I should have had my save filled long ago. I've really written as far as I was planning to before having Dorran be spotted riding towards camp, so just write what you want. Before Dorran comes, I think I was planning on having Athwen ask where the others were, what had happened, and if anyone was hurt, at which time, she would have heard that Rog was wounded and maybe asked him what was wrong, but then Dorran would come trotting in, so. . .just do whatever. And, goodnight.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 09-18-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #430
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pio

Could you paste this up as we discussed? Am I right about Rôg's lack of weapons? I believe your profile mentioned this. If not, let me know.

Thank you.

POST PLACED ~*~ PIO --you're right, Rôg bears no weapons, except for a small knife for sharpening quills

Tevildo's post - Azhar

When Azhar tried to remember where she had heard Rôg's voice, she could only dredge up stray images of flashing lights and roaring animals. Since these made no sense, she tried to push all thoughts aside except the need to place one foot in front of the other and push on as quickly as possible to the chosen meeting point. Struggling for a while to match Rôg's longer stride, she couldn't help but think how out of place the man seemed heading across the plains of Mordor. Rôg's face and demeanor were gentle. He did not wear a sword or long-bladed dagger around his waist. The elder who now led their group at least carried a hefty wooden staff that could double as a weapon. But for some reason that Azhar could only guess, Rôg preferred to do without. No freeman of Mordor, scoundrel or honest man, would set out on a long journey without picking out a sturdy sword and battle knife. Azhar remembered how the freed slaves, almost all the men and many of the women, had fought over the privilege of carrying a sword. Then how could she explain Rôg?

This was not the only question troubling Azhar. Despite the pounding of her head and the hot flush spreading across her cheeks, the girl was struggling to understand the actions of her rescuers. Why had Rôg and his other companions come all this way to risk their lives for the sake of slaves they didn't even know? There was nothing in Azhar's past to help her understand this. Over the years, she had tried her best to manipulate the guards, wrangling or negotiating small treats and special favors. The thought of doing something for someone purely out of a caring heart was foreign to her. Perhaps the closest she had come to it was her sympathy for Kwell in the pit.

The girl glanced over at Rôg, wondering if there would be time to ask her questions. But before Azhar could speak, she glimpsed a grassy knoll just ahead and a woman beckoning them all forward. Reluctantly, Azhar slipped away from Rôg. Her questions would need to wait. It was probably a good thing. The fever was dragging her down both in body and spirit. Unsteadily, she grabbed onto Aiwendil's arm for support, shivering slightly.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-19-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #431
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

I filled in Dorran's save. Folwren -- I don't think it will interfere with finishing your post. I just have Dorran sitting on the ground watching you work with patients. But if you do need an edit, let me know.....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #432
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

No edits necessary. I'm nearly finished with mine.

EDIT: K, save filled, mostly. I had one question left for Pio. I don't know if I should have the wound bandaged or not. Since it's not dangerous, now that the bleeding has stopped and it's been cleaned and dressed (probably with some sort of herb to take care of bleeding and infection, like plankton, and oil or honey), I was thinking it may be a good idea to save the limited bandages for more dangerous things. What do you think?

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 09-19-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #433
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Folwren

I think your cleansing of the wound and some unguent/salve will be enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tevildo

I'm going to put up a SAVE. If you don't mind, Rôg will sit down by Azhar and speak with her. If it's OK, I'll mention she's dropped into a light, troubled sleep. Wil that be alright?

~*~ Pio
Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #434
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

Pio,

Thank you. That sounds fine. Use her as needed in your post.

Tevildo
Old 09-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #435
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Nogrod,

I kept hoping you'd get back to post. But now I've gone ahead and filled in the save. I've used Gwerr a lot. Let me know if anything should be changed.

- Regin
Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #436
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I have posted, and I do hope I have assessed the situation correctly.

Brinniel - I used Shae a little bit, so let me know if I handled her properly.

I got everyone at least started on the way back to the camp, and I do hope that's alright. Seems we've avoided true confrontation with the slavers at this point, but...that will not last for long.

Please, anyone let me know if I need to change anything about my post.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #437
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Regin: Everything's alright, but one little detail... I think Gwerr is more than happy with the next night's raid - if the slavers actually will be away, that's the thing he is doubting. So the next one in the end:
Quote:
"Alright, Ishkur. You've had your fun. Let's get out of here and back to camp. Then we can talk about tomorrow's raid. I'm willing to consider it if the slavers really do clear out."
Would more likely be:
"Alright, Ishkur. You've had your fun. Let's get out of here and back to camp. Then we can talk about tomorrow's raid. I'm all in if the slavers really do clear out."

I'll try to come up with a post in a couple of days (sorry, but RL seems pretty hectic now with the national examinations underway)

Slave escapees: I have basically written a post (by hand) where Hadith makes a speech - not the least to his own surprise. He will call for all to be free men and so not to blame Khamir, but not either doing what he is planning right now by just obeying. Hadith will stay at the camp and defend it, if that comes about... I left a save for it to be filled, soon enough, I hope. But just for you to go on if you will go forwards...
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #438
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Tevildo

My SAVE is filled in. I'll leave it up to you how much or how little Azhar heard of Rôg's story.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #439
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Slave escapees: I have basically written a post (by hand) where Hadith makes a speech - not the least to his own surprise. He will call for all to be free men and so not to blame Khamir, but not either doing what he is planning right now by just obeying. Hadith will stay at the camp and defend it, if that comes about... I left a save for it to be filled, soon enough, I hope. But just for you to go on if you will go forwards...
Ooo! I look forward to it with much excitement! I'm sure Khamir could use someone 'backing him up,' or at least, keeping him from getting lynched. Plus, there needs to be someone better at speech-making than him in that crew.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:51 PM   #440
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Brinniel - I used Shae a little bit, so let me know if I handled her properly.
Looks all good to me.

I've added a bit of a twist. Shae has lost her brother's necklace- a devastating factor to her. But this necklace could be useful. Perhaps the slavers will find it, or maybe the orcs. If Shae lost it closer to her own camp, perhaps Khamir will find it and think something happened to her. I don't know. Anyone who wants to include this item in their post is welcome...

Folwren- When Shae reaches the camp, perhaps Athwen could take notice and tend to Shae's wounded hands. Now that her bandages are gone, the wounds and blood will be quite obvious.

Also, for all those whose characters I used, let me know if you disapprove of something.