Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2002, 12:45 AM   #1
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Wolf Run RPG

Gaddy Furbarrow walked along the worn road of Bree that lead to the Inn of the Prancing Pony. As he darted past the huge carts of the Big Folk, Gaddy looked down at the rolled up piece of paper that he held protectively in his hands. He had to delver this safely to the Prancing Pony. There, he would gather together some men and women, big and small, to join him on the mission that he had been assigned to by the mayor and the sheepraisers of Bree.

Suddenly the Inn of the Prancing Pony loomed over the hobbit. Walking into the warm inn, Gaddy was greeted by sound of singing and the smell of delicious food cooking. Gaddy walked over to the warm fire, the nights in Bree kept getting colder, though the days were still plenty warm, to warm his hands. In the inn were gathered an odd looking group. There were an assortment of hobbits, Big Folk, and even the occasional elf or dwarf.

Walking over to the Innkeeper, Gaddy talked to him alone for a moment, and explained his situation. The innkeeper gave Gaddy permission to tack his notice there and make his announcement. Going back into the noisy and stuffy room once again, Gaddy took a chair from one of the tables and dragged it to to the middle of the room. People began to notice the hobbit now, and all conversations ceased as the travelers gazed curiously over at him.

Gaddy then stood up on the chair, unrolled his paper and began to read, “It seems that a incredible stroke of luck has befallen our little town of Bree. As the harvest nears, the farmers have noticed that their crops are nearly double that of the previous years. This fantastic stroke of good fortune has also greatly affected another facet of life: sheep herding.”

“Due to our town’s remote location, Bree did not have the luxury of specializing their local economy like Lake Town or Dale. Instead of simply producing one product for trade, the men, hobbit, and the occasional dwarf have diversified into many areas. The inhabitants of Bree have been raising sheep since the founding of the town, using their wool for clothing and milk to make cheese. These wooly-coated animals generally spend most of the grazing in the hills around Bree, cared for and watched by a good number of shepherds. The town shelters a large number of corrals for these sheep inside the walls, guaranteeing them safety during the long nights. This past year, the output of wool has nearly tripled, and the corrals are overflowing with kids and yearlings.”

“But darker creatures are now lurking in the lonely lands surrounding Bree. A pack of Wargs has recently arrived in the area and has begun systematically raiding the flocks of sheep while they graze. At first, these casualties were merely passed off as normal attrition. The lands surrounding Bree had never been free of pests, and it was normal that a few sheep would be lost to the occasional bear or wolf. However, as the summer has now worn on, the mortality rate of the sheep has begun to skyrocket. Shepherds have told tales of an old wolf that would trick them into chasing him, and that when they return, they find their flock scattered and shattered. The mayor of Bree, Brand Orger, has decided that this can not continue. These attacks are seriously hurting the intake of wool, and the loss of several of the best breeders can not be accepted.”

After rolling up the notice, Gaddy looked around the room. Everyone was staring wonderingly at him. Gaddy smiled, so he had finall y gained their attention, and said, “My name is Gaddy Furbarrow and I am a sheepraiser from around these parts. I have been recruited by the mayor and the other sheepraisers of Bree to organize an expedition to stop these vicious wolves from attacking the sheep of Bree and to protect the sheep. I will need some strong and willing people to go with me. Come now before me if you think that you are up to this challenge. I will judge if you truly are.”

Gaddy stood straight on the chair looking quite fierce and big there with his hands on his hips and a wry, challenging grin on his face. Gazing around the room, Gaddy dared anyone to step forward to present his or her case to the hobbit.

---Galadel Vinorel
Old 12-06-2002, 01:22 AM   #2
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Ned Brandybuck looked up quickly when Gaddy mentioned adventure. He had been regaling his listeners with his (imagined) adventures in the Old Forest, but the story left his fertile brain as quickly as it had entered. "Well, come on then, what did you do next?" asked Tim Underhill, a hobbit lad who had been eagerly awaiting the end of the story. "Hmm? OH! Right... well, I, uh..." Ned scratched his head, trying to remember where he had left off, but it was no use. Gaddy's news had driven it clear out of his head. He struck a noble pose, which was only slightly marred by the flagon in his hand. "Tim, I regret to tell you that I'll be finishing my tale another day. For now, it seems my skills as an adventurer have been called upon. Fare thee well, my lad!" Tim was suitably impressed, and didn't even protest as Ned left the table.

He made it almost halfway over to Gaddy before second-guessing himself. After all, it was all very well to impress hobbit children round the fire, but this was a real adventure! Ned hoped he'd be accepted. I'd look right foolish, he thought to himself, If I didn't go through with it after that. And, thus bolstered, crossed the common room with a little swagger in his step to speak to Gaddy.

"Good sir!" His voice came out in a squeak. This certainly wasn't how it was supposed to go! He deepened his voice to what he hoped was a suitable gravity. "Ahem.. Excuse me sir, but I couldn't help but notice that you were looking for brave and hardy adventurers, for some dark and fearsome task...or...other..." He looked blank for a minute. "What was it again? Oh, yes, Warg hunting. Well, sir, I'll have you know that with this here axe," and here he held up for inspection a cunningly made little hatchet, that had probably started life splitting wood for the stove, "I've personally caught and killed over five wild beasts! Of ferocious cunning and wild disposition! Oh, yes," he said, mistaking the gleam in Gaddy's eye for one of interest or respect, "And, I'd be willing to come with you on your little adventure! Now, what do you say to that?" And he struck such a pose that little Tim Underhill leapt from his seat, squealing with delight and clapping at the brave sight.

"Not a chance," said Gaddy firmly. He turned to survey the room, hoping that some more likely candidate for the dirty and dangerous work would show himself. Ned deflated like a balloon. It was funny, you could actually see him grow smaller. "Um," he said, in a much more normal tone of voice, "Sir? I really would like to join... I can hunt, and fish, to some degree, and I'm the best in Buckland when it comes to throwing, be it axes or stones." He regained some of his lost grandeur at that last, but kept his voice humble as he finished, "I'm big and strong, and I can bag a coney from 20 paces, and I could pro'bly fetch even a wolf with it. Please?"
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-06-2002, 03:35 AM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Two figures, heavily cloaked entered the Prancing Pony; Fin, a solid but charming rogue and Celebmornie , his lady friend and resident nearby. They slid quickly into a pew to watch as Ned began his long, and obviously fraudulent story of ‘5 beasts’. Fin smiled and couldn’t help chuckling to himself when Gaddy refused him utterly.
The Hobbit, Ned, mumbled and tried for a second time, “and with a lot more truth! Fin thought to himself. Gaddy was still edging toward a ‘no’ when Fin stood and entered into the middle of the room.
“Come now good sir Furbarrow, surely you cannot turn away such capable help1” A low rumble of laughter crossed the room, during which Ned’s quick puff of the chest deflated further. “Larger numbers on a journey such as this would surely not hinder.”
“And what know you of this journey?” Gabby asked, hoping this strong man was interested.
“Well, good sir, I came with the idea of joining this little adventure, along with my friend Celeb, but,” and Fin’s voice turned to a sorrowful tone, “alas, if you are refusing such as Sir Brandybuck, then I have no chance. My only option is to leave again, unless you do decide to let him join. Then I may have a slim chance.”
Gaddy, silenced and unable to think, merely spoke on instinct, “you can both join.” There was no way he was letting this strong man slip through his grasp, and if Ned had to come, then maybe it wasn’t so bad.
“Excellent!” and with this shout Fin turned and made his way toward the bar. “An ale Celeb?” he asked questioningly.
She smiled and nodded.
As the ales were being poured Ned Brandybuck sidled deliberately slowly up to him.
“Ah, hello Ned!” Fin grinned at the hobbit.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:54 AM   #4
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Saved by the bell! Ned thought to himself. He couldn't have been more pleased if Gaddy had actually believed him the first time around. Ned wasn't really a liar, not in his heart, he just had what could be charitably referred to as a talent for exaggeration. Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, that was his motto. Besides, with these tall and obviously capable Big Folk around, he was much more likely to survive the adventure. He sidled over to the larger of the two, a rough and tumble looking rogue with a rascally sort of gleam in his eye. "Evening sir," he began, wishing very much that he were taller, or maybe standing on a stool or something. Why did these folks have to be so blessed TALL? "Ah, hello, Ned!" The big man grinned down at him, and Ned began to feel a little more at his ease. He started to regain some of his lost momentum. "Ah, yes. I thought I'd come over and cement what will obviously be a long, and fruitful partnership," He said, in what he thought of as his "hero voice." "Aha, ha. Even the grim Mr. Farbaring... or, Fourburrow... er, what was his name again? Ah, yes. Even the grim Mr. Furbarrow couldn't refuse TWO such heroes, eh? Brandybuck's the name, Ned Brandy... Oh. Wait, you knew that, didn't you...ummm, right. Oh, yes. Ahem. Might I inquire as to your name, sir?" During this speech, the ingenious little hobbit had contrived to pull a stool to him, by use of his feet, and, by the end of it, had actually managed to climb atop it, and ended by staring the bemused (and rather delighted) Findorfin in the face.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-06-2002, 05:56 AM   #5
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

“My name is Fin, good hobbit, and it looks like we’ll be travelling together for some time.” Fin stooped low, “I like the bold front but maybe when you’re with some of the other hobbits, you should do it less. They tend to be a bit stuffy about telling the truth. Personally, truth is what you make it.” The rogue winked at Ned, before picking up his two mugs of ale and moving away from the bar.
Ned smiled after the tall man, “he was going to be a friend, and a fun accomplice!”
Old 12-06-2002, 09:54 AM   #6
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Gimli the Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Bailin spoke once Gaddy had finnished the announcement, "Well you will need a good Dwarf in this expidition. I have had experience with Wargs before and they are very determened and stuborn. We will have a time getting rid of the vermin but with some luke will will teach them a lession they will never forget. My axe is with you Mr. Gaddy!"
Old 12-06-2002, 11:03 AM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elfred Thistle had been shepherding in the lands around Bree since he was nothing more than mere stripling, some 70 years gone. He knew every inch of this country, from the windblown heights of the Weather Hills clear to the edge of the Old Forest.

If there was a stray from the flock, or a bit of fine pasture, then Elfred would find it. So the fact that he was now looking for over twenty strays was a source of pain and worry in his heart. The strays were part of a flock over 200 which had been driven and scattered the night before by a pack of wolves.

No he thought, Not wolves, not by a long sight. For mere wolves would not have stolen a flock of over two hundred wethers and driven them off, canny as any shepherd and dog. A wolf pack would have singled out a couple of stragglers, and left the rest.

A good majority of the flock was found dead, with broken bones and throats ripped out. A small portion had been found huddled in a small dell some five miles from Bree, lame and torn, exhausted and trembling, barely able to make the trip back to the safety of the town, Indeed, a few had been so far gone that they had been slaughtered where they were found to put them out of their misery.

And twenty were still missing. And along with the twenty, Tig, Gaffer Heathertoes fine sheepdog, who had run off into the night, following the flock with which he had been charged. The loss of the flock was a disaster. The loss of Tig was a misery.

So Elfred continued on, as he had since first light, searching every beck and covert for any sign of the missing wethers. He was following no trail. That had petered out long ago. If was as if the flock had been lifted bodily from the earth into the skies.

Nop, Elfred's best friend and finest sheepdog, ranged ahead, searching for any hint of a scent in the poor, rocky soil of the Weather Hills. A massive, rocky outcrop stood before them, one of many that topped the rolling hills of the area, like a statue placed on a pedestal. Elfred was down on one knee, checking a bare patch for any hint of hoof or paw print, when suddenly he heard Nop give voice to a heart-rending whimper, a sound seldom to be heard from the brave little collie, even after being kicked by a cross ram.

"Nop, good sir, what's wrong?" said Elfred, stumping over to the dog. And it was then that he saw the blood, a sticky pool lying at the bottom of a rock outcropping.

Elfred's reluctant eyes followed the clotted track of red slowly up the cliff face to it end, some 12 feet above. And there he saw the head of Tig, eyes glazed in death, mouth frozen in a gaping tooth-baring snarl, as if he were still confronting the enemy that had slain him.

"Oh, Tig. Tig. How can I carry this news back to the Gaffer?" said Elfred with sadness and horror. Then with a sigh, he slung his crook over his shoulder by its leather loop, and started scrambling to the top of the rock. Nop paced worriedly back and forth at the base, whining all the while, then scouted his own path to the top.

And it was there that they found the rest of the herd. Or Elfred had to assume it was the herd. The only way he could know all twenty were here was by counting the heads. All twenty had been ripped from the bodies and arranged in a circle around the killing field. As for the bodies, there were none really. All that was left were clotted lumps of meat and wool, scattered over every inch of the top of the outcropping. Even in the cool of the coming evening, the smell of death was overwhelming. All the winds of Middle-earth could not wash it away.

Nop threw back his head and let loose with the most unearthly howl, as if calling on the gods of the canines to witness what had happened here. Elfred stood shaking, grasping his crook until the knuckles were as white as his face, while the winds of the Weather Hills dried the tears that streamed down his face.

Then pulling himself upright with a long-drawn breath, he turned and, calling Nop, headed back down the cliff as fast as he could, to carry the news of the disaster back to Bree.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-06-2002, 12:15 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hamfast Greenhand loved inns and loved them even more when something big was happening in them, and right under is nose! He had been well aware of the wargs, recently being at the Green Dragon when it was basicly attacked! It had certainly disrupted his drinking! Wargs were pests to be rid of.
"Hmmmm," Hamfast thought, "I could do with some excitement these days to keep my age from catching up with me!" he chuckled to himself, "and look! A hobbit has started this and there is another one who has just joined! There is no reason you should not be accepted Hamfast, if your brave enough!"
Hamfast's thoughts had until now been completely controlled by his Tookish side, but the other side of him, the Greenhand side was slipping through at this last question, "was he brave enough"
"No you're not Hamfast," his Greenhand side yelled at him, "you're nothing but a silly hobbit with silly ideas, you belong drinking ale all day in a merry old inn! Not out hunting wargs!"
But his Tookish side had always prevailed!
"I am too brave enough, and I am ment to kill wargs, the old Bullroaer Took killed the chief goblin in the battle of Greenfields, why not Hamfast Greenhand killing the chief warg, eh? And being the hero of Bree!"
That was enough for Hamfast! He stood up straight with resolve in his face, but he stopped.
"Look at that man! He's huge! Like I'd be the one to kill the chief warg! No way of that, he's definetly the one to put up against the cheif! Oh, Hamfast, what are you getting yourself into!"
These were his thoughts as Hamfast slowly strode over to Gaddy. "Strode"? More like slumped! His feet felt like lead and his legs were turned to mush. But there was something left in him, because he straightened up and told Gaddy, "I'd be interested in takin' part of this expedition. The name's Hamfast Greenhand at your service." He bowed to Gaddy and waited for a reply.
"Thankyou Hamfast," Gaddy said hospitably, "your services are welcomed on this expedition, Hamfast Greenhand, thankyou again for being brave enough to volunteer!" "Thankyou sir," replied Hamfast in a gruff voice. He went to speak with Ned Brandybuck thinking "Oh Hamfast! This is going to be a long set of days, what have you gotten yourself into!"

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-06-2002, 12:41 PM   #9
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Bailen listens to the reporst and says,"Well lets get to buisiness. How do you plan to do to get rid of these things? I suggest we split up into groups and go out and gaurd the boarders of the sheep fields by day and night watch."
Bailen raises his axe and asks, "Who is with me?"

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli the Dwarf ]
Old 12-06-2002, 12:54 PM   #10
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hamfast saw that Bailin was already making plans. Was he with him? "He sounds like he knows what he is doing, I think he might be a fine person to agree with on matters that are far past you Hamfast. Well, that are far past you currently, I guess I could get used to it," he thought and then immediatly said, "Sounds like a plan to me Bailin!" The dwarf didn't seem to be more sure it was.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-06-2002, 01:47 PM   #11
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Nariah Alderleaf listened with interest to the conversation from near a table in the corner. So at last someone was going to do something about the wargs...and all sorts had turned up she realised, gazing around. Her eyes caught that of a young man, smiling slightly. Flustered at having been caught evesdropping and not doing what she was meant to be, Nariah bent over the tabel again, arduously polishing it.

"Lady, I cant help noticing that you have been polishing that table for the past ten minutes." She looked up into the eyes of Fin. He turned back to the crowd around Gaddy. "And there is quite a lack of women...?"

Nariah bit her lip as she considered. She had dreamed of quests, met the elves, saved kings since she saw little, but the real thing...and Butterbur probably wouldnt be to happy about it either...

Making up her mind in a sudden moment, she put down the cloth she was holding and held up her hand, catching Gaddys attention. "Excuse me, sir hobbit, but I think I should like to join you." She felt eyes on her and tried desperately not to blush as she fiddled with her apron strings. "Please?"

Gaddy surveyed the slender young waitress with quite a bit of doubt. "Are you sure Nariah? Do you even know how to use a weapon?"

Well, at least thats one thing I can safely say. "I can use a bow with quite considerable aim, Mr Furbarrow."

"Aye that she can Mr Furbarrow. Shes got rid of many a troublesome scavenger around here." Nariah turned, surprised to hear Butterbur backing her up; she hadnt thought hed want to lose a waitress. He smiled at her and turned back to a customer. Gaddy inspected her for a moment more before nodding.

"Alright then Nariah. WE will be glad of your company."

She smiled gratefully and was about to reply when an elderly hobbit she recognised as Elred burst in breathlessly...

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 12-06-2002, 02:05 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Hamfast watched as the young waitress walked over to the group. "Oh," he thought "another of the big folk, looks like my chances of a hero are getting slim. But, becoming friends with these people could help me also, especially when I am in trouble with those nasty Sackville-Bagginses. Humph! They could do with a beatin' from a man...or woman of course."
Hamfast moved over to speak with the young lady, she seemed like a nice type. "Hallo, m'lady, welcome to this expedition, I am Hamfast Greenhand, a lover of tales and inns. We were just beginning to make plans, here. Who are you, may I ask?"
The woman's expression lightened and she replied in a cheery tone, "My name is Nariah Alderleaf, an excellent waitress and archer!"
"Welcome again, Nariah, a good archer is always excellent to have on any expedition!"
Hamfast couldn't believe what he was saying, he was talking about 'expeditions' as if he knew what he was doing! "Well," he thought, "I am now on a real, true expedition so I might as well act like I know what I am doing!"
He decided to continue his conversation with Nariah, "Well, what thoughts do you have archer Nariah? We need all the input we can get on a plan. Bailin has started one as you have most likely heard while washing the table over there," Hamfast gave a little chuckle and continued, "I have learned not to be shy about things or they will go very wrong for you! I'm sorry, I have just chatted on and on and haven't let you say a word besides your name! So sorry, m'lady, do you have an addition to our plan?"
Old 12-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #13
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Nariah smiled as the hobbit chattered on.

"... I'm sorry, I have just chatted on and on and haven't let you say a word besides your name! So sorry, m'lady, do you have an addition to our plan?"

m'lady?! Well thats a new one! She was being treated like she was important, not just a waitress! She thought for a moment before speaking.

"I agree and disagree in part with Gimli. It is a long term plan and I fear if small groups were caught unaware by the wargs, hunting in packs...well, not such a pretty sight. We need a few more people I think, and a few who can use bows-or throw axes." She added, smiling at Ned who beamed with pride. "I think we should have archers in the trees surrouding one side of the field. A few sheep should be put in front of here. The wargs would attack, archers can shoot a few arrows into the fray as they approach and the others on foot or horses (or ponies) would join from in front and behind."

What? Her brain caught up. She had made a plan! As Nariah caught up with this automatic planning system, she added. "Theoretically."
Old 12-06-2002, 02:31 PM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mid-day and the yellow face glared down on the high hills. At ease, in the shade of a rocky northern overhang, lay the new lords of this region, glutted with meat and tired from the night’s exertions. The wind from the northeast brought chill scents, down from the iron red halls of the wasteland, and they stirred in their dreamings.

Paws twitched and scrabbled against the rocky surface . . . running, running. . . pushing the prey before them. Low growls and the clacking of teeth as they nipped the heels and drove them on . . . then deeper, beastly dreamings of the kill . . .

A sudden breeze from the southwest brought faint scents of the far off river and smells of Men and Halflings. The older Warg roused and sniffed the scents, his nostrils widened as he drew the air in, tasting it on his tongue.

In time . . ., he thought, looking toward his two sleeping offspring, in time will the line of Carchoroth reclaim this land for the pack . . . for the hunt . . . He licked a dark red stain from his grey paw.

His head dropped down upon his crossed paws, yellow eyes shining forth from the darkness. On the wide, rocky ledge below him lay the lesser Wolves, stretched out on their sides, full bellies to the breeze.

His vassals. he mused, They would rest for several days, then hunt again . . .

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-06-2002, 02:50 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

"Wow," Hamfast thought, "that made a lot more sense, she is a smart one!"
"Hmmmm," began Hamfast, "I believe you're right Nariah, that would work pretty well I think. The only problem is, these wargs are smart, with a just a few sheep in an area where there may not usually be sheep, and the smell of horses and men and hobbits close by, I don't know if they would fall for it." Hamfast stopped, suprised, he had just found an intelligent problem in the woman's plan! He was overjoyed and continued,
"I believe we should speak to Findorfin on this matter, he seems like the type who is experienced in these matters."
Hamfast strolled over to Findorfin, he could not believe he was going to talk to this man who seemed to be four times the size of himself, but he had done well so far so he grabbed the stool Ned had used, hopped onto it and continued on,
"Findorfin, sir," Hamfast paused, he wasn't sure if he should have called him 'sir', but it was too late now, "Nariah and I would just talking about a plan of action..." Hamfast told Findorfin of their conversation then asked, "We need your opinion, what would you say?"
Old 12-06-2002, 03:08 PM   #16
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Pipe

Autumn Gamwich watched as some of the Big and Little Folk stepped up to ask Gaddy if they could go on the mission, quest, thing with him. The hobbit lass smiled to herself as Gaddy refused to take along Hamfast. Though Gaddy was a very stubborn and big hobbit, he was a real softy when you got to know him.

The hobbit lass stood up after a young woman had been accepted by Gaddy to go on the quest. Autumn turned to Gaddy and said, "Gaddy, I can shoot a bow and weild a knife, and I know a bit about sheep raising, after staying on my uncle's farm for the past few weeks, so may I go along?"

Gaddy looked down at the hobbit lass. He wondered if she could handle the harsh conditions that the people on the quest would be facing. Then he thought of when he had seen her defending her uncle's sheep once from a couple of wolves. Making up his mind, Gaddy nodded, and said, smiling, "We would be happy to have you with us, Autumnal."

Autumn fronned at Gaddy. She hated when he called her that. "You know perfectly well, Gaddy Furbarrow," said the young hobbit lass angrly, with her hands on her hips, "that my name is Autumn Gamwich. So, don't be callin' me Autumnal."

Everyone in the room, especially Hamfast, stared at Autumn in shock. They couldn't believe that the hobbit lass had just spoken to Gaddy like that. Gaddy just grinned at Autumn, and said, "Sorry, Autumn." Autumn grinnned back,

Gaddy Furbarrow turned to the rest of the group who had volunteered to go with him. "I would like everyone who has so far volunteered to go with me, to pack some clothes and provisions, and meet me here, at the Prancing Pony, tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will hand out weapons to everyone, so you don't need to worry about bringing any. So, for tonight, enjoy yourselves, but remember that we will leave at nine a.m. tomorrow, whether or not we have everyone with us. Make sure that you all have enough rest, and, don't forget, this is no hobbit walking party. This is serious bussiness."

Gaddy stepped down from his chair and walked over to the innkeeper and ordered some food and a room for the night. Then hobbit sat down at a table by himself to await his food. Auutmn joined him a bit later, after ordering some food for herself. Two hobbits sat together at their table, talking about their journey, which would begin the next day.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 12-07-2002, 12:17 AM   #17
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Elfred squinted as his eyes began to adjust to the comfortable gloom of the Prancing Pony. Normally the noisy, smokey ale-house would have delighted him, but not tonight. He had walked too far, with too heavy a burden on his heart, to be cheered by the familar faces at the Pony.

Even Nop, who would normally have trotted off to the kitchen to eat his fill of scraps and get his ears scratched by the kitchen maids, could not be cheered tonight. He crouched, silent and sad, at his master's feet, with his head resting on his paws.

But the crowd tonight at the Pony seemed to buzzing with some undetermined purpose. Elfred could hear the words, "wargs", "wolves", "weapons", and "adventures" flying through the air, and most of people at the inn seemed to be involved in deep discussions, (and a few outright arguments), about any and all of these subjects. Something had been decided, apparently, but as yet Elfred had no idea what.

He spotted the quiet, friendly face of Nariah clearing a table, and flashed a sad, tired smile at her greeting. "Would ye kindly fetch some hot, mulled wine for these old bones, dearie. And can ye tell me if Master Furbarrow is in the Pony tonight?"

Nariah smiled back and pointed towards a table to the rear, then went to fetch Elfred his wine. The Hobbit then wove his way through the crowd, avoiding the knees and elbows of the Big Folk through long practice. Finally he stood before Gaddy Furbarrow, and tipped his hat in a respectful manner to the sheepraiser, as befitted a Hobbit who owned such vast flocks. Or rather, used to own such vast flocks.

"Master Furbarrow, sir, I searched the hills this entire day, and I found them. That is, I found what was left of them. Out of the entire flock of 200 odd, I'm afraid to tell ye that there be only fifteen left. Those last missing twenty were all slain, as well as Gaffer Heathertoes Tig. I'm that sorry to have to tell ye."

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-07-2002, 12:55 AM   #18
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Ned was bored. Admittedly, he spent a lot of time in that state, but that was no excuse. Since Fin had wandered off, he'd sat in a corner, and watched the procession of would-be heroes approach Gaddy and be welcomed to the expedition. He was glad to see that some in the group, namely a young dwarf, Ned thought he had heard the name Bailin, but couldn't be sure, and the waitress Nariah, along with a cheerful looking hobbit and Fin, had started to come up with some plans for the actual adventure.

Ned was just going to join them, when he noticed the old shepherd, Elfred, enter the Prancing Pony. He looked awful. There were some discolored stains on his hands and clothes and he looked as if his old granddam had just died. Even his sheepdog looked depressed. Ned looked interestedly at the stains for a moment. "Dark. I wonder if-" then he broke off, with a shudder. The first seeds of doubt entered his mind. This is no place for me, he thought to himself, This is a job for Fin, and Gaddy. I'm just going to be a nuisance.

He dragged himself over towards Gaddy, in time to hear Elfred's closing words. "...all slain, as well as Gaffer Heathertoes Tig. I'm that sorry to have to tell ye." He shuddered again. He knew very well what this meant. Normal wolves wouldn't kill a whole flock of sheep, and certainly not a dog as vicious as Tig. He considered for a moment that his opinion of Tig might be a little harsh, as his only experience with the dog was when old Heathertoes had set the creature on him, for tresspassing and using his sheep for target practice, but the thought was lost on him.

He returned to the matter at hand. "Wargs!" He thought to himself, excited now, "I'm going to be fighting Wargs!" All fears vanished. Immediately, he was in his own world, a world where he dispatched a dozen Wargs with one swing of his axe, and single-handedly saved the rest of the group from sure destruction. He imagined pretty Autumn throwing her arms around him and kissing his cheek, tall Findorfin and Celebmornie asking humbly if he would deign to accompany them on thier next adventure, Gaddy looking at him as an equal! No sir, you couldn't pay me to stay behind now! He thought triumphantly.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:25 AM   #19
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin mused for a second before replying.
"The plan is good, as far as it goes! But we musn't be rushing into it. Capturing and slaying is the final piece in the hunt. Firstly we must gather together all the information we have on them. Their rough areas of concentration, their attack methods, etc. Another problem we face is that they can smell us! We need to make sure that we are downwind of them when we finally do set the trap. And of course for that we need to know where they are coming from. We need to get into their mind!"
Fin finished and looked at the amazed Hobbit, Hamfast.
"I didn't know it would be so complicated, sir."
"Ah, it takes cunning and planing to capture your prey. Strength is not everything and even a Giant, strong as he is, could not catch a mouse, even if his life depended on it."
"Proverbs now is it Fin," Celeb chuckled at her male friend.
"My lady, your man is clever beyond us mere hobbits," Hamfast said in an awed voice.
"Celeb's Man friend?" thought Fin, "I like that!"
"Thank you sir for your advice," Hamfast said, backing away.
"A pleasure, my good Hamfast, and please...call me Fin."

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 12-07-2002, 11:15 AM   #20
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Anuionin heard what Gaddy had to say and his blood boiled.

For 30 years now, he lived in Bree and was pleased with the wool they delivered. He whore chainmail and because that was quite heavy it was good to have some light and warm clothes.

He heard Bailin speak and right afther him he spoke with a raised voice troughout the inn:"I buy your wool clothes for good price and great plesure. Those wargs have no rigt's at all and by taking those sheep they have made me there enemy!. I wish to join the expedition Gaddy, and split some warg and wolven skull to repay them for stealing.

Gaddy smiled and sayd:"Yes master Dwarf it is good to have a good warrior with strength on our hands. I accept your offer.

Satisfied Anuionin returned his bottom in his seat."Ill show those rats of wargs not to mess with the village of Bree"He sayd to himself.

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
Vaporizer

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #21
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb smiles at Fin.
"Why are you being so helpful all of a sudden?" She laughs at the look on his face.
"My lady I am allways helpful!" He answers her looking thoughtful.
"I just thought that I would ask what this whole helping the Hobbits thing was about! Usually you just ignore anything that cant look you in the eyes!" She says joking. He looks hurt.
"I am not like that!" She smiles.
"I was making a joke! Not to be taken sereously! Just for fun!" She smiles and hugs him.
"I need another ale! You?" He nodds and she makes her way over to the bar.

Celebmornie
Old 12-07-2002, 11:40 AM   #22
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Pipe

Autumn Gamwich watched as her friend, Elfred entered the inn. As he approached her table, where the hobbit lasssat with Gaddy, Autumn stared hard into the hobbit's face. He looked very pale, and it looked as if he had been crying. She knew what was to come, and so Autumn closed her eyes in fear.

Elfred came up to the table and told Gaddy the terrible news. Autumn knew it. Opening her eyes, the hobbit lass turned to Gaddy, trying not to cry. Those sheep had been Gaddy's life, and now they were all gone. Looking into Gaddy's face, the hobbit lass saw a great pain there, but also a strong determination. 'He has made up his mind on what to do,' thought Autumn, 'Good. But, I'm sorry that it had to come about this way.' "I'm sorry, Gaddy," said Autumn. Her heart felt very heavy, like it was about to burst.

Gaddy turned towards the young hobbit and smiled painfully at her. "It's allright, Autumn. I had already given up all hope that they were alive. Now I know what we must do." Gaddy Furbarrow turned to Elfred, "Elfred will you come along on our expedition to kill the wargs who have been attacking the sheep of Bree? We could use you. I would like you to show us where the sheep are tomorrow, and then we will tracks the wargs from there. That is our plan, for now. Will you join us, Elfred?"
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 12-07-2002, 01:38 PM   #23
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Nariah smiled back at the old hobbit as he came in, nodding to a table and going to fetch him some mulled wine. She knew him well, and was surprised; she had never known Elfred to look so shaken up.

She put the mug in front of Elfred to hear the last sentence. Tig was dead? And 200 sheep! She had read about wargs, but now... This was his liveliehood. Gone.

She bit her lip as she put an arm around him and was even more shocked when the tough old hobbit didnt shrug her off. She looked up as Gaddy spoke. "Elfred, will you come along on our expedition to kill the wargs who have been attacking the sheep of Bree? We could use you. I would like you to show us where the sheep are tomorrow, and then we will tracks the wargs from there. That is our plan, for now. Will you join us, Elfred?"

Elfred stared at him for a moment then gritted his teeth firmly. A small grim smile spread across his lips. "Aye lad. That I will."
Old 12-07-2002, 03:28 PM   #24
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Eye

Gimli saw Gaddy and asked, "Well shall we do this or do you have a better plan?"
Old 12-07-2002, 08:06 PM   #25
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Aye, that I will, Master Furbarrow". He smiled up at Nariah as she set the wine in front of him and hovered in the background, hoping to catch more of the tale. Though the young bar maid towered above the old shepherd, still Miss Nariah had always reminded Elfred of his own daughter, married now and living far off in Michel Delving.

He wondered why the pretty Man-child had never married herself, but then, what of these rough Breeland farm lads would be good enough for her?

Then he noticed that young Autumn Gamwich was looking at Gaddy with tears in her eyes. This attack could well-nigh ruin the good gentlehobbit. And who knew when the next attack might happen?

"There now, lass," he said, patting her hand, "fortunes are gained, and lost, and gained again. And a fine flock has been built up from less than fifteen sheep before." He didn't mention that many of the survivors had miscarried from being run so hard during the attack. There would be twelve fewer lambs next spring.

"I'm that glad that something is going to be done about this, Master Gaddy, and done soon." Elfred took a grateful pull from the hot wine, and continued. "There are some fine lads here, more than willing to back you and put an end to this evil. But I have to wonder if they know just how great an evil they will be facing. These are no mere wolves, to be harried by dogs and shot down with a few well-placed arrows. These are Wargs, from the heart of the Darkness itself. There is a will and a mind behind these attacks. And an evil that does not sleep."

"And I also have to wonder, Master Furbarrow," and here Elfred leaned forward and whispered in Gaddy's ear, hoping that the women-folk would not hear him. "I have to wonder: how long will these devils be satisfied with just killing sheep?"

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-08-2002, 03:11 AM   #26
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Anuionin went over to Fin and his Hobbit companian.
"About that plan of yours"he sayd"if we would all dress in the wool of the flock and then hide in ditches, That would take the smell of right?
Or maybe if we hide ourselfs on Talan's and wait for those rat's to attack the flock, we could quickly slide out of the trees and suround those wargs. What do you say about that?"he asked.
Then he nodded to Fin and quickly added"Afther we investegated their line of movement and attack style ofcaurse"

________
Vaporizer reviews

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:46 AM   #27
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

"...I have to wonder: how long will these devils be satisfied with just killing sheep?"
Ned came out of his dream world with a thump. That wasn't the way the story was supposed to go. Threaten, yes. Bully, maybe. Otherwise he couldn't save the group, and that just HAD to happen. But actually kill? None of the books Ned had read ever dealt with that sort of thing. He began to formulate plans in his fertile little mind.

Maybe they could all hide in one tree, then, have the wizard throw fireballs down at the Wargs. That was the approved way of doing things, Ned had it from the best of sources. Of course, he didn't have a wizard. That was most inappropriate. He frowned. Maybe they should let the sheep be captured, then follow them to their lair, and run around singing songs and poking at them. Did Wargs take prisoners? Ned couldn't remember, but if they did, he was willing to bet that they weren't of the sheep kind. He wondered how many Wargs there were. He ran briefly through some other schemes he'd read somewhere, but none of them seemed to fit. He heaved a sigh. He guessed he'd just have to think of something new.

He heard Fin and company over by the door, talking about hiding in the trees, or maybe hiding in sheeps wool, and using the sheep as bait. This last appealed to his sense of romance, but a clear thought somehow penetrated the customary haze around his brain. "I don't think we can afford to lose any more sheep," he piped up. Everyone looked around, to see who had joined, and were mildly surprised to see Ned, looking a bit nervous and flustered. "Um, what I mean to say is, if these Wargs can carry off over a hundred and fifty sheep at one meal, well then, there's either a whole lot of them, and they'll just spring any trap we set, and laugh at any attempt we make to stop 'em, or they're really full, and they won't feel any need to attack again. They can wait for us to get bored, or start setting picket watches before coming back. We can't stay awake all night every night for the rest of the summer." It was amazing. Ned watched as his tongue, utterly independent of any controlling impulse, blithely spewed out problems with the plans that the others had concocted. "I think," he concluded, as the others looked on in amazement, "that we need to search these creatures out. Track them down, and don't give them a chance to attack again. Bree can't afford another disaster like this." He realized what he just said. His knees began to shake. "Or... not..." He trailed off lamely.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:10 AM   #28
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

While erveryone was stunned by the clevar words of Ned, Anuionin jumped of the chair he was standing on.

"My my, you have a clevar brain"He sayd."But if we are to track down these Warg's we should need a ranger or someone with a lot of experience and where are we going to find someone like that?"

"Altough I do like the idea of hunting them down to there hole and destroy evrey last breed of those rats"he continued.

In his green eyes a bright fire started to burn his he grabed the two-handed axe from his leather belt and yelled with a loud voice:"The firsth Warg we encounter will leave our company with a splitted skull!"

Ned toke a step back as he saw this Dwarf standing ready to strike the firsth living creature he would not like. But Anuionin lowerd the axe and sayd:"Do not fear me Ned for it is Warg's for witch this blade is ment to hit and not Hobbit skull.

Anuionin returned to Fin and sat down at the bar."Another pint Botterburr and give my brave expedition friends one aswell. My treat for you sturdy adventurers" He loudly sayd."Oh and while you are doing that poor one for the rest of the pony and take one yourself" The pony yelled and thanked Anuionin. "hahahaha you have found the perfect non failure method to make friends little dwarf." Butterburr sayd. Anuionin smiled trough his brown beard and drank his pint.

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]

________
Ac schnitzer

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:26 PM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Dűręl watched as her brother sat on the edge of the rocky outcropping, his muzzle lifted to the late evening breezes, taking in the rich scents from the south. Carchmoroth had sent them to gather information and they had moved closer in toward the land infested by Men, listening and looking and smelling out the news. Dúgoroth turned his head toward her, motioning her to come sit beside him. ‘The wind carries promise of another large group of four-leggeds.’ he said, smiling wolvishly at her.

‘Sheep.’ she said, rising languidly to stretch. She trotted slowly over to him, and sat down, her shoulder touching his. ‘That is what they are called.’ She sniffed the air, her eyes narrowing. ‘There are more than the scents of sheep, brother. They have put more dogs among them, and more men.’ They sat, drinking in the information that the wind brought them. The scents grew fainter as the shepherds moved their flocks back towards the large, fenced village for the night. The two watched the sun sink low and drop behind the hills. On silent feet they raced back to their pack’s lair.

‘Sheep – so that is how they are named.’ mused Dúgoroth, turning the name over in his mind as they sped along. ‘Four-legged . . . two-legged . . . they are all good hunting.’

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-08-2002, 07:23 PM   #30
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

There was a lot more wrong with their plan than Hamfast had realized, this was going to be a trick! He was glad to see that Ned's brain was working, a young hobbit's common sense can come in handy. Hamfast suddenly jumped. All in one day he had spoken with men, a dwarf, and as if he knew what he was doing. And, on top of that, he had been asked to call a giant man by a more familiar name! Hamfast was overjoyed with himself. But his mind jumped on him again, he thought again of the situation. The plan wasn't looking too good. It needed a lot of work. Hamfast mind was drawing a blank, and they were running out of time.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:55 PM   #31
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb looks around as she waits for the two ales.
"When do we leave?"
She yells above the crowd and grabbs the ales. She takes them over to the table and sits down.
"What you guys been talking about while I was gone?"

Celebmornie
Old 12-09-2002, 07:18 PM   #32
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Eye

Bailen asks for an ale and says, "I think that We should not be separated but should do like a border controle encercling the boaders of the outermost fields. We should have a lot of people with long range weapons. Let the Wargs come and kill them when they attack."
The server girl delivers him his ale and he sips it. He loves the foumtast. Bailin again looks at the hobbits and men arguing over his last statment. A stray hobbit sits down the seat infront of him.
He says, "So you know a lot about fighting orcs?"
Bailen replies gruffly, "I know a lot about them from previous experiences yes."
Old 12-10-2002, 09:04 AM   #33
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"I think Bailin has a point. We don't know how many warg's we are facing so it would be best that we have a lot of warrior's with us that are long ranged." Anuionin sayd.

"But," he continued "we should not overdo it either. We must devide our group in ranged and melee warrior's so that we can plan ahead for our own action's in combat, and also plan a little strategy for as mutch as possible"

He sayd down next to the dwarf and ordered another ale."Ah well, but that's just my idea" He added.

________
Ferrari Challenge History

Old 12-10-2002, 02:33 PM   #34
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Pipe

Autumn listened to all the ideas that people were suggesting. Looking over at Gaddy, she wondered what the hobbit was thinking, as he sat there with a grave expression on his face, watching the other members of their expedition. "So, Gaddy, what do you think of all these ideas everyone seems to be having? I like Ned's idea about hidding in a tree myself. I don't think, though that we need to have a ton of big warriors on this mission, thing. I think that the people that we have so far are okay to attack the wargs. What do you think, Gaddy? Autumn asked, looking at the hobbit next to her intently.

Gaddy turned to look at Autumn. Gazing down at the younger hobbit, Gaddy smiled. "No, Autumn, I do not think that we need a lot of people to carry out our mission. I think that our group will do all right. I will think over Ned's idea. It's an alright idea; it just needs some polishing up, that's all." Gaddy suddenly laughed and said, "Autumn, why don't you go talk talk to the other members of this expedition, and stop hanging around this old hobbit?"

Autumn stared at Gaddy and then her face relaxed into a grin. Excusing herself Auutmn walked over to where Ned was sitting with some of the other travelers and introduced herself. "Hi, I'm Autun Gamwich. May I join your table?"

Ned nodded and pulled out a chair for her, and Auutmn sat down. Turning to Ned, the female hobbit said, "I liked your idea of climbing in a tree to shoot the wargs. How did you think that up, Ned?'
Old 12-10-2002, 05:46 PM   #35
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

A candle lit up in Hamfast's head(hehe,sorry), he knew the wargs were smart and cunning, but they had most likely grown cocky with the luck that they had been having. They had killed so many sheep and put the people of Bree in panic, he was sure they were very proud of themselves. This might be easier than he thought, although wargs are smart, he knew that when someone gains power over another, they are certain that they are better than them and do not worry about being wrong. Hamfast stopped his thoughts, he wasn't making any progress with the plan, only reassuring that there was more of a chance it could work. "Oh well," he thought, "here I go." Hamfast began to speak his mind,

"Fellow travelers, I believe we are coming closer and closer to a refined plan, which will have more of a chance of working. I have had doubts of hiding in trees working because of wargs' intelligence, but, I have recently thought of the possibility of them becoming cocky. They have had much sucess, which might cause them to be careless when the hunt. For example, not checking the air for the smell of archers in the trees and hobbits in the bushes. Hopefully, the wargs view the people of Bree as weak because of how many sheep they have been able to kill, so they will not expect any resistance. We must keep our hopes up then, and put our heads together. I believe one large table is in order! The seperation of conversations is causing confusion, I believe, and we need to begin to put the ideas together into one plan."

Hamfast was suprised at himself and happy with himself, almost taking charge and actually say all of that aloud! He hoped no one was offended by this, he only wished that this expedition could go as smoothly as possible!

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-10-2002, 10:51 PM   #36
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

"Hi, I'm Autumn Gamwich. May I join your table?"
Ned was petrified. Somehow, he managed to pull out a chair for her, and nodded about forty or fifty times with a ridiculous expression on his face. "I liked your idea of climbing in a tree to shoot the wargs. How did you think that up, Ned?" She flashed a smile, and Ned was so stupified it took most of 30 seconds for her words to penetrate.

"Oh!" His face spontaneously combusted. With the part of his brain that was still working, he wondered if he was actually going to die, or if it just felt that way. "I, uh..." Pull it together Ned, he thought to himself "Er, um... that is to say..." He stuttered furiously. Mr. Bilbo! His mind screamed at him, from Mr. Bilbo's stories! His tongue tied itself in a very complex knot. His body in open rebellion, his mind frantically trying to reassert control, he completely missed Hamfast's speech. Coincidentally, though, just as Autumn had turned away, and Hamfast wound down, he blurted out "Staggins Frilbo borryies!" Autumn looked at him pityingly. "I mean, Bilbo Baggins' stories!" Everyone turned to stare at him.

If he thought he was going to die before, now he was sure of it. His face turned the color of a prize tomato, and he shrunk down in his seat. In a very small voice, he said "I got the idea from old Mr. Bilbo. That's how he escaped from the Wargs, on his way to the Lonely Mountain. Thanks for the compliment, Miss Autumn." He buried his face in a mug of beer that someone had left unattended, and waited for the world to end.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Garen LiLorian ]
Old 12-11-2002, 07:24 PM   #37
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Bailen looked over at Gaddy listening at the far end of the room to the ideas of the other people. people. He thought, "It must be hard to decide on an idea but he must decide soon because it is getting late and the sooner we get out there to gaurding their fields the better."
Bailen stood up and got everyon's attention he said rather cheerfully, "Well, We are not going to get anywhere just listing ideas we should get the most popular ideas and put them to vote and go out tomarrow and solve this delema we are in.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:26 AM   #38
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Anuionin heard Bailin talk and was happy with the idea. But then he realized: How on Middle-Earth can we vote on plans that are doomed to fail, because they are incomplete?

He walked over to the Dwarf and spoke his mind."My fellow dwarf,"he started",it would be easy to vote on a plan, but we simply don't have one that works. We must firsth come up with a good plan, because if we do not then we will find ourself in a field surrounded by blood-thirsthy wargs sooner or later. So we will need a full proof plan if we don't want to get ourselfs killed."

Bailin looked at Anuionin for a while. The whole inn was silent and waited for Bailin to reply. Bailin broke the silence and sayd:"hmm you got a point. We will need to stick out heads together and think up a plan that will be so smart and cunning that we will surprise those wargs for shure.

The company liked Bailin's idea and they all toke place on a large table. The meeting was under the comand of Gaddy Furbarrow since he was leading this expedition. Then the inn returned to mumbling and conversation as the group started brainstorming.

________
Herbal Vaporizer

Old 12-12-2002, 02:53 PM   #39
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Pipe

Autumn sat thinking at one of the largest tables in the Inn of the Prancing Pony. Around the table was gathered all the members of the expedition. No one was talking, for everyone was thinking up plans for attacking the wargs, and the young hobbit wondered if she could say soemthing. Auutmn looked timidly around the table, and then gained her courage to speak.

"I'm not sure an exact course of action that we should take," Autumn began nervously, then she began to talk faster as she began to gain courage, "but, I do not think that we should have a huge group to attack the wargs. The usual number of wargs in a pack, at least that I have seen, is, at the most, twenty. Maybe we should just track them, and then devise a trap in which to catch them and kill them. We could use something as bait and lure them to an area, and then attack them with arrows from hiding places, and some people could charge at them with their sword and knifes. One issue that I would certainly like to discuss during this meeting is weapons. I don't know about anyone else, but, though I have my own knfe, I don't have a bow or arrows, which I think that I will need for this expedition."

Gaddy perked up his ears when Autumn began to talk. He was glad that the young hobbit had finally gained the courage to talk. She had some good ideas, though they did need a little polishing up.

When Gaddy heard Autumn mention about swords he turned and began to speak, "Weapons have already been ordered for the members of this expedition by the mayor. They are waiting for us at the Town Hall of Bree. I was going to send someone to go get them. Would you like to go, Autumn? Here, give this to the man at the front desk, and say that you were sent by me."

Gaddy handed a piece of paper to Autumn, and then said, smiling broadly, "Take Ned with you. You two can carry the weapons back here to the inn. I'll talk to you both later about what we decided at this meeting. Now go, you two, before I shove you out the door!"

Autumn and Ned quickly hurried to the front door, grabbing their cloaks on the way out. They rushed out the door, and down the street in the direction of the Town Hall. Once they were a little ways from the Inn, they slowed their pace down a bit, and breathed in the refreshing night air of Bree.

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
Old 12-12-2002, 03:05 PM   #40
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As Autumn and Ned left the Pony Anuionin was still thinking. He had heard what she said, but found some errors. While cursing his pessimistic mind he sayd:"Well we can trap the warg's but what should we use as bate? It can't be sheep cause there are a lot of them in Bree and they take out whole flocks. So what do you suggest?

I suggest a person. One guard. We will send him along with the sheep and dig a large trensh around him so he won't get hurt. Then when the wargs attack. We will attack them. Archers in the trees and the warior's aswell. But the warrior's will hide on lower talan's, so that when those rat's attack they can get out quickly. How about that?

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
Yamaha yz450f specifications