User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #161
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

A sharp pain woke Burzdol. He sat straight up and looked around. The elf turned and saw Hatalas in the bed beside him. Then he looked to find a beautiful elf maiden applying a strang medicine to his wounds. The elf cried out in pain as the stinging liquid hit his open wounds.

"I see you're awake now," Ani Dao said as she walked into the room.

"Yeah, but if this woman doean't stop, I'll probably be back asleep," he replied.

"That's the point," Ani Dao said jokingly.

"Oh, thanks. I'll remember that when you get wounded. So, where are we any way?"

"Rivendell. Where else do you think has this type of beauty?"

"Beats me."

"Are you going to come with me or sleep for a thousand more years?"

"Hard choice. This bed is really relaxing. And it would be nice to sleep for a thousand years," Ani Dao walked out, "Just kidding. I'm coming." He said as he ran to catch up with the elf maiden.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #162
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Belegond walked through Rivendell in awe. It was quite beautiful. That was to put it lightly. It was full of love and sadness; he had never seen a place as such. Save for Lothlorien. Mirkwood and Ithilien were also beautiful, but here it was so much so that it was indescribable. It was now almost deserted, how he would have loved to come her in times when the elves played, lived and learned freely upon the land. He had heard it was a great place of wisdom and the gracious Lord Elrond gave refuge to those with good hearts. That would have been an experience. And it saddened Belegond’s heart to know that this realm would soon diminish and be forgotten in time, like so many other things of beauty.

He stood for a while beside a waterfall while he collected his thoughts. The water ran fluently to the small river by his feet and continued past and elvenhome. The water was clear, perfect. He sat down on the cool, lush green grass and ran his hand through the water. It was cold, but refreshing to touch. He then lay back and sighed. Above him clouds past him by and the sun rose high in the sky, time seemed to stand still. Everything was silent, all but for the water, it was so peaceful and calming. He closed his eyes and thought of the journey.

Erebor, they were half way there. But the worst was still to come, he was sure of this. Caradhras would be no easy task, and then there was actually defending Erebor. Kili seemed to be okay; well at least Belegond hoped he was ok. He should be. And then once again Belegond thought of Yanithe. He had not really talked to her since the Prancing Pony and was for some reason eager to speak to her again. He was sure that she would be fine, for she was headstrong and brave. But she was always in his thoughts, and this troubled him. He often wondered why, surely he could not love her! That was absurd! He hardly knew her and yet he doubted himself.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 03-15-2003, 05:24 PM   #163
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Eruantalon was happy that he and Kili seemed to be capable of making a meal together, despite the orginal uncomfort. Our group must learn to work with one another willingly in areas outside of war.

He asked Kili if he wanted a little help with the deer, and the dwarf politely declined the offer. The man walked back over to the fire, put up his legs and lit his pipe. As he casually blew puffy white rings into the air, he heard a comment from Bali that turned his attention away from his pleasent relaxation.

Quote:
"Where is Yanithe?"
Old 03-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #164
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Frodess's Post

Few had paid attention to Yanithë; how could they, if they were so occupied? But she understood. She grew weary in between the orc fights and rests. In a way, she dreaded the coming to Rivendell. She knew not why, but she did. And so she rode her horse quietly away from the group.

Muffled were the thuds of her horse's hooves on the soft grass. Onward Yanithë rode, closing her eyes and leaning against her steed's mane. To often had she thought of Him, her love from Rohan. It could not be helped, for Belegond had stirred up memories that should have stayed put.

The horse came to a sudden stop. Opening her eyes, Yanithë gazed at a small stream in a clearing in the forest. And there He was, filling up his leathern canteen,

"Is it really you?"

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 03-16-2003, 08:20 PM   #165
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali had looked around the camp with the others, and had scanned the road nearby for tracks. Nowhere was there a sign of Yanithe.
Swiftly, Bali organized the company into several search parties.

"She must have left before we reached the camp. We will have to look for her in the woods. Durin, you go with your father and Gromfelt; Erulon, you and Kili look together. Astarielle, come with me. Hogar, stay at the camp with Sarello."

The group split up, looking throughout the woods for a clue to Yanithe's disappearance...
Old 03-16-2003, 08:53 PM   #166
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Burzdol followed Ani Dao to a beautiful outcrop. A small table sat near a marble railing. Large water falls flowed underneath the pair. Burzdol stopped in awe to look once again upon Rivendell's pride.

"You coming to sit down?" Ani Dao asked as she sat down.

"Yes. So, what's on the menu today? After all that medicine sucked all of my energy away, I'm hungry."

The two ate a small feast, then went there seperate ways. Ani Dao said something about seeing a friend here. Fine for me, he thought. The elf walked through familiar hallways to his favorite spot, where the shards of Narsil had been kept. Though now it was bare. Lord Aragorn had used it in the War of the Ring. An approaching figure startled the elf.

"Are you Burzdol?" a maiden asked.

"Yes," he said turning, "What about it?"

"You are to come with me. I am ordered get you a change of clothing. Come with me please."

The elf strode off, following the elf.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #167
Hathalas Ashen-Shield
Pile O'Bones

Hathalas Ashen-Shield has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hathalas woke silently and reluctantly to find an elf healer he had known for quite some time applying a strong smelling cream to his bandaged back. The bed beside him had appeared to be used. "Burzdol must already be enjoying the pleasures and beauties of Rivendell" he thought. Hathalas sighed and asked some questions and talked to the healer for some time, asking about the rest of his company and how they were. Then the maiden left and let his mind wander, wondering how Bali and the rest of the company were doing, and how he could repay the group for saving his life.

It still appeared clouded in mystery before him. Where were they headed, and why? Why do dwarves, elves, men and a hobbit travel together, despite their immense differences. Why did it seem danger followed them wherever they go? The pondering made Hathalas' head hurt, and sleep overtook him once again and he relaxed on the soft feather beds of Imladris. In his dreams he saw an eagle, a large, golden eagle, soaring across dark skies, wind trailing behind it, following it wherever it went, as if the eagle was bent on leading it to some destination. Ahead, a tall, threatening mountain, whose top was imbeaded in dark clouds, blankets of snow amidst it. The strong wind battering against its hard stone, no visible tree, bird or blade of grass in sight. The eagle landed on the mountain, and turned into a proud deer, wind still trailing behind it. The deer climbed one of the passes of the mountain, when suddenly, a dark pit loomed out behind the deer, and the wind turned to water, and it fell into the dark nothingless below. Then Hathalas awoke and thought for a good hour or two about the curious dream…
Old 03-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #168
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali and Astarielle had found little in the forest. They prudently decided to stop and think rather than blindly comb the forest, wasting valuable time which could be rapidly disappearing. They discussed the last sighting of Yanithe before she had gotten lost; which they presumed (and hoped) was what had happened to her.

"I last saw her when we were coming along the path, not far from the camp," stated Astarielle. "She was on horseback."

"Well, she could not be far, than. But what truly troubles me is the fact that nothing happened. As far as I can tell, she did not get lost, she left. For what purpose I cannot tell, but It seems clear that she left on her own will."

"Then let us check the road. Perhaps a clue will be found there that can shed light on this mystery; to often is our judgement clouded in shadow.

The two warriors went back over to to the road. They slowly searched across the length of it, finding nothing except the tracks of the dwarves. And then Bali spotted the broken reeds in the stream by the path. "A horse passed through here, heading into the forest."

Hoping it was indeed Yanithe who they were following, the two warriors walked into the forest. Their figures were soon swallowed up by the dark canopy.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:25 PM   #169
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Belfalod was happy to have a break from the tires of the life on the road. Rivendell was a place of rest, and here he felt truly at peace. Although he knew that those abiding here were his enemies, he still made friends will many of the elves there, and soon blended in with the type of social class which existed in that safe haven.

He walked throughout the outer wall, overlooking the ford and the mountains to the east. Fountains and waterfalls were scattered about, and trees; everywhere there was life, intwining with the masonry and forming the sophisticated architecture found in Imladris.

He returned to the main building soon feeling an exhaustion which slowly consumed him. He went back to his room, and threw himself under the covers. Rest, he needed it badly. But he could not sleep. He saw images of the members of the company which he had been ordered to destroy. The friendly figure of Bali, the pain etched into the features of Burzdol as the arrow took him in the back, the anguish on the face of Ani Dao when she saw that her friend had been wounded. He knew that the group had slowly bonded; and deep down he had a creeping feeling that much as the orcs and traps of Galdon Finllo and his warriors had and would set against them, the company of warriors would not be stopped. And, adding to his confusion he was slowly feeling like one of them. He ate and slepted beside them, and had fought with them against a common foe. The man tried to push the thoughts out of his mind. If there was one thing that had been drilled into his mind during his strict training, it had been this.

Fear is not acceptable. Failure is not an option. Treason will ensure your death.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #170
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

The forest cast mysterious shadows on the moss ridden ground. Here and there pools of glowing light broke the darkness of the forest floor. Looking up no stars could be seen. The wind grew in great gusts and then died down again quickly. This was a strange forest.

As Bali and Astarielle searched the area for any sign of Yanithe. After a while, steadily working their way deeper into the forest, Astarielle say a patch of disturbed soil. Patches of bare earth were visible in a sea of dead leaves.

"She passed this way it seems, however she was not fleeing from danger. Quite on the contrary, her horse was plodding." said Astarielle.

"This tale gets more sinister by the hour." said Bali in a wondering voice.

They continued on following the footfalls but after an hour they ended. They appeared out of the gloom in a spacious clearing, in the centre of which there was a pool, surrounded by leaves. The ground now turned to grass so footprints should have been easy to find and follow. To their dismay even in this saturated ground no trace could be found.

"It's almost like she disappeared." said Bali gruffly.

"or turned aside and covered her tracks to fool the unwittingly." replied Astarielle.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:34 PM   #171
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

The library of Rivendell was immense. There were books, maps, manuscripts, letters, and drawings from as far back as the first age before the first war with Sauron. Ani Dao stood atop a ladder, flipping through them haphazardly, trying to find anything that would be of some interest to her. She came across a rather new, red leather bound book. There and Back Again: A Hobbit’s Holiday. As she removed it from its little niche, an envelope fluttered to the ground. She reached down to catch it as it fell, and ended up sliding the ladder out from under her. The elf fell on her back atop the envelope. Reaching under her, she withdrew the crumpled piece of paper. Opening it, to her great dissatisfaction, she found it empty. Annanoldowen came over to her then, and helped her up.

“What was in this envelope?” asked Ani Dao, showing it to her friend. Annanoldowen took it and turned it around rapidly once or twice before shrugging. She then glanced at the book Ani Dao had dropped on falling.

“Ah! There and Back Again. Bilbo Baggin’s tale.” Ani Dao scrunched up her brow trying to remember where she heard that name before. Failing, she followed Annanoldowen as she righted the ladder. “Was there anything specific you were looking for?” Ani Dao shook her head.

“Just anything of interest.” Annanoldown nodded.

“Want to read about Beren and Luthien.” Ani Dao guffawed,

“That’s a child’s bedtime tale.” Annanoldowen shrugged,

"It might enlighten you ..." Ani Dao rounded on her,

“Here! What do you mean by that?”

“Ani Dao, Hathalas is awake.” An elven healer appeared at the library entrance, looking solemnly towards the disheveled elf. Ani Dao gave him a perplexed look. The elf spoke again, “Did you not wish to be summoned when he recovered?”

“Annanoldowen, did you—” Ani Dao turned her head to find the elf missing from her previous position. “I’m sorry, I believe you have been mistaken. I apologize for the inconvenience.”

“Not at all.” The elf turned then, and walked slowly, in the fashion of nobility towards his next destination. Ani Dao shook her head and sat down heavily on a small chair next to the bookshelf, her eyes straying randomly over the large array of books. They finally settled on one that stood out amongst the others. Getting up to fetch it, she pulled it from its confined place between two larger, geneaology books. It fell open at once in her hands. Bright calligraphic words danced across the page in hues of golds and silvers. Written in an ancient form of Sindarin. Suddenly the air about Ani Dao grew dark and dreary and a deep thrumming settled inside her ears. Voices of old screamed to her from their prisons among the pages. Shutting it quickly and firmly, she placed it back on the shelf and stepped back.

“Bad ending?” She turned apace to find Burzdol standing just behind her, clad in new garb of the Rivendell order.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 03-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #172
Hathalas Ashen-Shield
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Hathalas was sick of thinking about the dream, so he threw his cloak over him and went down the ornate staircase to get some breakfast.

While on his way to the dining room he passed by the Rivendell library, which was full beyond extent, packed with stone statues, books of Middle-Earth and all of its ages, and several other priceless artifacts. He saw Lady Annanoldowen, standing tall beside Ani Dao, a fair elf Hathalas remembered from the company. He greatly admired Lady Annanoldowen, for her vast knowledge of the land and its times, for her pride and her beauty, and for her resolve to help the people of Middle-Earth. She had afterall stayed at Middle-Earth rather then set sail on the tall ships leading to Valinor to help spread her knowledge to all living things.

Hathalas walked over and bowed to Annanoldowen, and Ani Dao. He saw that she was looking over a large leather bound book titled "There and Back Again:A Hobbits Tale - By Bilbo Baggins". Ah, Bilbo Baggins. He had not heard that name for a while. He remembered him from years ago, coming to stay at Imladris. He was an interesting hobbit, full of surprises, Hathalas had found him when he had arrived. He spoke briefly to Annanoldowen and Ani Dao in the elvish tongue of Mr.Baggins, refreshing Ani Dao's memory of his name, although she had probably never had the chance to meet him. Then the conversation passed to his son Frodo Baggins, and then to the completed quest of the ring, the elvish language bouncing easily and gracefully off their tongues. Hathalas then bid them farewell, and went down for a hearty meal. Perhaps he would see the other elf, Burzdol there, who'd he'd been eager to find out if his condition was alright.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #173
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

With Burzdol's new green cloak and clothing, he walked to the library. He then talked to Ani Dao for a bit and asked where Hathalas was. The elf the strode away to find his companion.

"Good day to you, Hatalas," Burzdol said as he walked into another beautiful eatery, "How are you today?"

"Fine, I thought I would see you here."

"Yes. Though I'm not a dwarf, I still like good cooking." The two elves laughed at the joke. Burzdol then sat down exchanged more conversation.

Hogar and Serello followed Bali unnoticed. For all any one knew, they were dead.

"How long until we reach Rivendell?" Serello asked.

"Not that long, I hope. But when we get there, we are staying. We'll be safe there. From anything."

"Does it have a library?"

"Of course it has a library, young hobbit. Why?"

"I want to know it they have Bilbo Baggin's book."

"Well, I think they have that book. And about five hundred score more. So you should like it. They also have some of the best food in all Middle Earth."

"Food?"

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 03-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #174
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thalion's hooves echoes on the wooden bridge crossing the the Ford of Bruinen. They had finally reached Rivendell. They had followed the tracks of the others before them. Luckily, they had run into no orcs but Arlómë could hear them in the forest, somewhere out there. He knew that there would be no attack on Rivendell, so they would be safe there.

As they rode into Rivendell, an elf spotted them and walked over.
"Welcome again, Arlómë of the Dúnedain. You are well known to us." the elf said.
Arlómë didn't recognize this elf. He must have arrived in Rivendell after the last time Arlómë was here. Arlómë bowed to him in the elven fashion and said, "We are well met, master Elf, though I do not recognize you. Last time I was in Imladris, Lord Elrond was preparing for his departure for the Greyhavens."
"I myself am preparing for the departure from Middle-Earth. I'm spending my last remaining years here preparing for Valinor. I have been told by our Lady that if I should see you, to take your horse to the stables and direct you to your chambers. Many of your friends have arrived before you and are now resting."
"What about Ani Dao and Burzdol? Are they ok?" Einen asked.
"Yes, they are ok. You look more worn and weary than they do. Come, you shall rest under the shade of Imladris."

The elf, who was named Moranin, led Arlómë and Einen to their rooms.
"Arlómë , your room is here and Einen, yours is across the hall." And with that said, he took Thalion to the stables.
Arlómë went into his room while Einen went into his. Arlómë was ready for a good rest. He unbuckled his cloak, and then his sword belt. After finally taking off all his equipment, and putting on the elven garments that he found lying on his bed, he got ready to retire, but it was spoiled by Einen.
"I love this place! I still can't believe I'm here. Do you want to go out and find the others? You can show me around the place." Einen asked excitedly.
Arlómë sighed. "Yes, I will tell you everything you want to know, but after I get my rest. I suggest that you rest also or your stay here won't be as enjoyable as it can be."
"Your right. I'll come back later. I am getting pretty tired, after talking about rest." Einen yawned and went back out to his room. Arlómë's door shut softly behind him.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:53 AM   #175
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Dain Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dain shook his head and stared over at Gromfelt and his son. "Bah, Yanithe must have fallen into a deep pit or strayed far from the trail. I fear for her safety. We've looked and looked but have gotten exactly nowhere. I've spoke with Astarielle. Their team is going to keep looking deeper in the woods. They suggested we go on to Rivendell and warn the others to prepare things for the tough trail that lies ahead."

Durin nodded his head towards his father, "We've got to hurry. It will do no good if we make it through the pass only to discover that the Orcs have made it before us and killed everyone in their wake."

The three gathered their things together and headed in the direction of Rivendell, intending to warn everyone that they should gather their things for the purpose of leaving shortly.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Dain Ironfoot ]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:15 PM   #176
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Is it him? Is it really him?thought Yanithë. She dismounted her horse and approached the figure at the water.

"Bëor, is it you? Bëor son of Falamir? Speak to me!" Yanithë plodded through the stream, not caring about her raiment. "Will you not speak? Will you not speak?"

He looked at her, a dazed expression on his face, and gestured toward the water. She gazed at her reflection, moving closer and closer, as if in a trance. She heard her horse whinny and run off, then all went black.

Cold, so cold. Why did he do this to me? He was. . . that's all over now. It was not him, no. Where is my horse, where is my company, my leader, my compatriots? Where amI?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:30 AM   #177
Kili
Pile O'Bones

Kili has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Seeing as everyone else is going, shall we?" Kili asked Erulon, while packing up the cooking things. Kili had come to like Erulon more, he thought he was trustworthy, a good man.

"Well, I am sure Bali and Astarielle are capable of finding her!" smiled Erulon."So will we walk or are you willing to ride upon my horse with me?"

Kili thought for a second, walking would take along time and he was too tired for that. Howerver he never really favoured horses that much and only rode them when nessessary.

"Ok, we will take the horse, I will ride before you." Replied Kili.

They packed up the rest of the things and loaded as much as they could onto the horse, they left the rest for Bali to take. They mounted the horse on rode off down the dust riddeen path.

It had now been two days and they had only stopped once so that they could rest. They were now at the Ford of Bruinen, close to Rivendell. An elven scout came out to meet them accompanied by Belegond.

"Belegond, so you got here safe? And how is Hathalas?" asked Kili excitedly.

"Oh he is fine, healing fast. And yourself you seem to be fine no injuries from battle?"

"No! Let us go to Rivendell then, and then I can see how beautiful it is!"

The elf scout paused for a second, "surely you have put that fued behind you. It is over now, bring him before the lady and see what she will say," said Belegond softly to the elf.

"Yes, follow me", and the three followed the elf into Rivendell.
"'Kili at your service!'said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed. 'At yours and your family's' replied Bilbo, remembering his manners this time. 'Dwalin and Balin here already, I see' said Kili. 'Let us join the throng!'"
Old 03-19-2003, 01:25 PM   #178
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Belegond waved goodbye to the other three as they left on a separate path. He made his way down to a small alcove hidden by long winding Ivy. He could see a fire inside and a figure sitting by it, it was Arlome. Belegond looked around; there was no sign of Einen the new recruit Arlome had brought with him. He made his way over the soft grass to the hidden alcove.

"Hello Arlome, how does it go?" asked Belegond.

"Well", he smiled, "Please sit." Belegond obeyed and sat. Day was ending and the alcove was filled with the last lingering rays of sunlight. A soft breeze rattled the wooden frame and then peace. Belegond looked at the Ranger, his grey eyes were deep, mysterious. As most of the Rangers, like his father. They sat in silence for a while, and then Belegond took out his pipe and lit it.

“Pipe weed, brilliant!” said Belegond laughing.

“Indeed it is”, replied Arlome. As he said this another figure appeared. It was Belfalod. “Come join us.”

“I think I will”, and he took a seat on the other side of the small alcove. “So we have the three rangers together at last! Let us talk of our ancestors, and kin! What do you say?”

“Well I would not say no to a good talk after all of this fighting, what do you sat Arlome?” Belegond said as he looked towards Arlome.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:00 PM   #179
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Eye

A little further into the forest Bali and Astarielle came to a stream. They rested.

"How much longer are we going to pend trying to find Yanithe?" asked Bali.

"As long as it takes. Although I am accustomed to travelling alone I will not loose a member of my company" replied Astarielle.

The sun was reaching the midpoint of her long journey accross the sky. Long shadows were cast accross the stream. Looking around Bali caught sight of a strange shadow that did not look atall like a tree or any such thing.

"Hey! Elf, what is that?" said Bali urgently.

Disturbed from her thought Astarielle looked up and replied, "I do not know but I will go and see."

They walked, occasionally jumping over roots, towards were Astarielle thought the shadow was coming from though it was hard to see. They followed the steam and went down a steep muddy bank to the water's edge.

"It's Yanithe!"cried Bali. Ignoring the fact that he could not swim ran into the water. Swift as a bird Astarielle ran in and grabbed Bali form behind.

"I don't know about you but I do not wish to loose another of our company." said Astarielle gazing deep into his eyes. She set him down on the bank and hastened into the fast flowing stream. The stream was deepeer than it looked from the bank. She swam as fast as she could over to Yanithe. Taking hold of her carefully lifted her head onto her shoulder and swam back to shore.

"She is still alive, barely. Thankfully she lay with her face out of the water." said Astarielle calmly.

"Do something elf! Quickly!" yelled Bali running quickly over.

"Patience is a virtue master dwarf, come, give her space."

Bali kneeled down beside Yanithe and smoothed the hair away form her face. She lay pale and tranquil as if in a dream.

"Anim sintar thaliolle, lye coia nalaquel"

"I know your strength, come back to us"

As soon as Astarielle said this, Yanithe coughed and spluttered. Bali yelled in delight and embraced Yanithe then Astarielle saying,

"Thankyou Astarielle, I will never speak ill of an elf again!"

Astarielle did not know whether to believe Bali but smiled nevertheless.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #180
Hathalas Ashen-Shield
Pile O'Bones

Pipe

Hathalas enjoyed talking with Burzdol, finding out lots about him and his company. Then the conversation popped up as to where they were headed. Hathalas was most eager to find out, he wanted to help the company in any way possible.

"We're headed to Erebor," explained Burzdol. " There is, if you haven't heard, a battle going on there and the dwarves wish to aid their kin. Very loyal in my opinion, they also offered rare treasures of their land to find companions for their trip."

"Sounds like an exciting journey all in all," said Hathalas. "So how are you getting there? The High Pass? Caradhras? Moria?"

"Caradhras," Burzdol stated quickly. "It took more debate then we expected at the beginning, but it is our course for certain now."

"Caradhras, really...," Hathalas said in a pondering voice. "My father was a great scout you know, when he was alive, he knew Caradhras so much, he could create a map showing all the different pathways and passes to cross the dreadful mountain with his eyes closed. What’s more, he taught me everything he knew about Caradhras.”

Suddenly an idea popped up inside his head.

“Is your company in need of a guide?”

Burzdol looked up and said “Well yes, none of us are experienced or anything with the mountain, but I don’t know if you’d like to come, there would be dangers after all, and it is a long journey.”

“I owe it to your companions” Hathalas proclaimed. “I would have died for sure out on that orc ridden path if it wasn’t for them. I owe it to them.”

Burzdol grinned. “Well, you’ll have to ask Bali, but I think and hope you’ll be coming with us.

Hathalas smiled also and went up to one of the rooms to rest, stating he’d had enough food and even the talking had tired him out.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:06 AM   #181
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

As Burzdol left his friend, he pulled out a long forgotten item. The small carved out pipe reminded him of something. Thus, the elf went to Rivendell's finest goldsmith.

When he came out the pipe now had beautiful gold engravings. The few words it said were:Baruk Khazad, To my friend Bali
Old 03-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #182
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali was furious at Yanithe for getting lost. Much as she tried, he could get know explaination out of her; it appeared that the young woman did not even remember leaving the group at all!

They returned to camp, finding that most had packed and left. Thus, they did the same, and soon were on the way to Rivendell.

The trip went on without any further troubles, and within three days march they reached Rivendell.

"In any case," stated Belfalod, "Let I be the first to do so. I know little of what became of my mother, as she died when I was young, but I know that my father was a great ranger by the name of Airendil.

He fought alongside lord Aragorn in that last battle before the Black Gates of the Dark Tower, but alas, that was his final battle. My father was sain by an arrow which came from the tower.

I was not there, but in Gondor at the time. When I recieved news, I left the white city and have wandered ever since."

He turned to the others. "And what might your stories be?"

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 03-20-2003, 06:53 PM   #183
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

“An elf maiden ran through the woods, her layered dress billowing behind her, threatening to slow her down. Spiders were on her trail, and her weapons were lost. Her feet were covered protectively in cow-hid boots, although the soles were soaked and coated with mud. A howl up ahead told the elf that the wargs had detected her trail, and her enemies were upon her from both sides. The feather pendant at her throat was pulsing with a steady supply of magic. The silver began to glow. In a flourish of desperate panic, she wrenched it from its hanging place on a the black chord around her neck, and held it above her, reaching towards the steely gray sky. Bolts of magic and twines of steel erupted about her as the veins on the feather expanded past her fingers, creating a protective shield between the elf and her pursuers.

“Lunging at her like rabid dogs, spiders and wargs struck the shield in a bone crushing madness. Strength was seeping continuously from her body and the elf’s brilliant blue eyes were misting over. A voice sounded then, breaking through the sudden barrir. The elf cried out in frustration as strong arms wrapped protectively around her as she faded from consciousness. Vague outlines of spiders and wargs were cowering away from the figure who stood there, holding the limp she-elf’s body. It was a man, probably a wizard, his silver hair flowing around his face, receding from the confinements of his death black cowl.

“A loud booming sound echoed from under the wizard’s feet. He began to run. The elf’s body was folded into his arms, her head pressed against his chest. Fire engulfed the valley, and the man lashed out, a blue mist issuing from his fingertips, counteracting the flames. Another rumble shook the earth then, almost throwing the man off-balance. He ran again, forcing back the fire, and other enemies.

“Finally the two broke through the forest boundaries and entered the base of the Misty Mountains. The entrance to the unknown caverns of the desolate range were half a mile away. Summonging his magic around him, the wizard cloaked them defensively and quickened his sprint across the plain. Sweltering fire came after them, revealing its source. An ancient demon of Morgoth, both shadow and flame, a Balrog of the old world. It shrieked in fury as it closed in on the fugitives. Spiders and wargs were far behind, either scared off or killed by the monster.

“The door loomed just up ahead, only a few more steps and they were safe. The Balrog was right on their tale, but his bulky figure would not be able to pass through the entrance way. Shadow crept up over the two as they neared the arch. Finally, the wizard leapt into protection of the caves, cradling the elf girl. He did not stop there though, he continued to run away from the immense heat of the Balrog. The man came upon a pool, deep in some forgotten crevice of the mountain. Its water was black and placid, like the stomach of some sleeping dragon. On the far side were jagged rocks, forbidding access to the ominous pond. He laid the elf at its shore and settled himself in his robes, watching as the ceremony took place.

“He waited for an hour or so, until the water began to churn, green mist entwining with the black pool. Corporeal forms rose from the surface, dancing their way across the lake to the sleeping girl. The largest form, and most foreboding of the spirits, reached out with one frail, transparent hand. The moment the fingertips of the wraith made contact with the cheek of the elf, the entire cavern erupted in lightening, silver smoke issuing from every niche and crevice the mountains ever had. It disappeared as soon as it had come and the elf sat rigid, and by herself, her eyes open and staring at the death-plagued lake. In her small, frozen hand, was the feather pendant. Its pearlescent silver shiny from the sweat of her hand.”

Ani Dao concluded her story and looked mischievously at Serello who was staring wide eyed and amazed at the she-elf. The hobbit began to digest her story. They were seated in the dining room and had begun to talk while Hogar was being convinced by the other dwarves that elf food was not so bad, even for a dwarf. Ani Dao had spotted Serello half eating, half watching the scene. She had walked over to him and struck up a conversation with the hobbit. Not long after, she had offered to tell him the story of her feather pendant. Since she wasn’t sure of the real tale, she decided to make one up instead. After a while of thinking the little hobbit raised one eyebrow and said,

“You made that up!” Ani Dao shrugged,

“So? You liked it didn’t you?” The hobbit laughed and walked away to join Hogar who had finally conceded to eat elvish food. The elf stood up with a sigh, I thought it was good, she wandered then outside to enjoy the rest of the day before the company had to leave again. And if we don't go soon I'll go mad just wandering around with nothing to do!

Old 03-20-2003, 08:06 PM   #184
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Arlómë sat there and thought about his own family.
"I am of the northern line of the heirs of Isildur. My father traveled also with Lord Aragorn on the Paths of the Dead. He was in the battle before Minas Tirith, but he was wounded, and missed the battle before the Black Gate. I myself was born in Gondor. After the war, my mother came south to visit him. They were there for 2 years before I was born. When I was about 5, I was brought north to Rivendell, where I was raised for most of my life. My father taught me most of what I know, but he was slain by renegade orcs in the Misty Mountains when I was 17."

"I have not been gack to Gondor where most the remaining Dúnedain have gone. But I have chosen to live the life of the Rangers of the past and follow the examples of my fathers until the north is safe from any danger. That is why I'm going to Erebor."
Old 03-20-2003, 08:25 PM   #185
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Einen couldn't believe in the beauty of this place. He had awoken, but Arlómë was still asleep, so Einen just decided to go out by himself. From all the elves he had talked to and what he had learned in so short a time, he had found out a lot of about the history of the Elves and Men. He knew that Arlómë was a Dúnedain, but he really didn't know what that was-until he had listened to the stories of the Elves. Throughout the day, he had listened to stories of where the Elves came from, the Silmarills, and the Ancient Kings of Men. He had briefly heard of the ancient kings, especially about the Barrow Downs by Bree. Now, with the Elves help and knowledge, he learned that Arlómë himself, and Belfalod and Belegond, where of the line of the ancient kings.

After looking around some more and exploring into the library and other buildings of Rivendell. I wonder how Ani Dao, Burzdol, and the elf scout are doing? he tought. Einen decided that he go off and look for them.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #186
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ani Dao could not remember a time when she had been so bored. She had covered Rivendell in the first two days and searched the library the third. Day four and Ani Dao was lying on her back on a stone bridge somewhere in the inner forests of Rivendell, her feet dangling off the edge. She had discarded her dresses and elegant clothing for her preference of earthen colored and maneuverable garb. Her boots were pulled up snug against her shins, covering the bottom of her new dark green riding pants like the kind Astarielle wore. Ani Dao’s favorite vest of deer hide brown was fastened tightly around her torso, her sleeveless tunic separating the itchy leather from her fair skin. Ani Dao’s hair was tied up with some leather straps and few small, brown feathers. Missing from her outfit were her leather gauntlets, her left armband, her rope, and all her weapons. She wore her feather pendant like always on a black leather chord around her neck.

It was an hour until dusk even though the thick canopy caused it to appear otherwise. No wind stirred the trees and the forest creatures were quiet. When they said Rivendell was deserted, they meant it.

Her surroundings had taken on a blue tint, a reflection of the crystal stream and sapphire blue sky, peeking through the tiny gaps in the treetops. Flowers of all sorts blossomed on the soil rich banks and vines encircled the collection of tall elms and hemlocks. A light fog covered the floor due to the collection of humidity from the pale darkness. Little grooves on the cool stone bridge housed clumps of moss, and lichen traveled along the length of the span.

She dozed for a while then resolved to go check on Uesse, who had arrived with the first party of dwarves. The elf found her horse not in the stables with the others, but in the nearby field, grazing on the rich green grass. Ani Dao laughed and whistled for her horse to come to her. Uesse lifted his head momentarily then trotted over to his master.

“Sorry, no apples or carrots. I just came from boredom and didn’t think to bring you anything.”

“It’s alright, I have some.” Ani Dao starred at Uesse, thinking it was he who had spoken. Then silvery laughter came from behind, and the elf turned to see a young elf maiden holding a basket of grooming tools and some food. They both laughed. “I was just coming to bring him in. He wouldn’t come when Gorwen came to get him. I thought I’d try again and if he still didn’t I’d just groom him out here.” The elf maiden set down her basket and handed an apple to Ani Dao.

“Thanks.” She fed her horse some fruits and then left the maiden to her chore. Wandering back up to the palace she went to look for someone to talk to, whether it be someone from her company or just any elf in Rivendell, she needed something to do.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #187
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

“Well… I am of the line of Anarion. My father was born in Gondor but then went North and joined the rest of the Rangers. Then after the War of the Ring, he met my mother, a fair maiden of Rohan. She cared for the Mereas of Rohan, that is where I got Duelen. There upon its land I was brought up until at the age of seven my mother died tragically”, Belegond paused for a moment and looked at Arlome and Belfalod who were listening intently. “For the next years I travelled with my father and became a true Ranger, but alas I also lost him as well to a party of orcs. He died needlessly to save my life, and I honour him for that. Since then I have wandered the lands. But remember, ‘ Not all those who wander are lost’.” And with that Belegond finished his short tale, he could tell more but he did not feel all that up to it.

“May I take my leave? I wish to wander this place a little more before we depart”, Arlome and Belfalod nodded and Belegond walked out of the alcove.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 03-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #188
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Sting

For a while, Yanithë's mind was blank; it was impossible to think. Impossible to answer Bali's endless questions. But then she remembered. It was him. But how could it be? She sighed and rode on, for Astarielle found her horse.

Rivendell. She couldn't wait to get there, and when they first glimpsed the desolate city from a few miles away, she smiled at its beauty. Perhaps she would see that man, Belegond. Maybe she would be able to tell him what had happened, maybe he would understand. . .
Old 03-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #189
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Eye

"Imladris, rivendell, a light in a sea of darkness, how welcomly I look upon you now in this dark hour!" exclaimed Astarielle as they neared Rivendell.

Talhandir snorted and quickened her pace, sensing that they were near to a place of rest. Astarielle broke into song, her fair voice floating off into the wind.

She dismounted and set Talhnadir off into the rich pasture land that were nearby. Swiftly she leapt lightly up the cold worn steps to the doors of Imladris. A moments pause befell her, slowly she reached for the knob and opened the door. Lightly it swung open, she beckoned Bali and Yanithe to follow.

Out of a long corridor to her left an elf walked, making no sound, towards her.

"Ai na vendui Astarielle. Ellen sila lumen omentielvo." said the elf. He stepped into the light and lifted up his hood. Immediately Astarielle lowered her eyes and nodded her head.

"Well met Annanoldowen, it is pleasure to be under the eaves of your house once more. I have travelled far and great jy it brings me to see your face again." said Astarielle.

"Rest now Astarielle, you have far to go but never doubt that you will return and live once more in peace and in better times. Journey now and stay true to your companions, do not lead them astray. You have my blessing." As quickly as he had appeared he had left, leaving Astarielle dismayed, what had he meant?

Astarielle followed the corridor, light spilling in from the glass less arches. she came unto a heavy wooden door with silver clasps and hinges. Silently it opened form within, the great hall stood in front of her. Some of her companions were here, thay looked towards Astarielle, Bali and Yanithe as they entered.

"Reunited at last"

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: astarielle ]
Old 03-23-2003, 02:21 PM   #190
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Kaldon crouched behind a small boulder, watching the three rangers talk. He was unsure whether or not he could still trust Belfalod. The man considered killing him now with a swift knife throw, but abandoned the idea when the rangers were called inside. He decided that it would be better to simply get a head start on them, and wait for an opportunity to slay that meddling dwarf Hogar. Kaldon slipped away into the underbrush, bound west.

The company spent several more days at Rivendell, waiting for their wounded comrades to recover their strength. But at last the day came to leave Imladris, and head west once more, bound for the Caradhras.

It was a somber group that met by the eastern gate of Rivendell. The company, now consisting of Gondorian warriors, several elven scouts (lead by Hathalas), and the original members (minus Sarello and Hogar who were staying at Rivendell), stood ready for the order to leave. All were making the journey on foot, as it would be impossible to travel over the Caradhras on horseback.

"Well, companions, it seems that we are once again on the road. Steel yourselves for the worst, for our road will now lead us over mountainous terrain, and ultimately to the Caradhras. Be on your guard. The orcs will return."

With these ominous words, Bali took his place at the head of the company, and the warriors left Rivendell. They passed at first through the pretty rural valley, filled with life of many types. The sound of the running water from the ford mingled with the song of many birds, creating a beautiful melody.

They travelled for about a day in this peaceful bliss, until they reached the mountains. Suddenly, the soft landscape changed dramatically, and all that could be seen was flat plains, with small vegetation and naturnal rock features dotted throughout the area.

They continued this way for several days, heading due west. Then they turned slightly southward, and finally reached their destination; the dreaded pass of Caradhras.
But before reaching the pass itself, they had to ascend to the top of the snowy peak.
The company started the climb, helping one another up the steep incline.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #191
Hathalas Ashen-Shield
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Hathalas walked lightly on top of the fresh layer of snow infront of the company, beside Bali and Ani Dao. He noticed that the dwarves trudged through the snow with determined faces, so accustomed to this because of their hard-working and sturdy nature. Hathalas was thankful that he was so light and did not have to put up with the thick snow as much as most of the rest of the company.

Burzdol, he seemed, had recovered much of his former strength and was walking confidently behind Hathalas beside Kili and Astarielle. It seemed that the pure goodness of Rivendell had given him something different, something new that wasn't there before...

Hathalas led them up a safer path on the North Eastern side of the mountain that was in less danger of having an avalanche occur, because of the degree of the slope on its side of the mountain. However Hathalas felt a higher danger growing even more aware in his heart. His elven eyes saw far away, a dark storm cloud, black and grey swirls of maddening nimbus clouds, the chilling rain and thick snow, the angry and howling winds. Hathalas also chose this side of the mountain, because the storm was approaching from the other side, from the east.

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Hathalas Ashen-Shield ]
Old 03-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #192
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali trudged up the mountain, following Hathalas. He was actually quite glad for the help of the elf, for he had led the group on a relatively straight route while still missing many of the dangerous naturnal features which existed.

Soon the company came to a thick patch of ice on the hillside. The dwarves then came to the front, using their axe blades to bust footholds into the hard ground before them. The others followed behind them.

Within an hour's climb they reached the top of the summit, a flat plateau covered with a thin layer of snow. Immediately, the weather changed for the worse. Snow blew hard in the vicious wind, causing the vision of many members to become difficult.

They trudged along the flat open area, and soon came to a wall of white rock, the start of the mountains. But there was also a large opening, which Bali made for. Through it little could be seen, but within the company there was no doubt that it was the entrance to the pass of Caradhras.

"Well, here we are; this is the pass of Caradhras. We will now enter a dangerous road, which will drop down steeply for a while. It does not lead underground, but when there are great storms the pass darkens. Watch your step, and keep near the walls. There are many sheer dropoffs into the nothingness below." The company moved into the pass, and was soon swallowed up by the swirling white storm.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #193
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Arlómë trudged through the snow-he had left Thalion behind at Rivendell. He didn't want to have to worry about his horse while they were on Caradhras. He had crossed before, but it wasn't as he remembered. He was glad that the Elven scouts were leading the company-they could see better in the snow and they didn't have to worry about trudging through the stuff.

When they finally reached the pass, he heard the grim warning of staying near the walls and watching your step. He knew how important it was to be careful, especially now that they were in a narrow pass. Anything could happen...

Einen wrapped his cloak closer around him. He had never experienced snow like this before. They had snow in Bree, but not like this. He was grateful to the Elves of Rivendell for equiping him with snow clothes. They also had given him a quiver of arrows and a bow, as a token of their appreciation for him listening to all of their tales and stories. He had practiced with it some, but he was eager to use it on some orcs.

His hood protected his eyes from the snow. As he glanced in front of him, he could barely see the form of Arlómë.

"Stay near to the walls..." was all he could hear in the wind. But he figured that as long as he stayed behind Arlómë, he would get through Caradhras.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:27 PM   #194
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Gromfelt griped his axe tight. The soft lands by Rivendell had long past them by, insteed replaced by a harsh cold landscape. Hathalas and his elves had lead them onward and upward to the pass of Cahadras. The biting cold was good in the view of the dwarf, but peaks and crages juting out in every direction and the storms were not.
The group paused as Hathalas explanded how they would go through the pass. Soon it became hard to see. Grom kept one hand on his axe, the other on the wall. His mind was back in Rivendell, in the armory where an elf had explained to him about there take on the craft. Armories, Smiths, Erebor. He thoughts wandered aimlessly untill they can on the loney mountain.

Sundenly he was jerked out of his thoughts, his foot had no ground under it, he stumbled, loosing his balance, falling forward, then someone grabed him from behind."Don't loose your footing there." it was Dain by the sound of the voice, but Gromfelt couldn't acually see him. Gromfelt nodded and sighed embarestly.
"No mountain yet has conquered Gromfelt son of Dwelfelt" he thought back to his proud words in the Shire. He started moving again, feeling his way along the pass.

No mountain, yet.

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]
Old 03-24-2003, 06:37 PM   #195
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

The entire company was tense, not afraid, just cautious. They began the ascension of Caradhras walking in threes, but soon the passageway narrowed, and they were forced to walk singly up the mountain. Ani Dao was freezing. She would never admit it, but her face was raw and red. The dark blue cloak Annanoldowen had given her in Rivendell was a humongous help in shielding the rest of her from the harsh wind. She kept the large cowl covering her face, and her long braid tucked inside as the flakes of snow ripped around her head. Beneath the cloak, her regular clothes trapped her body heat inside of her, preventing hypothermia. Deer-hide boots protected her feet from the snow and thin gloves separated her hands from ice as she used them to try to hoist herself up onto the landing where the company had stopped. Stiff from the combination of strenuous climbing, and biting wind that both Hathalas and Burzdol had to help her make the platform, while Kili and Gromfelt watched protectively from behind.

When she was finally standing on the flat ledge, she closed her eyes and completely stilled her body, forcing out any inclination of shivers and chills, then laughed forcibly.

“Well,” she said to the two dwarves mostly, “let’s not let that happen again. Hey, aren’t I supposed to be an elf.” She winked and the two dwarves chuckled quickly, their spirits lifted for a moment.

“You are Ani Dao, and so are the rest of them,” said Kili nodding towards the front of the company where a good portion of elven scouts peered through the wind, rigid with cold, but keeping it inside of them. “It’s just that they would never admit it.” The trio laughed again before concentrating again on their footing.

The cold sensations had left her immediately and up ahead she heard Bali say,

"Well, here we are; this is the pass of Caradhras. We will now enter a dangerous road, which will drop down steeply for a while. It does not lead underground, but when there are great storms the pass darkens. Watch your step, and keep near the walls. There are many sheer drop offs into the nothingness below." At least I can still hear like an elf, if I can’t withstand a little bit of cold weather. Smiling to herself despite the conditions she followed carefully behind Hathalas as the company made their way into the dangerous pass.

Basking herself in the memories of Moria bonfires and Shire ale, Ani Dao was cured of the affects of the freezing atmosphere. She glanced behind her more than necessary to make sure that the company still followed, her elven blue eyes peering through the thick fog.

“Why do you keep doing that?” asked Burzdol finally, climbing right behind her. She shrugged,

“Don’t want to lose anyone do we.” Burzdol shook his head.

Breaks were taken seldom. They wanted to spend as little time as possible on that treacherous mountain. After the first full day of walking, they came upon a pause in the pass where the path was not so narrow, and five to six could walk abreast. There they stopped and warmed themselves with an imaginary fire. The wind was too rough to start a real one, and no cavern wall was provided as a blockade. Perhaps they would find better shelter later, further ahead.

Ani Dao sat in the snow and leaned up against the mountainside that jutted strait up, allowing her no comfort but to just sit. Burzdol took a seat beside her and buried his feet in the snow.

“Cold?” he asked her. She didn’t appear to be shivering, and her face was red but not strained. The elf opened her eyes and looked over at him, snow clinging to her long lashes. A sarcastic smile spread across her face and she looked over to where Gromfelt and Kili were standing, trying to look ahead past the roaring wind. Then she guffawed dramatically,

“Now what in Eru’s Arda would make you think that my dear friend?” Burzdol smiled and leaned up against the wall too.

“Does that mean yes?” Ani Dao nodded quickly and leaned back again.

“Yeah. I’d say I’ve never been colder.”

They were allowed only a few moments to rub feeling back into the aching muscles in their arms and legs before Bali, Hathalas, and the elven scouts persuaded them to move on. Ani Dao moved steadily now, wrapped securely in her cloak so that the wind could not reach her. Energy found its way into her body and her mind was cleared so that she was completely aware of her surroundings. The Gondorian rangers along with some of the original company began to slow as the wind fought stubbornly to dislodge them from the side of Caradhras.

“Ani Dao, Astarielle, make your way back to help the Gondorians. I fear their enigma is failing them, and that their speed is slowing.” The two elves nodded and pressed themselves up against the mountain, allowing the dwarves to pass them by before they made their way back to check on the men. Ani Dao watched as the soldiers trudged through the snow. Dark circles were around their bloodshot eyes, and their breath came heavily in swirls of mist. They were as strong as a herd of oxen walking over a regular plain. Their thick legs seemed to move effortlessly through the snow. Ani Dao had never met anyone from Gondor, and the only men she ever met were in Umbar, Bree, and the random rangers she had acquainted during her stays in Rivendell. Seldom had she revealed herself to anyone on the Road. Now she stood, her back against the mountain, marveling at the Gondorians. Finding nothing amiss, she made her way back to Hathalas.

“They’re as strong as oxen! Nothing could slow them—”

“Except a narrower ledge,” interrupted Astarielle. Her gaze was focused ahead at the elven scouts who were searching for the safest way across the cliff side that was no more than two feet wide. The ledge they were walking on now was five feet, and even then they had pressed themselves as close to the mountain as possible, for fear of teetering slightly off balance and plummeting into the bottomless abyss before them. A message was making its way down the line of scouts. Ani Dao listened in as it was passed to Hathalas,

“It is narrow for about twenty yards. Then it broadens again to be roughly seven feet across.” Hathalas nodded.

“That is bad and good news,” Ani Dao decided. Bali was informed of the obstacle. He looked at Hathalas firmly and said,

“Master elf, we have no choice. Press on, while the wind is not so rough.” Ani Dao felt around her with her senses and noticed that the wind had died down enough, as if granting them permission to cross safely, Or urging us onwards in deception to our doom. But it was true, they had no real choice. Ani Dao found that she was frightened much more for her companions than she was for herself, which was definitely a new feeling. Usually she was tough, and single-minded. Now she was compassionate and protective of her friends.

“Bali!” The dwarf turned to look at her. “I’m going to the rear and to be of assistance to the Gondorians. They will need help getting across?” she made it sound more like a question than a fact. The dwarf nodded, the wind blowing his beard across his face.

“Be careful.” Ani Dao had turned to go, when Burzdol touched her elbow from behind.

“I’m coming too.” The two elves then made their way back to lead the procession of Gondorians across the narrow ledge. They came upon it again, and the wind had grown merciful.

“Crouch down so your balance is not in question,” ordered Burzdol. The Gondorians bent their knees and began to move along the strip, placid faces staring into the gloom. They had not gone but five yards when the fates intercepted their good fortune ...
Old 03-24-2003, 09:36 PM   #196
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The trap was sprung swiftly on the company. The thin strip of packed snow crumbled under the sudden weight of a leading Gondorian, and he disappeared, yelling a warning to his companions as he fell to his doom. Bali, out in front, swung his axe upwards and caught it in the wall of ice; securing himself.

The group watched in horror as the ice slowly cracked, forming a ten-foot gap in the narrow passageway. There was nowhere else to go.

They stood in silence, as the realization struck them that a friend had left them, needlessly falling into the depths of the Caradhras. Then the snow started again.

Bali viewed the gap, and shook his head. "This was not merely a natural danger that I spoke of; someone passed through here recently. This was a trap, set for us to fall into."

The company, seeing that there was nothing they could do at the time, broke camp. No one talked much, and they ate only through the urgings of Bali and Eruantalon; who realized the need to keep up their strength.

"Well," said Bali. "Does anyone have an idea on how to get over this crevase?"
Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 AM   #197
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Eye

Astarielle who was in the midst of the company swiftly came to the front. Calmly, raising her voice above the wail of the wind said, "We could swing. I have some rope that I acquired on my travels. If we could find away of looping it over a piece of rock above us I am sure that if someone had the skill and bravery to climb the sheer face to the other side, we could swing the rest of the company accross."

There was much deliberation but after a while still no decision was reached. Astarielle spoke out again, "Time presses we must decide."
Old 03-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #198
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Belegond stood at the rear of the company and surveyed the mountainside, the pass was narrow and the storm was getting worse. Snow and wind rushed past his skin and he was almost blinded. It had been a couple of minutes since the ridge had collapsed and Astarielle had suggested swinging over. It was not a very safe idea but it was the only one someone had come up with.

“So what shall we do then?” asked Belegond loudly, battling with the storm, “It does Erebor no good if we just sit here. Astarielle’s idea is the only one we have had so far. I am willing to try, is anyone else?” Nods came from the company.

Astarielle stepped forward and took the rope out of her sack. She delicately tied to a high up rock and secured it. She then pulled it to check it was tight; she pulled once more, and then swung over the gap. She landed safely on the other side. A few of the Gondoliers cheered along with the dwarves. She smiled and bowed.

“Now let us see if you can do it ranger!” she nodded at Belegond.

The wind was strong, he took up the rope. He pulled it, and then swung. He to landed on the other side safely. He then threw the rope back for the next one to cross.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:39 PM   #199
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali smiled happily as the last of the Gondorians landed safely on his side of the deep crevase. Now only Maikafanawen, Burzdol, and Kili were left on the far side.

"Up you come, good dwarf," said Ani Dao. Kili grumbled a little, but he grasped the rope with both hands and held tight as the elf gave him a mighty shove, sending his flying over to the other side where the waiting arms of the company pulled him to safety.

Kaldon had just reached the summit. He had lost much time due to a blockage of the path, and now looked down over the side of the mountain. He knew immediately that the plan had worked; but something was wrong. Most of the company was on the far side, where they were safe and could move on.

Cursing, he decided that the best thing he could do was to take out the remaining two elves. He grabbed the prepared sticks stuck into the snowpiles and shoved hard.

Down below, the company heard a heavy rumble. "I'll check it out," said Burzdol.

As the elf stepped away from the wall and looked up the mountain, he saw an avalanche heading towards the company. "Get near the wall and hold on!"

Burzdol would have been knocked off of the ledge had not Ani Dao grabbed his arm and pulled him up against the wall, as the snow poured over them and the company accros the ravine. Soon all was quiet, as the dust settled, revealing several large mounds of snow....

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 03-25-2003, 03:19 PM   #200
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Trudging up the pass, Yanithë was frozen. No, not just frozen, but cold, wet andfrozen. Her woolen cloak stuck to her as well as her dark hair. She longed for her horse, but the mare was left in Rivendell, safe, unlike her mistress.

One of the Men from Gondor had fallen. Yanithë knew him not, yet she mourned for him. At the camp site they had made, her salty tears froze to her wind-blistered face. Luckily, she hid her face behind her cloak so that the others wouldn't notice. A sudden realization hit her: I may not live through this.

That was not her greatest fear. Like most of the women of Rohan, she did not fear Death. But with the coming of the avalanche, Worry and Fear began to taunt her mind.