The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2002, 10:40 PM   #1
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting A funny thing happened on the way to the canon

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/4786/63343
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/4786/45552

A couple essays by Micheal Martinez; I expect most have read them, but I desire to discuss them now, assuming anyone is still around here.

He really has some good points. I've been working feverously on canon stuff for the last two weeks, but after reading these i'm reevaluating the whole subject.

It's likely that the whole reason i've been obsessing over creating a canon is just to provide me a good reason and pathway to spend unlimited time reading, studying, and answering every little question and curiousity I can concieve.

My greatest desire with it all is to provide a seamless chronological tale of the History of Arda, so that people can read and enjoy all of Tolkien's Legendarium without having to examine the endless pages of confusing lore. All the repeated, outdated, and conflicting scraps thrown together in HoME and other sources.

I have such a desire to create, to share, there is so much beyond the Silmarilion that can now only be obtained by extrodinary study. It would be so nice to organize and produce a canon to replace all that.

I reconize the good points MM brings, but I still cannot bring myself to leave everything as it is. Such a waste it seems. Any thoughts? Are we doomed?

[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: Mhoram ]
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote