Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #241
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

IT IS LATE AFTERNOON IN THE SHIRE.

THE WEATHER IS FAIR - BUT THE RAINSTORM MAY BE GATHERING ONCE AGAIN ON THE HORIZON.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-02-2004 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #242
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

~*~ Notice of New Game Opening ~*~

Durelin invites you to look at the discussion thread for Bloodstained Elanor.

Click HERE to view it.

The Discussion Thread will open to take on players on June 5th.

Until then, read the proposal carefully, design a well-crafted character for the game, and write a First Post for your character to accompany the character bio.

It should be a fun game to play in.

~*~ Pio, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-02-2004 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 AM   #243
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lily shiverred. She was starting to feel chilled from standing in one place, and she wanted to start moving again to warm up. She did not yet want to go back to the Inn; she was enjoying the fresh air and was not eager to go back inside, cozy as the Green Dragon might be.

"I suppose you will want to be moving on towards the Inn, Master Dîm," said Lily. "Perhaps we shall talk later." Dîm nodded and tipped his blue hat. "Good day to you, ladies," he said. He flicked the reins and his poor mule pulled the cart down the road.

As if by some unspoken agreement all three hobbits began walking again. "Interesting character, that Dîm," said Lily. "But then he's a Dwarf, and all Dwarves are a bit queer. There are some strange people that come to Inns, and no mistake." As she walked her limbs were warming, and she began to enjoy the brisk temperature. The sun, though still high in the sky, was moving on towards the clouds in the west, reminding Lily of the brooding storm. Lily grinned suddenly, inspired. However awake she might feel, she was still tired, and she was starting to think in somewhat nonsensical ways.

"Who's the strangest person you ever met?" she asked. "He or she could be from an Inn, a distant relative, anything."
Old 06-02-2004, 07:34 AM   #244
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan was pacing up and down his room, it had not been as long as his mind was portraying since he spoke to the hobbit maid, asking her to tell Lady Aman to come and see him, but it felt so long. Bredan started to feel trapped, he glanced to wards the window. He looked out at the beautiful landscape, it had changed colour since he last glanced upon the majestic land of the Shire. Bredan than noticed the mass of dark cloud forming in the sky. His heart started to feel heavier.

He started to think that maybe she would not forgive him, and surly, if someone was in the bad books of Lady Aman, whom everyone in the land respected and loved, than everyone would follow suit. Just as Bredan had been chased from Gondor, he would be chased from the Shire.

Bredan was thinking of packing when he realised that he had no stuff to pack, all he owned was about his person, his clothes and deeply treasured items. He looked at his clothes and his heart was weighed down yet more, his roomer got darker, and it seemed to him smaller as well.

He looked at the ring Iolet had given him when they parted, and Bredan fled. Many times on his journey it had comforted him but it’s power seemed to had left it now as it made him feel worse than he already felt. Bredan than picked up the sword, it was the only thing that he had from his parents, he did not know who his father was and his mother died at child birth, nobody else seemed to know either, or they did not want to know, but he had always felt that people were weary of him, there was so many questions that Bredan wanted to be answered, and the only lead was a sword that had been given to him at birth, and Bredan still remembered clearly all that was said of the sword, ‘this sword has been handed down to you through lineage’, that was all Bredan had known.

He looked back upon his forming years and remembered joining the army of Gondor as soon as he could for two reasons, so he would have shelter and food, and he wanted to be like the heroes in the stories he used to eaves drop on when other children’s fathers used to tell them. But he had lived through the time of his favourite tale, the destroying of the ring, he had been eight at the time and his favourite was Sam the brave. But once again Bredan looked out of the window and saw the dark clouds, his heart dropped.

He lay on the bed and tried to relax, until he drifted into the world of sleep, maybe he would find comfort there.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #245
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Shield

'Jean' looked up suddenly. He had been looking at the Elf-woman again. "Oh. I'm sorry. What I say rarely makes sense at all, and sometimes I do not understand myself. You asked why I was in the Shire? Well, I suppose it is sort of family:

I am going to visit my father. He is not really my father, but he raised me. I was orphaned at a young age. Then I am meeting my wife up north."
Old 06-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #246
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Balancing the tray on her hip, Aman knocked on Bredan's door, then shifted into a more comfortable position again, holding the tray with both hands. The evening meal she held on the tray smelled delicious - the Inn's shire-famous meat and vegetable stew, with a hunk of crusty bread beside it, made earlier by Buttercup. Aman had only just managed to scrounge a decent sized piece of bread before the two hobbit servers lavished the whole lot on the little boy, Jack, who Ruby especially seemed to have taken a shine to. Aman breathed in the fine, homely scent of the stew - she could probably snatch some quickly downstairs in a quick five minutes. She hoped so anyway - otherwise she would have to wait until far later that night.

Knocking once more on the door, as it seemed Bredan hadn't heard (and the room was terribly quiet), Aman mused on what the man wanted to speak to her about. She was slightly bemused and a little embarassed at the way he had first proposed his affections and she had then reacted in a horribly sissy way, by getting flustered and beating a hasty departure. What was she, some fine lady of society in High Minas Tirith?! She wondered anxiously whether Bredan was still angry - he had seemed fairly murderous when Snaveling had come to speak to her, and Aman had thought he would chop off the man's hand when he touched her wrist.

Still, Snaveling was gone now, so there would be no aggravation from that direction, Aman thought in a business-like fashion. Turning, the tray once more precariously balanced, the Innkeeper tapped lightly on the door once more, her head close to the wood and called quietly, "Mister Bredan?"
Old 06-02-2004, 01:55 PM   #247
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Falowik Stonewort and friends

As the sun continued down the western sky, four horses and three ponies, with riders mounted, came into Bywater from the east.

"Ah," sighed Eodwine, "it is good to be back here again. It has been too long."

The horses and ponies walked to the stables of The Green Dragon, and their riders dismounted.

"After a good ale here," said Falco, "I must go and tease ol' Halfred!"

Falowik Stonewort smiled. The first time he had come here, in the company of Falco, there had been no reason to smile. Now there was none to frown! He reached his hand to Uien, fair Elven woman, who had dismounted from her horse, and hand in hand they followed Falco toward the Inn.

Gorby Brandybuck and Anson, his best friend, protested at being left behind by Falco, and ran to catch up. Eodwine waited beside Flíthaf as Finëwen, the young woman who had been raised in Rivendell, took her time with her horse. They hardly knew each other, but she had agreed to join him in friendship when he returned to Rohan. She looked up at him, her face unreadable, and nodded once, and walked by his side toward the Inn.

It turned out that Falco had the door blocked until all seven of them stood together just outside.

"We must go in all at once, together! We must make a scene! We bring news, do we not? Follow me!"

"Do you really think that they will remember where we went?" Gorby asked. "The Hills of Evendim are beyond the Shire, and they will not care. You will see."

Falco Boffin entered the Great Room of The Green Dragon, his chest puffed out, taking big strides, followed by the others. Heads turned.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #248
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
‘Oh, I’ll fetch your pouch for you, sir!’

Jack bounced from his chair and was back in less than a wink, holding out the rolled up pouch for herbs to Alwin. The old fellow untied the pouch and unrolled it, his fingers making for one of the pockets on the left near the bottom. ‘Ah, here it is,’ he said with satisfaction as his thin, tapering fingers extracted the dried flower, stem, leaves, and root from its hidey-hole. He motioned for Jack and asked that he fetch a pot of chamomile tea from the kitchen.

‘This is Valerian , Master Cotton. We’ll add just a small pinch of it to the chamomile, needs a bit of honey, too. To make it more drinkable. The combination should relax the tipsy fellow and let him have a restful sleep.’

He looked up from the dried piece of vegetation to see the Hobbit lad smiling brightly at him, his blue eyes filled with a deep merry gentleness. Alwin could not help but smile back. For one brief moment the image of the young lad seemed to shimmer; his pale-skinned face caught the light from the fire making it seem fairer still; his hair glistened all spun gold as it danced along the shoulders of his tunic. Blinking his eyes to clear the image, he focused on the lad’s features. Shiny light brown hair, long it was; clear blue eyes; fine featured, fair skinned, his cheeks just touched with a certain rosiness; young seeming, artless.

The fire hissed and popped, drawing the old man further back to a surer vision of figure before him. A pleasant looking Hobbit lad . . . Still, he thought to himself, seeing the firelight play on the planes of Bingo’s face, he seems fey; as if the light glimmered from within . . .

Jack was back, then, holding a small teapot out to Bingo, along with a cup. ‘She’s laced it with honey already,’ he confided, smiling at the Hobbit lad who was just his height. Bingo held the warm pot in his hands as Jack took off the lid for Alwin. The old man crushed a small pinch of the dried plant between his thumb and fingers and dropped it into the fragrant yellow liquid. ‘Slosh it about a bit,’ he told the Hobbit, putting the lid back on securely. ‘That’s what Master Alwin does to get it all mixed up right.’ Jack looked up at his companion for confirmation, and beamed as Alwin nodded his head in agreement.

Further conversation stopped as the Inn door burst open. A shaft of westering sun shone in, backlighting the seven figures that entered. They were difficult to see, their faces in shadow. Heads turned to gaze at the puffed up one who led them in with a swagger.

'Falco Boffin! As I live and breathe!' Alwin heard heard some old gaffer at a nearby table mutter. 'Now what trouble is he dragging in to Bywater?' He took a long pull on his half-pint, his rheumy old eyes fixed on the entering party.

'Whatever it is,' cackled a wizened Hobbit mistress sitting next to him, 'he'll be sure to have a big, big story about it. And one with him at the center of it, I have no doubt . . .'
Old 06-02-2004, 06:34 PM   #249
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony nodded, "For your father eh? I hope that everything is all right with him." She would probably be leaving in a few days to go back home to her own father. "And your wife? Why is it she does not travel with you?"

As soon as Peony asked she regretted it. It was really none of her business, but it was too late to take it back now. She blushed a little and put her head down as she waited for Jean to answer.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #250
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! Falco

"You didn't even miss me, did you, Ferdi, you old codger!" Falco went over to Ferdi and gave him a resounding slap on the back. Ferdi steadied himself with both elbows on the table and coughed hard. Falco turned his gaze to Ferdi's red cheeked wife. "Bedelia, what kind of thing is that to say about your long lost third nephew, twice removed?"

Bedelia puffed to as tall as her three feet and inches could make her. "I'll twice remove you, if you start bragging to the lasses about whatever it is you're fixing on bragging about!"

Falco shook his head, suddenly serious. "I am a changed Hobbit. It is true that I have seen things that one only hears in tales, but so have my friends here, and if not for each of them, I would never have returned." Falco gestured to the others, who had gathered at the next table.

"The same could be said of you, Falco," said the shorter of the two golden haired men, smiling. The Elf woman sitting next to him smiled and held his hand.

"That may be, Falowik, and you're the one who will have to say it, because I shan't. Now, where's that serving hobbit lass when you need her?" Falco turned back to Ferdi and Bedelia. "It's good to see the both of you as alive and curmudgeonly as ever! Good day to you both!" Falco sat down with his friends.

Ferdi and Bedelia exchanged surprised glances, and Falco just barely overheard him say to her, "Something's crammed some humble pie into his addled head." And her to him, "Maybe he'll finally make the good shirriff he shoulda been all this while."

Falco grinned and winked to Falowik.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:46 AM   #251
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Pipe

'Jean' smiled. "You need not be ashamed to aks me. My wife does usually travel with me. Only I had an unusually long journey to make, and she wished to stay with my brother, because she and his wife have been close friends since childhood. I have only just returned."

He finished his ale and lit his pipe, leaning back in his seat to take a long smoke. Suddenly he leaned forward with interest, staring at several new arrivals to the inn. He gasped "I don't believe my eyes." Calling louder, he cried "Farowik Stonewort, is that you?" He stood up from the table.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #252
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Help for the drunkard and the return of an adventurer...

Bingo glanced towards the door where the seven arrivals stood. There were two, nay, three hobbits. One of them was speaking with one of the Inn patrons, and the other two still stood in the door. He caught their eyes and smiled before returning his gaze to Alwin. "Thank you very much, Mister Alwin, and you, Master Jack," he said. "It is most kind of you to help the poor man." He spread out his free hand in a gesture of despair and sorrow. "Not many of the Inn looked favorably towards him. I pity him and desire to aid him." He bowed. "I am at your service, sir, in return for the debt." And he departed.

In the room the drunk man was singing noisily and Bingo hurried to him, smiling in his face. "Lovely song, sir," he said, "and perhaps later you would teach it to me?" His smile grew wider. "My friend Blanco would love to learn the words. He composes songs himself, you know, and I think he's very good though Marcho doesn't." He stopped speaking and remembered the cup in his hand. "Please, sir, would you drink this tea?"

------------

Anson

"Gorby," said the timid-looking hobbit lad, "you said the Hills of Evendim are beyond the Shire and no one will care. I hope you're right. I don't want anyone paying attention to us tonight. It's the first time I've been here in a long while." He paused, touched the wood of the table, and smiled. "The still remembers my fingers. I had hoped Lira would come here someday."

"She has been here before," the hobbit called Gorby replied. "Falowik and Uien told me so. Come, let's get something to eat. I'm very hungry."

Anson's face brightened and began to shine with happiness. The Green Dragon had ever been renowned in his mind for the excellent cooking. He started for the counter. "So am I," he said.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #253
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Twylight

Twylight had sat unmoving for a very long time, deep in thought. Finally, she decided to go visit Iadarion in the other room. Gathering up her parchment and writing-rock, she stood up.

When she was halfway across the room, the door to the Inn banged open. Whirling around, she stood not five feet away from the newcomers. There were several hobbit, but the taller figures behind them caught her eye. Twylight's eyes settled on a face set in stone, with neither happiness nor grief showing in its fair countenance. She guessed she was an elf, and as she flicked her long hair to one side, her suspicions were confirmed by a set of pointed ears.

Twylight had not been near to many people of her own gender. Truthfully, she had never been near many people at all. Smiling abstentmindedly, she gazed at the newcomers in awe. Remembering her original mission, her face became more stern. Turning reluctantly, she made her way to the back of the common room, and up to the general direction of where she thought her room was. She was helped along by bouts of song.

Turning the handle to the room, she poked her head in cautiously. Iadarian was lying on the bed, trying to push off the hobbit lad who had helped them earlier. Running over, she helped hold him down while the hobbit gave him his tea, sip by agonizing sip. Judging by the aroma coming off it, it was laced with herbs.

The songs grew shorter and softer, until finally Iadarian dozed off. Falling back into a pair of comfortable chairs, the hobbit lad and elf maid both sighed with relief.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:23 PM   #254
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

‘Sir,’ said Jack as the two turned back to their meal. Alwin looked up from buttering a thick slice of crusty bread, his brows raised in question. ‘Go on, then, lad,’ he prompted the boy as he reached for the plum jam and spread a generous layer on top of all.

‘Well, I just wanted to say this is the most interesting Inn we’ve come to yet!’ Jack waved his spoon for emphasis about the room – pointing out the entering group, Bingo trotting off with his cup of tea for the man indisposed, the old couple at the nearby table as they leaned together in whispers, their eyes going now and again to the Hobbit they had called Falco.

Alwin broke his slice of bread in two, offering half to Jack. He watched with a barely suppressed grin as the boy’s nose took in the sweet odor of greengage jam and his mouth sought out the sugary prize. ‘I’d be ready to burst by now if I could eat like him!’ he chuckled to himself. In three bites the boy was done with the bread.

His soup bowl already wiped clean from a previous crust of bread, Jack looked about for a bit of something to fill in the last hollow spot. His eyes met the bowl of apple tart with delight. It was still warm from its place near the fire he found, when he’d hopped down from his chair and picked it up from the hearth. Buttercup had left them a pitcher of clotted cream to pour over it, and he did so – looking guiltily at Alwin when he saw how much he’d taken.

‘There’s a bit left for you, sir,’ he said with a chagrined smile as he looked in the little pitcher. ‘I’ll get you more if you need it.’

He tucked into the apple tart with a sigh of appreciation, and was half-way through when he noticed Alwin had pushed his soup bowl away from him and was now tamping some tobacco into his pipe. Jack looked at him then looked at the remaining bowl of apple tart still sitting by the fire.

‘Going to eat that, sir?’ he asked, a hopeful look on face. ‘I could help out if you want . . .’

Last edited by Arry; 06-03-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:52 PM   #255
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420! A moment of rest

Bingo sat back and watched as the man grew quiet and then dropped to sleep. The young hobbit sighed with relief. It had not bothered him to help the man but he was concerned over Marcho; the older hobbit had been quite against him helping. He now had more time. He could return at speak to Marcho briefly, assuring him, and then go back to the room to watch over the man until he woke up.

He smiled to himself at the excellent plan and turned to the woman of the Big Folk, dropping a little bow. "Thank you for your help, miss," he said. "Bingo Cotton, at your service."
Old 06-03-2004, 07:47 PM   #256
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! Falco & Company

Buttercup came out of the kitchen and saw the seven guests at table. She made her way to them and was all set with a "can I help you" when her eyes went wide with recognition.

"Falco Boffin! And Uien! Welcome back!" Buttercup's eyes moved around the table. She could not miss Uien's hand in the man's to her side, and recognition lit her features again. "You are the one who came with the tale of the missing man of Rohan!"

"Right you are, Buttercup," the man smiled. "Falowik Stonewort at your service. And we found the missing man. This is Eodwine of Rohan, safe and sound."

Buttercup's jaw dropped. Eodwine greeted her with a smile. "I remember you! I served you your ale of a night, and remembered the lyre you pulled out of your satchel!" Her face fell. "It was sad to see the satchel all broken up and you nowhere near. We thought you dead."

"Almost, but no. These worthy friends saved me from the very edge of the knife."

"I can see there is a tale to be told," Buttercup answered, "but only after you have proper vittles and drink in you. Ales around?"

Uien declined the ale and asked for tea, and Finëwen asked for wine.

Falco said, "The vittles smell as good as I'd expect from the reputable kitchen of the Green Dragon!"

"But of course, Falco Boffin!" Buttercup's tone was hard edged, but her mouth caught in a smile and a wink for the Hobbit. She left them and returned to the kitchen.

"I tell you, the lass likes me," Falco said. "It's almost a shame to leave her and go on adventure, but the road calls."
Old 06-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #257
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Hearing the commotion downstairs and guessing that Bredan must have been asleep, Aman hastily scribbled a note saying she had come and guessed he must be asleep, and so she would talk to him later. Folding it neatly and slipping it under the door, Aman picked up the tray again and started down the stairs.

She was barely halfway down when, glancing across the room, she froze suddenly as if she had seen a ghost. A slow smile slid across her lips to become a delighted, disbelieving grin. Half running down the rest of the way, Aman dumped the tray on the bar as quickly as possible (not noticing at the time the way Jack's head whipped around and his eyes focused hungrily on the food) and she ran across to the newcomers. Uien had seen her already and stood up, smiling widely, and they embraced tightly. As they parted, Aman held the elf at arms-length, still smiling disbelievingly as she realised that they really had returned. And all alive...

Looking around at the others, she grasped the hands of each, both known and unknown to her. "Welcome to the Green Dragon, good sirs - and ladies." She came last to Eodwine, and smiled warmly at him, her eyes flicking up and down and across his face, unsure of whether he could really be fine. "Master Eodwine...it is so good to see you once more, safe and well."

The Rohirrim man laughed. "What, you expected any less, Miss Aman?"

Aman wrinkled her nose, smiling, then wagged a mock-stern finger at him. "Well, you did give us a fright to be sure, sir! Is food and drink coming for you?" she asked of the whole company. Falco - Falco! - nodded. "Aye, Buttercup has gone to get some."

"Ah, and I suppose a tale is in order then...if you don't mind my asking, of course," she added with a wink, knowing from their expressions that they wouldn't be able to resist. Eodwine looked a little put out. "Now now, Aman, can't we even have a wee rest aforehand, have some good vittles and fine drink to revitalise our weary selves?" He couldn't conceal his grin though and Aman laughed, waving a hand from side to side.

"Psh, good sir, a rest? You are near bursting with news! To let you impart it to me - indeed, to all of us - well, I would merely be doing you a favour. Come, good sirs and madams, tell us of your adventures since you vanished those months ago?"
Old 06-04-2004, 08:41 AM   #258
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
The Arrival of the brother

Bartholomew entered the Inn, looking around. But what he found sitting next to the lovely Miss Crystal Heart was something he hadn't been expecting, his younger brother Arty. As each year passed he had given up hope that Arty would ever come up alive, claiming it all a mistake. He had wished for it to happen, even though he knew it was not possible. Yet here he was. Yes, he had grown up in the years since his supposed death-but he was still the same. Arty's eyes gave him away. They always did. He had seen those eyes too many times in his childhood to ever forget them. And here they were attached to his body. It was a miracle come true.

He had come bearing news of his up and coming marriage to the lovely Lily Nellion and that he wished for Crystal to attend-he had actually had moved everyone down to be married here in this Shire so Crystal would not have to go back to Rohan. He wanted Crystal to be there, she was like a sister to him. And maybe she would be his real sister now that Arty was alive.

He came in to the Inn quietly, trying to make his presence unknown. He came up behind Arty and smiled.

"And I thought you were dead," He said loudly. Arty jumped up out of his seat, knowing instantly the voice of his older brother.

"Bartholomew! By all the horses in Rohan, I thought I would have to try to find you too!" Arty exclaimed as he hugged his brother. Crystal's joyful laugh was heard throughout the Inn, giving a bigger lift to the happy occassion.

"I don't care how at this point. I just was coming to tell Crystal that I am getting married here in the Shire," He announced.

"To whom?!" Crystal asked in delight.

"To me," A soft voice answered for him. Crystal turned around and squealed like a young child.

"Lily?!" She exclaimed in excitement. She hugged her old childhood friend.

"I see Dorian didn't hurt you as I had feared," Lily said as Bartholomew pulled up a chair for her and himself.

"He hurt me, but I have recovered. Now he will not be hurting me ever again," Crystal said, "Lily and Bartholomew, this is Isaac and Adu."
Old 06-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #259
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"Farowik Stonewort, is that you?" Jean said as he rose from the table. Peony just sat where she was. She hoped Jean would sit back down so they could finish their conversation.

Once again she looked for Deva; she caught sight of him across the common room. He was having an ale, not much of a surprise to Peony. He saw her and waved merrily, but he made no motion to join her and Jean. Peony looked up to Jean, hoping he would sit back down.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #260
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Ruby and Buttercup

‘Hmmph!’ said Ruby, catching up with Buttercup. ‘I saw you wink at that cheeky Hobbit!’

Buttercup flounced her skirts as she pushed open the doors to the kitchen and gave Ruby a wicked smile. ‘And why shouldn’t I? You know you’re dying to do the same, Miss High-and-mighty!’ Ruby’s cheeks bore two spots of high color as she followed after her friend. Buttercup pulled her into the kitchen quickly, shutting the door firmly behind them. ‘Cheeky, he is,’ she said, laughing at the flummoxed Ruby. ‘I’ll give you that. And puffed up like a big bullfrog during spring courting at The Pool!’ She took Ruby by the hands and twirled the both of them about in a circle.

‘Admit it, though, he’s a fair one to look on. And fun to do a bit of flirting with. We don’t get many of those passing through here, now do we? The local lads are more interested in pipeweed and the bottoms of their flagons and well . . .’

‘And well . . . a lass needs a bit more excitement than that, doesn’t she?’ said Ruby, grinning broadly as she caught her friend’s drift. She opened the cupboard door and brought down a pretty little teapot with a bouquet of Shire flowers painted on it. ‘Here,’ she said, depositing the pot in Buttercup’s hands. ‘You bring the tea to Uien. And mind you she likes honey with it.’

Ruby pushed her curls behind her ears and smoothed her skirt. To the amusement of Buttercup she grabbed the bottle of vanilla and added a small dab of the sweet liquid to each of her wrists. She fetched several bowls on a tray along with a basket of cut bread and a crock of sweet butter. Utensils she piled in a mug, and last, filled a tureen with savory rabbit and taters stew. Calling for one of the other servers to follow her with a large pitcher of ale and more mugs she sailed out the door toward the adventurers’ table.

It was all Buttercup could do to keep up with her. She composed her face as best she could when she came to the table, though one eyebrow crept high on her forehead at her friend’s antics. Ruby was fussing about, seeing to everyone, ladling out generous portions of stew . . . and all the while smiling quite prettily at Falco.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #261
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Dark-Eye

~*~ Discussion Thread Opens Tomorrow - June 5th ~*~

Durelin invites you to look at the discussion thread for the new game:

~*~ Bloodstained Elanor ~*~

Click HERE to view it.

Come play!

Players already in the game are: Amanaduial the archer, Arvedui III, Aylwen Dreamsong, Fordim Hedgethistle, and, of course, Durelin.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-04-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #262
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight

After a little pause, the hobbit lad stood up. "Thank you for your help, miss," he said. "Bingo Cotton, at your service." Twylight's face lit up at the hobbit's little bow. Rummaging in the pocket of her slightly worn cloak, she pulled out the parchment and her writing-rock. Smiling again at his curious look, she wrote,

It is very nice to meet you, Bingo. I'm sorry, but my throat...it hurts and I can't speak at the moment.

To her surprise, Bingo smiled warmly. She had expected some sort of strange look or a polite but hasty good-bye, but he just bowed again.

Oh, no need for such formality. Would you care to join me in the common room for a bit of dinner. That is, if you think Iadarian is all right...

The last bit she added as the hobbit glanced at Iadarian, still sleeping like a baby.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #263
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420! Invitation accepted and an introduction

Bingo's eyes shone at the offer and he smiled widely at her. "I would love to join you for dinner, miss," he said. He looked towards Iadarion, a thoughtful look coming to his face. He trusted the herbs that Master Alwin had given him to work quite well, and even when Iadarion did wake up he would be merely confused. His drunkeness would have left him and he would cause no trouble.

"I think it is quite safe to leave Iadarion," he said, his voice decisive. He moved to the door and opened it, gesturing for her to go through. "After you, miss." She thanked him with a smile and they went to the Common Room.

---------------

Blanco had been watching the seven newcomers with deep curiosity, especially the hobbit he had heard called Falco Boffin, but now his eyes widened alarmingly and he stared not at Falco but at Ruby. "By all the green grass and flowers in my mother's garden, would you look at her, lads!" he said.

Marcho did and frowned in disapproval. "Don't tell me you've found another pretty lass, Blanco."

The hobbit looked quite indignant. "What do you mean, 'found another pretty lass?' I don't find pretty lasses, they just appear." He started suddenly, blushing crimson when he realized what Marcho meant. "Don't be absurd," he said. "Posco can tell you that I've never been in love and I don't make eyes at the lassies." He gestured towards Ruby. "I'm talking about the eyes she's making at him." He rolled his eyes in boyish disgust. "How coquettish!"

"Who taught you that word?" Posco demanded suspiciously, but Blanco merely flashed a smile at him and said, "I'm going over there to see if I can make friends with this Falco Boffin. Don't worry, Posco, you can stay right here where it's nice and safe. Oh, and excuse me, Mister Toby. Marcho will amuse you; don't worry." He sprang to his feet and walked in a direct line to Falco Boffin, stopping before him and thrusting out a hand while winking at the others about the table. "Hallo!" he cried in a loud voice. "My name is Blanco Brandybuck; at your service, sir."
Old 06-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #264
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

From under his halo of fragrant smoke, Alwin kept one eye on the doings in the Inn. Jack’s attention was focused on the second helping of apple tart, he noted and much ado was being made about the group that had come in just recently. ‘Interesting lot,’ he thought to himself. ‘Odd mixture though. Elf, Men, and Hobbit.’ He chuckled a little to himself at a sudden thought. ‘Well, perhaps not so odd, after all,’ he thought bringing up stories he’d heard in Minas Tirith from the Great War. ‘All they need is a Dwarf of some sort.’ He sighed, moving himself into a more comfortable position on the seat of his chair.

Jack looked up asking if there were something he needed, but Alwin said no and thank-you for the offer. ‘These old bones are getting a bit stiff just sitting here.’ Jack set down his spoon, asking if he could fetch the old man’s packet of herbs. He’d seen him use a pinch of some powder at times to ease the pain from too long a day on the road.

‘No, no. You just finish your sweet. Don’t mind me! I just need to get up and walk about a bit.’ He stood up from the table, nodding toward the group who’d come in. ‘I’ll go see who these adventurers are. Come join me if you wish, when you’re done.’

Buttercup passed near, carrying a pitcher of ale for the adventurers’ table. They’d been joined by another Hobbit or two and the atmosphere about the group was merry. ‘Mistress Buttercup,’ the old man said, reaching out to touch her on the shoulder. ‘I should very much like to meet those fellows and hear their stories. If I may, let me walk with you. And if you would, please introduce me.’ The serving lass slowed her step to let Alwin fall in beside her.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:16 AM   #265
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight

"I would love to join you for dinner, miss," Bingo said after a pause. While leaving the room, he held the door open for her. Twylight couldn't help but be pleased, and she hoped her smile told him so.

Out in the common room, a large group of people were gathered around the group of seven that had walked in the door right after Iadarion's drunken incident. Finding an empty table where they could see and hear most of what the group was saying, they both scanned the room for the serving maids. They both spotted them at the same time: one (the one who had helped Twylight arrange her room) was standing and talking with one of the hobbits of the group. The other was walking over with another hobbit to join the group with bowls of what looked like a nice thick soup. The aroma coming from the bowls was mouth-watering.

"Would you look at that!" Bingo said, rolling his eyes. Wondering what in the world he was on about, Twylight waited for him to continue. "Why am I not surprised that Blanco is over ther like a shot?" Twylight turned around to see a hobbit pulled up to his full height loudly say, "Hallo! my name is Blanco Brandybuck; at your service, sir." Turning back from the table to face Twylight, he shook his head. "Always ready to be the center of attention. His twin, Posco, thinks he is overly social. Ah, well."

Posco...Blanco...are these people traveling with you? Are you all related? What brings you to the Green Dragon?

He laughed. "I don't suppose you'll be satified until I tell you my story, eh?" Twylight blushed. "All right then. I will tell you, though I don't suppose Marcho will approve... "
Old 06-05-2004, 07:46 AM   #266
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! The Party of Seven

"Falowik Stonewort, is that you?" Falowik started and turned to look. A man stood, having pushed back his chair, just two tables over. Falowik could not remember having seen the man before, but it was clear that the man recognized him. From Bree? The settlement at Evendim? Not likely - he would remember that! Must be from Bree, he supposed, and more than twelve years ago.

Uien and Falowik exchanged a quick glance; Uien's look was of curiosity. Falowik shrugged to her and turned.

It was a noisy table, and Falowik pitched his untried voice higher and louder than he was used to doing. "Yes, it is I, Falowik. Forgive me, friend, except for this past month, I have been in the wilds for twelve years. I wish I could say that I remember you!"
"Psh, good sir, a rest?" said Aman, fair Innkeeperess from Rohan. "You are near bursting with news! To let you impart it to me - indeed, to all of us - well, I would merely be doing you a favour. Come, good sirs and madams, tell us of your adventures since you vanished those months ago?"

Eodwine started at Aman, agape. "Has it been months? I was afraid it was so. I lost track of the time." Eodwine looked about at the hubbub of servers and old acquaintances becking and calling from here and there, and smiled at the chaos. "You may recall that I rode west out of town."

Aman nodded. "And your horse came back without you not three days hence!"

"Aye. Lucky for me my steed has such good sense! Not to mention the fine caretaking of this fine inn!"

At this point Ruby and Buttercup bustled out with the fixings for supper, and started making the rounds of the seven hungry and thirsty adventurors.

"It may be told now-" Eodwine called out over the bustle, but Aman raised a hand and laughed.

"Hold your tale for a little while, Master Eodwine, and be served. I'm sure that the whole great room will want to hear this tale in a short while."

Eodwine bowed and smiled, sitting down. "As you wish, Lady Aman."
Falco grinned. Ah, it was good to have all this bustle about again! There came the two serving lasses from the kitchen, ready with good stew and strong drink! They both had high color in their pretty faces, and Falco beamed at them. Buttercup was trying to keep up with the other. What was her name? Ah, yes, Ruby! Just like the color in her cheeks! Falco smiled at her, and well this was a good day, was getting a smile back! Ruby had big eyes!

"Greetings, fair lass! It is good to see you again! You look as well as ever I have seen!"

"Thank you, Mr. Boffin, kind of you to say so." Ruby smiled and laid a bowl and spoon before him, and ladeled out the stew.

"Now don't be talking so formal with me, Ruby, you must call me Falco." What was that? Falco sniffed something pleasant on the air. It was Ruby, sweet as you please. "It's good to be back among good food, great ale, and fair faces!"

Ruby moved on to Uien, still smiling. "Oh, you are so full of talk, Falco, as you always have been!" Her charming eyes bounced from her task to his eyes.

"I've a bowl of hot stew to keep my mouth busy for a little while, but my eyes will be following you, pretty Ruby!"

"Tch! Such talk!" Ruby giggled, and moved to serve Falowik.

Gorby said to Anson, "Fancy that! She passes right by you and me though we're closer to the kitchen, and serves old Falco here first!"

Anson nodded glumly. "It looks like we'll have to settle for the dregs tonight."

"Now mind your words!" Ruby said from across the table. "There are no dregs of any kind at the Green Dragon! You'll get as good as any other here, and most like better than what you can get back home! Just a minute longer and I'll be over to you!"

"Forgive my hasty words!" Anson grinned. He was rewarded with the plunk of a big mug from Buttercup's hand, and brown ale poured before his wide eyes and growing smile. "My thanks, lass!"

Buttercup smiled and moved on to Gorby.

Finëwen sat and watched everything in silence. What did any of this have to do with her? She did not know. But she had told Eodwine that she would travel with him to Rohan. Why not? There was nothing else for her, a human raised in Imladris, with no desire to return there. She wished that she could join in the mirth of the rest of them, but felt that she had not really been a part of them at any time, no matter what they said to assure her. She sighed and accepted the bowl of stew placed before her. It smelled good, and she realized that she had an appetite.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 06-05-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:32 PM   #267
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
She was suprised to see so many people from her past. Adu remembered Arty and was so glad to see him again. "Crystal, have you heard anything from Hama? I'm worried about him." Adu had a feeling that something had happened to him.

Adu didn't need to have Isaac's love she had Hama to worry about now. Nothing was going to keep her from Hama. "Good evening Ms. Lily." Adu couldn't believe how much Crystal's brother had grown. She could remember when he two was just a child. Adu then stood in the shadows until the death of Crystal's mother. But that was then, it was all in the past now.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:36 PM   #268
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Willow shook her head. That had been an interesting encounter, she was sure that she had met the dwarf before. She turned over to Lily, who was now talking. Willow caught a question in Lily's words, though she hadn't really been listening, something about the strangest person she had ever met.

"Oh," Willow said softly. "I haven't really met too many strange people, Lily... I have met other dwarves before, and... well..." Willow smiled shyly, strange to her. "Well, I suppose the strangest people I have ever met, before I came here, were the elves. They are so different from us, you know. I really cannot say that I have met many strange people, beyond myself, as I am rather strange, in a manner." Willow grinned slightly, and caught herself before she started coughing again, bending over with slight pain. She grimaced. "I think we had best be moving on, as we did come out here to walk." she commented, trying to hold back a flinch. Something she had ate wasn't exactly agreeing with her, or else she was coming down with a cold, Willow guessed.

Willow shivered, but didn't exactly want to head back in. She took the lead, walking over around the inn, and tucking her cape closer around her. The day was starting to draw in a chill to it, though the rain was gone. She could hear the other two hobbits following her, beside her. "Dim is in interesting character," she continued. "But then, some strangeness is all right to have, as where would be be if we were all the same?"

The girl smiled, and looked over at the other two. "You see what I mean?" she asked.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #269
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Archsage Isaac has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Archsage Isaac
Isaac's Gift...

Isaac sat back in his chair and looked at the others. Crystal, Arty, Bartholomew, Lily and Adu. After several moments a smile was brought to his face. The rest of the group had seemed to completely forget about Isaac. Look at them, so happy to be reunited... Why am I here? I don't belong here, I never did, especially not with Adu. She was right to move on, and now I have to as well... he thought, his smile quickly turned to a sad expression. One of sorrow, calm and serene but sorrowful.

He looked at Adu once again. Without another word he grabbed hold of the pendant around his neck and took it off. A large sapphire adorned it's gold chain. It was his prized possession, his only real possession other than the sword at his side. Out of his pocked he pulled a piece of parchment that he'd wrote a note on the previous night.

Isaac carefully wrapped the pendant in the parchment and tied it with a string that he pulled from around his wrist. Exhaling deeply, he placed the gift in front of Adu. She looked at it and then at him. At first she seemed confused, but then she seemed to understand.

Isaac stood and cleared his throat, getting the attention of the group. "I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly, but I must be going. Crystal, Arty, Bartholomew, Lily, Aduthondiel, I wish you nothing but happiness in your future." he said. He bowed deeply, picked up his travel-bag and slung it over his shoulder all in one motion. He slowly walked over to the doors and stopped. "Goodbye, my friends." he said just before exiting the inn.

He began to walk back down the path that had led him there. The early evening air was calm but it chilled Isaac to his bones. It started to hurt his throat to even breathe, but he soon adjusted. He drew his cape up and over his mouth and nose, leaving only his eyes exposed. He stopped and looked back at the inn. He half-expected Adu to try and get him to stay, but she wasn't there. He chuckled lightly at his own foolishness. With a heavy sigh he continued walking down the path. "Back to the road with me," he said, "back to being nothing more than a lonely wanderer." Isaac didn't turn back again. He'd second-guessed his actions enough for one lifetime, he wasn't going to anymore. With a renewed sense of direction and strength, he continued his path. A path of loneliness, a path that he must walk alone...

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 06-07-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:12 PM   #270
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Tolkien

Finëwen started to eat her soup, for she could not recall the last time she had eaten. Surely it wasn't that long ago, but then again, the whole trip seemed to her a blur. Stopping only to take an occasional sip of wine, Finëwen enjoyed watching the others talk. There seemed to be a merrier mood in the bunch now. Reunions between Eodwine and those he knew from long ago seemed to be the merriest.

Finëwen smiled occasionally at something the hobbits would say, or how Eodwine reacted to someone he had not seen in awhile. But what interested her was watching the other people around the inn, for she had seen the same people for most of the journey, except a few others that tagged along with them. Despite the fact that she enjoyed the company of the others (even if she didn't say much), Finëwen was tired, and looked forward to sleeping in a bed tonight.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #271
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Party of Seven

"Ahh," said Falco, patting his belly, "three bowls of stew and three mugs of ale to go with 'em. Now that's what I call good Shire fair and better portions!"

Gorby and Anson grinned, having followed Falco's example to the final swallow.

Falco turned to Eodwine. "And now, Master Eodwine, I think it's time for that tale. And you can be sure that we'll be quick to fill in any details you've missed!"

Eodwine grinned, feeling quite full himself from two bowls, and working on his second mug of ale. "I am happy enough that the Master of Brandy Hall saw fit to pay you well for your services, not leasting of finding me! Else we'd be beggars this night!"

Word spread that the tale would be told, and even the kitchen staff filled the doorway to get an ear of it. Aman came out and sat in the eighth chair around the table. The Great Room quieted, and Eodwine began.

"It is no longer a secret that I was lent to King Elessar by my own lord, King Eomer. You may have heard the rumors that surveyors and builders were sent from Gondor to the Hills of Evendim, to see what could be done to rebuild Fornost and Annuminas on the Lake. Four years in a row, no report came back from Evendim, not even one soul. All the builders were never heard from again. So I, not being of Gondor, was sent north to see what I could learn.

"On a day in mid summer, I road out of Bywater and left the Great Road, heading north over open country. It was not long before I was beyond the settled realms of the Shire. And not long after that, close to the Hills, I was of a sudden surrounded by two dozen and more men, and taken prisoner, but my horse escaped. They beat me and crushed my lyre, and took me, bound hand in foot, to a settlement along the shores of Lake Evendim.

"But before I was taken away from that place, I saw a wild wanderer hiding in the brush - our faces were no farther apart than Gorby's there across the table from me. And I begged him with my eyes to do something to aid me. I did not know if he did anything at all, and I confess that I did not count on it, and so made matters worse for myself than I had need to.

"For Falowik Stonewort here, was that wanderer, and he came straightway to the outskirts of the Shire, and reported what he had seen."

Falco interrupted. "I admit that I did not believe Falowik at first, not until I came to the Green Dragon Inn, where this man of Rohan that I thought Falowik had dreamed up, had been seen and heard of, and they had his horse. I return the tale to you, Master Eodwine!"

"I was made a slave, along with more than a hundred other men at the settlement. These men, as it turned out, were the very same surveyors and builders that had been sent north by Elessar. Not all were still accounted for, and ugly rumors there were as to what happened to some of them. We were made to farm the fields of their Master, and to husband their cattle, getting very little gain from it ourselves, for they almost starved us.

"There came a day when I lost hope and ran away from the settlement, only to be caught before I'd passed over the first hill, partly from my own weakness. My captors decided that I must pay the worst price, and be sent north to the Master."

"Who is this Master out of the north?" asked Aman.

"Was, more like, for he is no more, but that gets ahead of my tale. He called himself Herugor, an Elvish sounding name, which I am told meant something akin to 'lord of horror'. That title was true enough. But I have not yet told you who he was. He was the Dark Lord's Lieutenant of Barad-dur, and he was known to us who were at the Battle of the Morannon in the War of the Ring. He was called the 'Mouth of Sauron'."

The name brought a hush, for even though that Dark Lord was no more, his evil Ring destroyed, his name was not spoken lightly.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #272
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420! A light in the eye....

"Blanco and Posco there are not related to me in any way at all. Blanco met up with me one day and was so very kind and introduced himself to me at invited me to his house for tea. I met Posco later. Marcho is a relative of theirs who I did not meet until just a few days ago. Blanco and Posco left to visit their aunt -isn't that so kind of them? They always were kind- and Marcho went with them, and Blanco decided to take me along. It was most gracious of him to invite me, and his aunt is so very kind. When she corrects one when one does something wrong she does it in a very good-natured manner. Blanco and Posco are so very patient about her corrections as well."

His eyes travelled to the table of the seven newcomers where Blanco now stood and he smiled fondly in that direction. "Blanco is one of the kindest people I know," he said. "He is always so very friendly to everyone, even to me, just a little fool at most times. It delights me to see the way he goes to befriend all people. Posco is also very kind, though he is rather shy. Marcho, too, looks upon everyone with a good eye. I have never seen him disapproving or annoyed, though Blanco often says he is." He paused and reflected upon this. "Yet I don't think Blanco would ever tell a lie, so I conclude that he is merely joking when he says this."

Marcho was sitting not far away and he heard Bingo's words. He started and gazed at the young hobbit in complete awe, as he had done many times since he had met Bingo. Never, ever had he heard Bingo speak an unkind word to or of anyone. Marcho knew he was annoyed often and almost always disapproving of everything, and it was a stark impossibility the way Bingo never noticed it. He gazed into Bingo's eyes and saw a light in them, the light that he looked at everyone in... a sweet, friendly light, a light full of trusting and kindness and innocence, a light that showed that the lad thought of nothing but supreme goodness in everyone and of no evil.

We're stark opposites, that's what we are, he thought with some regret. Bingo can't help but see everything as being good and pure, even the things that aren't. And even the good things I see as being wicked and annoying. Bingo has such innocence. Ignorant little fool. But there I go again! I think at innocence in a dark light and think of it as foolishness and ignorance. If anyone were ever foolish Bingo would not blame them for it, but he would attribute it to perhaps drunkeness, and if he knew the one was responsible for their foolishness he would smile sweetly and forgive them patiently. As for ignorance he would smile the same sweet, innocent smile and say, 'It is a pity that one was never instructed better, but does it really matter, Marcho, that he is ignorant when his heart is full of goodness?' And to him every heart would be full of goodness. Why, I doubt if he could find evil in Sharkey himself, or in the 'Dark Lord' that Falco Boffin spoke of.

Bingo was continuing in his charitable words about his friends, and Marcho shook his head. Bingo never ceased in his repetitive use of the word 'kind.' How difficult it would be to always refrain from sharp words, to never gain the satisfaction of saying something bitter against one who annoyed you. Yet Bingo was always satisfied. And Marcho... he always spoke sharp words and he was never satisfied. The more often he spoke unkindly the more dissatisfied he became. Bingo was always at peace with himself and all the word, always smiling in that naive, charming way and always speaking kindly of all.

"And so," Bingo continued, "in conclusion, for I am sure I have rambled on long enough, Blanco, Posco, and Marcho are the best friends I have ever had in my life and the kindest hobbits I have ever met. I know they'll delight you when you meet them and you will see why I call them kind. You are very kind yourself, Miss Twylight, to invite me to dine with you."
Old 06-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #273
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Their walk had led them around towards the back of the Inn. The weather was getting chillier, and Lily was starting to feel cold, even with her cloak wrapped tightly around her. She was ready to head back insided and warm herself by the fire with a hot cup of tea.

"You see what I mean?" asked Willow.

"Yes, indeed," said Lily. "There is nothing wrong with strangeness - in fact, some of the most interesting people are also the strangest." Lily turned subtlely back towards the path, intending to make a full circle around the Inn before heading back inside.

Willow coughed, and Lily wondered if she was feeling all right. Mira was quiet, seeming content to listen to the conversation rather than take part. They had almost completed their circuit of the Inn when Lily again spoke up.

"I'm ready to head back inside. If you two would prefer to stay out a while longer, that's all right with me, but I am in desperate need of warming up." She headed off for the Inn, half hoping they would follow but not wanting them to cut short their own walk because of her.

Warmth greeted her at the door way, and she headed inside to get a cup of tea and see what awaited her there.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:04 AM   #274
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan stirred from his sleep, a little irritated that Lady Aman had not turned up. He went to the window and opened it, inhaling the fresh shire air. He had been thinking when he was drifting off what he would do in the Shire, if Lady Aman felt the way about him that Bredan hoped then he surly would stay with her and help with the inn, but if not then he would be stuck, no possessions and no job. He thought of all the things that he held talent in, sword fighting and archery, he was ok at riding a horse but that was about it. He decided that he would wait no longer, it was time for him to confront Aman.

As he went to get his boots he saw from the corner of his eye a note by the door. He picked it up and lay on the bed opening it up, it turned out Lady Aman had come and caught Bredan in deep sleep, that was the first bit of proper sleep Bredan had had in a long time, and it was probably for the best, he wanted all his wits about him for Lady Aman, it’s what she deserved after the way Bredan had acted. His thoughts went again to Snaveling, there was something there that Bredan knew was important to him, but he did not know.

Bredan walked toward the table in the room and poured some water from the jug, he went back to what had become his favourite view, the Shire landscape, the green grass seemed to ebb and flow like water, occasionally spurting up yellow reflections of the sun. He remembered the attack that had happened on him not far from the Green Dragon, if he could borrow a horse he planned to find and ambush the wild men, he would get back his possessions and many more he thought. But first he would talk with Lady Aman.

Bredan pushed his new rested feet into his old boots and walked out the door, just as he was about to shut the door he decided that he would leave as soon as possible, and went to put on his sword and cape, finished he marched down stairs, he was now on a mission. As Bredan entered the common room he smelt instantly the smell of stew, it was the best he had ever smelt. Bredan’s eyes scanned the room and he saw Lady Aman, she was gathered by many around a group of people he had never seen before, seeing in his eyes that Aman did not see to be to involved in the conversation he softly walked up to her to not interrupt the man speaking, and knelt to Aman’s ear.

“May I have a word my Lady?” Bredan whispered.

His nose was now full of the scent of Lady Aman other than the stew, and Bredan knew which was the fairer scent to him.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:38 AM   #275
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Familiar Faces

Uien had been quiet since first nearing the Inn and Falowik gracious in allowing her her thoughts. His presence by her reassured her that indeed she was back at the Inn. How odd time was. Had she really been away for as long as it felt she had. The sight of Aman had cheered her beyond measure, and it showed in Uien's fond embrace of the Innkeeper that had taken her in only months ago. Only months, Uien mused, and so much had happened. She looked to Falowik, alive and filled with the joy of the moment, trading smiles and comments, quipping even with Falco Boffin. Yes, much had happened indeed and Uien felt close to bursting with it all. Buttercup emerged, all bustle and business and not short of a quick retort, just as Uien recalled. Ruby followed soon after. Cook would be in the kitchen, muttering about absconded stable hands. Uien caught sight of the formidible woman at the kitchen door, peering for herself at their busy table. Uien smiled and lifted a hand. Cook nodded and smiled a little herself before the stove called her back.

Eodwine was in fine form, regaling all who would listen with events. Falco was chipping in, not one to be left out of any conversation (including ones that may not involve him). He did indeed seemed changed and Uien found herself warming to the Shirriff. Finewin seemed quiet herself, but she was a woman who kept her own counsel or so Uien believed. As the events surrounding Eodwine's abduction and rescue were told, Uien tried to anchor herself in the moment. Her hand crept to Falowik's and curled around it. She unobtrusively continued her search for the familiar faces that had come to mean so much to her. She was struck by one absence. Where was the Stable Master?

"Something amiss, Uien," Falowik whispered quietly in her ear. Uien shook her head, "No," she replied and fell silent. She would ask Aman when she had the chance. Oh, but did they all look well and hale, Uien realised as she looked about the table once more. Fire light on smiling faces, no shadow of doubt or fear or suspicion. Eyes bright with curious interest, merriment.... peace. Uien never had thought to feel so at rest surrounded as she was by kindreds not her own, Men and Hobbits. As Eodwine skirted around the identity of the malice responsible for his attack, the conversation lulled somewhat and facts were absorbed. There was a lot in this telling, and more to be said than had been spoken already.

Uien's gaze came back to Falowik, who was in his own turn sipping at an earthen tankard of ale. Yes, much had changed indeed and again the sensation of being filled to bursting with all manner of lightness spun through her mind and whispered over her face. Falowik must have noticed her steady, regard, lips curved into a smile. He looked at her in askance, an answering smile lighting his golden features, question in his blue eyes. Perhaps he would walk with her beneath the stars they had met under a little later. She squeezed his hand and decided to ask when the full telling had unfolded.

But the exchange of expressions between the two, Man and Elf, had not gone unnoticed. Uien discovered Aman was grinning softly at her from across the table, and a telling faint rose blush came to Uien's cheeks. Between that, her smile and the own brilliance of her star-dark gaze, the matter was clear between the two women. That too would come later, perhaps even tonight if all went well beneath the stars. Uien shifted a little closer to Falowik and returned her attention to what was being spoken around the table.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 06-08-2004, 07:58 AM   #276
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Twylight

"Blanco and Posco there are not related to me in any way at all. Blanco met up with me one day and was so very kind and introduced himself to me at invited me to his house for tea. I met Posco later. Marcho is a relative of theirs who I did not meet until just a few days ago. Blanco and Posco left to visit their aunt -isn't that so kind of them? They always were kind- and Marcho went with them, and Blanco decided to take me along. It was most gracious of him to invite me, and his aunt is so very kind. When she corrects one when one does something wrong she does it in a very good-natured manner. Blanco and Posco are so very patient about her corrections as well," Bingo said. He continued to tell Twylight about how kind everyone was. She listened raptly as he told her about Marcho's, Blanco's, and Posco's stronger personality points. However, he omitted not a word about anyone's faults.

When Bingo glanced over toward the table of seven, Twylight looked around the Inn also. She spotted an older looking hobbit sitting not too far away, staring into his cup, his ear cocked to one side. When the conversation stopped, he glanced over surreptitiously. Twylight caught his eye and started to smile warmly, but stopped at the look of -- of self-loathing. She started and looked away quickly.

"And so," Bingo continued, "in conclusion, for I am sure I have rambled on long enough, Blanco, Posco, and Marcho are the best friends I have ever had in my life and the kindest hobbits I have ever met. I know they'll delight you when you meet them and you will see why I call them kind. You are very kind yourself, Miss Twylight, to invite me to dine with you." Twylight blushed slightly, but she didn't think that Bingo noticed.

Would you please introduce me to your companions? I would love to meet them after all of the wonderful things you said about them! Perhaps we could all dine together?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #277
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

"Why, yes!" Bingo cried, a delighted smile breaking over his features as he stood. "Do come with me, Miss Twylight, and I will introduce you to Marcho and Posco." She stood and followed him to the fireplace. Bingo first took Marcho's hand, helping him to his feet and presenting him before Twylight. "Marcho, this is Twylight, who has been very kind to me in helping with the poor drunk man," he said.

Marcho felt himself slipping into a suspicious gaze as he bowed a little stiffly to the woman of the Big Folk. Kind indeed! Bingo's word was nothing. This woman could be as evil as the night itself and Bingo would still introduce her as kind. She had held out a scrap of parchment; he took it and read: Pleased to meet you, Marcho. What was this? Why couldn't she just speak? Maybe she couldn't. Maybe she was a mute. More than likely she could speak but she was just putting an act on to gain pity and sympathy.

"Posco, this is Twylight.... and Twylight, this is Blanco's twin brother, Posco Brandybuck."

She was doing the same thing to him: writing him a message. Posco was reading it and smiling shyly up at her. At least he was barbarically rude in all his shyness as Blanco was. The only way Blanco ever made any friends was if he was lucky enough to introduce himself to someone who didn't mind an overly-sociable hobbit lad. Posco could draw people around him because he was shy but still friendly. Bingo could attract anyone. Where did he find that woman, anyway? She was probably making friends with them to steal all their money. He was sure of it.

Marcho settled down into his chair again with a scowl. They would dine together, Bingo was saying, but they would leave Blanco to his new friends. Well, if they dined together he could find out just what this woman wanted with them. It was better to have Bingo close by as well, where he could protect him.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #278
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
SAVED for re-worked post.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-08-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #279
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Post Moved to Following Page.

Kransha - please leave this post space as a space holder.

Thanks,

Pio, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-08-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #280
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Fredgar Hornblower – local Shiriff from Hobbiton – played by Fool of a Took

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

No violence is allowed in the Inn or on Inn grounds.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.