The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting Differences and Similarities

I need a bunch of differences and similarities between Theoden and Denethor. The facts can't go farther than the fifth chapter(when the Riders of Rohan finally reach Gondor) in RotK, though.

It's some info I need in order to do my homework. There's no place better than the
B-D forums to find the right stuff! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Similarities- Whew, hard. Basically none, except they're both old guys who love their son(s).
Differences- T is good-hearted, doesn't try to trap people with words, Denethor is shrewd, is suspicious of life in general.
Post more later [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 07:08 PM   #3
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Thanks Izzy! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Why can't anyone else think of anything? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Well, one similarity is that they were both rendered incapable of properly defending their people. In Denethor's case, this was caused by despair at the strength of the enemy facing him, fuelled by his use of the Palantir which exposed him to Sauron's deceits. In Theoden's case, he was seduced into inaction by Wormtongue's words. The difference, of course, is that Gandalf was able to rouse Theoden from inaction, whereas Denethor's despair only deepened.

So, I suppose you could say that attempts were made by the enemy to neutralise both of them (and therefore their armies) - Theoden by Saruman through Wormtongue and Denethor by Sauron through the Palantir.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:25 AM   #5
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

One major (and obvious) difference is that Theoden was a King, while Denethor was only a Steward.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:34 AM   #6
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They both had sons killed by suprise Orc attacks. Sorry all i could think of atm. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2003, 07:23 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! This is a topic that is in my head quite often!

I only have the obvious similarities, Im afraid.

1) This only works if Theoden's wife is dead (I dont know who she is or where she is)
But if she is dead, they both have dead wives, as well as a dead son.

2) They both despise/despised Gandalf (if Im correct on Theoden's part.)

3) I can't remember any more.

I also included Elrond in my little circle.
Three ME leaders, each without a wife. Seems to be part of the job.

"Wanted. Leader for kingdom. Must kill wife before applying."
Old 04-09-2003, 08:21 AM   #8
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Despite their similarities, both having a wife who died young, both worn down by war, both losing a son in battle and both under subtle evil influence from Wormtongue and the Palantir, Denethor and Theoden were very different characters.

The culture of Gondor was sophisticated, literate and very aware of its long history. Rohan was a relatively new small nation, keeping no account of its history except in song. Its people saw only immediate need and its pride was in its horses and its skill in arms, not in the achievement of past generations of scholars and builders.
In war, the King of Rohan was expected to lead his army; in Gondor the Steward was expected to direct and control his armies through others, as Denethor did, employing the young Aragorn (under another name).

Denethor was raised to be a man of thought and study, Theoden a man of action. To Theoden, war ment a cavalry charge and swift death or victory. To Denathor, it ment long-term planning of strategy and carefully thought-out tactics.
Once free of Wormtongue, Theoden could, with Gandalf's support, respond to changing circumstances but Denethor, prideful and burdened by the weight of thousands of years of cultural history, was much less addaptable, much more set in his view of the world and much more resistant to taking the advice of others, especially Gandalf.

[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: Selmo ]
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Denethor didn't employ Thorongil, did he? thought it was his father, Ecthelion.

(sorry, kinda random post...)
Old 04-09-2003, 08:39 AM   #10
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sorry.

Yes, it was Denethor's farther who Thorongil (Aragorn) served. Denethor saw him as a rival.

It was ok for the sons of Stewards to be field commanders, risking their lives in defence of Gondor. Denethor proved himself to by an able Captain of men in his youth, out-done only by Aragorn. It was only after Denethor became Steward that he took on the task of planning and directing, remaining in Minas Tirith.

I disagree with Grounds-Keeper-Willie's comment that Denethor was "only a Steward".
Being the Steward of Gondor ment very much more than being King of any other nation.

[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: Selmo ]
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:27 AM   #11
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I did not mean that a steward was less of a job or anything. I did not say that a steward of Gondor didn't mean very much more than being King of any other nation. I was speaking in terms of royalty, and you can see how a steward has just as much responsibilities (or more) as a king does, but still it is not king. It' hard to explain this, but I hope you understand what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #12
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I'd say that any similarities seem to deal more with physical things, while the differences have more to do with personality.