The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Happy Birthday J.R.R. Tolkien!

Happy birthday to the man who thought of it all! He is the reason why we are all on this forum, delighting in the never ending journey through Middle-earth.

How will you celebrate/acknowledge this grand day? I plan on reading a chapter or two from The Lord of the Rings, of course, and I have already watched The Fellowship. I also hope to raise a glass of champagne or wine in his honor!

Long live Middle-earth! Happy birthday Tolkien!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My friend is coming over today and maybe I can convince her to have a LotR marathon with me! We could have a tea party!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
To those who aren't familiar with the custom - Tolkien fans all over the world pause at 9 pm (their own local time) to toast him. It is customary to lift one's glass (with a drink of your choice - alcohol is not necessary) and say "The Professor". You can read more about it here.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sweet. My sister and I will have to see about that...Maybe Mom'll let us open a bottle of sparkling apple cider for dinner and we'll save some for afterwards...

Otherwise, I don't think I'm doing anything special - except continuing to read the biography my brother gave me for Christmas about Tolkien. It's a good book. Tolkien was a very interesting chap.

-- Folwren
Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
To those who aren't familiar with the custom - Tolkien fans all over the world pause at 9 pm (their own local time) to toast him. It is customary to lift one's glass (with a drink of your choice - alcohol is not necessary) and say "The Professor". You can read more about it here.
I guess this was posted about time (and that I read it about time). So, The Professor!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, I just was over at a friends place and TTT was on TV and I of course starting yelling "For Theoden!" as the riders left the Hornburg.
Still, the others agreed.

That was I guess our way to celebrate it, I actually totally forgot, but still I'll try to remember next year...