The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #481
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Lal the cakey ones are american.

The Americans call English Muffins the ones they use in the mc Muffin.

I like hte lancashire ones but they are a regional thing.. but tescos sell em and I like them.. but the english ones are best... oozing with butter and honey.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #482
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Getting into all the classes I wanted. I didn't get into the feminist theology class I wanted to take, but I'm taking a Civil War/Reconstruction class instead and will work on my history major instead of general requirements. I am elated, relieved, and can't seem to write my last Spanish paragraph. And I have to study yet, too!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #483
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I assign my most small and humble milestone of 500 posts on The Downs I hope I'll make quite a few more!

I also assign the chance to prove to a family friend I can, in fact, cook dinner without burnng the kitchen down! I'll let you all know how that goes

Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #484
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
I assign finishing the Iliad. It was long and violent, and I inched through it at a sluggish pace, but now I'm finally done, after a month or two. Yay.

I also assign starting and completing your posterboard for your school presentation in one day. It was stressful and I had to reprint everything twice, but now it's finished!

So in general, I assign finishing any hard task.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:27 AM   #485
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Oh Lal the cakey ones are american.

The Americans call English Muffins the ones they use in the mc Muffin.

I like hte lancashire ones but they are a regional thing.. but tescos sell em and I like them.. but the english ones are best... oozing with butter and honey.
I like all of the varieties.

In fact, seeing as it is Friday, I might go and get a bacon buttie (on a proper Lanky muffin) from the canteen - those butties truly belong in The Shire, which is why I normally avoid them, as they are addictive.

And another thing for The Shire, crumpets oozing with butter.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Old 04-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #486
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Mmm, bacon butties . . . now I know what I want for lunch! Thanks Lal

Keeping on with food, I assign chocolate gateau, so nice!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #487
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
How about assigning all the half-priced chocolate leftover from Easter in most big retail stores? I know it's not easter anymore, but you can get a rather big chocolate bunny for about 97 cents. That's about a whole day pigging out in chocolate.... for 97 cents!! I'm half wishing to get depressed so that I get an excuse to cheer myself up with all that chocolate.

Yes, some guys (or is it just me?) like to eat chocolate when they are sad. And happy. And caught between either way. I love chocolate, it belongs on the shire.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #488
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign endorphins. (sp?)
Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #489
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

On that same thought, I assign chocolate milkshakes!

They have a magical ability to help motivate me to do a long-avoided task, which is another thing assigned!

*perouses more job ads whilst sipping on the last of her milkshake*

Tara
Old 04-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #490
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the sort of long phone conversations that leave your ear warm and your heart fluttering, your voice tired and breaking and a cool shiver on the back of your neck. Talking about everything and nothing for hours, planning for this summer, discussing everything from adrenoleukodystrophy to sky diving to funny movies to Shakespeare and your opinions of interpretation.

I assign unexpected praise from people for whom you have much respect. Non-academic projects with professors. When ideas turn out better than you could have hoped.

I assign contented smiles and lazing about in pj pants on a Friday night when you didn't really want to go out clubbing.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #491
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign lazy profs who give take home exams for Calculus, to be passed after a three-day weekend.

EDIT: On second thought, I just assign the take home exams and not the lazy profs.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 04-29-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #492
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Oh, Fea! I totally agree with you about the phone conversations. The ones that last until one or two, and hours are spent saying goodbye because neither of you want them to end...I used to talk to Neal sitting on the rug in the bathroom, because I was living at home and that was the only way to wake no one up. Days my sister went to a friend's were awesome...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #493
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The nights all of your friends are out and you get some alone time... several straight hours of being the only person in your room. Midnight yoga and poptarts at 1:00 AM. Being able to talk on that phone for hours without people hearing every word that you say. Snuggling under blankets and realizing that it's actually warm enough not to need them.

That's something that gets its own assignation paragraph... being warm. In general, I'm consistently cold from about October until May. I loathe being cold. I'm fool enough to wear flipflops year round and pair a winter coat with a pair of shorts because I'm in too much of a hurry to pull on a pair of jeans, but I really don't like being cold. Falling asleep at night with no more covers than a light blanket and waking up to a blue sky and warm sun streaming through the window absolutely makes my day.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #494
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
And another thing for The Shire, crumpets oozing with butter.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Ooh my Dad calls 'em pikelets but he's from Brum originally.

I assign the fact that I live somewhere that is very Shirelike at this time of the year - tha May is out a day or so early and so are my bluebells... I love this time of the year with the evenings drawing out.

And I assign to their prefered part of Middle Earth someone who yesterday was a still voice of calm in a rather bleak evening .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #495
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Finally having my driver's license.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #496
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Finally having a driver's license in my married name. Just looking at it, with my picture and address and MY name, Jennifer Elaine L--. Beautiful.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #497
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Days spent off campus, away from all the stress and irritating people. Especially when you get to spend 5 hours looking at horses. And during the breed demos, they brought out miniature horses, and some of the mares had foals! They were about 20 inches tall and when they were let loose, none of the people could catch them!

Also, evenings when my roomate is gone and I can listen to cheesy country music and not feel incredibly lame.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #498
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Relating to one of my previous assignments, proving to people I can cook!

I also assign curries. Maybe not part of a traditional hobbit diet, but they're tasty!

I also assign making small victories in figuring out Photoshop & ImageReady, and making cute little avatars!

Tara
Old 04-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #499
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign when days out are thoroughly pleasant and you get home and go to sleep at about 9pm because you are so tired!

I'll also assign Lincoln because it was also thoroughly pleasant, quick on the train, had loads of dusty second hand bookshops, and the Cathedral was worth paying to go and visit - last time I went I wouldn't go in because of having to pay for entrance, but its the 'norm' now to pay to go in the oldest cathedrals, and its well worth it. You even get to muck around and pretend to be in a Harry Potter film because they have cloisters, where you can also sit and have a nice cream cake and a pot of tea. I had a chat with a priest about digital cameras, and the woman at the castle was friendly and didn't chase us as we nosed through the gatehouse because we didn't have time to go in and look round.

The supposedly ridiculously steep hill, cunningly titled Steep Hill, was not as steep as my own street, and they also have a medieval bridge with shops built on it.

I also assign the fact that the cherry tree and the clematis right outside my house is finally beginning to flower. It has all normally finished by now, and I was beginning to get worried!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #500
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Toys 'R' Us! A magical land full of something-something, Ta-da-da-da-da Da-da-da-dadada. That trip was one of immense fun. So many buttons and gaudily coloured plasticky things.

Staying up 'til midnight discussing inanities with BDers.

C. S. Lewis. I'm sure Tolkien's best friend should be allowed a little home somewhere in the pleasant land, wherein he can be holed up and forced to write more books in the Ransom series.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #501
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Friends who can turn a thoroughly gloomy and depressing day into a good, memorable, and happy day- just by being themselves. And this at a remove of several timezones and several thousand kilometres.

Friends in general belong in the Shire, but friends whose very nature is inspiring belong in Bag-End itself.

Fea, TGWBS, Abercrombie: Thank you.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #502
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Pals that can turn three very boring hours of work indoors on a beautiful Saturday afternoon into the sort where I have to try very hard to keep from falling off of my seat laughing. Elven goblets of greed, indeed. Try explaining that Power Rangers staff to fellow librarians.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #503
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The movie Ice Age II. Wow. Talk about hilarious.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #504
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Free food. Free Renaissance faire food, no less. There was a little Ren Faire at a local college today, and they had free turkey legs and bread bowls! Pretty sweet, since they're five bucks each at the NY Renaissance Faire.

And madrigals with secret naughty meanings.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #505
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Which sort?
The ones that are quite flat and doughy, and that McDonalds do in a morning, e.g. the very tasty Egg McMuffin. But those other kinds sound like they taste wonderful too! Actually, mine our sour dough.

Oh, and a day in late April spent on Abbey grounds (a still active one) where everything is green and quiet except for the dogwoods in bloom which are white and the wild dandelions are just about to blossom and the gentle rain while keeping you from getting in the rowboat on the lake doesn't keep you from hiking all over the grounds.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-30-2006 at 08:02 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #506
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign 1:00 AM dates in my pjs with both Ben and Jerry (at the same time!) as I talk to my boy (he'd be so jealous of those dates...) about the most random things (like sloths) and Formendacil makes me grin by saying (and no, I'm not joking):

Quote:
I totally want to be a Newbie... teh kool, ddues....
It's times like these that get captured in fond memory. The calm of a dorm where half of the residents have to get up at 7:00 AM and are consequently fast asleep at 1:00. Dim lights because your roomie is one of them. Long talks about silly things and knowing that you get to sleep late and then go write stuff and play with pictures when you get up.

This is the life.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM   #507
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign scribbling down ideas for Barrow Downs birthday cards whilst trying to avoid the watchful eye of the Manager a few rooms down.

Let's hope I have time to flesh them out before I get to bed!

Tara
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #508
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Pipe

People with ale and wine, yet not drunk just intoxicated.

My grandma.

My grandma's farm.

My grandma's cooking.

Things that aren't related to television.

People that can rhyme effortlessly.

People that never run out of ideas.

(I am not one of them and thus this post ends.)
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #509
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Disney songs! Come on, anyone that can rhyme 'hotter' with 'water' definitely deserves to be sent to the Shire
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #510
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Kittens. Soft, fuzzy, sweet little kittens.

Though kitty-cat's having just claimed my right arm as a napping spot is making typing difficult, you can probably guess that I don't mind.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #511
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I was a child dreaming of living with 'The Bare (of Bear) Necessities' Kath , so I second that assignment!

I also assign the wonderful cards and letters people have sent to our Lord Wight! *grins* I'm having lots of fun reading them!

And finally, I assign Cranberry, Raspberry & Strawberry infused herbal tea. Can't seem to wake up without it this week!

Tara
Old 05-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #512
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Kittens. Soft, fuzzy, sweet little kittens.
Seconded. What's not to love about them? Let's not ask those with asthma, of course.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #513
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Seconded. What's not to love about them? Let's not ask those with asthma, of course.
Or those with allergies. I had a pretty severe cat allergy for years and years that made it impossible for me to so much as touch a cat without developing a nasty reaction. That allergy has fortunately vanished, or little Abby wouldn't be sitting here with me right now.

To the Shire with the spontaneous vanishing of allergic reactions.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #514
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Or those with allergies. I had a pretty severe cat allergy for years and years that made it impossible for me to so much as touch a cat without developing a nasty reaction. That allergy has fortunately vanished, or little Abby wouldn't be sitting here with me right now.

To the Shire with the spontaneous vanishing of allergic reactions.

Little...Abby?

(And to be on-topic, I assign the fact that my mom understands when I say I have "international social obligations" to fulfill, and questions me no further. )
Old 05-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #515
Goldberry101
Pile O'Bones

Goldberry101 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I assign math class...I love math! I'm only in Algebra 1, so I haven't gotten to the hard stuff yet, but i really like math so far!
Goldberry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #516
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberry101
I assign math class...I love math! I'm only in Algebra 1, so I haven't gotten to the hard stuff yet, but i really like math so far!
Good for you, though I fear you'll find yourself in the minority by stating that opinion. Along with me! It only gets better after algebra. Ah, the joys of derivatives, integrals, indeterminate forms, and Eigen functions. The elegance of a perfectly solved equation never ceases to amaze me, though I'm not a mathematician. Wish I could have taken more math in college.

Co-assigning mathematics here.

(Welcome to the Downs, Goldberry101. )
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #517
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Welcome, as well! Although that post is not exactly the best way to start since now you just technically assigned yourself to Mordor with that. (And, well, you're already in Mordor anyway, Celuien.)

Hmm...I assign kittens. What do you mean that's been assigned already? Okay then, I assign kittens that share your name. But aren't common names in Mordor already? *sigh*
Old 05-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #518
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Twelve-tone music. It's so fun! *dies of eternal dorkiness*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #519
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Writing official sounding emails to set up appointments with people. Call me nerdy, but I think its fun to type 'departmental advising specialist'.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #520
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Finally learning that the weird beeping I sometimes hear mid-conversation on the phone is call-waiting, AND learning how to use it!

After-class conversations with cool professors that last far longer than expected and only end when you glance at the clock and realize that you've got fifteen minutes to get back to your dorm and, from there, over to the art studio. Setting up independent studies for next autumn; finalizing details for an independent project this term; basically anything where I get to go off to learn and do something cool and not be bound by traditional classroom constraints.

Aloe for sunburns.

Unexpected packages in the mail.