The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2002, 05:56 PM   #1
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
White-Hand Hat or hood?

I'm doing some research here, so someone please tell me: Did Saruman use a hat or a hood when he was out?

Éomer says that "he walks about like an old man hooded and cloaked." [TTT, The Riders of Rohan]. So appearantly, a hood's what he used to wear. But the old man who stole the horses in the same chapter, had a hat, and it wasn't Gandalf, cause so he states himself in the chapter The White Rider. However, though it's reasonable to say that the man was Saruman (since he stole the horses), it's also kinda reasonable not to think so, cause at this time Saruman should be back in Isengard, preparing to send out his army. And still, I've read that Saruman probably would have overrun Rohan if he had sent out his army only five days earlier, so did he send the army out too late because he had been out doing mischief to the good guys?

I guess so, cause it couldn't have been anyone else who did it. So. I'd like to think that Saruman was wandering with a hat, but I really want to be accurate. Is he mentioned anywhere else with a hat?

I guess you're laughing now cause it's a stupid little question, but I would be thankful for answers! Thag you very buch (in advance) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 02, 2002: Message edited by: Morima ]

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why not both? A hood one day, the next day throw back the hood in favor of a hat.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:30 PM   #3
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Didn't it also say that they were kind of wondering if it was Saruman because the man they saw was wearing a hat? That would mean Saruman wore a hood.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:00 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

I think I'll go with Gandalf and say that Saruman would appear to you in the way that would best suit his purposes.

In other words, I guess that I'm agreeing with burrahobbit in a rather unusual way.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

s confse as you but why cant he use both?

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 02:55 PM   #6
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Why would Saruman be frightening horses in the middle of the night anyway, if he had so many servants? Surely he didn't come all the way from Isengard on foot (I assume, since hoof-marks weren't found) to chase three guy's horses across a field. That chapter in TTT has always puzzled me.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:16 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

He didn't. Gandalf makes a cryptic comment that Saruman came to meet his servants and see if they had the hobbits. That was the reason why he was in the area. Why he was still hanging around I don't know, but it must have been Saruman because Gandalf said that it was not him.

Unless of course it was Radagast. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 07:34 AM   #8
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
White-Hand

Thanks a lot ppl! The reason for the question is that I'm making costumes for myself and my friends for the TTT-premiere. It would have been cool with Saruman with a hat. I really want to make that hat.

But what should it look like?

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:27 AM   #9
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm guessing it would be a hat similar to the one Gandalf wears, since Saruman was mistaken for Gandalf at first by Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.

Unless of course he wears a baseball cap, but it's up to you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote