Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #481
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Gateskeeper has performed his confessional. Next?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:42 PM   #482
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Poor Chrysophylax. He just can’t keep a good love interest.

[EDIT]Of course, when and if we all make it to Valleyum, they can have a twisted (and likely embarrassing) reunion.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 08-18-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:05 AM   #483
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ummm...it was my intent that Sasser was not transferred from the Mire to Moredough, but that Gateskeeper had duplicated the effect and sent it on to Mogul. As far as I'm concerned, Sasser hasn't left (yet), but finding ongoing power sources for her might be problematic...
Old 08-19-2004, 09:17 AM   #484
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
We can be fast and loose on Sasser. If you'd like her to stick around, Kuruharan, we can come up with something. I too feel sorry for Chrysophylax.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #485
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Actually, I just had this idea about power failures at awkward moments.

You can keep Sasser until the next time I post.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:31 PM   #486
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Nice post, Mith! One reason I participate in these RPs is the clever ways in which someone will build upon a plot point in a prior post that couldn't possibly have been foreseen, and make it fit perfectly into the narrative. The "disturbance" at Moredough is a classic case in point.

Now that we've thoroughly mucked up the plot, let's see if Squatter can still get us out of the Mire. And where-o-where is Barrow Wight? I know I've been absent for long periods, but it seems uncharacteristic of BW -- he's not posted here since March, his entry in the singing contest. Is everything alright with him?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 AM   #487
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

How come this tale always seems to speed up while 'm away? Still, I’ve managed to sneak a short moment of internet access.

Great posts everyone. I love the Wizard’s e-duel and the subsequent fallout. What has become of Sauerkraut? Is his spirit on the way to Valleyum or has he been denied access to Mantoes’ hallowed halls? Will we see him again in the final denouement? No doubt such questions will be answered in due course.

Well, it seems Mögul’s power is under challenge and his allies are fast disappearing. Then again, he is the most powerful being in Muddled-Mirth - and at least he still has Soregum. Or does he? The little chap’s keeping a low profile for now, so only time will tell…

One minor point. Mögul’s kit was a Satel-antir, rather than a Cel-antir. Hence his surveillance capabilities. No matter now though, I suppose. And he is soon to depart for Valleyum courtesy of the Aircorps of Dumbar (known for their “Jumbo” jets – remember “ah been done seen most everythin’ when ah seen an Oliphaunt fly”? ).

Just a quick post for now because … well, because I couldn’t resist the pun.

When I get back from my travels, I’ll post something a bit longer to mark Mögul’s departure. Surely the Stop-start-ship can't reach Valleyum before then ...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #488
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

I wouldn't put it past us to still be up to our necks in the Mire.

Either today or tomorrow I'll post Chrysophylax's latest romantic fiasco.

[EDIT] Romantic fiasco complete and Sasser One's battery ran out of juice. Chrysophylax would probably be interested to know if she had a sister or if there was some way of catching lightning in a bottle.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 08-21-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:08 PM   #489
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

<sniff>Poor Chrysophylax! Pass the Kleenex...
Old 08-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #490
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*passes Thena a Kleenex and wallows in a fetid swampland of bittersweet romantic despair*
Old 08-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #491
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

**FLASH** Pot Calls Kettle 'Black'

We were doing so well...I mean, how many times have I posted 3 times in a week...what happened?

<peers down the strangely empty barrow>

Hello? <echos>
Old 08-25-2004, 02:08 PM   #492
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, I'm back! I will now commence bugging the appropriate posters for their contributions (Squatter, that means you! ); after that, the LastShip-Ship will be on its way to the final frontier. Anyone who recognizes that reference might have an inkling as to the parodic theme of the Havens/Ship passages! (pun intended, of course)

Thanks to those who posted while I was away - I need to take time to enjoy those posts (having only skimmed them for a quick chuckle so far) so that I can recognize your contributions appropriately!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-25-2004, 02:25 PM   #493
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

The Uttermostest West...the vinyl frontier.

These are the voyages of the havenship For-a-price. It's point-ear mission:
to explore new punnery, to seek out new strife and new caricaturizations...

To be boldly droll where no man has drolled before!!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:06 PM   #494
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thena gets the prize - what shall it be? A new battery for Gatesy's Cell-antír?

Anyway, I've not yet heard from Squatter, so I'm hoping he'll catch up and post his conclusion soon so that we can continue. Mith's post has taken us about as far as we can go for now, I guess.

Lush, are you still with us? Do you want to pick up that loose thread mentioned by Diamond on the 17th?

Now, to recap the authorial masterpieces of the last page:

Mith, you picked up the plot developments wonderfully and convinced the rest of us of Grrralph's innocence in these matters - or did you?!

Thena, your prolific posting was highly enjoyable! Gatesy's confession shows him to be truly repentant and completely on Merisu and the Ent's side now - or does it??

Mith, only a really evil writer could conceive of such a horrible torture - forced watching of the "Hobbit" cartoon/soundtrack! I shudder to think of the anguish of that Uruk...

Saucy, what wonderful puns!! Golf-im-ball, Red Oliphaunt (drunk by Balrogs - finally they get wings!), and most especially the 'Scoring of the Shire'!

Kuru, what a touching and tragic love story for poor Chrysi! Sales of handkerchiefs have gone up - tell the Dwarf!

Mith once again, taking the past developments, putting them together and developing them anew - thanks for your faithful and fantastic posting!

I've had so much fun catching up - now I'm only waiting for Squatter's post before I get us moving.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-28-2004, 08:46 AM   #495
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Were we still supposed to pick a Velour?

I quite honestly don't remember who has been taken and I don't remember what page on this rather lengthy thread that was on.

Would somebody be willing to sell a clueless dwarf a clue?

I have this fine piece of real estate in the Swiss Riviera that I'd be more than willing to give in exchange.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #496
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yep, all who wished were able to pick a Velour for our grand finale in Valleyum. I will have to check to see who is still going to be active for the last part of the journey - there are several people who haven't posted in a looooong time. [Yes, that means you, BW (last post from you was five months ago!!), and you too, Lush (three months ago)! Squatter's last post was over two months ago, but I'm hoping he will put up his planned post very soon.]

WARNING: Anyone who doesn't post before the Sailing-Ship leaves the Havens stays behind!! Sorry about naming names here, but it's getting boring having to wait so long for posts, so I'd like to consolidate those on whom I can count to post regularly - at the very least once a month, but I was already going easy on participants by specifying once every two weeks when we started, and that's still what I'd like to have.

Real estate in the Swiss Riviera, eh, Kuru? Give me a bit of time, and I'll find that information. I need it as well, so as not to get the crystalline construction of our plot planning confused here...
Old 08-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #497
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Yes, it is the most extraordinary thing. No matter how much of the Swiss Riviera I give away, I always have the same amount afterward.

Donald Trump would probably be interested in this.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #498
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

meanwhile, back on page 8...

I found the planning for our Velour characters! Here's the list as chosen up to now (changes are still possible, but please check them with me):

Melvin/Môgul - Saucy
Yawanna - Esty
Howlie (alternative possibility Haudie) - Mith
[Varda] and Manuël - Diamond
Mantoes - Squatter
Tulk Hogan (?) - BW
Tickle-Me-Ulmo (?) - Thena
Hornme the Foxhunter - Kuru
? - Lush (?)

Again, these are subject to hearing from those involved; otherwise regular posters may take a double role if they wish, or we'll leave out the Velour who aren't essential to the storyline.

Now, Kuru - about that real estate... (Oh, and you can choose a Velour character!)

Edited: to include Kuru's choice

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 08-28-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:27 PM   #499
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Hornme the Foxhunter-

One of the Velour. He is a great hunter. He has ridden his horse Har-har the length and breadth of the world looking for sport. He is most frequently seen wearing a funny little black hat, a fiercely scarlet jacket, white pants, and shiny jackboots. The merry notes of his hunting horn strike terror in the hearts of all who hear them because where the horn is heard; Hornme’s dogs can’t be far behind. (Hornme never deigns to explain to his dogs what they are hunting, so the dogs tend to kill everything in sight just to make sure).

With Tulk Hogan, Hornme is the Velour who performs their deeds of prowess (or at least he would if it did not involve getting his hands dirty. He normally leaves such business to the dogs). He is usually cheerful because he has not yet met anyone who is not afraid of his dogs.

---------

In view of her meritorious service to The Cause, I hereby bestow upon Estelyn Telcontar the deed to the city of Geneva-Upon-The-Sea. Henceforth it shalt belongeth to said Estelyn and her heirs of the House Telcontar to be their own city-state and personal playground from now until the end of time. Any who have objections to said Telcontar taking the reins of government of said Geneva-Upon-The-Sea speak now or forever hold your peace.

By the power vested in me by the Khazad Real Estate Consortium, I now pronounce you despot and polis.

Signed,
Kuruharan, son of Khoreth the Longbeard

This 985th pre/post Durin’s Day some year or other

Amen.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #500
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I will be out of pocket from tomorrow through friday. While I might be able to check threads, I will not have time to post.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #501
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

I want to reconfirm my claim on Tickle-Me-Ulmo.

TMU always remained a bit aloof and distant from the other Velou and their Valleyum resort, probably a result of the jokes they made about his red fur raiment and bulging eyes. Pensive but concerned about the inhabitants of Muddled-Mirth, he has often taken an active red-gloved hand in the affairs of men and elves, and has been known through the ages for his booming yet high-pitched laughter when his works come to fruition.

Forth the Questians!
Old 08-30-2004, 05:39 PM   #502
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Some of Manuël's character has already been set up in earlier posts about Môgol, so I will have to read over them again. I have yet to come up with a name and character assassination for Varda, but will try to apply some thought to it before it becomes necessary to write her.

I have been kept a bit busy this week, having started up a new writer's group (see signature) and am in that new parent mode where you have to monitor absolutely everthing (pant, pant) but I will try not to make this an excuse to be left behind. In fact, if Vogonwë and Pimpi are left behind, there'll be Nimrohell to pay. Like, totally.

Edit: It did just occur to me, though, that having Vogonwë mistakenly think Pimpi is ashore and jump off Amroth-like only to need to be rescued in his moment of misguided romantic heroism, might be good for a laugh.....

Last edited by Diamond18; 08-30-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #503
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Confirmed, Thena.

Sounds like you'll come up with good ideas, Diamond.

I've heard from Lush, who intends to continue with us.

Sorry we're stuck in a rut, waiting for Squatter's post, folks; when I saw him in England less than two weeks ago, he promised to write it soon, but now I'm not getting any responses to my e-mails. I've decided that if he doesn't post this week, we will have to carry on without him, although he would be horribly missed!

I also have no idea if Orogarn 2 (BW)will be continuing...

Anyway, if wurst comes to wurst (as they say in the Mire), I will be open to suggestions for unique ways to leave characters behind!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #504
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Would this involve the killing of Earnur or Orogarn Two?
Old 09-02-2004, 02:44 AM   #505
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, we won't kill any characters without the permission of their owners, so it depends on the plans that they make. Theoretically, they will simply be left behind - I suppose they could make their own boat and follow somehow, or just roam M-M alone...
Old 09-03-2004, 06:22 AM   #506
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye I'm back

So what's been happening while I've been away? Well, I see that the Inert-ship are still in the Mire, and ... oh ... that's it ...

C'mon guys, I'm itching for the final confrontation, 'cos we know that the baddies always win.

I shall post Mogul's departure for Valleyum within the next week, but don't let that hold things up.

By the way, any chance of one of the Velour resembling David Bowie circa 1973? It would make a bit more sense of Soregum's transformation for his song in the Marrow Bowns song competition. How about Howlie/Howdie? Perhaps he could be Zowie . By the way, have we final confirmation on his name, as I may need to change one of my past posts?
Old 09-03-2004, 06:34 AM   #507
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Saucy, welcome back! You have been sorely missed. Mith is away this week, but the best thing for you to do would be to check out the possibilities with him personally early next week. Since his last post got the GoWestShip moving out of the Mire, I will move us to the Havens within the next two - three days. I have still heard nothing from Squatter, so can only hope that he will catch up with us after that.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #508
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Thanks for the welcome back, Esty. It's good to be back, although work is very hectic at the moment so my Downs time is still limited. I was able to log-on while travelling, but I still have a lot of catching up to do. I haven't read a thread in the Books for about 3 weeks, and as for the Chapter-by-Chapter threads ...

Just realised that I'll need to make my post before the Gradually-Creeping-West-Ship reach the Pay Havens, so I've put up a save and I'll try to post something over the weekend. Alas, all that catching up will have to wait.

If I don't manage to post before you want to get things moving again, Esty, I'll delete the save.

PS For a beast of such ancient and imperial lineage, Chrysophylax sure seems to have been acting the confused, pimply adolescent in this adventure ... Sasser - priceless!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #509
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

He's probably young for a dragon. He's probably also had a lack of nurturing influence in his life. I mean, he's pet to a dwarf for goodness sake.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #510
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Quote:
I mean, he's pet to a dwarf for goodness sake.
Yes, and it would seem from his behaviour that female dragons are as rare as female dwarves.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:51 AM   #511
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm in the process of writing my post, slowed down by a real life (paid! and therefore urgent) work project that I should be able to finish today. I plan to take the -Ship directly to the Havens (You shall not pass GO, you shall not collect 30 silver pennies!). The only possibilities for a diversion between the Shire/Mire and the Havens that occur to me (*consults map) are the White Downs/Far Downs and the White Towers. (See 'The Grey Havens', RotK) Unless, (highly improbable, of course, but since when has that ever stopped us?!) we detour by way of Lake Evendim/Annúminas, but I've no idea for any adventure there. Should any of you have a cunning plan, please let me know posthaste; otherwise, I'll just get us there in record time.

edit: According to my handy-dandy Foster's Guide, "The Towers remained standing into the Fourth Age." Now, either we accept that (canon instead of cannons, for a change?! ) and avoid them, as our presence would most certainly be destructive in nature - or... we take that as a challenge!

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-04-2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #512
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
YO.

Does anyone want to help me pick out my Velour character? I'm high on...stuff and low on imagination these days. I promise I'll love you forever if you do.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:28 AM   #513
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, the most obvious choice would be Nienna, since she's the one of the three female Valar among the most powerful who hasn't been taken yet. I have a few ideas on her which I will send you by PM. However, you may also freely choose among: [checks Valaquenta]

Vairë the Weaver (Námo's spouse)
Estë the Healer (Irmo's spouse)
Nessa (Tulkas' spouse) - dances, though whether or not with wolves is unknown...
Vána, the Ever-young (Oromë's spouse)

Unless, of course, you prefer to take the role of the ultimate female baddie - Ungoliant!!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #514
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Bagsie me Ungoliant. I have an idea ...
Old 09-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #515
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I've nearly finished my post, Esty. I'll have it up some time tonight.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #516
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

She's all yours, Saucy! (Lush will have to be a good girl after all...) Looking forward to your post! Mine's in progress, but it will take another day or so to finish it.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:05 PM   #517
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Is there a Cliff Notes version that I can use to catch up?
Old 09-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #518
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Quote:
She's all yours, Saucy!
How delightful!

My post is done. I didn't get a chance to deal with Mogul's departure, but there is time yet for that ...
Old 09-06-2004, 08:10 AM   #519
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Cliff's Notes, BW?! Sacrilege! Here's your answer:

The Quest goes ever on and on,
down from the post where it began.
Now far ahead the Itship's gone
and you must follow if you can;
pursuing it with weary eyes
until you get some kind of clue,
and figure out where the plot lies.
And whither then? What will you do?

PS to all - Have we established a name for the Havens yet? I looked at Diamond's reference post, but there's none there.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-06-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #520
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril Name brainstorming

OK, here's a suggested name and one which is still uncertain. I'd appreciate comments and ideas for additional names as well. I do have a couple of them established, but don't want to reveal too much in advance!

Mithlond = Mithtake
Grey Havens = ? (Striped Havens? Tartan Havens?)