The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #361
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Fey Fatale?
That is two adjectives ...unless you are Rune....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #362
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Noticed that Bêthberry is "Ghost Prince of Cardolan" for some reason.
I can't decide if this means I will be reborn or reincarnated. It happened also to Estelyn Telcontar and Child of the 7th Age, and since they are much better behaved than I am, I can only assume that I haven't been punished.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #363
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Does that mean that you are in fact ,*gulp* , Glorfindel?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #364
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Rune, what about you including Fey in your PT? (If Valier does not take it among many of the other names, that is.)

I really like all the new titles, indeed, I already told that to Miggy and Volo and I find Mac's one also very nice, truly Middle-Earthish. Can't wait for the rest. And thank all of you who appreciated my title, I haven't yet grown used to it, but I chose it by heart. It was really great and unexpected pleasant surprise when I got the PM from Mr. Barrow-Wight.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 02-01-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #365
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
Am I missing someone? Are you having a hard a time as me?
You mean me?
I had a vague idea of what I wanted months ago, and made the final choice a couple days ago, but for some reason when the BW changed it it wasn't saved properly. Now I'm just waiting for it to appear...

EDIT: And posting very little, because I like the idea of having a personal title before I reach 1000 posts!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #366
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
EDIT: And posting very little, because I like the idea of having a personal title before I reach 1000 posts!
You know what, post some five more posts and then wait (and hope you don't need to answer anything in the meantime ) and post the 1000th as the first one with a new title... which I am really curious to see (just what is that you might have picked?)

...and no, you don't have to reply to this! Wait!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #367
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
After consulting the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, I decided that I like Rikae's new title.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #368
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

After consulting the simple translator on Seznam.cz I decided I like it too
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #369
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.

Thanks, Lommy & Legate! I'll admit - 'mellifluous' has not, heretofore, been part of my active vocabulary. I found it looking through a dictionary for adjectives which alliterate with "Maia". I liked the allusion to either Melian or Saruman, depending on how you want to take it - moral ambiguity suits me. *wicked grin*

Good choices, my fellow newly-knighted Downers!
I'm curious about the thought process behind Legate's and Volo's (since TM already gave us his.) Macalaure's I knew beforehand, and I say he gets extra points for using a special character!

Legate, when I saw your earlier post I wished I had time to take your advice - that would have been glorious. Oh well.. *sigh*
995th post!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #370
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I decided I liked Rikae's title even before I went to tracetech.net and got the slightest clue of what it might actually mean.

Quote:
I'm curious about the thought process behind Legate's and Volo's
From my part I can only say that at first sight it looks extremely corny, at second sight you understand that it might actually be somehow BD-related, at the third sight you think that it sounds pretty good and at the fourth you don't even notice it.

I leave the meaning completely to your imagination and will try not to comment it like Lommy's imagination.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #371
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria View Post
Ack! I've been racking my brain trying to think of something and I only came up with two variations: Elusive Fire or Elusive Fire Maiden, I don't think the maiden part suits me though...ugh I think I need some more help
I like Elusive Fire very much. It's mysterious, evocative, and has a nice sound.

For Valier, I'm a fan of Feline Fay/Fée or Fey Feline... keeping it simple gives it more impact, I think. Oh, wait, can't it also be spelt "fae"? (Not to throw another spelling in the works...)
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #372
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
From my part I can only say that at first sight it looks extremely corny, at second sight you understand that it might actually be somehow BD-related, at the third sight you think that it sounds pretty good and at the fourth you don't even notice it.

I leave the meaning completely to your imagination and will try not to comment it like Lommy's imagination.
I think I have some idea...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #373
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Palantir-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
I'm curious about the thought process behind Legate's and Volo's (since TM already gave us his.)
Well, I went through several ideas for a PT in my head, but as it happens to me more often, the right one popped up in my mind with no actual connotations. Though, in this case, it was something that already had strong place in my heart and that I always liked. For those who don't know, the title comes from one passage in Tuor's story, when Ulmo speaks to him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished Tales
And Ulmo spoke to Tuor of Valinor and its darkening, and the Exile of the Noldor, and the Doom of Mandos, and the hiding of the Blessed Realm. "But behold!" said he, "in the armour of Fate (as the Children of Earth name it) there is ever a rift, and in the walls of Doom a breach, until the full-making, which ye call the End. So it shall be while I endure, a secret voice that gainsayeth, and a light where darkness was decreed. Therefore, though in the days of this darkness I seem to oppose the will of my brethren, the Lords of the West, that is my part among them, to which I was appointed ere the making of the World."
I always liked Ulmo, and I always liked this part, and there are other things that I'll leave to your imagination and interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Legate, when I saw your earlier post I wished I had time to take your advice - that would have been glorious. Oh well.. *sigh*
995th post!
Well, look at it from the better side - your most glorious moment still awaits you and now you don't need to worry about having or not having the title when it comes

Quote:
Well, to me it gave the impression of a very poetic title - and also pressing upon me the idea of you as soft and dreamy person.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #374
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Rune, what about you including Fey in your PT? (If Valier does not take it among many of the other names, that is.)
That wasn't the plan, not that I don't want to. . .anyways I am begining to think that I will go with a titel that Lal sugested "Odinic Wanderer"

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #375
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
That wasn't the plan, not that I don't want to. . .anyways I am begining to think that I will go with a titel that Lal sugested "Odinic Wanderer"
I'd say it sounds good. After all, it will go nicely with your avvie, for I think even Karl Marx resembles Odin somewhat - or at least how I imagine him - if he got an eyepatch...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #376
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well Odinic Wanderer is basically Gandalf.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #377
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
No. . . Just because Gandalf is an Odinic Wanderer, it does not mean that an Odinic Wanderer has to be Gandalf.

Anyways I am just going to consult my good friend and fellow Tolkien nerd Asbjørn and then make my desition.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #378
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

I still vote Norseman of the Apocalypse for you Rune.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #379
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I still vote Norseman of the Apocalypse for you Rune.
Yes and that is only one of the many things that scares me about you.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 AM   #380
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks to everyone who likes my title. I thought it sounded nice and fitted very well to the image of Maglor wandering the world while gradually fading through the Ages.

Rune, I hope I won't scare you now, too, but I also like Norseman of the Apocalypse best. For Valier I'm voting for Feline Fatale, for Naria Elusive Flame.
*expects his opinion to be blatantly ignored*

My all-time favourite titles are Laconic Loreman, Alive without breath, A Mere Boggart, Drummer in the Deep, Night in Wight Satin, and Corpus Cacophonus. One doesn't even have to add their real screen names: their titles fit so perfectly and stick so much, they've become almost synomymous with their bearers.
Going through Brinn's list, I also like Hobbitus Emeritus (Gilthalion) and Scent of Symbelmyne (Sophia) very much.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #381
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Rune, I hope I won't scare you now, too, but I also like Norseman of the Apocalypse best. For Valier I'm voting for Feline Fatale, for Naria Elusive Flame.
*expects his opinion to be blatantly ignored*

My all-time favourite titles are Laconic Loreman, Alive without breath, A Mere Boggart, Drummer in the Deep, Night in Wight Satin, and Corpus Cacophonus. One doesn't even have to add their real screen names: their titles fit so perfectly and stick so much, they've become almost synomymous with their bearers.
Going through Brinn's list, I also like Hobbitus Emeritus (Gilthalion) and Scent of Symbelmyne (Sophia) very much.
Oh how I wanted to ignore this post. . .but I am too kind.
Norseman of the Apocalypse is not a title I consider, why would I use a biblical term?

I was considering Mariner of the Nothern Seas or Broadsword/Thunderbolt of the North and a few other ones.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #382
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I was considering Mariner of the Nothern Seas or Broadsword/Thunderbolt of the North and a few other ones.
The Odinic Wanderer still sounds the best to me. Mariner also does not sound too bad. In the last one, I would choose rather Broadsword than Thunderbolt, but still, being you, I'd choose one of the former two.

Anyway, don't let other people meddle into it much, and choose something you know you'll like and that you'd be comfortable with anytime even in the future.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #383
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
What of Oloric Wanderer? Though that seems to strip the Viking element away entirely.

(I still think you should choose Viking to Rivendell. :P)

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #384
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Norseman of the Apocalypse is not a title I consider, why would I use a biblical term?
I hasten to point out that the phrase 'Horsemen of the Apocalypse' appears nowhere in the Bible. In fact, the word apocalypse isn't there either. These are simply words taken on by commentators, presumably in the Middle Ages. It is in no way a 'Biblical term'.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #385
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I hasten to point out that you are not exactly right, Hookbill. The word "apocalypse" is used once at the very beginning of the, ahem, Apocalypse Or, to be clear: the word "apocalypse" is used at the beginning of certain writing, which was later named "THE Apocalypse" (eventually the Apocalypsis of John, etc.) because of this word. It is the very starting word of the writing, "apokalypsis" in original, translated "revelation". And that's also what "apocalypsis" means, regardless of what today's people imagine under it (generally it is catastrophe, for reasons unknown, as the central message of the Revelation, or any apocalyptic literature, certainly is not any catastrophe). But yes, under these terms, no reason for Rune to call himself "Norseman of Revelation", unless he wants to be often a Seer in WW (or be a wolf and reveal himself as one ).
Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #386
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I stand corrected. In my haste I didn't search for the Greek word as I should. If we were talking old testament terms, I could have gone on for hours.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #387
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Well, sorry if I made a mistake. . .but to me Apocalypse is conected with the Juda-Christian writings.

Now to answer the question of yet another anonymous neg-repper!

I do not wish to use a term that to me is connected with christianity if there is other words just as good because I am not Christian. . .I am an Atheist!

So it is not something I do because I dislike Christianity more than the other great religions.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #388
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Poor Rune.... I laughed so much when I saw Norseman of the Apocalypse but because I too associate it with the Bible I thought some might think its use, not blasphemous exactly but flippant perhaps or a little disrespectful. However it never occured that anyone could think NOT using it would be insulting ....

Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #389
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Oh how I wanted to ignore this post. . .but I am too kind.
I didn't even think about the Christian background of it. I simply liked the word play and thought it sounded pretty cool.

I can't believe somebody neg-repped you for that. Some people just can't be helped, I fear.

Last edited by Macalaure; 02-06-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: grammar.....
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #390
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The problem is I can't understand who did that.
I thought new members can't rep others with more reputation and I doubt an older one would do that.
Or am I wrong?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #391
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
The problem is I can't understand who did that.
I thought new members can't rep others with more reputation and I doubt an older one would do that.
Or am I wrong?
I believe since the system has been resetted, it got a little shuffled and now everyone can rep with more or less same weight. Anyway, I'd say we leave the topic - whoever it was, it is on him now to sort it out. And everyone can make a mistake or in some affect do a neg-rep - that's not our concern, only that person's and Rune's.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #392
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Poor Rune.... I laughed so much when I saw Norseman of the Apocalypse but because I too associate it with the Bible I thought some might think its use, not blasphemous exactly but flippant perhaps or a little disrespectful. However it never occured that anyone could think NOT using it would be insulting ....
Hmm, does all this negative repping mean that Rune is a Dread Norseman?

(Actually, I guess that sounds too similar to Mister Underhill's PT.

Would you consider using something with the word "spectre" in it, Rune? That fits in with a ghoulish Downs theme as well as incorporating an allusion to another writer favoured by you.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #393
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, I'm sitting here laughing about Norseman Of The Apocalypse now. Why? It's like a great Monty Python sketch that never was...I can see it now...Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle and Michael Palin, dim figures riding in the mist while havoc is being wreaked around them involving demons and ladies of Babylon and whatnot - they come into view with those outfits on they had for the comic Vikings in the "Spam" sketch. "Weeee are the Four Norsemen of the Apocalypse!"
Spam: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94446211716271

If Rune was to choose this title he would have to add some horns to poor old Marx.

I like Odinic Wanderer because that is what Rune is!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #394
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I wonder. How do you change your title?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #395
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Hmm, does all this negative repping mean that Rune is a Dread Norseman?

(Actually, I guess that sounds too similar to Mister Underhill's PT.

Would you consider using something with the word "spectre" in it, Rune? That fits in with a ghoulish Downs theme as well as incorporating an allusion to another writer favoured by you.

I was thinking about using "Spectre of Socialism/Communism" just to give Thenamir a run for his money.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #396
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I wonder. How do you change your title?

Must be awarded by the Headmaster Wight.

that and slay a dragon or save a princess.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #397
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
If Rune was to choose this title he would have to add some horns to poor old Marx.
ORLY?

Of course, Norsemen didn't wear such helms.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #398
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I don't know if I should laugh or cry

Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #399
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry
I recommend laughing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #400
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
ORLY?

Of course, Norsemen didn't wear such helms.
Amazing! I recommend using that picture in the next issue of the Downer, Hookbill!