The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2002, 08:29 PM   #1
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Another Dragon Vs. Balrog thing

The other one's gettin' kinda long so I'm starting my own. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] We've all heard (read, whatever) the pluses and minuses of these two powerful creatures. So here's a new one for ya. If you had a battle between all the dragons and all the balrogs ever recorded, who would win?

This one would definately go to the dragons.

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:10 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
OH-NO!! IT'S MULTIPLYING!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since we don't know how many Dragons there are it would be tough to judge. There is a note that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote that said that no more than 3 or 7 Balrogs had ever existed. I think that Obloquy has just about convinced me to accept the note as Tolkien's latest intentions and therefore the truth. Although I'm still thinking about it and am not sure. I had previously contented that because the note was not published and since the numbers 3 or 7 never appear anywhere else, that Tolkien was planning to drastically reduce the thousands of Balrogs that existed in his earlier writings, but not to 7, and certainly not to 3. The fact that Tolkien made such a drastic reduction further supports the theory that Balrogs are stronger than Dragons.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

By the way, Thingol, I posted a reply to your last post in the "Seven Thains..." thread. I'm letting you know here so that you don't miss it as I had missed your post! Things tend to get buried really quickly on this board.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:36 PM   #5
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw it [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:55 PM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll be patheticly obvious and cast my vote for Dragons. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2002, 05:56 PM   #7
serin

Sting

My vote is that before either could destroy one another the earth would be destroyed in a burning explosion from the clashing of powers [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] nullnull [img]null[/img]
Old 04-30-2002, 02:47 PM   #8
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Pipe

I would have to say that there are more dragons, but because the balrogs are made in fire could the dragons really hurt them. Gandalf told the fellowship that their weapons were no macth, that means that brute strength won't defeat a balrog, only magic will do. This is just my opiniun. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:30 PM   #9
Serin

Tolkien

To true about the fire but what about the colosal meetin of energies one must be carful when choosing sides therfore i defend my opinion [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2002, 04:21 AM   #10
Rinurion
Animated Skeleton

Rinurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, this thread is really loving the new theme [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Ok, from what i have seen on this thread and read myself, i would have to say that a one on one match, dragon against balrog, a dragon would come out on top.
1. Dragons are bigger. (i am looking foward to the debate on this one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). A balrog is not all that much bigger than a troll... they cant be. they can get down the corridors built by the dwarves. dragons do not fit down these corridors... as an example i use smaug... he couldnt chase biblo up the corridor, and had to use the the top of the mountain exit. the balrog in moria made his way through a maze of corridors... which makes him a LOT smaller.

2. the only cases of dragons being killed stated by tolkien are when somone has suprised them or shot them with an arrow. i dont see balrogs carrying bows, nor sneaking up on someone. and as for the case of turin and glaurung... i somehow thing a dragon would take a blarog seriously. the balrog would have to engage the dragon in hand to hand combat... and a dragon, as a said, is much, much bigger. three words... BIG CRUSHING JAWS.

3. Balrogs may have done more than dragons, but there were MORE of them. a host of them in fact. although 3 to seven dragons seems far too small, i doubt there were ever more than 50 of them. oh, and as for the list of people who have killed a balrog... maybe they were simply smart enough not to mess with a dragon.

hmmm... that will do for now... go dragons!
in Mordor where the shadows are.
Rinurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:28 PM   #11
Mankáno
Animated Skeleton

Mankáno has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mankáno
Sting

My vote goes to the Balrogs

The Balrogs were maiar, spirits of fire, they came from outside Arda and were of the same kindred as Morgoth or the Valar. Only Sauron among Morgoth's servants was more powerful.

Remember that Gandalf did kill the Balrog but it costed him his own life, and remember that Gandalf was himself a maia, and that Balrog wasn't Gothmog, they lord and more powerful Balrog.

Smaug, the most powerful dragon in the third age was killed by a single arrow, shot by a man, I doubt you would kill a balrog that easily.

Dragons were creatures created by Morgoth, what was their exact nature? it's not explained. As the werewolves, they might be evil spirits that adopted those forms, so, they could have been ainur (maiar in Arda) but i believe that even if that was the case, they were spirits less powerful than the Balrogs.

Remember the Balrogs were able to even defeat Ungoliant, I think Ungoliant would have eaten the dragons as appetizers.
Mankáno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:58 AM   #12
lewis

Tolkien

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I think balrogs are so much more powerful than dragons. i mean, look who it took to kill them gandalf managed, but even Bard killed a dragon, and he is nothing like gandalf.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:11 PM   #13
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Hey guys! that's not the shooth 'em up game but at least the fighting game here! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Just want to add my 2 cents Balrog vs Dragon:

fight one
A Balrog is a demon, an evil spirit. score 1
A Dragon is a "faboulous" animal. score 1
result :even

fight two
In theory, their power seem to be equal. So I doubt they would look for a battle against each other. Unless they do want to vanish from Middle Earth together before their time.
Balrog score 0
Dragon score 0
result: even

Final fight
If it is to happened (I mean the fight of course).
The winner : would be the most motivated (fighting for Evil or Good is a motivation) from both of them!

Game over [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Lol [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sil stone of vision, dragon's lover, balrog worshiper,Soul calibur very bad player( very difficult for a spherical stone to use the joystick héhéhé! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:25 PM   #14
Rinurion
Animated Skeleton

Rinurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Remember that Gandalf did kill the Balrog but it costed him his own life
Ok, call me ignorant, but where does it say gandalf died in his fight with the balrog?

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: Rinurion ]
in Mordor where the shadows are.
Rinurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #15
Este

Shield

im sure it says gandalf dies, as he chases the balrog up to the peak of zirakzigil he then casts him down from the peak and passes away then its decided that it is not his time to leave middle earth, and so he is returned as gandalf the white and is then carried by Gwaihier to Lothlorien
Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #16
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

I think a Balrog would definitely beat a dragon. He has the capability to breathe fire AND whip the dragon with his, er, whip. He could also (if the dragon was smaller than him) sit on a dragon's head [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #17
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
where does it say gandalf died in his fight with the balrog?
Tolkien said it in Letter 156 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You can read about it in these threads:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=000955
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=002114
Old 07-18-2003, 08:42 PM   #18
Pablo

Tolkien

If you refer back to the hobbit ,gandalf felt that it would be wiser to bring at least 15 dwarvs and a hobbit to get recover the jewels from smaug,a dragon but yet he tried to take on the balrog alone.Why would he be prepared to face a battle with a dragon alone? Maybe because it was too strong so he was aided by dwarves but yet the balrog,he just needed his staff.Maybe he knew he could overcome the balrog alone because it wasnt as strong, so he challenged it to battle.just a thought. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2003, 09:16 PM   #19
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

I believe I once read somewhere that Sauron had balrogs under his control but not dragonsa because of his fear of them.

My vote goes to the Dragons.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:08 AM   #20
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Chalk and cheese, balrogs are spirits, much like Gandalf, though he was of greater strength and power. The balrogs were fire spirits that sauron bent to his will, whereas he bred the dragons himself. Gandalf could have marched into Smaugs lair and killed him but he had other motives, he wanted to avoid sauron using smaug in his upcoming wars but couldn't let on to Saruman that he knew sauron was back. He disposed of the dragon without looking like he did it. Dragons are beasts, balrogs are spirits. You cannot compare the two.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #21
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
balrogs were fire spirits that sauron bent to his will, whereas he bred the dragons himself.
Balrogs were Maiar that Morgoth corrupted, not Sauron. As for dragons, Morgoth could not create life, only mockeries of it (i.e. orcs). Therefore it must be assumed that dragons had some other origin, but whether they can be classified as "beasts", of the kingdom of thekelvar, has been debated.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #22
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

Balrogs I say Balrogs for I read somewhere that they are of equal power but a Balrog is cool. I'll give you a quote when I find it.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:07 AM   #23
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I have mixed feelings, I know that Dragons were immensly strong and cunning but the Balrogs were powerful and take my vote.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:09 AM   #24
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think you are going to give us the quote when you find it. Because it doesn't exist. If it did I'm sure somebody would have seen fit to post it in the past year and a half. Please don't post to old topics that are not good.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:51 AM   #25
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my vote goes to Balrogs, simply because they are maiar spirits, in their own spiritual form, even if dragons are maiar spirits too they are less powerful because they are bound to a physical (less spiritual)form, and therefore had to use power to contain this form, wich a Balrog didn't have to.

furthermore, a dragon (take Smaug or Scatha) can be slain by mere men, no single man can handle a Balrog (save maybe hurin)
all the Balrogs (what we know of) are slain by either maiar or by powerful elflords, who all died in the process.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #26
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This resurfaced topic is an opinion subject and therefore belongs on the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote