The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
dragonslayer

Sting I think Frodo and Sam murdered Gollum when he tried to destroy the ring.

Gollum tried to destroy the ring but Frodo stabbed him from behind because Frodo wanted the ring for himself while Gollum only wanted to destroy the ring. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Blink blink, HUH?

Wait a minute, I think your basic premise is off. Gollum wasn't trying to destroy the Ring, he was trying to steal it. He wanted to have his Precious back. And Frodo didn't stab him, Gollum bit off his finger and fell.

Quote:
Suddenly Sam saw Gollum's long hands draw upwards to his mouth; his white fangs gleamed, and then snapped as they bit. Frodo gave a cry, and there he was, fallen upon his knees at the chasm's edge. But Gollum, dancing like a mad thing, held aloft the ring, a finger still thrust within its circle. It shone now as if it verily it was wrought of living fire.

'Precious, precious, precious!' Gollum cried. 'My Precious! O my Precious!' And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his preze, he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail Precious, and he was gone.
That is a quote from The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter III, Mount Doom. It says nothing about Gollum having been stabbed, nor that he wanted to destroy the Ring.

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Dude, relax. You're just buying your drugs in the wrong place. It'll wear off soon, I promise.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] wow.
Lush is hil-ar-i-ous. hilarious. ROTFL
hilarious
Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I can identify. I was reading the books last night, with some, uh, inmaginative assistance, and everywhere I've gone today I've had smeagol at my back. I turn around and he's there with a knife ready to stab me. It's starting to creep me out. Anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
dragonslayer

Sting

relax i'm just joking.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
dragonslayer

Shield

If you didn't notice i said i"thought"its just a joke
Old 08-06-2003, 09:11 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Once again, I don't mean to douce water on your fire mate, but if you're just joking (which I figured you were), you really shouldna made a topic just to air a joke. Seriously, there's Middle Earth Mirth & the Chat Room for that. Savvy? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Since this is a joke, I'm moving it to the Mirth forum. You may continue reading and posting there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

That was a really funny joke. You really had me going there for a while. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
Gollum wasn't trying to destroy the Ring, he was trying to steal it. He wanted to have his Precious back. And Frodo didn't stab him, Gollum bit off his finger and fell.
Too true, Tinuviel. I think it was made quite clear from Shelob's Lair on that Gollum wanted to steal the Ring. T'was his precious, you know. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #11
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

I am mildly amused that several lotr fans fell for such a prank. My hat's off to whoever came up with the joke.

Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote