The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #41
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Check-ins begin in approximately ten minutes.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #42
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay. It bothered me, why would Greenie behave that dubiously and I checked the rules for something that I thought might apply...
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh rulez
the committee will not be able to discuss anything until the end of the first hour
So she was trying to signal a possible fellow-wolf? I mean if they don't know each others identities, then they should try to do something to not let a fellow-lynch to happen.

Which thought actuslly puts the idea of no lynch thisHour into a different light as well...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #43
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So if I understand this correctly, if the voting is tied, we don't lynch anyone, but every non-vote is cast randomly?

In that case trying to orchestrate a tie/non-lynch is impossible considering the number of people who will likely miss the vote.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #44
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay.

I'll go for a try.

++ Greenie
Old 04-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #45
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I don't really feel comfortable voting for someone (unless we go for someone who hasn't spoken yet, as Inzil suggested, but that seems unfair considering how little those who are here have said), since there's not really enough to go on to make any proper suspicion. On the other hand, the alternative means that we're giving the wolves- erm, Committee members- a free Hour, but on the other hand (Yes, a third hand, I know), there's a large chance of killing an innocent, which would be worse.
It does seem a bit unsporting to get someone who hasn't posted. I just don't really know who else to vote for though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
The thing about Greenie I dislike / suspect is that she goes on explaining why a wolf wouldn't have done what wilwa did (dare to talk about how a seer might try to play) and that that is the reason she feels good about her.

Really, a wolf would exactly "dare" to do that. A wolf would love to point that out if none else had done it as the seer surely has thought of that. And I remember Greenie most often being on the camp which says "you elitists don't you think the gifteds can't think themselves!" when someone dares to suggest something to the gifteds - but now she thinks the seer might not have thought of the obvious?

So that I find a bit dubious.
x/d with Mac and Nog

I guess I see what you're saying. It's a bit thin, but that's hardly surprising this time.

I see Mac has elaborated on his Wilwa bad vibe, which he readily admits is pretty thin.

Crud.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #46
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
But Nog, the fact that they are not allowed to discuss would suggest that they do know the identities of the others. Though I quite like the sound of the idea of letting the committee attack each other, I doubt a Mod would allow such things.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #47
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
In that case trying to orchestrate a tie/non-lynch is impossible considering the number of people who will likely miss the vote.
unless we establish our intentions early enough... which I think we should do (not an exemplary Hour thisHour... ).
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #48
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Quote:
So if I understand this correctly, if the voting is tied, we don't lynch anyone, but every non-vote is cast randomly?

Incorrect, sir. If someone misses two votes without reason, then their vote will be cast toward a random guest. And yes, in the event of a tie, no one dies.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #49
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
thisHour
I like it. That's definitely better than what I was using.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #50
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

Does that only go for the second consecutive non-vote? I don't remember.

x/d again with last three.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #51
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
There's what, 11 people? 3 wolves, 3 gifteds, 5 ordos, high chance of hitting an innocent, especially with so little information to go on.
Lower than the chances of hitting an innocent in a village of 16 with 4 wolves. Also, there is rarely much to go on in Day 1.

This bugs me. I mean, I can see wanting to prolong a game that may be short, but, as I see it, skipping toDay's lynch is actually to the baddies' advantage.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #52
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ah, got it.

Then let's tie it:

++Wilwa
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #53
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:

Good point. I forgot that, but non-voting will actually just take the lynch out of one's own hands and put oneself at risk.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #54
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

My mind is too jumbled to come up with anything clear thisHour, so I think I'll have to abstain.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #55
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

All right.

++Wilwa

Cos I'm more sure about Mac's innocence than Nog's.

Best I've got.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #56
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Actually, that's a good point. If we're tying:

++Lottie
Old 04-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #57
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Interesting...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #58
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Does that only go for the second consecutive non-vote? I don't remember.

x/d again with last three.
Oh, ok then.

I'm not on board with a tie/non-lynch, and my two suspects are up for lynching. Hm.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #59
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Ack. DL.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #60
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Interesting...
Indeed. It should probably worry me that I'm getting innocent vibes from Mac.

x/d with Rikae x 2
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #61
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Interesting...
Very.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #62
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Please feel free to take your bags up to your rooms. The young man at the desk will have your keys. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.

(Deadline.)

Sorry, all. It's a bit mad around here, so I'll fill in the actual story line later.

Wilwa has left the Cobbler. She was part of the committee.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 04-14-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #63
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

If Wilwa is innocent then clearly Mac and Inzil conspired to save their packmate Greenie.

Last edited by Macalaure; 04-14-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: crossed with the mod
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #64
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

So when will you tell us the result SS so that we can continue the discussion?

I mean do I go to sleep or are you telling it like soonsh that I should stay up for a moment still?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #65
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Oaky. I think I'm really off with the rules.

Last time I read them I got the idea we can talk 24/7 but now as I skimmed them through I couldn't be that definitive anymore.

So do we have Nights and Days (Nights= not talking) even if we just call them hours. or are some "hours" just for silence?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #66
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Once you've all checked in, we'll be serving drinks in the main lobby, and we'll have some entertainment arriving shortly, weather permitting.

(Yeah, keep talking. There's no silent phase for the ordos.)
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #67
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Hm... that IS an interesting twist.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #68
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
So Mac and Inzil have a high probability of not being wolves. Because at that point there were enough people with zero that picking another wolf to tie it would have been a risk I wouldn't want to take were I in that position.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #69
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

okay. Just trying to figure this out by checking the rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rules
All players may post on the thread at all times. Each phase of the game will represent a single hour spent in the Cobbler.

Though Days and Nights technically do not exist in this game, wolves may only PM during “Night” phases.
So we are allowed to post 24/7?

Then every 24 hours we vote for someone and every next 24 hours the wolves try to eliminate one? But we call them Hours and not Days / Nights, even if they follow each other the same way as Days & Nights. And thus the only difference is that the speech is free all the time (except for the wolves who can only plot every other Hour)?

But what then does this mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
Please feel free to take your bags up to your rooms. The young man at the desk will have your keys.
So we'll continue discussion from our rooms - in Facebook or msn (imaginary or real?)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rules
Failing to vote on any two Days of the game (not consecutively) without reasoning will result in your vote being cast toward a random person in the game (decided by die roll). You will be included in your own absentee roll.

Votes must be highlighted and time-stamped at or before X:00. Anything time-stamped after the hour will not be counted.
Okay, you explained the first one already. But how strict will you be with the highlighting thing? I mean technically I think we lynched no one if non-highlighted votes do not count?

Quote:
The game will begin with a Day phase; thus, the committee will not be able to discuss anything until the end of the first hour (allowing time for the group to meet, mingle, and then sort of get to business). I am happy to take suggestions on whether it would be a terrible idea to not reveal the other committee members until the end of the first Day phase.
So it is an issue that was only suggested and pending...

Well, my suspicion on Greenie rests on the "committee members" in fact not knowing each other - as that was how I somehow had read that piece in the rules earlier. In that case she might have had a motive to signal to her partner (and that would have been pretty witty way of doing it), but if they knew each other already, then that of course would have been futile and risky - something I don't think Greenie would have done.

So could you deart SS elaborate on these few questions?

EDIT: X'd with the SS, one question answered, a few still to come...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #70
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Oh, wow. Can't believe I got it right. This calls for a Guinness, I believe.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #71
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

And I'd say that wilwa being a wolf definitely means she had wanted to set up a false Seer play somewhere on down the line.

And she wanted to not raise any flags with the village on whether or not to lynch today. Lucky synchronicity there between Mac and Inzil to give us an early lead.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #72
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
And I'd say that wilwa being a wolf definitely means she had wanted to set up a false Seer play somewhere on down the line.
And now, Nog is right. It does implicate Greenie.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #73
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Wow, guess I'm not that rusty after all.

I know it's not in the intended spirit of this game, but I would advise against too much analysis etc. during the night phase. It really only helps the wolves to sort out their own kill if they know who the inn thinks is innocent and who not. Usually they have some guesswork to do regarding the village's upcoming reaction to the lynch, which complicates their kill decision.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #74
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

I was referring to this, in case it's not clear.

And I'm tired and my mind still feels jumbled so I'm going to retire to my room for the next half an Hour.

edit: x-ed with Mac, who's right of course.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #75
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Completely surprised that this started already. I'm too used to startup days that are longer than usual... anyway, I'm hanging about now.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #76
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I know it's not in the intended spirit of this game, but I would advise against too much analysis etc. during the night phase. It really only helps the wolves to sort out their own kill if they know who the inn thinks is innocent and who not. Usually they have some guesswork to do regarding the village's upcoming reaction to the lynch, which complicates their kill decision.
I agree with this. The committee gets to discuss "real-time" what's said. I wouldn't say "no talking" either, just to watch what you say.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #77
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I agree with this. The committee gets to discuss "real-time" what's said. I wouldn't say "no talking" either, just to watch what you say.
Dangit, Inzil. Every time I try to get ahead in the post count apparently you have something to say. If you hadn't found a wolf, I might be getting a bit upset right now.

/good-natured ribbing
Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #78
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Dangit, Inzil. Every time I try to get ahead in the post count apparently you have something to say. If you hadn't found a wolf, I might be getting a bit upset right now.

/good-natured ribbing
Something.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #79
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Yep.

I just meant the long-y analysis posts or any points one wouldn't expect anybody to come up with by themselves.

They will be able to see the general flow of opinions, there's nothing that can be done about that. Considering how unpredictable the reaction to even fairly clear gifted reveals can sometimes be, that's a significant advantage.

If I were into conspiracy and odd tactics, I'd say let's all post stuff we don't really mean during the night.

I'm suspecting Inzil quite a bit right now. His vote looks incredibly fishy to me.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #80
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I'm suspecting Inzil quite a bit right now. His vote looks incredibly fishy to me.
I think you'll have my vote next Hour as well. It's best to be sure.

A rather slow start to the game, but I foresee interesting times ahead. I'd expect nothing less from a Sally-moddess.