The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2002, 03:29 PM   #121
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eeeek!! I’m late with the results! Alrighty here they are…<P>Best: I made a promise Mr. Frodo, a promise. Don’t you lose him Samwise Gamgee, and I don’t mean to, I don’t mean to.<P>Worst: What are you doing?! Those Wraiths are still out there!<P>Sorry I’m so late. Seeing as how I’ve got people begging me to do <B>Merry</B> I suppose we can do him for fear of what will happen to me if we don’t. Ya'll go ahead and vote I'll have to come back later. My mom wants me off the computer.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:55 PM   #122
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

All Merry's lines were good...even that nasty one where he said "That rules you out, Pip." But since he was picking on Pippin, I'll say that's his worst. (Fuzzy logic, I know).<P>As for his best, it's either:<P>1: "This, my friend, is a pint!"<P>Or 2:, this "punch line" from the scene in Farmer Maggot's field:<P><B>Merry:</B> "I don't know why he's so upset. It's only a couple of carrots." <BR><B>Pippin:</B> "And some cabbages. And then those three bags of potatoes we lifted last week, and, and, the mushrooms, the week before." <BR><B>Merry:</B> "Yes, Pippin, my point is, he's clearly over reacting. Run!"
Old 10-21-2002, 04:00 PM   #123
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All of Merry's lines were great! Ummm errrr,but i guess...<P>Worst: The blackrider was looking for something...or someone. (it was something like that)<P>Best: 1. This my friend is a pint!<BR> 2. Merry: That was good.<BR> Pippin: Let's get another one.<BR> (or is it the other way around? <BR> no matter, they are both so funny!!)<p>[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: LadyElbereth ]
Old 10-21-2002, 07:31 PM   #124
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

Pippin's best lines:<P> The scene in Farmer Maggot's fields...hehehehehe <P> "Oohh...I think I've broken something!"<P> "This, my friends, is a PINT!"<P> The fireworks scene:<BR> <BR> Merry: "No, big one, BIG ONE!"<BR> (a few minutes later)<BR> Merry: "It's supposed to be in the ground!"<BR> Pippin: "It is in the ground!" <BR> Merry: "Outside!"<BR> Pippin: "This was your idea!"<BR> Merry and Pippin: "AAAHH!!!!"<BR> (after the dragon firework is done)<BR> Pippin: "That was good."<BR> Merry: "Let's get another one."<P> I love all his and Pippin's lines!!!<P> But...worst line:<P> "That black rider was looking for something. Or someONE." I dunno, he just sounds kinda menacing when he says it.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:49 PM   #125
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merry had lines? Hmm . . . For some reason, they haven't stuck in my head! (Too much stuff already in there ) <P>I have to agree, that the "Black rider" line was . . . not good. <P>Best line . . . I'm having difficulty remembering them! Uh . . . I like the firework scene!!! It's soooo cool! I also like it when he says "That leaves you out Pip." I think those are his best lines. (At least until I remember some better ones! )

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #126
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Normally, for any other character, I'd let your mistakes pass, but not for Merry, because he has the SINGLE BEST LINE IN THE ENTIRE FILM!<P>And it goes something like this:<P>"Eggs, sausages, NICE CRISPY BACON!!!!!!!"<P>Debate over.<BR>Worst line, maybe the screams that he does in Moria and at Amon Hen.<P>"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"
Old 10-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #127
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the best part would be for me:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Nothing important. That is, I heard a good deal about a ring, and a dark lord, and something about the end of the world. Please don't hurt me, sir, don't turn me into anything unnatural. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>and the worst would be:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Let's hunt some Orc! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I really hate that last line, who does he think he is,Rambo?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #128
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>All Merry's lines were good...even that nasty one where he said "That rules you out, Pip." But since he was picking on Pippin, I'll say that's his worst. (Fuzzy logic, I know <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, in the book, that's Gandalf's line. Anyway....<P>I like the whole Farmer Maggot Scene.<P>If Merry had a bad line it was the black rider one.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:02 PM   #129
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Actually, in the book, that's Gandalf's line. Anyway.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know; that's why it seemed rather nasty coming from Merry.<P>(BTW, Eomer, the "nice crispy bacon" line is something I love to quote, just the way he says it. There just was too many good'uns to choose from.)
Old 10-22-2002, 04:11 PM   #130
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THAT LINE!! Heh heh. I love anything that has to do with food! Can I change my vote? Merry's best is definatly "Nice crispy bacon." <P>"Put it out you fools, put it out!" That one was not so good.

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 10-23-2002, 12:23 PM   #131
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Put it out you fools, put it out!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Frodo said that, not Merry and yes you can change your vote. Here's my vote on Merry.<P>Best: Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon. <P>Either that one or...<P>No, no, the big one, big one!<P>Worst: Ok. Want a tomatoe Sam?<P>I don't like that line because I don't think that they used the expression "OK". Anyone agree?
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Old 10-24-2002, 09:50 AM   #132
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

this time i didn't miss the voteing! yay. ok 4 merry i have:<BR>bestest lines~ <BR>1) "This, my friend, is a pint."<BR>2) "What do you suppose that means?"<BR>3) "Oi! We're coming too! You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us."<P>worstest lines~ *sighs* as i have said b4, there are no bad lines from hobbits!
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 04:34 PM   #133
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Aheh heh heh. I know that's Frodo's line. (Really!) I was just reminded of it when I quoted Merry. And I don't like it. (The line.) Aaaaand, since we weren't DOING Frodo, I hardly felt uh . . . able to say it was his worst line. I just thought I'd give my opinion on that line at the time. Heh. <P>Sorry if anyone misunderstood me. (Happens' a LOT! )<P>A talent for trouble thats me!

Old 10-25-2002, 11:08 PM   #134
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Worst: <BR>Aragorn: "Let's hunt some orc."<BR>Arwen: "If you want him, come and take him"<BR>Galadriel: "They shall have a queen...blah blah (eyes pop out)"<P>Best dialogue (<BR>can't quote it verbatim) Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me." Gandalf: "So do all who find themselves in such times..."<P>Pippin: "Pints! It comes in pints? I'm getting one."<P>Galadriel: "...but there is still hope if the fellowship remains true."
Old 10-29-2002, 04:41 PM   #135
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Merry results...<P>Best: This my friend is a pint.<P>Worst: That Black Rider was looking for something, or someone. Frodo?<P>Alrighty I get to pick the next character. I choose [B]Frodo[/B. It's about time we did him. I'll come back after I scan the script.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:33 PM   #136
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Ring

<B>Frodo's Best:</B><BR>1. "What must I do?"<BR>2. "I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way."<BR>3. "It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance!"<BR>4. "I know what it is you're going to say, and it would seem like wisdom if not for the warning in my heart."<BR>5. "Go on Sam, have a dance with Rose!" (I just liked it that they got Rose into the movie!)<P>I can't think of a worst, but maybe I'll edit this post after I read what others have to say.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:32 PM   #137
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Frodo's best line . . . hmm . . . Heh. Someone needs to see the movie again! <P>"It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance." I know nobody else will vote for this, but he delivers it so well! (And of course, it's then followed by Gandalf's best line! )<P>Worst line: "Put it out you fools! Put it out! " As I already stated prematurly.

Old 10-29-2002, 07:34 PM   #138
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best: 1."You're late."<BR> 2."Go on Sam, have a dance with Rose!"<P>Worst:ummm, I guess it would be, "Get off the road!"
Old 10-29-2002, 10:09 PM   #139
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance." I know nobody else will vote for this, but he delivers it so well! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey, what? Minty, I already voted for it too!
Old 10-30-2002, 06:08 AM   #140
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Best: "I'm going to Mordor alone!" (which is, of course, followed by perhaps Sam's best line)<P>Worst: "It would seem like wisdom but for the warning in my heart." Yeah right, like anyone would say that.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:19 AM   #141
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Ring

Eomer, you heathen! That line is straight from the book! (Sorry, I'm just monitoring these replies looking for a worst line to vote for myself.)
Old 10-30-2002, 09:42 PM   #142
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

Here's my vote. <BR> <BR>Frodo <BR>Bestest lines: <BR>1) Shire! Baggins?! But that would lead them here!<BR>2) I will take it! I will take it! (everyone else stops and listens to him) I will take the ring to Mordor… Though … Though I do not know the way.<BR>3)It's a riddle. Speak friend, and enter. What's the elvish word for friend?<P>Worstest line: hmmmmmmmmm let's see there's SO many!!!! omgosh u ppl need to learn! no hobbits have any bad lines, let alone my own cousin!
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:17 AM   #143
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Is it straight from the book? Oh well, I'm still not fond of it.<P>I think any line involving "my heart" is a bit bad.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:15 AM   #144
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmm.. Frodo's best.. I think it's "You're late". As for the worst, I'm not sure, but it buggers me that Lij' <I>never</I> pronounce Mordor correctly..
Old 11-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #145
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Yep. That really bugged me too. I mean, he IS supposed to be a student of elvish speech! And he can't even say Mordor! Personally, I didn't care for Elijah Wood's portrayal of Frodo, he should have read the books. Heh heh. Someone should go tie him up and FORCE him to read them! Mwhahahahahah! <P>And I pay attention Diamond18! Really!!! <BR> BTW, "Minty" is my twins name, so when you called me that I was like, huh? It took me a minute to figure out what you were sayin'! Heh heh. (Smart she is not!)<p>[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Mintyztwin ]

Old 11-01-2002, 11:44 PM   #146
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Okay, I'll remember to use your full name from now on. I'm just so lazy...<P>And if I was Elijah Wood I would never have admitted to not reading the books. I would have lied through my teeth about it. "Oh me? I read them once a year...have since I was four <I>*whistles nervously*</I>"
Old 11-02-2002, 09:34 AM   #147
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

No kidding. He's just silly. And lazy. And proud. And a real stinker. (It's a leeeeeetle early over here, in case you can't tell! )

Old 11-02-2002, 11:48 AM   #148
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I still find it hard to be the main character and not read the books.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:00 PM   #149
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I seem to be the only one that appreciates Elijah's work. I think he did a splended job. <P>I'm going totally against Eomer in saying I think Frodo's lines to Boromir during the breaking of the fellowship were his best. He delivered them in just the right way and was made even better by the fact that Sean Bean was acting that part well too. Frodo's best line from that part was definatly:<P>"I know what you would say and it would seem like wisdom but for the warning in my heart."<P>That, my friends, is pure Tolkien.<P>Frodo's worst line was...NOTHING! HA!
Old 11-02-2002, 12:20 PM   #150
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

It wasn't really a bad line but they forced me to pick one! I'm sorry, I'M SORRY!!!!!<P>And Elijah Wood did read the book as a child. He was ecstatic about getting the part, and not just because of the money!
Old 11-02-2002, 04:00 PM   #151
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Tolkien

Elijah read "The Hobbit" as a child, not LotR. Anyway, he said that he read LotR after the movie, so at least he's read it.<P>I liked his performance, I'm not saying I didn't... And wohoo! Yes, it was pure Tolkien..."my heart" and all. Anyway, what am I yammering about? Oh, I've decided not to go back and edit my post. He really didn't have a bad line.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:33 PM   #152
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
Sting

Frodo's Best:<BR>1) I will take the ring to Mordor! Though... I do not know the way...<BR>2) NOOOOO!!!!! (when Gandalf falls in Moria)<BR>3) You are late!<P>Little late, but my fav Pippin lines were"steady on, Frodo!" in Bree, and "I'm hungry" in moria.<P>More late quotes:<BR>Gandalf just kicks sooo much tail! Here are my fav Gandalf lines:<BR>1) Fly you fools!<BR>2) YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS!!!<BR>3) Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and RID us of your STUPIDITY!<P>We need to give props to the talking ring! My favorite thing said by the ring was: "Aragorn....ELSSAR..."<P>Elrond's WORST line was: "You have only one choice" - I was waiting for him to say "...Mr. ANDERSON..."<P>I think PJ's cameo and bass boomin' burp make up for all the corny bad lines :-)
Old 11-02-2002, 10:04 PM   #153
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo's best line: "I'm not like you, Bilbo." Underscores the entire concept of reluctant but dutiful self-sacrifice (as opposed to Bilbo's "Well, let's have at it" attitude.)<P>Frodo's worst line: no worst lines-- I just hate it when PJ has him scared and slithering backwards into a corner instead of charging, Sting drawn, like Tokien describes Frodo in the books. But that's the scriptwriter's & director's fault, not Wood's.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:21 PM   #154
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'm finally able to post my vote! I've been spending a lot of time on a school project this past week. My Frodo vote...<P>Best:<BR>1. I know what you would say and it would seem like wisdom but for the warning in my heart.<BR>2. There is no other way.<BR>3. I'm going to Mordor alone.<P>Worst: What's the Elvish word for friend?<P>I don't like that part in the movie!!! Why did PJ have to change it? It makes Gandalf look pretty dum and also Frodo should have known the Elvish word for friend!!! <BR>I think I'm going to give people a little bit more time to vote because right now there's a three-way tie for best and worst and the lines for the worst only have one vote each. So I will probably post the results later tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:46 PM   #155
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Um . . . I liked that part. In the book, Gandalf isn't the . . wait . . . let me check this before I totally stick my foot in my mouth! Hmm . . . you're right! Gandalf is the one that figured it out! All by his own self! Although it took him awhile. And hey, Boromir threw the rocks in the water! Not Pip and Merry! And Gimli is the one who said, the whole, "Simple, really, if you're a freind you speak the password!" And I say I really need to read the books again!

Old 11-05-2002, 06:07 PM   #156
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I'd have to agree with Firondoiel RE:Frodo's worst line. <BR>Frodo would have known the Elvish word for friend (Mellon) - but it was Gandalf who figured the riddle out. I<BR> couldn't think of a worst line on my own (I know, how unoriginal), but I'm definately in agreement on this one. This line sucks orc-draght BIG TIME.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:22 AM   #157
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

I'll let you in on a secret. I had no idea if Wood read the book as a child. I just knew he dressed up as a Hobbit and sent PJ a tape.<P>Jumping to conclusions eh? Doesn't always get you more than a smart reply. (sorry Diamond)
Old 11-06-2002, 04:50 PM   #158
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Frodo Results. There's still a three-way tie for best.<P>1. You're late.<BR>2.I will take it! I will take it! I will take the ring to Mordor... Though - though I do not know the way. <BR>3. I know what you would say, and it would seem like wisdom, but for the warning in my heart. <P>Worst: What's the Elvish word for friend?<P>Glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes that part! Next character, how about <B>Boromir</B>? My opinion on him...<P>Best: I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king. <P>Worst: It's still sharp.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #159
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Hah! I know this!!!! (Really!) <P>Boromir's Best: "They have a cave troll." I love how he says that!!! Even if nobody else does!!) <BR>More best lines: "I would have followed you my brother, etc."<P>"Frodo, I'm sorry!!" That line just cut me to the heart. I had never really liked Boromir in the books, but the instant he said that line, I just about died! Until HE died, I clutched my friend's hand, and whispered, "He's going to die! (Friend's name) He's going to die!" over and over. Heh. I think I made the other people crazy!!<P>Worst line: "Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." He actually delivers it well, (Sean Bean did an excellent job, BTW ) but it's just like, . . . yerg. I don't think he said that in the books, did he? Okay, that's all for now, folks!

Old 11-06-2002, 09:44 PM   #160
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Ring

I agree with Mintyztwin about his worst line, the "Gondor needs no King." Hmmmm...it had "for those who haven't read the book" written all over it.<P>Best:<P>1. Our people, our people! I would have followed you to the end... my brother... my captain... my king!<P>2. It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.