The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Tolkien Events 2018

While it's quite late, I thought I would start a thread for events happening this year, including Oxonmoot 2018, on 20th - 23rd September, and the exhibition in the Bodleian Library, Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth, on 1st June - 28th October:

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/events/oxonmoot-2018/

https://tolkien.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/

The exhibition in the Bod has 2 threads already, thanks to Mithalwen and Lalaith:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19144

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19222

I hope to go to both. Does anyone else here have similar plans, and has anyone already seen the exhibition?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I went today to the Tolkien exhibition and it is AMAZING.
Hand-drawn maps, original artwork, writings, personal belongings, photographs, I could have stayed there all day. It really conveyed what an incredibly talented artist Tolkien was, on top of all his other talents.
There were so many highlights it would be difficult to pick one, but I might select a page of script which is an early opening draft of the Lay of Luthien, or perhaps the handwritten and corrected copy of the Ride of the Rohirrim, or the pages of the book of Mazarbul, authentically burnt and treated by Tolkien who hoped to have facsimiles published as illustrations in the Lord of the Rings (the publishers refused on grounds of expense!)
It's on until October, and it really, really is worth going.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Thank you for your review!

Thank you for your review of the exhibition, Lalaith! It's nice to read that you 'could have stayed there all day', and that what was there 'really conveyed what an incredibly talented artist Tolkien was, on top of all his other talents'.

I'll certainly take note of the 3 highlights you particuarly mentioned: the early opening draft of the Lay of Luthien; 'the handwritten and corrected copy of the Ride of the Rohirrim'; and the pages of the Book of Mazarbul, authentically burnt and treated by Tolkien. What you wrote certainly confirmed my decision to see the exhibition in September.

If anyone else here has also seen the exhibition, it would help others (including myself) who have already decided to go there, and others who are at least considering doing so.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Faramir, have you booked for Oxonmoot yet? They are running out of places ....
Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up I have, thanks!

Pervinca, thanks for reminding me about the booking situation. Luckily, I was in touch over 2 weeks ago, but even then, had difficulties due to the demand. The TS admitted it was 'blown away' by the increased demand; but I pointed out that the people concerned should congratulate themselves, the demand being a result of their success!

I'll get in touch with you privately about this.

Has anyone else here booked for the 'moot?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I'm signed up, and will be there from the beginning this time. I didn't manage to get a room in the college, but fortunately St Hugh's has some.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Glad that you're coming!

Squatter, I'm glad that you're coming, and that you got a room in St. Hugh's, which isn't too far from St. Antony's.

The TS's website has the programme for the 'moot up:

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2018/...mme-announced/

It also warns us under 'How to Book':

Places are extremely limited for this year’s Oxonmoot. You can book meals until Friday 24th August, and you can still book registration via our website until we have completely sold out. Places are limited to 270 and we are currently at 255.

Looking forward to seeing you there, and all the others!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I wasn't able to come to Oxonmoot this year, but I did manage to attend the German Tolkien Seminar in Aachen in October. Now I'm looking forward to finishing the year with a Tolkienesque bang - the Tolkien Ensemble and an orchestra are touring in Germany with a concert of LotR and Hobbit movie music, with Billy Boyd singing and/or narrating. They'll be in the nearby city on New Year's Eve - what a great way to celebrate!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote