The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Father Christmas Letters: 1938

The picture that goes with the 1938 Christmas letter is incomplete - appropriately, it's titled "Setting Out". It's a line drawing (coloured pencil) of Father Christmas in the sleigh, pulled by two reindeer. In the letter, he writes that he did not have time to draw a big picture and is therefore sending some rhymes instead.

The letter is addressed to "Priscilla and all others at your house", so by this time, she must be the only one who still corresponds with FC. Christopher is mentioned, with hopes that he is better, so apparently he was ill. His present is mentioned - a book about astronomy and telescopes. We know Tolkien had some interest in astronomy, and apparently the children did as well.

Priscilla's bears are mentioned, several of them by name - they number 60 or more!

The poem itself is written by Father Christmas with some additions and interruptions by the North Polar Bear and Ilbereth. This is no great literary poetry, but simple rhymes, not even necessarily accurate ones. It's meant to be fun, with word playing such as "You're half past nine", meaning Priscilla's age, interrupted by Ilbereth with "She is not a clock!" NPB calls Ilbereth "thinuous" instead of "fatuous", as he is thin, not fat.

The letter is embellished and some of its letters illuminated. I haven't been able to find an image of the one page that is reproduced in my book, so I hope those of you who have it will comment!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
The letter is addressed to "Priscilla and all others at your house", so by this time, she must be the only one who still corresponds with FC. Christopher is mentioned, with hopes that he is better, so apparently he was ill. His present is mentioned - a book about astronomy and telescopes. We know Tolkien had some interest in astronomy, and apparently the children did as well.

Priscilla's bears are mentioned, several of them by name - they number 60 or more!
I realise my edition of the book is really robbing me of all this - the 1938 letter in my book contains only the poem and not any letter itself (and so of course, I have lived in the belief that this is all there is in the letter. At least the pictures are preserved).

Quote:
The poem itself is written by Father Christmas with some additions and interruptions by the North Polar Bear and Ilbereth. This is no great literary poetry, but simple rhymes, not even necessarily accurate ones. It's meant to be fun, with word playing such as "You're half past nine", meaning Priscilla's age, interrupted by Ilbereth with "She is not a clock!" NPB calls Ilbereth "thinuous" instead of "fatuous", as he is thin, not fat.
I really like the poem, though! And exactly all those PB's jokes. Since, like I said, I don't have the original, but only the translation, it is probably somewhat different, but still funny.

Question: I assume it is so also in the original, but let me just ask - does the PB also make grammatical mistakes in English? (If so, could you give an example?)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yes, the PB does make spelling and grammar mistakes. Let me look up a few examples:

Quote:
1940: Ar having verry DIFFICULT time this year but ar doing my our best.
1933: Only ther was more like 1000 goblins than 15.
1931: Father Christmas has wakt up.
Spelling mistakes: bizy/bisy, sez, haz, kurrants, kood, hevy, langwidge, reely, exploashion, wot, leest...
In searching, I noticed that the first letters which include the North Polar Bear don't have spelling or grammar mistakes - apparently that trait was developed in time, perhaps when the children were old enough to read the letters themselves.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I absolutetly adore FC's poem! It's so funny with all those additions by the squabbling PB and Ilbereth!
Perhaps this is no "literary poetry", but I actually think it is much more deserving of the title "poem" than modern so-called poems which don't rhyme, have no rythm at all and are in reality just prose, written in short lines!!
(a propos funny poems, I am a bit reminded of Christian Morgenstern...don't know if you know him, Esty)

Last edited by Guinevere; 01-08-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: got a word wrong.I meant squabble, not quibble
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thanks for the examples, Esty! Anyway I think I will make it one of my objectives to get some English (and most of all, complete) edition of FC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
(a propos funny poems, I am a bit reminded of Christian Morgenstern...don't know if you know him, Esty)
Everybody has to know him! Some of his poems have even been translated (yes, translating such kind of poems... but good for me, since I don't know any German) - and only as a curiosity, since I'm already talking about this, several of the translations had been even put into music by one Czech band, for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGTF7ev5sA
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I scanned the facsimile of the poem and try to give a link to it (with the help of my husband & son) I hope this works, I think you have to click on it to enlarge it.