The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #81
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Bah. I'm at work right now, and expecting an appointment in a few minutes ( @ Lommy), so I need to go ahead and vote.

I wanted to give Shasta the benefit of the doubt and entertain some other possibilities, but no one else really looks as potentially bad at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
In any case, I'm least okay with Pitch at the moment and most okay with Nerwen (mostly for her views on the cobbler). I'm going to try and sleep now - although I don't hold out too much hope considering the dark dankness of this cell.
He's "okay" with Pitch there, despite the earlier suspicion of him.

Quote:
Not really liking Greenie at the moment - mostly for saying Lottie 'feels genuine' when I already pointed out her reasons for suspecting me are bunk.
Now suspicious of Greenie.

Quote:
++Pitch

I don't like Lottie's contrived reasons to vote for me, but she more often contrives reasons to vote when she's innocent, so I'll leave her alone today. Pitch sticks out as more suspicious to me today - agreeable, doesn't touch on more than the obvious topic of the cobbler, etc.
Votes Pitch. Because he wasn't talking of the Cobbler?

Well, then:

++Shasta

Not a lock by any means, but no one else jumps out as much.

x/d with all since # 77
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #82
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
hm, have been getting phone-calls all night, uhm Osanwe Kenta calls I mean, and never really had time for a closer look at people... Would rather see Shasta than Lottie go though...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #83
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay. A hastily gathered "impressions-list" for now.

Most probably will not vote toDay(unless something drastic happens)

Ozban - newbie-pass, with quite a nice performance thus far
Glirdan - is kind of hypernervous when a wolf and doesn't look like that right now
Loslote -tends to get lynched early on most of the time; she seems to act suspiciously "by nature".

Eönwë - only came in, no idea as now, subject to change when he posts.

I'd lean not voting toDay at least on the possible suspicions I could have right now.

Legate of Amon Lanc - someone said he was wishy-washy (or something), I'd say he's explaining everyhing too much - and doing Legate 360's...
Boromir88 - acts a bit weird but maybe it's just this "new Boromir" we've seen in a few last games?

Total quetionmarks but would love to see more... (they have said things anyway)

Nerwen
A Little Green

Somewhat weary of or could vote...

Pitchwife - I'm a bit worried about his defencive-thoroughness, like there was a case to proof against Shasta's odd (bordering ridiculous) suspicions.
Shastanis Althreduin - makes me uneasy with his odd suspicions on Pitchie and all that jazz with Lottie (of the two I find Shasta more suspicious).

A bit anxious about these: they have been around, have posted but I still can't form an opinion on them... maybe because they haven't said anything? Prove me wrong!
skip spence
wilwarin538
Inziladun

I'd rather vote one of the last five toDay.

EDIT: X'd from my last post onwards
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #84
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil
He's "okay" with Pitch there, despite the earlier suspicion of him.
Read what you quote, please. Shasta said 'least okay', as in 'most not-okay', so whatever he's done, contradicting himself isn't among it. Mistake, or twisting words?
Not that I disagree so much with the vote itself...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #85
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Ozban has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I mean it goes to everyone anyone of you feel right now, "hmm, nothing alarming there", or "kind of nice, hard to form an opinion", "s/he's been there but not much to say" etc.
Fair thought, There are quite a few "submarinish" guys out there. That's surely worth considering. Don't they have time? Or they just stay low purposefully?

Oh screw it! this is too much for my mind to analyze.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #86
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Prove me wrong!
Don't really see how that's possible at this point.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #87
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
Wow, I had forgotten Lottie actually voted for him. Well, that does make them being fellows a bit more improbable. Potentially sacrificing a fellow on Day 1 just like that would seem really stupid - the gain is not worth the risk. Especially seeing as Shasta wasn't really suspected at all until Lottie brought it up.. Everything's possible, for sure, but some scenarios are highly improbable compared to others.
As stupid as it would be (and I totally agree that the scenario I'm about to throw out there is highly unlikely at this stage in the game, but not unheard of), it is possible that they are doing just that.

A Lottiewolf and Shastawolf would be bold enough to throw one or the other under the bus on Day 1 if it actually came down to saving their own skin. I've been a victim of that before myself.

However, as I said, the possibility and likelihood of that being the actual case is rather slim.

I am still inclined, however, to believe that at least one of the two is a Wolf.

At this point, I am more inclined to believe it to be Shasta.

When Lottie started accusing him, he became rather defensive, but it did not seem like an innocent trying to save himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Lottie - That's silly. I clarified a rule for Wilwa. What about that should be worrying? I'll give you a hint - the answer's 'nothing'. And as for being 'nonconfrontational' - I was the first to evidence actual suspicion of a specific person (Pitch, to be precise), so I don't really know where you're getting 'nonconfrontational' from.
It seems a little too aggressive to be an innocent trying to save himself.

Here are the next three post exchanges between him and Lottie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Like I said, it's early in Day 1, and I'm probably wrong anyway. Total gut feeling, and I was trying to describe why...I'm hardly saying you're without question evil, just that you're my top (and only, really) suspect. As for your response, it sounds like the Wolf!Shastas I've seen before - really aggressive. As for the suspicion, you included a with it, so I didn't really pay much attention to that.

Repeat: Not solid proof that you're evil. Not even close. Complete gut feeling - but I don't trust you.
Quote:
Fair enough, but you don't get to call me 'nonconfrontational' in one breath and then 'aggressive' in the next. It doesn't work like that.

In any case, I'm least okay with Pitch at the moment and most okay with Nerwen (mostly for her views on the cobbler). I'm going to try and sleep now - although I don't hold out too much hope considering the dark dankness of this cell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Aggressively nonconfrontational? You don't think so?

Actually, I meant to call your response post aggressive, and the posts before that nonconfrontational. Sort of careful, then switch to defensively aggressive, that sort of thing...
Lottie also brings up the fact that he is being aggressive in his response.

Also, his accusation of Pitch at first is very playful banter.

Quote:
In other news, I'm finding something slightly off about Pitch. He's only made one post thus far, but as I read it there were points at which I felt he was being awfully... well, the pun is inevitable... agreeable.
Later, when he mentions his suspicions of Pitch again, he says:

Quote:
There is no actual reasoning behind it and is okay with Nerwen (hmmmm....perhaps we've been barking up the wrong tree on who his fellow co-hort could be?)

He's gone (due to sleeping) for a few hours and when he comes back, all he has is this:

Quote:
Not really liking Greenie at the moment - mostly for saying Lottie 'feels genuine' when I already pointed out her reasons for suspecting me are bunk.

Note - I'm fairly sure I'm going to have to vote in about three hours, and I won't be here for much of that time.
Nothing mentioning Pitch whatsoever.

Disappears again (although gave us the note saying he would be gone for most of it) and when he comes back he FINALLY gives some reasoning of suspecting Pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Indeed, I marvel at your audacity in suggesting such a thing, Master Nogrod. Holy Elbereth, there are ladies among us, and one of them a young maiden! Have you no decency?

Flattery will get you nowhere.

As for the matter of fake reveals which you broach there, I have yet to witness such an attempt being made successfully, but historical chronicles do mention precedences. Now as you are no doubt aware, the best way for such a fake claimant to fool us would be to sacrifice a real wolf in order to gain our trust, and the cobbler is in no position to do that, even if they were willing to, being as much in the dark as to the wolves' identity as we are. They might, of course, get a wolf lynched by mistake, deeming said wolf innocent, but then that would ill save the evil side. Therefore I don't think the danger of a cobbler fake-revealing very high, considering all sides. A wolf doing it, however, would be quite a different matter, as they could use their knowledge of who is furry and who isn't to lend credibility to their pretended dreams.

On the other hand, the cobbler, or a wolf, might still risk it in the hope to thus draw out the true Seer for the wolves to kill, as you seem to be considering here:

This is a two-edged blade. A false claim that is uncontested for too long and not disproven by mislynchings might be believed over a delayed counter-reveal... I think there are precedences to that in the histories, too. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, and in the meantime I trust in the wisdom of our
Seer to handle these matters without our prompting.

(x-ed with Zil and Nogrod)
Here you are, Pitch. Bolding mine. I've noticed several other points ("Thanks for the advice" sticks out most noticably) as I've read the Day, as well.

I have to vote in a few minutes. I'd prefer not to turn this into Shasta vs. Lottie, but I will if I have to.
All of that was Pitch's first post of the Day, most of which seems like IC banter. Seems to me like a Shastawolf trying to latch onto an easy prey.

And then his vote:

Quote:
++Pitch

I don't like Lottie's contrived reasons to vote for me, but she more often contrives reasons to vote when she's innocent, so I'll leave her alone today. Pitch sticks out as more suspicious to me today - agreeable, doesn't touch on more than the obvious topic of the cobbler, etc.

Choose well, village.
He is voting based purely off Pitch's first post without taking the time to actually go through the other posts and seeing what else Pitch had posted.

So, without further ado, I know who I am voting for:

++Shasta

I will be around till the end of Day.

EDIT X'ed with everyone since end of Page 2
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #88
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

So who are you guys leaning at, Nogrod, Pitch and Ozzy?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #89
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Don't really see how that's possible at this point.
It was more of a metaphor trying to say that "convince us" you're making an effort...

EDIT: X'd with skip... heh...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #90
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I'm here, I'm here! I'll skim through and try to make a mostly logical choice.

15 minutes than, right?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #91
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yep, it's 15min to go.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #92
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

This should be right...

Lottie -> Shasta
Shasta -> Pitch
Legate -> Lottie
Inzil -> Shasta 2
Glirdy -> Shasta 3
Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #93
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Read what you quote, please. Shasta said 'least okay', as in 'most not-okay', so whatever he's done, contradicting himself isn't among it. Mistake, or twisting words?
Not that I disagree so much with the vote itself...
My appt. is late, naturally. And you're right, I misread that. I probably would still have voted for him, though.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #94
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

You know, I'm fine with ...

++Shasta
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #95
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
15 minutes? Does anyone have the tally? I feel most like voting Shasta right now, wouldn't object to voting someone nice and noncommittal either - except that lynching Shasta could give us more to analyze toMorrow, given that almost everyone has said something about him and he had some pretty strong interactions with a few villagers.

EDIT: x-ed since Lommy, thanks Nog for the tally!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #96
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Actually, Zil's sketchy and bordering-on-skewed presentation of Shasta makes me have second thoughts now...

Still, Shasta looks most shady to me, and I think finding out his alignment will tell us something about several people (including Lottie, but not only her). So:

++Shasta

Á vala Manwë!

EDIT: x-ed from #85 down
Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #97
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm back too, been trying with a vote count...

Pitch
Lottie
Shasta - 5

Uhhhh I'm not too happy with any of those. I think I'm going go random with this vote

Edit crossed with everyone since Nog's. And adjusting the vote count.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #98
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Uhhhh I'm not too happy with any of those. I think I'm going go random with this vote
???
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #99
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Of those who have gathered votes thus far I think Lottie more probably innocent and Shasta looking the most suspicious. Of my five candidates for voting I'd probably wish to see wilwa and Pitch toMorrow with better time to discuss with them.

With Skip I'm not sure if that was a joke or is he deliberately doing something there - which would be a bit to drastic for a wolf... heh, reading the general feeling wishing to lynch Ozban? Really Skip?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #100
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
So who are you guys leaning at, Nogrod, Pitch and Ozzy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
With Skip I'm not sure if that was a joke or is he deliberately doing something there - which would be a bit to drastic for a wolf... heh, reading the general feeling wishing to lynch Ozban? Really Skip?
Umm, Nog, I believe he addressed the question to Nogrod, Pitch, and Ozzy.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #101
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
???
On a matter of principle, I'm throwing my vote away since this lynch seems set and I don't want to be apart of this runaway lynch Shasta accord.

++Nerwen
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #102
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Not that it makes any difference now..

++ Shasta

Because of what I've said before, don't have the time or energy to repeat everything.

EDIT: x-ed with Boro
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #103
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Oh sorry Nogrod it was just sloppy phrasing/grammar...

Was just curious how you guys would vote.

"Nog, Pitch and Ozzy, who are you leaning towards voting for"

...would have been more comprehensible

Last edited by skip spence; 10-06-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: xed with Green who also made my point
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #104
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Lottie -> Shasta
Shasta -> Pitch
Legate -> Lottie
Inzil -> Shasta 2
Glirdy -> Shasta 3
Skip - > Shasta 4
Pitch - > Shasta 5
Boro - > Nerwen
Greenie - > Shasta 6

EDIT: Added Greenie's vote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #105
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. I hate bandwagons but Shasta is topping my suspicions. And it seems the result is already clear. So carrying my load of the burden.

++ Shasta

Ozzy? Have I lost something here? Who is Ozzy if not Ozban?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #106
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A quick note: if Shasta is a wolf, I doubt Boro is. Or I don't know actually. Could be. Agh, I'm flip-flopping, looks like it's bed-time.

EDIT: wow, x-ed since my last
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #107
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

It may be stupid, or completely out of the league, but...

+ + Legate

To clarify, which I feel I should, at least rudimentary:
I can't be sure of anybody. Eventhough Shasta and Lottie seem strange, mostly that Shasta's opinions of Pitch which seem to strangely fluctuate, (ad. Glirdan's post above).
Legate attacks, but always leaves himself some "escape path", he's too eager to back down. He does seem to try not to offend anyone. Eventhough it's not what I mean exactly, He's way too agreeable (or alibistic, your choice).

Anyway, my sixth sense tells me to vote for him.

I hurry to pub now. But will be back soon.

Later...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #108
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

So....after quick skim.

Pitch looks fine to me, especially the one that he did in response to one of Shastas (sorry, forgot to quote it and dont want to waste time finding the post number)

Lottie kind of always seems suspicious on Day 1s, it's like a natural thing for her, so I'd rather not vote her.

Shasta, the only thing I don't like is the post where he quoted Pitch and highlighted stuff, cause like Pitch pointed out, none of the highlighted stuff looks bad to me.

Gah, so I don't want to vote any of them, and I haven't had time to look closely at anyone else, and I have 4 minutes. I hate Day 1s, everyone always looks fine to me.

So I'm going to do this:

++Wilwa

Cause I've never done it before, and this seems like a good oppurtunity to.

x'ed with a bunches
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #109
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
On a matter of principle, I'm throwing my vote away since this lynch seems set and I don't want to be apart of this runaway lynch Shasta accord.
Let this not be forgotten toMorrow if Shasta is innocent!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #110
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, well I've kind of caught up, but I had to skim read most of the second page.

There's a few comments I'd like to make before anything else.

1. Why Shasta? I really don't find him suspicious at all. I mean, yes, he's defensive, but he just seems like normal innocent Shasta. In fact, he just seems like an easy Day 1 lynch, and I think it's quite likely that one of the Shasta-voters is a wolf who had to vote early.

But then again, this is worse:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I think I'm going go random with this vote
Saying your about to make a random vote is never good, because it seems like your covering yourself against any future effects that might have. So even a little suspicion right now is better than voting randomly.

2. Secondly, all this Cobbler-talk is quite interesting- especially seeing as some people seem like they're changing what their saying to seem more innocent and in line with the crowd.

As for my opinion, I think we should just vote for who seems suspicious, because generally the cobblers seem even more suspicious than wolves, so we'll probably lynch them before the wolves- though obviously it would be much better for us if the wolves kill the cobbler first.

edit: x-ed since Nog's #92

Last edited by Eönwë; 10-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #111
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Deadline

Stop posting.

Shasta has been lynched. Narration will be up in half an hour or so...
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #112
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, since Shasta's going to vote and there's no chance of changing anything, I might as well not vote, especially since I haven't really got any true suspicions yet.

edit: x-ed with Moddess and finished sentence
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #113
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
Ozzy? Have I lost something here? Who is Ozzy if not Ozban?
The very same. I'd though it was a selfevident nick. Bat-references not withstanding.

Last edited by skip spence; 10-06-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Ooops sorry!
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #114
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Night2 falls

So they sat down and talked and accusations slowly gathered speed, until when the hint of light grew almost undectable half of the Elves were convinced Shastanis, one of the hunters, was evil.

"He is a strange guy," Loslote said in a quiet voice.
"Yes, just keeps to himself," echoed Inziladun.
"Poor boy! It must be his lack of parents and proper upringing that made him like that," speculated Glirdan.
"It's not the lack of parents that makes him disturbing," said Pitch. "It's the snake."
"Yes," said Green decisively. Which such a likeness to an opossum, she was secretly afraid Shastanis's pet snake might eat her.
"So we shall kill him to save ourselves and his soul," Nogrod concluded solemnly.

Upon hearing his doom, Shastanis stood up quietly. He knew there was no changing the opinion of his companions, yet he wondered...

"I believe you are making a grave mistake," he said quietly. "You can still stop this folly."
"No one can stop this folly," Wilwarin said. "I wish I was safely in the Halls of Mandos..."
"That's where he shall be soon!" the girl Loslote cried out and everybody turned to her. She said: "There is a crack on the floor next to the place I sleep. I do not know how deep it is, but it is deep. Let us cast him there."
"Yes," confirmed Inziladun, and that was all that was needed for Glirdan and Skip to grasp Shastanis and lead him to the direction Loslote was pointing to.

"Please, let me have my last word to you, my friends..." Shastanis said, but Pitch covered his mouth with his hand. "Enough of these evil words, let him be silenced for ever."
Shastanis tried to fight, but Glirdan and Skip held onto him and dragged him to the edge of the crack, the pit in a pit.
The small green snake, hiding until now, darted out from the layers of Shastanis's folded hood, but even quicker than it, the veteran hunter Green snatched it and broke its neck. "Done with the devil," she muttered.
Shastanis let out a wail that was barely muffled by Pitch's hand.
"Let Mandos judge you fairly," Nogrod said. "Namárië."
And with those words Glirdan and Skip pushed Shastanis to the pit.

He screamed, and then there was sickening thump.

"I think he's dead," Ozban said quietly.

Just at the same moment, they heard a few broken notes echoing from the pit. With sickening hearts, they recalled they had heard the tune before, last night and it had brought a little comfort to their nightmare-ridden sleep. Now it was fading away.

"I... I am sorry... so sorry I failed you..." they heard Shastanis's voice echo from the bottom of the pit. Every syllable was an effort for the dying man. "I... I was meaning to tell you that... that last night... I discovered... in a dream... that..."

There was a silence.

"That what?" Boromir shouted.

Only the dulled echo of his words answered. The dreamer of dreams once know as the Seer was gone.

~*~

Night2 has started. Wolves, feel free to start PMing and you and the remaining gifteds may send your picks. Everybody shush up on the thread until dawn!

The Dead
Thinlómien (mod) - murdered in cold blood on Night1
Shastanis (seer) - cast to the pit in the pit on Day1

The Living
Green - veteran hunter with a striking resemblance to an opossum
Boromir - incompetent gatewarden
Eönwë - hunter
Glirdan - local batty scholar
Inziladun - weaponsmith
Legate - jeweller with an affinity to the colour white
Loslote - young tag-along girl with frizzy hair
Nerwen - young and impatient hunter who makes animal statues of wood and likes the colour green
Nogrod - narcoleptic master-hunter
Ozban - young and naive hunter and admirer of Finrod Felagund
Pitch - furrier
Skip - an admirer of Finduilas's
Wilwarin - hunter
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #115
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Day2 Dawns

Once again, the three tormented souls slipped away to conspire in the silent darkness. The coward sat long awake, wishing she could see or hear something and mortally afraid. Then she too fell asleep. The Hunter slept with her dagger at hand, and the Ranger left her place quietly, wrapped in the cloak she had woven out of her hair. When people had gone to sleep, she had memorised where one of them had laid down and now she crept to him. She could hear his steady breathing: he was already asleep. With a small smile on her lips, she draped her cloak lightly around him. He would be safe tonight, she would take care of that. She sat down and would have watched him sleep if she had only been able to see anything in the pitch dark.

Hours passed, and her concentration started to fail. She was tired. When she was just about to doze off, she heard the barely noticable steps of something big and soft-footed. Suddenly she was all alert. She could hear sniffing noises very close to her and then, the yelp of a scared animal.

"There is something here," she heard an uncertain voice say, definitely Elvish but wolvishly distorted. She couldn't recognise it although it did sound familiar.
"Oh just get on with it and kill him," another voice said, similar to the first one.
"I don't want to. There's some strange power that scares me," the first voice said, defiant.
The Ranger heard two more sets of soft wolf-paws approach. She kept still, hoping her magic would conceal her as well as it protected the sleeping one.
Sniffing sounds. "Enchantments of the West," a third voice said, one that had not spoken before. There was fear in his voice.
"There is some power against us we haven't foreseen," the first voice said, and edge of despair in it.
"You are right..." the second voice said grudgingly. "Let's sleep on it, I do not dare touch this one tonight."

The soft sound of the paws moved away. In the dark, the Ranger smiled. She had scared them away. For a while more, she sat there, then she gently took her cloak from the Elf who was still sleeping, blissfully unaware his life had been within a hair's breadth from being taken to him tonight. Quietly, she resumed her sleeping place by the walls of the pit and had a few hours of sleep before dawn.

~*~

The Dead
Thinlómien (mod) - murdered in cold blood on Night1
Shastanis (seer) - cast to the pit in the pit on Day1

The Living
Green - veteran hunter with a striking resemblance to an opossum
Boromir - incompetent gatewarden
Eönwë - hunter
Glirdan - local batty scholar
Inziladun - weaponsmith
Legate - jeweller with an affinity to the colour white
Loslote - young tag-along girl with frizzy hair
Nerwen - young and impatient hunter who makes animal statues of wood and likes the colour green
Nogrod - narcoleptic master-hunter
Ozban - young and naive hunter and admirer of Finrod Felagund
Pitch - furrier
Skip - an admirer of Finduilas's
Wilwarin - hunter

Day2 has stated. Wolves, stop PMing. Hunter, you may change your pick if you wish. Everybody, you may talk now.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #116
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

At least some good bit of news in that mess of a voting yesterday. *raises spear in toast to the Ranger*
Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #117
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well, some justice! It's not so dark anymore.

And if the ranger keeps up that work s/he can take the task of our seer in the Days to come! One innocent revealed already.

Oh, sorry, my C.S.I narcolepsy again (it's a commercial break right now). Back soonish...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #118
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Great thing, at least this! I must say the yesterDay's complete failure was not very much boosting the hope, but a Night-save is good. I think this had hindered the Wolves quite a lot. Either they have to go for the same person next Night, or just go for somebody else, risking that the same thing might happen again. Ha! I can only think of one downside for the lack of Night-kill: we cannot make any conclusions from it. But I think this is certainly better than a Night-kill: we have basically one Day more.

So about yesterDay... I am still disappointed that by the time the real conversation started, I wasn't able to be around very much, and unfortunately, it will be similar toDay (I will have to vote early - see the admin thread), though I hope that the discussion at least has already started yesterDay so now it will already be in flow while I am here...

The worst thing about the Seer-lynch yesterDay is that it was totally random (obviously, as half of village voted for him), so basically we don't even have any clear lead from the lynch. I think I should look at the voting tally, or somebody should make it (I think Glirdy made one yesterDay). If there are people I am suspicious about, they are especially among the "throwaway voters". Of course, once there was basically unisono lynch, there wasn't much of a thing to do even for an innocent who disagreed: you could either join the mob or just cast your vote elsewhere. From the top of my head, I must say that wilwa seemed okay to me from those people who voted randomly - she sounded genuinely frustrated, while Ozban sort of stood out as the negative example - he voted while there was no real chance of lynching me, and was doing it in the sort of "normal" way, as if his vote could still accomplish something, but most of all with the sort of "alibistic" style the Wolves sometimes have, saying "my hands are clean from the blood of this one". Boro could be either way. Eönwë, who appeared like few minutes before DL and started contemplating on whom to vote, might have been genuine - seems he had a lot to catch up with.

I think there definitely was at least one Wolf among the Shasta-voters, trying to hide in the crowd (unless it was even Lottie who started it, for example). I don't like especially Glirdan and Skip there, their votes are in the sort of convinient place: somewhere in the middle, neither initiators, but still not just the "whatever random last nails to the coffin at the time when it doesn't matter anymore". I have been somewhat suspicious of those two already yesterDay, skip at least was the kind of a person who seemed to echo a lot of thoughts others said without adding much of his own. There was something that unnerved me about Glirdy, but I have to re-read his posts again, especially what he had said about the Lottie-Shasta thing.

And I am also not quite comfortable with Nogrod's vote - in fact, like I said yesterDay, I am not entirely comfortable with him in general - he seems to me a bit more calculative than he usually is as an innocent. Like, when he said "I suspect Shasta, and although I don't like bandwaggons, I will vote him" - that sounded a bit fake. I would have expected the innocent Nogrod to be sort of more, hmm, self-reflective, like, to ask himself: "Oh really? Is it right that I suspect him if all the village wants to lynch him?" And not to just shrug it like this. I would like to take a look at when he first started to suspect Shasta...

Okay, so now on to do it And on to see if people post...

EDIT: x-ed with people. But if people post something, I meant...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #119
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

If I know Shasta he would have left at least one clue for us to the one dream he had. When he was the ranger he always left behind clues to his protections. Now the problem is just finding it.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #120
Ozban
Haunting Spirit

Legate I have been voting in synch with my conscience. Eventhough my vote can't accomplish anything, I won't hide in the crowd, I'm not such a hypocrite. I'm not afraid to speak up and fight for what i believe.

As for the ranger, Te Saluto!

And cause everything is said,
Oz retires to his bed.

Good night, fellow corpses.