The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2002, 12:01 PM   #1
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe modern hobbits

If hobbits lived today, what do you think they would be like? Where would they live in the country/world? What would be their fave modern convenience? What would be their fave convenience food (restaraunt, frozen dinner, Hamburger Helper)?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

What do you mean, if?? I'm a hobbit, and I live in 21st century California, thank you very much! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Hm...let's see....
*I can see myself barbequeing a lot..(as it's closest to camp cooking, which is my specialty). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] As for convenience food...um...fast-food salads (there are such things...imagine that...) heavy on the cabbage. Oh, yeah--and french fries. They are, after all, "taters!"
*Modern conveniences....um....well, I don't think I'd like the fact that ponies aren't generally used on the street, but maybe one of those little motorized scooters would suit me fine....
*I might live in a house (some hobbits did), but it would be out in the country somewhere...close to the hills, and with lots of land for gardening.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Compliments once recieved here at the Barrowdowns
Frodo Baggins -- short, hairy feet, curly brown hair (no kidding, I think of him as a hobbit)
Samwise -- also short and with hairy feet; I'm sure he and Frodo are really hobbits; after all Tolkien says there are a few around.
Child of the 7th Age, I really enjoyed/appreciated these statements of yours... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

I guess the hobbits would live somewhere far from the city, and they would eat, well, anything they got their hands on.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Hobbits would live in New Zealand and their fave convenience would be coffee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
To send someone a private message, look for the private message icon on a post a person creates. You can send a private message through the person's member profile, or from your Buddy List, if you have added the person to your Buddy List.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:20 PM   #5
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Samwise -- Thanks for the kudos. Actually, I don't think hobbits would eat too much fast food. They love food so much they would want the real homemade stuff, but not too fancy.

I see lots of afternoon teas with crumpets and scones. (Such things still exist in Great Britain.) I also see large number of friends invited over for dinner.

For the tweener, a small, motorized scooter sounds good plus a cottage in the country. For the Frodo Baggins type, maybe a house on beachfront property. Oh, yes, families with lots of kids, too! Those hobbits might even need a small van to transport all those children.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 07-31-2002, 08:39 PM   #6
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Sting

I think they would live somewhere like Scotland or somewhere rural and live in a little cottage. For the food i would think homemade. I think they would like the scooters or bikes, i have a hard time seeing them driving a car or something like that.
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:44 PM   #7
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

hobbits in our time? danny devito...
Old 07-31-2002, 09:21 PM   #8
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, they'd definetly live in Scotland!! England too. And Wee Man from Jackass would be a hobbit too. He's so cool!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:41 PM   #9
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't think hobbits would like fast food either. They'd probably think it horrible, unnatural stuff. I wonder if they'd have to ride tricycles around? I can't see any driving cars, especially considering they wouldn't be able to reach the pedal. Probably most would live out in the country instead of the city, and I don't blame them! I think I'd move out there too! Then they'd have to get some sort of contracts in order to dig smials, and most likely some politician would say they'd be a safety hazard and ban them, along with pipeweed and dwarven fireworks. In short, I don't think hobbits would be too happy here [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 02:03 PM   #10
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmmm... Hobbits in our time? I guess they would be freaked out by this technologized world (Internet, TV... etc.). They probably live somewhere in New Zeeland, in England, in Scotland and maybe in my pitoresque country, Romania... Even though you never know if Count Dracula wouldn't scare them and convince them to leave... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Food...? Simple food, like hobbits like. Maybe, I don't know... I guess they would prefer the traditional food of Romania. It fits them so well...

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:47 PM   #11
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
1420!

Hobbits would probly be a little taller to blendin better(still strangly short though)*this might be deu to a gene passed down by pip and Merry* LOVE food as usulal and the same large harry feet
Old 09-28-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
Robin Headstrong
Haunting Spirit

Robin Headstrong has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Robin Headstrong
Sting

Yeah, hobbits would probably be a bit taller today. They'd most likely live out in rural areas. Like the midwest US, New Zealand, England, Scotland... *imagines a hobbit in a kilt* Now there's an eye opener and no mistake!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:37 PM   #13
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Even though I've said this before (sort of), I still say my choir teacher's a modern-day hobbit!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #14
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Modern Day Hobbits humm? Well I had this thought the other day and I was going to start a similar thread but it seems it has already been done [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What I had to ask was:

For an elf or hobbit to exist in modern times, do they have to look like an Elf or Hobbit? Do they have to like what we assume they'd like or live how they did in the books? Could someone call themselves an Elf or a Hobbit because they felt like one inside?
Because I do as I expect many others do and I'm sure there are few people who could prove that we're not. After all, can you define something without proof or dismiss it because it is nothing more than a "feeling"?
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 09:05 PM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

*clears throat*
-live in the woods
-eat mushrooms and bacon
-mushrooms and ham
-cabbage and roots
-tea, etc
-two breakfasts is good
-go for walks at night when there are few spectators
-travel as necessary, but sure miss those ponies
-keep a sharp eye out for elves in the woods