The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2003, 02:50 AM   #1
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Revealing Tom Bombadil

I'm sure that a lot of you are still wondering about what and who Tom Bombadil is, and why he's even in the LOTR stories. I'd like to hear your own crazy explanations as to why Tolkien created and included such an odd character.

Just a note to remember -this thread is under "mirth" and I'm not really looking for a logical, analytiacal explanation, so thy smarter-than-thou image can put your references and quotations aside for a while [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1 - Tolkien needed a place to publish his silly-sounding songs.
2 - Bombadil is a symbol of the writer's uncle' wife's half-brother's longing for his lost childhood.
3- He was designed to discredit all things magical.

Let's hear your opinions...
Old 08-09-2003, 05:18 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Boots

whoa, fun,fun,fun...let's see.
Bombadil's in the book 'cause Tolkien wanted some character to use yellow boots and he didn't want to humiliate any other character like that...
Old 08-09-2003, 05:29 AM   #3
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

I've always wanted to tease ol' Tom..let's see...how about...someone needs to feed those silly hobbits! They'll starve in the middle of the Old Forest! Or maybe not. Maybe the silly songs thing is right. Some childish fantasy of Tolkien, I think. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Who else could he get to prance around like a leprechaun while he hits trees and sings something about a merry dol? Oh, come on, even Pippin wouldn't do that.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Oh, come on, even Pippin wouldn't do that.
Give him a few pints and he just might! Maybe Tom is a projected figment of Pippin's alter ego...uh, ego! Or worse, maybe its one of the more embarrassing members of the Took family who actually beat the Bullroarer long ago but was exiled because of said silly yellow boots! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yeah! Hobbits rarely, if ever wore boots, so they must've banished him from the Shire for that.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Quote:
Bombadil is a symbol of the writer's uncle' wife's half-brother's longing for his lost childhood.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Oh, I definatly agree. Either that or he was a representation of the invisible friend that Tolkien had and never truely got rid of. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Well, Tom could have also been put in there to introduce a fashion statement: Yellow boots, of course! I don't think they were ever too popular, so maybe Tolkien added Tom in there to make subliminal messages telling us to wear them... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Paranoia!
Old 08-10-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Well, Tom could have also been put in there to introduce a fashion statement: Yellow boots, of course! I don't think they were ever too popular, so maybe Tolkien added Tom in there to make subliminal messages telling us to wear them... Paranoia!
You think Tolkien got rich writing books? The real money's in the boot business!

I think he wanted someone who looks like a walnut in there, but didn't want a talking walnut. Hey presto, Tom Bombadil was born!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

Hm, I think Tolkien created Tom Bomadil for the sheer randomness. Really, Sings goofy songs, has yellow boots, talks and sings to trees, and has a sweet Wife named Goldberry.
That's random! I think if he lived in modern days, he'd reside in Oregon. (now nicknamed the tree-hugger state)
Old 08-10-2003, 11:01 PM   #10
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Maybe Tolkien has split personality disorder, and Tom was just his other half... Dude, I wish my other half were like Tom Bombadil... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Don't we? Yes, we do...