The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2003, 03:50 PM   #1
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril I Sing a Song of Return of the King

In FotR and TTT there were two "centerpiece" songs, "May it Be" and "Gollum's Song". And in FotR there was also "In Dreams" which played after MiB.<P>The soundtrack is increasingly becoming my favorite part about these movies, so I was thinking about what they're going to do for RotK. It seems like, it being the last song for the whole trilogy, it sound be something <I>really</I> special.<P>So what do you think we'll hear? And what would you like to hear?<P>I think it would be awesome if they just set "In Western Lands" or "Frodo's Dreme" to music, instead of writing original lyrics. Any other Tolkien peoms you think would really sum up the whole LotR story quite well?<P>Or, if they were to write original lyrics (which they probably will) what do you think the lyrics should be about, and from the viewpoint of whom? For instance, in May It Be it seems, to me, to be Galadriel singing to Frodo. And of course, "Gollum's Song" is Gollum singing (again, I think it's to Frodo).<P>Thoughts? Poems to paste? Hey, you could even write your own suggestion!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I'd love the idea of the part of the Lay of Leithian in FotR to be sung/put to music for RotK. I hope they at least use a poem from the book.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

I really hope they put some of the oringinal tolkien poems as songs. I had to do a presentation to my proffesor (I know, my spelling is bad) about authors that write poetry that nobody knows about (or something like that) and I chose Tolkien, cuz his poems are beautiful.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:54 PM   #4
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If they put "In Western Lands" to music. It would be absalutly wonderfull. I'd force my family to sit though to credits just to hear it. I've made my own attempts to do it but I'm no composer. Or they could sing "Frodo of the Nine Fingers."<P>The chance of them using a Tolkien poem in the song seems very unlikely to me. But perhaps they'll fit a line in somewhere. If they were to do it about a character again I would love to hear one about Sam. Although it would be nice to hear from the other side of the story. There could be a song about Aragorn.<P>I bet I'll love whatever they do.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:12 PM   #5
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

"In Western Lands" seems a bit mellow for PJ's tastes I would think, I can't see him using it, which is sad because it would be an excellent choice.<P>Nice "Walt Whitman"-esque title by the way. "A song of Myself" is quite exquisite.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Return of the King should be a triumphant, epic movie and score. Lots of high stakes battles and action. I think that the pace of the movie and of the soundtrack needs to be kicked up a notch. If it gets reduced to easy listening with Frodo standing and staring at the Ring in his hand again, I'll probably be nodding off. I'd like to see the Armies of the West storming the Black Gate to the sounds of the 1812 Overture. <P>More timpani. More cymbals. More everything. More differences. Let's not make exactly the same movie <I>again</I>.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I think a bit of trad jazz as Frodo and Sam are trudging up Mount Doom would be great ...<P>Oh, when the saints<BR>Oh, when the saints<BR>Oh, when the saints go marching in ...<P>
Old 01-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #8
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Or they could do a Randy Newman song like "Short People Got Nobody To Love!" lol<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Alaggaeriel ]
Old 01-18-2003, 12:59 AM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Well, the idea of this thread was to look forward to RotK rather than complain about the TTT ending. So instead of getting into a disscussion about that a la <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001621" TARGET=_blank>this thread,</A> I just want to remark that all indications so far point to RotK ending with "a sweeping view of the Grey Havens." I envision the same music from the Breaking of the Fellowship and Samwise the Brave reaching a real crescendo for this scene. I find that theme to be both triumphant and beautiful, befitting the poetic nature of Tolkien's work (indeed, making up for some the hurly-burly action at the expense of subtlty and beauty that plagues the script).<P>But anyway, my idea for this thread was to discuss the song that will play over the end credits. I'm assuming they'll continue the trend of having a soloist vocal, so cymbals and stuff would be out of place. And the 1812 Overture would just be plagiarism.<P>Beren87: Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "I sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye, four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie". But while we're on the subject, have you ever heard of a parody of Whitman's "I Sing of Myself", which purports to imagine how Whitman would have written "Jack and Jill"? I have it on an audiotape, and it is precious. <p>[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-18-2003, 01:13 AM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the FOTR and TTT they used the same theme (in a way) for the ending, and that seems to be the theme for Sam and Frodo's emotional, uplifting parts, so I could totally see them using that for the Grey Havens. I hope the music for the Havens is very emotional and sweeping, I think it is going to be something like the music for Lorien, with a lot of Elf like voices.<BR>I think for all the battles they are going to use great music, and I wonder if they are going to come up with something like "Shelob's Theme" for when they are in her Lair. Additionally they need a very great song for the credits, something wonderful and very spectacular (I heard Liv Tyler may sing something, I hope that is not the closing credit song)