The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How did Gandalf know?

Quote:
P.S. Do Not use it again, not for any reason whatever! Do not travel by night!
How did he know that he had used it? This was written long before Frodo ever left the shire. Or did he just guesse?
Old 09-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandolf did know to an exstent as he knew how powerful that ring was. He may have sensed its power being used. Or it could have been intuition.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting

I agree he may of hiad an hunch of the power and danger so that is what i think.
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
Sorcress-Yume

Silmaril

Gandalf is phsycic... its a wizard thing they can since the happenings of friends. u would know if u were one *looks around nervously* but Gandalf is Gandalf u cant explain things about him much. i want his hat i really like it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2002, 02:49 PM   #5
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

For one thing, Gandalf knew for sure that Bilbo had been using the ring, and so he could advise Frodo not to repeat the same foolisness.

And then, Gandalf himself was wearing one of the Rings of Power, so he probably could sense when the One was being 'activated'
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:50 PM   #6
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If memory serves, that wa from the letter given to frodo at the Prancing Pony, which means it was written, after Gandalf had discovered the writing on the ring and what it really was, so warning Frodo not to use it seems only sensible, likewise, knowing it was the ring and that Sauron was likely to be seeking it, the warning not to travel at night, is afain common sense,a s evil beings were more likely to attack under cover of darkness than in broad daylight, especially if Gandalf suspected that the Nazgul were once more abroad in the world.
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:07 AM   #7
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Gandalf guessed about Frodo maybe using it. The letter was written several months before Frodo had set out... in fact, I'm sure that Frodo did not use the ring between when he last talked to Gandalf and when Gandalf wrote the letter. Gandalf probably assumed that Frodo would by the time he got it. Even if he hadn't used the ring, it still makes sense as a reminder.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:21 AM   #8
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You also must relize that Gandalf was frightened of the rings power. Enough that he didn't want to touch it. Being in this paranoid state he didn't want Frodo to do anything with the ring untill he was certain of what to do.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

But he said don't use it again, didn't he? Could someone please refresh my memory and tell if Frodo actually had used it before then? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:54 PM   #10
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo never used the Ring until The Prancing Pony, and that was purely accidental. Gandalf knew magic rings were very rare and powerful tools, and he was suspicious of the One Ring. He didn't want anything to happen until he knew what it was.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:41 PM   #11
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf would have guessed, as I would, that curiousity would get into Frodo, and he would try it at least once.
But I tsk tsk all of you! Don't you remember, Frodo put on the Ring in Tom Bombadil's house! (Before the Prancing Pony, and with sure and purposeful intent.)
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 02:28 AM   #12
bombur
Wight

bombur has just left Hobbiton.
Actually Gandalf first had a hunch of what the ring might be, at the Bilbos birthday party. He went away to check on it. He told Frodo to keep it safe and keep it secret. Years passed before his return and warning.

Gandalf simply assumed Frodo to have used it in the years between in the same manner Bilbo had... up to and including avoiding random encounters with Lobelia.

After all why would Frodo not have?

Would it have kept Frodo young if it had just laid on the bottom of a chest in the livingroom?

Janne Harju
bombur is offline   Reply With Quote