The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Our wonderful forum tools

Recently, in reading around in the forum FAQ and posting guidelines, I came across a little tool I never knew we had.

Quote:
What are the buddy and ignore lists?
The buddy list is used to keep track of the friends you have made on this forum. By going to your "Open Buddy List" in "Quick Links" menu of the navbar, you'll be able to see which of your friends are currently online and send them a private message. Adding people to your buddy list also allows you to send private messages to multiple forum members at the same time. You may add any member of the forums to your buddy list by viewing their profile or by going to "Buddy / Ignore Lists" in your "User CP".

Ignore lists are used for those people whose messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.
I've never used a buddy or ignore list. I wonder if anyone else has?

I can imagine that the ignore list would be quite frustrating to folks such as trolls who deliberately bait and taunt us. There's only so many times one can ignore the red flag shoved into our faces, right? And yet we know we're not supposed to feed the trolls.

So, has anyone ever used the ignore function? I might soon try it out just for fun.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
You know, I think I was always aware these nifty forum gadgets existed, but since I've never had a real cause to use them, my mind forgets they're around.

I mean if I want to send a PM to a buddy, I type the name into the box. It seems like an added work and effort to create a list.

Although, the ignore list for childish baiters and ruffians, that probably has some grounded practical value.

Thanks for the reminder Bb.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
About a month or so after I joined I discovered than function and started adding people to the buddy list - but soon just deleted everything and gave up because it was kind of pointless to add the entire Downs. Like Boro said, it's easier to just type in the name, or find the Downer's profile and click the link to send a PM.

As for the ignore list, I've never bothered with it either. If I want to ignore someone, I just skip their post.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Where angels fear to tread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Recently, in reading around in the forum FAQ and posting guidelines, I came across a little tool I never knew we had.

I've never used a buddy or ignore list. I wonder if anyone else has?
All the time... the buddy list isn't so useful unless you want to restrict your PMs but the ignore list... currently there are half a dozen on it.. though it could be cut since most have gone away but I might add to it... usually I put people on it who consistently raise my BP or are irritatingly inane. I find it too hard to cross to the otherside if someone is being obnoxious or inaccurate or just plain silly. I also used it when I was playing Werewolf.

It used to be possible to confirm the identity of an anonymous neg repper by placing the suspect on the ignore list (the rep would disappear) but that doesn't work now.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I have never used the ignore list - basically what G55 said, if I don't like some posts, I just skip them. So thankfully, there hasn't been any need for it so far and I hope it stays that way. In truth, I can't imagine what would lead me to put someone on my ignore list. I can't imagine a spambot sending me PMs, and with everyone else, you can reasonably talk, I believe. And especially here, on this forum. If there ever were any outright terrible people, then I believe they haven't stayed for long.

As for buddy list, I did use it, several times in Werewolf. When I was a Wolf, that is. I simply put the fellow Wolves into the buddy list for the duration of the game and I could easily send the PMs to all of them by just sending PMs to everyone on the buddy list. Not really otherwise, though. As long as the forum is capable of filling in the names for you (which, however, for some reason hasn't been working for me very well lately ), you don't need buddy list, I believe.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To be honest, I'll not use it on here any more. Certainly not after realising that this is one of the most mild mannered, unprovocative corners of the internet. Yep, some people can sometimes make you think they are being a bit uppity or trollish, but really, until you have encountered places like Sheffield Forum, you haven't any need to put someone on an 'ignore' list.

The Barrow-Downs Forum is like a box of old bears (yeah, some have wonky eyes and smell funny, but they still warrant a cuddle ), whereas other places, like SF and the Daily Mail are more like holding pens for slavering rabid dogs that should be put to sleep. And they are actually mild compared to some places I've wandered into...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
The Barrow-Downs Forum is like a box of old bears (yeah, some have wonky eyes and smell funny, but they still warrant a cuddle )...
*The Dark Elf sniffs his armpit*

Here now, I've taken my biannual bath! I'll have another come Yule.