The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
"Here's chatting with you, kid."

Is the Downs forum getting too small for you?

Are your social committments growing too large for it?

Are your PMs filling up too fast and is Facebook just too . . . faceless?

As Galadriel says, "Despair not!" (or something to that effect.)

Some of you might not know that there is a Barrow Downs chat channel on mirc, that can be reached via a Java link on the Barrow Downs front pages.

It's quite dead these days but once was quite lively. And right now three of us are brushing up the dust and remembering old times: Estelyn, Mirkgirl and me.

Anyone interested in reviving a dead tradition?

Barrow Downs chat channel

PS. Thanks to Esty for the thread title here.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Is the Downs forum getting too small for you?

Are your social committments growing too large for it?

Are your PMs filling up too fast and is Facebook just too . . . faceless?

As Galadriel says, "Despair not!" (or something to that effect.)

Some of you might not know that there is a Barrow Downs chat channel on mirc, that can be reached via a Java link on the Barrow Downs front pages.

It's quite dead these days but once was quite lively. And right now three of us are brushing up the dust and remembering old times: Estelyn, Mirkgirl and me.

Anyone interested in reviving a dead tradition?

Barrow Downs chat channel

PS. Thanks to Esty for the thread title here.
It would help if I could figure out how to type into this thing...

AKA I am an idiot... (problem solved)

Last edited by Mnemosyne; 10-16-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I remember popping in there a couple times a loooong time ago.

I just set up trillian for IRC again but wow does the server seem to be laggy!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
My bad--I've had no time this week to pop into chat, not even a random opportunity.

I wonder how people would feel about planning a chat session? We could set a specific time that would be convenient to a majority of people and see how many of us can make it.

When would Downers be free? Weekends or workdays? It seems to me that a combination of North America afternoons and European evenings might be best, possibly 2 pm EDT (ie, Chicago/Toronto time), which would make it 7 pm GMT (how do you express daylight time?) for you UK types and 11 am for Downers on the west coast of North America. I'm not sure where that puts Downers in other time zones, but the more the merrier.

The fun about the chat room is that everyone can chat together; it isn't one on one, like Facebook or MSN.

Does this sound doable?

Want to try it for this Sunday, October 25th ? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Bêthberry; 10-25-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: time correction
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

"I'm shocked -- schocked! -- to learn that chatting is going on in here!"

Sorry I missed out on the reunion. We had some good ol' times in Barrow Chat back in the day. If another round gets scheduled, I'll definitely try to poke my head in and catch up.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
"I'm shocked -- schocked! -- to learn that chatting is going on in here!"
"Your IRC, sir."
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

"Oh, thank you very much!"

Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Hi all you skwerl-weary chatterers. Er, I mean well-behaved Downers.

Just a note that while Europe went back to standard time last night, North America is still on daylight saving.

Estelyn Telcontar and I are hoping to connect in the Barrow Downs chat room today at 2 pm EDT. I am, in fact, there now.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
I am, in fact, there now.
As am I!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
As am I!
And I!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I remember popping on there before I was a member here on the Forum. I was booted off for quoting the entirety of the Gil-Galad song once. Someone goaded me into it. Maybe I'll stop by to chat sometime during the week.

-- Foley
Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If anyone wants a good story about getting booted out of a chatroom I have tons. I also have some good banned from forum stories but that does not relate to this thread.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I remember convincing people to log on as 'Hobbitchick' so that when people said hello, they'd get booted...

Ah, being a teenager...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Its been AGES since I've been on iIRC anywhere! Can't remember if I ever logged into the Barrow Downs chat. I think I gave up when I would go on different chats and see a few folk logged in but nobody was chatting, or if there were a couple people chatting they didn't bother to acknowledge anyone else who came in and anything said was ignored.

I hope your efforts to revive the old-school here pays off Bêthberry!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #15
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Right now there's four Barrow Downers chatting on the old mirc Barrow Downs channel.

Like, this must be a record.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I remember convincing people to log on as 'Hobbitchick' so that when people said hello, they'd get booted...

Ah, being a teenager...
Am I being oblivious, naive, or otherwise stupid when I ask, why would that get them booted?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:33 AM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I think I'd like to start making more of my anti-intellectual, frenzied cameo appearances in chat.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The only time I logged on I swear people were listing vegetables. I never bothered again....
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The only time I logged on I swear people were listing vegetables. I never bothered again....
Well, how do you know you didn't miss out on some kind of Hobbity roleplay?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Quote:
Dude, log on when I'm around. We can list hot guys instead. Or. Er. I mean, have an intellectual literary discussion.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That sounds like a plan... not aubergine but Armitage... sorry yes..intellectual discussion...
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
We should organise a new time when everyone will be online.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #23
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
We should organise a new time when everyone will be online.
Lately those of us who have chatted have been on 1 pm EST, which is 6 pm GMT. We've also just randomly popped in. There was quite a crowd last night at about 5 pm EST.

Not that I will be in today at 1 pm. I'm out shopping in the hopes that the Grey Cup game will empty the stores enough to make shopping pleasant.

Have fun listing hot topics. No skwerls in chat, although the bot objects to "language".

Last edited by Bêthberry; 12-19-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #24
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
No skwerls in chat, although the bot objects to "language".
Well there are many handy euphemisms so that shouldn't be a problem. Speaking of "language", here's an old clip I stumbled across, which is extremely funny and very educational: the late, great Frank Zappa appearing on Crossfire

Chatting is seriously old school though, it's been many years since I last sat foot on one of those pages. Once I did try to log in on the BD-chat to have a look but couldn't somehow. It would be fun to have some less restricted conversations with people from around here though and I might give it a go again if there's anything going on in there.

Last edited by skip spence; 11-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #25
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Well there are many handy euphemisms so that shouldn't be a problem. Speaking of "language", here's an old clip I stumbled across, which is extremely funny and very educational: the late, great Frank Zappa appearing on Crossfire Chatting is seriously old school though, it's been many years since I last sat foot on one of those pages. Once I did try to log in on the BD-chat to have a look but couldn't somehow. It would be fun to have some less restricted conversations with people from around here though and I might give it a go again if there's anything going on in there.
Zappa--now there's someone who is seriously serious old school. Almost unbelievable that that argument was going on in 1986. It is possible to call Tolkien seriously old school, so we're probably in good company.

It would be great fun and really interesting to see some of the newer Downers in chat. It's not like the chat room is an old folks' home.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #26
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Almost unbelievable that that argument was going on in 1986.
Didn't that particular debate result in the explicit lyrics labels? Strange concept that, I can't think of any better way promoting explicit lyrics. Uhm... what would Tolkien think of that one wonders...
Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #27
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would definitely like chatting there as well... just hope I'll notice in time when a reunion is planned in there... best if someone could PM me about this stuff, barely have time for anything these days.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
Kate
Newly Deceased

Kate has just left Hobbiton.
The problem is that the Downs is getting too small? I remember when there were only about 20 members. That was back in the First Age, before the coming of Orlando and Elijah at the turn of the tide. Many an old crone might spin a tale of days when there was great longing for the forum to return to its humble beginnings.

I haven't visited in years, literally, but have some fond memories of hour upon wasted hour spent in this forum and in chat. Good times.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #29
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
The problem is that the Downs is getting too small? I remember when there were only about 20 members. That was back in the First Age, before the coming of Orlando and Elijah at the turn of the tide. Many an old crone might spin a tale of days when there was great longing for the forum to return to its humble beginnings.

I haven't visited in years, literally, but have some fond memories of hour upon wasted hour spent in this forum and in chat. Good times.
Kate? Were you once known here by another name?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #30
Kate
Newly Deceased

On the forum, yes. I was onewhitetree, but I can't recall the password or email attached to that account, sadly.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #31
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I thought that was you! Nice to see you back!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #32
Kate
Newly Deceased

Thanks! I'm surprised, and pleased, that you remember me. It's been a long time, and I'm older, smarter in some ways, dumber in others, married, moved across the country, and in grad school now. How are you?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #33
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Thanks! I'm surprised, and pleased, that you remember me. It's been a long time, and I'm older, smarter in some ways, dumber in others, married, moved across the country, and in grad school now. How are you?
I'm well thanks. A bit older, as well. It's always good to see a face from the Elder (EZ Board) Days!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #34
Kate
Newly Deceased

Perhaps the community here is coming full circle, as the novelty of the movie craze has (surely) dulled a bit by now. I just finished re-reading The Hobbit, LotR, and The Silmarillion, and it really took me back to some very stimulating discussions had in these parts. Totally irrelevant, but stimulating.

I wonder, has it ever really been settled whether or not balrogs have wings?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #35
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I wonder, has it ever really been settled whether or not balrogs have wings?
I think we settled on no.

Anyway, welcome back, oneKatetree. I have seen your old nick across the forums here and there, but I can't recall ever talking to you or anything...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #36
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Thumbs up

Quote:
I was onewhitetree...
The days are fated to be filled with marvels. Here before my eyes stands another of the folk of legend, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell.

Nice to see you, Kate! I've gone quite treeish myself, though I'm occasionally to be found zapping spammers or doing some sort of technical tweak in the shadows. Changes, changes -- I've had a few of those myself, not least of which is the addition of a Tookish little hobbit scampering about the hole.

wb!

...as we used to say in chat.

Oh, and by the way, I can of course recover onewhitetree for you if you'd like; you have only to say the word.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #37
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think we settled on no
Actually, I think we settled on, "After they drink Red Bull."
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #38
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I think we settled on no.
Heck, no! Redundant wings! For terrifying show only!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #39
Kate
Newly Deceased

Why hello, Mr. Underhill! I always did think you had the most clever handle. I am delighted to hear that you are doing well, and offer my sincere congratulations on your bourgeoning family. I would be much obliged if I could regain my old moniker, if only to give myself whatever questionable credibility may be associated with it. But how will you know it's really me?

Thank you for the welcome, Thinlomien. I do believe your join date is somewhat after my visits tapered off, but I trust by the last couple of posts in this thread, my reputation for having the best ratio of pots stirred to posts made wasn't for naught.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #40
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Leaf

Quote:
On the forum, yes. I was onewhitetree, but I can't recall the password or email attached to that account, sadly.
The Rimwife returns!

Welcome back, onewhitetree. Did you ever get to London?

Yes, some of us have grown quite entish memories.