The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #81
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hilde Bracegirdle has become a Steward of Arnor. Thank you!

Traffic on the Downs has come down to a trickle compared to what it was last year, and thanks to all of the donations then and now, we still are able to cover all costs. Those costs are considerably lower now than they used to be, so the Downs is no longer desperate for contributions, but it's still nice to see one now and then. Thank you, everyone, for keeping us in business this long.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #82
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Pray tell us dear Barrow Master, what is our current financial state? Is all well, or do our communal coffers require the comminity to cough up some treasure in tribute?
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #83
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Tap tap, You in there BW? tap tap tap.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #84
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye The Downs Needs You!

Hello, fellow Wights.

As you can see, it's been years since the question of Downs financial issues have been raised. But now the bill for hosting the site and the forum has come due -- on 4/21/10, to be exact.

$142 will keep these shadowy mounds bathed in their trademark eerie green glow for another 2 years. We've already passed the hat in the mod forum, but since that's a pretty steep figure to be footed by the few remaining active mods and admins, we thought it would be a good idea to give our membership the opportunity to lend a hand.

So, if you enjoy the Downs and want to see it continue, and if you have a bit to spare, donations are kindly accepted via PayPal (follow the link to learn more) deposit to the Barrow-Wight at bw@barrowdowns.com

If you'd like to contribute but don't want to use PayPal, I suggest contacting BW via the aforementioned email address or by private message, and I'm sure he'll be happy to work out an alternative method with you.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #85
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think I can spare a few bucks. Have you ever looked into amazon's system for collecting contributions? I know of a few other fan-type sites that use it, and I seem to recall that it doesn't have the extra processing fee.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #86
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I suppose I'll throw some cash your way as well. It seems to be the only way I'll ever get rid of that ghastly 'Ghost Prince of Cardolan' tag.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #87
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
It seems to be the only way I'll ever get rid of that ghastly 'Ghost Prince of Cardolan' tag.

Seriously though, give this man a title, he if any deserves it.

Edit: Will you pay me too, Morth?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #88
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post

Seriously though, give this man a title, he if any deserves it.

Edit: Will you pay me too, Morth?
Alas! the ever spiralling cost of bribery. I suppose adding to your reputation doesn't count?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #89
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Because I finally got paid today, I thought I'd send in some money to the nice people who allow me to publish a stupid little newspaper.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #90
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
So the PayPal just works with the e-mail address of the recepient? Nothing else needed about the receiving side?

And it is only 142$ in total for two years? Yeah, it's a lot if one or two pays but I don't think it should be a problem for the community, especially to us who have a steady salary.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #91
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I never use PayPal, because somehow I don't like it much.
Does a normal payment work as well? In that case I would need the info of the other account as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #92
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I never use PayPal, because somehow I don't like it much.
Does a normal payment work as well? In that case I would need the info of the other account as well.
I'm enough in the Dark Ages that I've never used PayPal, so I'd like some alternative also.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #93
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would like to contribute but I have had bad experiences with paypal so would prefer an alternative .. I would take the chance posting dollars in cash but no idea what the postal service is like transatlantic atm... any other options anyone? that doesn't involve disproportionate fees?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #94
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
What kind of bad experiences Mith? Has money vanished or things like that? I mean in that case it would be better if people just made a donation to an account the Barrow-Wight could send to everyone wishing to make one (like in a PM or via e-mail)?

I didn't actually know there were problems with the PayPal, or if there actually are, I was just not used to the concept and thought it odd one could send money with only an e-mail adress as a recipient.

Sure we wish to donate the money to the 'Downs and not to some internet pickpockets.

So the Might "somehow doesn't like it much" and Mith has bad experiences. Would you let us into what kind of things you refer to? I'm ready to use PayPal unless someone tells me about a particular problem involved.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #95
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've used PayPal a number of times, and not had a problem. My dad uses it on Ebay and in making other transactions online pretty regularly still. I am sure problems can happen, though. Most of the problems I've encountered with online transactions, though, is trusting who you're sending money to--and that's not an issue here.

As soon as I get myself signed up on Paypal with my own account, I'll be sending a donation.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #96
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
My kids regularly use my Paypal account to buy video games, books, anime characters, etc. and we've never had any problems with it.

Now I just have to make sure there's money in the account after their purchases for me to donate! I'll make sure that happens before the deadline tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #97
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I have been wondering about this. I don't understand PayPal (or maybe it's so simple that I don't understand that's it ), and I have never used it, of course; if there was some clear way how to do it, I would use it. Basically what Mith said - the old-fashioned "material" ways are the best But of course, I am all for easy transactions... as long as it is easy. (And safe.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #98
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To quote someone, I have skin in the game, via PayPal.

It was so easy it was creepy...

Last edited by alatar; 04-20-2010 at 10:43 AM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #99
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
What kind of bad experiences Mith?
So the Might "somehow doesn't like it much" and Mith has bad experiences. Would you let us into what kind of things you refer to? I'm ready to use PayPal unless someone tells me about a particular problem involved.
May be just me - I was going to say and my age but seeing as you are the senior I can't !) . I used it a long time ago and then someone tried to access it illegally and it got frozen and it was too much trouble to unfreeze and they wanted too much information which I was reluctant to give a set up I now didn't trust.. so I never unfroze it. I am an accountant and so uber cautious in such things and am very careful about who I buy from online - ID theft is a huge problem here.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #100
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

After doing it I can see now some cause for uneasyness. They take a charge on the transaction (not much but on principle) and there just might be a small problem... When I created the account it told me in quite plain terms that you can only pay in Euros, and when I had finished the PayPal said that the recipient might turn your money back as his account is on a different currency...

Like they didn't know how to exchange Euros to Dollars...

EDIT: Oh yeah Mith... we seniors are either careful and cynical or then totally irresponsible and ignorant of the new threats. I'm definitively the optimist. And I know it will kick back on me one day. But meanwhile I'm going to be irresponsibly trusting with things. (Okay, someone telling me I have inherited a far-relative in Nigeria and between my billion dollars and me is only a little handling fee of 300$ will make me only push the delete button...)

Last edited by Nogrod; 04-20-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #101
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nog and Mith, as someone who's younger than you, I'd like to point out two things.

One: You are not that old. (And you're adorable anyway, so I suppose that's 1a.)

Two: I, too, am stupidly trusting, Noggins. Someday we will both be poor(er) and confused about it, but smiling because we truly believe we've helped underprivileged child X in country Y that we can't find on a map but believe is there anyway. We're just nice like that! (And for the record, no, I've not actually done that. I just figured it would be a different example to the "your uncle leaves you money" scenario our dear Nog provided.)

Three (which has nothing to do with neither my age nor you two): I wish I could throw money at the Downs like confetti. I may not be a Tolkien geek but I love playing Werewolf here more than anywhere else and if I had any money to spare I'd send it the wight way in an instant. And the wight way is Paypal. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hosting fees. Hosting fees are what bwing us togevvah today....)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #102
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
After doing it I can see now some cause for uneasyness. They take a charge on the transaction (not much but on principle) and there just might be a small problem... When I created the account it told me in quite plain terms that you can only pay in Euros, and when I had finished the PayPal said that the recipient might turn your money back as his account is on a different currency...

Like they didn't know how to exchange Euros to Dollars...

EDIT: Oh yeah Mith... we seniors are either careful and cynical or then totally irresponsible and ignorant of the new threats. I'm definitively the optimist. And I know it will kick back on me one day. But meanwhile I'm going to be irresponsibly trusting with things. (Okay, someone telling me I have inherited a far-relative in Nigeria and between my billion dollars and me is only a little handling fee of 300$ will make me only push the delete button...)

Nogrod I have one little used account which suggests that there has been carnage of fantastically rich people who happen to share my name on a Nigerian highway that it is practically genocide... but while I am sure it is probably safe.. I am just not keen to pump in all my bank or credit card details into a computer and get an account for this purpose only. I have just lost faith and remember I use public access computers. I am sure Iam being paranoid. I just feel for the sum involved I would rather risk the money getting lost in the post than maybe opening the door to my bank account. I will have to look at other options.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #103
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I use public access computers.
With the little knowledge I have on these issues I think that is the important point. I have my own closed cable-connection at my home so I might be actually a bit safer. But yes, I can understand your worry, especially with public access computers. I wouldn't pay any sums on fex. an open WLAN connection.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #104
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Nogrod I have one little used account which suggests that there has been carnage of fantastically rich people who happen to share my name on a Nigerian highway that it is practically genocide... but while I am sure it is probably safe.. I am just not keen to pump in all my bank or credit card details into a computer and get an account for this purpose only. I have just lost faith and remember I use public access computers. I am sure Iam being paranoid. I just feel for the sum involved I would rather risk the money getting lost in the post than maybe opening the door to my bank account. I will have to look at other options.
No you're totally correct, not paranoid at all. I remember when I went to the library downtown I hated using ebay or anything like that because you never know what the computer will store (or what people can do to fetch that information). I completely agree with you on that. Better safe than sorry, as they say, especially on the internet.

Also, the mental image that first part conjures up is likely funnier than intended.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #105
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Downs will go on....

Good news! Fast work through PayPal has netted the Downs over $150 in donations. The bill has been paid and the Downs will have a home for another couple of years. Any extra money I receive will go into reserve for the domain fee which is due in October.

I really appreciate how quickly everyone responded. I only drop in a few times a week and I never participate in conversations anymore, but I still really love the Downs and the people on it. We all share a passion for Middle-earth, and we have created a true community here.

Thanks for your support!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #106
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Frankly, I'm not sure if my donation got through. Even though Paypal called me to confirm it, they now say they have no confirmation of the number they called me at, and want me to send them physical documentation of who I am and where I live and frankly a whole lot of other private information I don't want to give them. If there's another way of doing this, I'm still willing, but dang, they have this way of making honest people feel like criminals. It's not the first time I've encountered this with Paypal, alas.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #107
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight View Post
The Downs will go on....
We'll stay
Forever this way!
You are safe on the Downs and
The Downs will go onnn and onnnn!

*cough*

What? It's catchy.

Thanks everybody! You're all kings and queens of the (cyber-)world.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your trouble Ibrin. I'm sure BW can confirm whether or not your payment went through.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #108
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight View Post
Good news! Fast work through PayPal has netted the Downs over $150 in donations. The bill has been paid and the Downs will have a home for another couple of years. Any extra money I receive will go into reserve for the domain fee which is due in October.
My donation just went through so I guess I'll be the first to make a donation towards the domain fee.

Nice work, everyone.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #109
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I'd like to put something towards the costs, even if it's no longer urgent, however I'm another face in the not-that-keen-on-PayPal crowd. I've had some hassles with it in the past.

Is it possible to do a direct transfer instead?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #110
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I used to use Paypal quite a bit when I was into my ebay crazy days. It worked well until my debit card got eaten by an ATM machine. My new card had a new number, and so any transactions on Paypal quit working. I tried to update my Paypal info with the new card details, and Paypal refused to communicate with my bank. Bank said the problem was on Paypal's end, and Paypal said it was the bank. So I basically left it alone for several years now.

That said, I haven't really put much $ to the site, unless buying a tshirt and a coffee mug counted. I'll consider doing it now.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #111
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Here I think there is a international transfer fee of £7 which is a lot for the amount I am planning on sending - I would I were wealthier but I am only just getting on a steadier footing after the financial disaster that was last year . Only worth it for a larger amount - say if several people in the same country pooled their donation. Paypal is certainly cheaper for the sums likely to be involved here.

Is this amazon thing worth looking at now the immediate need is met. I trust Amazon....

Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #112
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

One of the things that really ticked me off when Paypal froze the account was that they required more fees to unfreeze it. That's just wrong. I've never had this kind of trouble with amazon's service, but I keep hearing of (and encountering) new headaches with Paypal. Sigh.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #113
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Just occured that it is two and a half years since the last whip round and with a possible increase in traffic coming with the films in less than two months...is it time for another whip round. I have started Ebaying agains so I guess I am going to have to bite the paypal bullet anyway.....