The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2002, 04:22 PM   #41
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm fifteen, and I only read The Hobbit a year ago, and the LOTR just after that. My mum talked me into it, and I don't really regret giving in to her... I'm kinda proud of myself for reading them in English, especially lotr, 'cause it's so huge. I'm reading Silm now (in English this one too..). The Norwegian translation has even translated the names, and I really don't like it when they do that. And I have this thing about reading books in the original language (if I understand that language that is..). It's the author's own words then, you know..
Old 10-12-2002, 04:51 PM   #42
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*Cheers* Good job! Name translations? What's that like? What are their names?

Hmmm...maybe I should try Lord of the Rings en Espanol...might be good practice for me...I almost know the books by heart anyway!
Old 10-20-2002, 09:45 AM   #43
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

We have Frodo and Bilbo Lommelun(Baggins), Muntiadoc (Meriadoc), Tók(Took) and Kløvendal (Rivendell). There's loads more too, but as I haven't read them in Norwegian...
Old 10-20-2002, 12:04 PM   #44
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

i read the hobbit when i was in year 3, so i was about 7 or 8. I read LoTR when i was in year 6, or 7, i forget- about 10 or 11. I read the when i was 13, say 6 months ago.
Im now 13, but Im 14 on wednesday.
Right...so to get into the coming of age club, ive only got until Im 32 years old.

*sigh*
Old 10-20-2002, 01:36 PM   #45
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Im now 13, but Im 14 on wednesday.
No, I'm 13, but I'm going to be 14 on Wednesday!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I need to stop finding people who are the same age as me and have the same birthday...
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:03 PM   #46
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

woah! how cool! well, happy birthday Galadrie1- the 23rd is obviously the best day to have a b*day!
Old 12-12-2002, 10:37 PM   #47
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This thread is rather old, but who cares? It looks fun, and maybe we can get some more action? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I first heard of LOTR when I was five nearly six, and I read it for myself when I was eleven (exactly last year). But it was read to me when I was seven. So I've loved LOTR nearly seven years now (seven years exactly on Christmas). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Long time, considering how young I am. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Only eleven more years till I can be on the Coming of Age thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Nurumaiel
Old 12-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #48
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for bringing this thread up Nurumaiel! It has been a while hasn't it? Any other under age people here?
Old 12-13-2002, 03:16 PM   #49
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never really got into Tolkien until two years ago, even though my dad was into it when he was younger and my sister had done her English ISU on FotR. But I was working at a theater at the time, and I saw a teaser trailer for FotR almost a year before the movie came out, so I basically devoured the Hobbit and the LotR trilogy in under a month. I was 15 then, I'm 17 now. Since then I've read my dad's 1975 copy of the Silm., UT, and i've read the non-etmymology portion of the Lost Road (HoME), as well as the Lays of Beleriand (HoME). needless to say, I've been hooked since then.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:51 PM   #50
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I was a Star Wars freak in 6th grade (5 years ago), but I decided to read The Hobbit for an oral book report. I didn't finish it on time because of procrastination. I think I've read it 3 times now.

I think it was 7th grade when I decided to read LotR. I saw the old battered copies that belong to my mom sitting on the bookshelf. I'd never really noticed them before, but after she vaguely described them to me, I read them. That Christmas ('98) I received my own boxed set, which was quickly destroyed by coffee. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] the pictures on the cover were ugly anyway.

In '99 (Christmas of my 8th grade year) I received a boxed version containing LotR in 3 volumes and The Hobbit. I still have them. They are my lifeline. I will be getting the red leather edition for Christmas this year ($75).

I did The Hobbit for a comic-strip book report in 7th grade (the riddle-scene) and the Fellowship for a written book report in 8th grade.

I think I've read FotR 3 times and TTT and RotK 2 times. I just started TTT again. I'm at the Entmoot part.

I've tried to read Silm, but it takes a long time to concentrate on it. Christmas break just started for me so maybe I'll read it during these 2-3 weeks of freedom.

I've read sections of UT. It's a very interesting book, filling up the holes left in the original stories.

I'm planning on getting all 12 HoMe volumes in hardcover one of these days.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:52 AM   #51
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
I started reading LotR this year, and I positively love them. There is no other book that is better.
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:18 AM   #52
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had the hobbit read to me by my dad when I was seven, that what started this all off, his amazing gollum voice it was soooo scary! So really me being a LOTR freak is his fault so he can't complain or at least shouldn't but is now!

Anyway.. I read LOTR when I was 12, and have since read it about 20 times. I've read the silm that's my fav about 15 time. It takes longer than LOTR cause I end up having to draw charts to remember who is who and then lose them before I read it again and so have to make another! I've read Unfinshed tales about twice and loved it, I need to reread it soon. I read Farmer Giles of Ham, Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Of Tree and Leave(that's the one I'm proud of cause it has a huge essay on fairy tales which you have to read),Smith of Wooton major (love that one)and the homecoming of Beorthnoth, at least twice each if not more.

I've read most of the HoME and LOVED number ten the best!

I read my Tolkien beastary and the Tolkien encyclopedia nearly everyday(just bits) and have to admit to reading them all the way through at least twice.

And I'm currently looking for the last HoME would you believe it Number One the only one I haven't read. When I've found and read it I'm going to buy them all in a nice addition or maybe ask for them for christmas though my parents thing I'm strange so I may not get them!

All this in only...ummm..well I'm 15 now so that makes it 8 years! WOW, time slips by doesn't it!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:56 PM   #53
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Well I am 15 years old and I read Lord of the Rings in october. I guess it makes me about 3 months old [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . I read it afther I saw the firsth movie. (I saw the movie because I got a puzzle from christmas and my mother kept nagging my head to see it. Bless puzzles and mothers.) I am ashamed o say that I am only introduced into Tolkien's world 4 Months ago.

Sorry people I got here as soon as I could.
________
FORD MTX TRANSMISSION

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:35 PM   #54
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My step-mother gave me the Hobbit when I was 9 at her and my dad's wedding. I read it and fell in love! I've been reading JRRT stuff ever since. I am currently 16.

*~Marsyas~*
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:47 AM   #55
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I notice that all you guy's and girl's read the Hobbit when you where young. I never read the Hobbit in my life.

Is it so that the Hobbit is a must-be-read-by-you-child-book over there in America? Cause over here it sertenly issn't.
________
VAPORITE SOLO

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:35 PM   #56
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Hobbit isn't a must-read. I think the reason it is read by so many when they are young is because it is easier to follow and understand than LotR. I tried to read LotR after I finished the Hobbit and was absolutely overwhelmed at first.

*~Marsyas~*
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:57 PM   #57
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I'm on chapter 13 "Of The Return of the Noldor" in the Silmarillion. It's such an awesome book! I wish I would have read it ages ago. And I'm borrowing The Atlas of Middle-earth from my uncle. It clears things up a lot. Now I know where everything is at! Yay!

*clears throat*

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:16 PM   #58
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

"The Hobbit" is certainly not a "must-read" over here in New York. Here, there aren't too many readers in general. Parents have the habit of plopping their kids in front of the TV and leaving them. My mom was different, however. Instead of letting me mindlessly watch TV, she would read to me until I asked her to stop, then I continued to read by myself.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:22 AM   #59
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
. Parents have the habit of plopping their kids in front of the TV and leaving them. My mom was different, however. Instead of letting me mindlessly watch TV,
Now I recent that Vanima. Because of the t.v. I spoke perfectly good englisch in 3 dialect's when I was 8 so don't say it's mindless. It's just a matter of putting your child in front of the right program. (For me Enlisch languaged cartoons worked, with subtitles ofcaurse but you pick up a lot from it.
________
HERB SCALES

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:30 PM   #60
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I first read the Hobbit in fifth grade (1997)for school and after much convincing from my friend I read LotR in seventh (1999). Since the I have read all the other books written by Tolkien except the last four HoME of which I got two for Christmas and still have yet to read them. I read everything (Hobbit, LotR, Sil, UT, and now HoME) yearly and if I want to, I'll read one of them more than once. So, its been 5 years since I was intoduced to Tolkien.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:28 AM   #61
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
The Norwegian translation has even translated the names, and I really don't like it when they do that.
Yes my Dutch version has the same problem.
Demsterwold(Mirkwood) de eenzame berg(the lonly mountain) Frodo and Bilbo Balings(Baggins) and I could go on about it for ages. The worsth thing they did is litteraly translate treebeard's name. Boombaard. Boom is the dutch word for tree and baard is the Dutch word for beard.

How annoying.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
HONDA CHF50P SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:41 AM   #62
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You will all hate me for this, but I first read FOTR for a book Report in 7th grade. I had been having a hard time finding books, so I asked the Librarian about what I should read, and since I had read some of the "Redwall" books they said that I should try this. This is where all the trouble started. I thought (stupidly) that "The Hobbit" was the first book in the series, and that I was starting with the second book (I know what you are thinking).

While I was reading it, I was trying to imagine what the Hobbits looked like, I thought they would be ugly, like Scandinavian trolls. So I could not relate, it was a very hard book to read for me, so I did not read TTT, or ROTK. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I did remember the book (The main parts I remembered were Bilbo, and the big huge party he threw, and the party tree, strange, I know).

Travel into the future, 2001, I was on a car trip to Minnesota, and I received a free Entertaiment Weekly at a hotel we stayed at, it was the fall movie preview, and one of the films in it was FOTR, I remember that so vividly, and thinking "maybe this movie will finally explain the story to me"

So when December came around, my mother kept asking me, "we should go to FOTR". and I kept saying "later", "later". I did not go until January 12 (I think) because my sister had said "you should go to this film, it is really good". I did go, and I loved it! and I kept thinking about it, so I went and saw it over and over again, and then I decided to read the books, (and I finally came to my senses). The books were wonderful! I now have read them a couple of times now, and I am finally a full fleshed LOTR fanatic, the books and everything is so wonderful! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have been a fan of the books for about a year now.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 05:40 PM   #63
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Quote:
. It's just a matter of putting your child in front of the right program. (For me Enlisch languaged cartoons worked, with subtitles ofcaurse but you pick up a lot from it.
Well, you had the right programs. Most of youth TV-watching here involves little New York kids being plopped down in front of "Teletubbies" where the most intelligent thing they say is, "EH-OOOOOOOOH!" when something bad happens. There is not too much good children's programming here. It all has poor grammar, and teaches the children bad grammar. I remember when I was eight, I used to have fights with my old best friend because she insisted that "bestest" was a word because she heard it on "Rugrats", whereas I never watched the show, and thought, from the commercials I saw, that it was an awful waste of airspace (no offense to you who like it).

And yes, I thought it was a waste: I was that kind of child (and still am that kind of teenager). My mom tells me all these things I said when I was little, and I realize: I was quite a cynical little child. Now, my friends say things along the lines of, "How can you believe in so much magic in the world and be so cynical?" (direct quote from my friend Erin), so I guess...I don't know what that says about me. I am happy, I really am...I guess...I'm bored, but happy...

Well, enough personal life...
Old 01-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #64
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Silmaril

I first read the FOTR about three years ago and I am now almost 15.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:11 AM   #65
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read The Hobbit when I was 11 because I was given it as a birthday present, and I read FotR over this summer. Then I finished TTT about a week before Christmas (which was my goal anyway), and at the moment I've just finished the first chapter of RotK. I was 14 when I read FotR and 15 when I finished TTT...do the maths.

I was going to read LotR after I read The Hobbit because I thought Tolkien's descriptions and characterisation were exactly like the sort of thing I wanted to achieve in my own creative writing, but I couldn't find a copy of it anywhere. So I had to wait until after the first film was released to get a copy of the book, which I absolutely hated because I either didn't have enough money for it or they were all sold out!!

The one thing I regret about my approach to Tolkien's works was the fact that I saw the film before I read the book...not good *shakes head and finger as if telling self off*
Old 01-04-2003, 07:49 AM   #66
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Greetings all,

I would like to take the oppurtunety and D*MN my local book store. I have read LOTR for the second time now, (and cried at the and) and I'm trying to get my hands on The Silmarillion. They don't have it. It's very frustrating.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Buy herbalaire

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:06 PM   #67
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

That's easy enough to solve. To to http://www.amazon.com , dollface. They even have all 12 volumes of HoME...
Old 01-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #68
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

I first read The Hobbit a few weeks ago. two days after seeing FotR on DVD. I literally became obsessed overnight. (blame it on my friends, they bugged me for two months till I watched it.) needless to say, I've seen TTT and want to see it again. I now have two copies of the series, one all-in-one, one is a box set w/The Hobbit. currently, I have TOR on a chain around my neck, my hair is in elf fashion, I'm here on BD,and FotR is playing on my DVD player...*attention turnes to TV...*cringe* the hobbits just fell down the cliff...ow.
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:38 AM   #69
Hobbiton_Girl

Sting

Ah, my journy into Middle-Earth. I got hooked in a kind of round-about way. This might take awhile so bear with me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I grew up watching the cartoon movie "The Hobbit" The Gollum and Goblin scenes always scared the bajeebies out of me but I thought the dragon scenes were pretty cool. It was never one of my favorite movies but for a kid between the ages of 2-5, it's a great movie to watch when your trying to take a nap!
I read "The Hobbit" because of the movie and I wanted to caompare them. I liked the book better, being a book junkie, but it never became one of my favorites. This was when I was about 12 years old.
I write on message board add on stories (Sort of like Fan fics escept mostly they are creative ideas and not based on movies or books) and was writing on a Star Wars one (There I go contradicting myself)and I met this guy who was really into LOTR. About 4 months before FOTR came out, he asked me to help him start a fan fic about LOTR. I didn't know anything about it and, reading my entris now I have to laugh. But then I heard about the movie coming out and I really wanted to see it. My mom, hearing how interested I was in the movie, got my the trilogy book for Christmas and said I had to read it before I could see the movie. I read the whole thing in two weeks, went to go see the movie, and now I'm a 17 year old fanatic!

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Hobbiton_Girl ]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:17 PM   #70
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's see, it was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, 2001. Yep. I read The Hobbit first and then read The Lord of the Rings and finished before I saw the movie on the 27th. ::sad sigh:: Ah yes, the days when I was ignorant of the great works of J.R.R. Tolkien... NOW I'LL NEVER FORGET HIM! And I am a total fanatic. I've read books five times since then and have watched FotR countless times since it came out... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And all because a teacher told me about the books and this great-sounding movie that was going to come out... Now, I'm obsessed. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:18 PM   #71
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh yeah, and I'm 14.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #72
**sparkle fairy**
Pile O'Bones

**sparkle fairy** has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hi I'm 14 and called katherine. And i'm feeling very embarressed [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] as i am only on chapter 4 of the hobbit. I have always wanted to read them but have only just found time to do it.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:41 PM   #73
The Human Of Our Time
Pile O'Bones

The Human Of Our Time has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I'm 17 and I just finished reading The Return of the King on Thursday at about 1 in the morning. I loved the book so much that I had to stay up and read it. All parts of the book were great and The Hobbit too. I'm glad that the movies came out so I got into the books and my friend who encourages me to read it. I loved the movies too, but I can't really compare them together.

Oh and, obviously, Gollum is my favorite character! I think he's a great character. And without him...You know.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Sméagol ]
The Human Of Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:50 AM   #74
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Quote:
I loved the book so much that I had to stay up and read it.
Did you cry? I cry every time I read "Return of the King" for about the last 100-150 pages...scared some people last time, as I was on an airplane when I was reading it...
Old 01-15-2003, 02:46 PM   #75
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Yeah, when I first read the books I stayed up so late. I think when I read the second half of TTT I stayed up till like 2, because I wanted to find out what happened to Frodo and Sam. Then I found out what happened, and then I read ROTK. Those books are amazing. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 03:03 PM   #76
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When I read first RotK, I'd stay up as late as I could keep my eyes open. Then I'd get up and immediately grab the book and continue reading until my mom forced me to get out of bed and eat something.... Honestly, I just don't understand mothers sometimes. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #77
Nevolosse Maehayanda
Pile O'Bones

Nevolosse Maehayanda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nevolosse Maehayanda Send a message via AIM to Nevolosse Maehayanda
Sting

I read the Hobbit the summer after 5th grade..which means...i'd be...10. And Lotr the school year afterwards...Then I read The Silmarillion when I was 11, and HoME this year...and I'm 12 still! *wah*
Old 01-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #78
The Human Of Our Time
Pile O'Bones

The Human Of Our Time has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Well I didn't cry, but a tear or two might have come to my eyes. I know I just finished reading the books a little while ago, but I want to read them again!

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Sméagol ]
The Human Of Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:48 PM   #79
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Under Age Club members who have read any of HoME unite! Yaaaay!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:25 PM   #80
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Sorry haven't got to HoME yet, I am just starting on the Sil, but I have been so busy (with school, finals and all) that I haven't had much time to read, but I can't wait. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]