The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #81
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I´m with you Vanima, unite! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have only read , BoLT 1&2, Morgoth´s Ring and The Lost Road (the ones I´ve got), but still.
What about you all?
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 AM   #82
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I've read every Tolkien book (published at least) except bloody Leaf by Niggle! I cannot find it anywhere (without ordering it online that is)! Horrid really.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:04 AM   #83
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, I didn't know what the hobbit was until sixth grade (I'm in eigth now), but for some reason, I thought it wasn't fantasy, and didn't want to read it.

But then we had to for a project, and meanwhile, my friend introduced my to LotR and I was hooked. I have attempted the Silmarillion (however you spell it), but there were so many names!!! I lost track of who was who, and all that...
Old 01-20-2003, 04:21 AM   #84
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

I'm an under-aged member. I am a new fan of this all....introduced to it all in November....

...i still have yet to read any other works by Tolkien...I'm trying hard to find them though!
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #85
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mwahaha! I'm older than *most* of you! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I'm almost in my "tweens" (If you don't know what that is, go read Fellowship again!)

Um, actually, I got introduced to LotR on the cartoon version of the Hobbit. Y'know, with all the *ugly* elves and hobbits and dwarves, etc. The Goblins gave me nightmares for "heap many moons." We have a copy of it, and I saw it when I was, I dunno, 6? 7? Anyhoo, I read the hobbit when I was . . . around . . . 9 or 10 . . . and then I tried to read LotR, but sadly, I failed! Wasn't my fault, Dad didn't have all the books. Then he got them from a second-hand dealer, and I finally read TTT. (That's the one he didn't have.) But by THEN I was really confused (who wouldn't be, reading them all out of order like that?) so, I pretty much left LotR alone, until my little brother got into it. He (I'm totally serious.) read those books to SHREDS!!! And they were in good condition! So then I HAD to read them, and I did. I didn't really like them until I was about . . . 16 or 17. Then I fell in love. (How cliché.) And I GOBBLE LotR. I've read the LotR I dunno how many times, the Hobbit, several, The Silmarillion 1 & 1/2, Lost Tales 1 & 2, AND Farmer Giles, etc. I loved the Sil, but I don't remember hardly any of the Lost Tales. (CT drove me nuts with all his interupting.) So, I've been a complete LotR FREAK for about . . . 3 - 4 years, but I've known and semi-liked LotR for about . . . 10. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:42 PM   #86
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Eh: all ages are accepted, hon! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I hated the cartoon version of Lord of the Rings. Poor Glorfindel: he never gets into the movies. In that movie, Legolas rescued Frodo...Legolas of the freaky-eyes, that is.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #87
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

The elves were ugly in those movies! Ugly ELVES for the luva mike!!!! I mean, come on! They looked like they had been soaking in vinegar for thousands of years instead of living in ME!!!!!!!

By the way, VadimaEdhel (did I spell that right? Sorry!) Were you talking to me?

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 01-23-2003, 11:56 PM   #88
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Artalwen why are you having a hard time finding the books? they are kinda easy to find, they even sell a paperback of the TTT at my local grocery store, you can find them at almost all bookstores and Amazon.com.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:07 PM   #89
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Maybe they ran out from Christmas. My brother got me the last hard-bound copy of the Silmarillion in town for Christmas (bless him!) and gave his friend the last paperback! (Ha Ha! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) Stores probably haven't restocked . . .

Old 01-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #90
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I first read The Lord of the Rings the summer before the movies came out. Everybody was saying that LOTR was better than Harry Potter, and I started getting quite irritated, thinking: Those people don't know what they're talking about- nothing can be better than Harry Potter. On second thought, though, I decided that maybe I'd better see what all the fuss was about. I picked up The Hobbit, and was immediately hooked. I finished Lord of the Rings in a week.

Now, I still don't think that Lord of the Rings is better than Harry Potter. They're both very different books, and excellent in their own rights.

Phew. I'm done now.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:51 AM   #91
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll join. I'm 16.I first read LoTR a year or so ago and the Hobbit a few months before. I've also read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, HoME 2, 6, 10 and 12.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #92
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

I like this thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm 13 and currently in 8th grade. I was introduced to Tolkien by my mother when I was 9. I started with the Hobbit then the Lord of the Rings:trilogy-then got even more engrosed and read the Slmarillion, the Book of Lost Tales I&II etc... I'm still not finished reading everything-right now I'm reading the History of the Lord of the Rings four volume set.

Thanks to Arwen Imladris for starting this thread! I can finally fit in [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #93
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
HoME 2, 6, 10 and 12.
Eep! I could never do that! I'm too compulsive: I have to read everything in order...
Old 01-30-2003, 06:20 PM   #94
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Yeah me too-but I don't think not reading in order is fine. I don't think it's too much trouble discerning which of the books are beginning and which one is in the end. But yes I too read it in order; which brings up another problem. What if you can't borrow or buy in order? I wouldn't mind- I would just read in any-which order [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ::shrug::
Old 01-30-2003, 09:27 PM   #95
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Gee, I don't fit in anywhere. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I'm too old for this site, rules are for those ages under 18. The coming-of-age rules are for those who have read Tolkien at least 18 years. I'm 29 (30 on U.S. tax day) but I've only started reading Tolkien September of 2001. I guess I'll start an oddball club! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 03:16 AM   #96
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hobbitlass - There was a Tolkien Middle-Age Club here somewhere, for people "in between": Over 18, and haven´t read Tolkien for 18 years or longer.
I don´t know if it´s still there, but if it isn´t I guess you could start a new. I will join it, in about half a year or so... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:54 AM   #97
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Thank you, young one, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . I shall indeed search for that one.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #98
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

hehehe hobbitlass and Earendil I believe it still does exist. I posted something there before & found out it's only for people 18+. Ahh well there are threads for everything.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:55 PM   #99
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Thanks to Arwen Imladris for starting this thread! I can finally fit in
Awww! Thanks InklingElf!
Old 02-01-2003, 12:46 AM   #100
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Mom was reading the Hobbit to us (me and my siblings) when I was about five or six. Then, when I heard the movie was coming out, it prompted me to read the books, which I fell in love with instantly. (I had got the books in a collected version when I was about nine, but it was too hard for me too read, so...) So here I am!

~Hirilaelin, Sorceress of the Misted Isle
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #101
Nuinatariel
Haunting Spirit

Nuinatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I just finished reading the LotR for the first time a few weeks ago. I love the books and just joined this site. It's great to have so many Tolkien fans in one place!
Old 02-02-2003, 06:41 PM   #102
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well I’m 17 almost 18!!! I started reading the Hobbit when I was 10. My mother checked it out from the library, and told me to read it. At first I was upset, I HATE being told what to do, but then I really started to like it. For some reason I always thought that Kili and Fili were girls. Well after I finished the Hobbit I didn’t know what to do. I looked in my father’s bookcase and saw another book by Tolkien THE RETURN OF THE KING. I happily opened it up and saw a familiar name Gandalf. But the I became lost in all the names and places I knew nothing about. I didn’t read anymore until I saw the first movie. That rekindled my interest. I started reading the fellowship of the ring. Now after traveling middle earth a few times, I have started read the Sil. Out of all the books I’ve ever read the only ones that even come close are the Dune series by Frank Herbert.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #103
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Vardamar I too got into the books practically the same way that you did, I was a little interested and then once the movies came out I read all the books and I love it. that's cool. we are a rare breed of fan. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 06:46 PM   #104
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Well, I will admit I read the books after the first movie came out though my dad was a fan and had introduced it to me before. And on my mom's side, my aunt had a cat named Frodo who has recently died and still has one named Pippin. I saw the cartoon when I was about 10 or 11 and I read the books last year at age 12, now I'm only 13(dangit). I'm now known as an LOTR freak throughout my school, not that that's a bad thing, most people like it, but most of the girls, unlike me, like it for the "hot" guys. Ugh. Who cares? Oh, right, they do.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:22 PM   #105
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Arwen Imladris: [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] No problem, you deserve the credit!

Durelin :hehehe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I saw the cartoons too-just last year, though the LOTR one was kind of crappy.-I got a head-ache! But I like the Hobbit one. I'm 13 too, I started to read the Hobbit when I was 9, then the trilogy,then the Silmarillion etc., and right now I'm reading the Lost Road and other writingsgemme five!
Old 02-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #106
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Silmaril

Gosh, all those books at such a young age, I could barely handle FOTR at age 12, I was so confused about it, I did not get it, though I do remember some parts.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #107
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I watched the cartoon movie of the hobbit when I was 7 or 8. Then my mom told me about FOTR coming out. I didn't read the books until after I'd seen it. So I was 14 when I first read the hobbit and LOTR. Kinda sad... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Iverin ]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:58 PM   #108
Túrin Turambar
Pile O'Bones

Túrin Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I first begun to read The Fellowship of the ring when i was 12 and now when Im 14 I've read almost everything Tolkien related there is to find.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Túrin Turambar ]

Join The Prancing Pony today!
Túrin Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:46 PM   #109
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Arwen Imladris: No problem, you deserve the credit!
*Arwen Imladris blushes*

Aww, it wasn't that hard guys!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:57 AM   #110
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Gosh, all those books at such a young age, I could barely handle FOTR at age 12, I was so confused about it, I did not get it, though I do remember some parts.
Gorwingel, don't worry. It drove me nuts until I had to read over and over again [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

BTW: Cool sig
Old 05-19-2003, 02:57 AM   #111
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I had Lord of the Rings read to me when I was little, about 6, but I guess that doesnt count.

I read the hobbit when I was 9, and then I read Lord Of the Rings when I was 10, but I got absolutely confused [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . So I read it again when I was 12 and I finally got it. And now I am 15 and I have read the Simarillion. I think I need to read it again though. Just so I take it all in. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 03:04 AM   #112
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

The Hobbit was read to me in first grade, and I didn't much like it, so I only read LotR in the beginning of fifth grade, because I thought I wouldn' like it. I really loved it, but then I forgot about it till FotR came out. I loved it. Then, a few weeks before TTT came out I got seriously hooked, came here, and have been here since! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-19-2003, 04:18 AM   #113
Tinuviel Took
Wight

Tinuviel Took has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was ten when my parents read The Hobbit and LoTR to us (That was also when the let us watch Star Wars. They wanted us to be old enough to understand it the first time we watched it, so we could enjoy it). I then read them for myself right afterwards and read the Silm. when I was eleven. I didn't understand all of the Silmarillion fully the first time I read it but understood and loved the others from the first.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #114
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up Once More

I am attempting to ressurect this thread not because I qualify to post to it (being over 18 years old ) but because I think it's a good idea for a thread, and I rather suspect there might be a few newer members out there who would appreciate it -- and I would love to lurk on the thread and see what they have to say.

In hopes that this will re-ignite the thread, I bring forward the initial post by Arwen Imladris

Quote:
This is for all of us who are too young to post in the The Tolkien Coming of Age Club. That would be anyone who is under 18. Please tell us how long ago you first read the book(s); if you like, your age at that time and what prompted you to read Tolkien.

I first read The hobbit and LOTR when I was ~10ish. That would be about 6 years ago. Before that my parents had read it to me.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #115
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Just to hlep Fordim resurrect the thread,

I watched the Hobbit when I was about ten and Gollum and freaked me out so much I never wanted to watch it again. Then my bro was rummaging around his bookshelf and found a very tattered copy of the book. I didn't want to read it because of the movie and those nasssty elves, but I couldn't let my bro read something I wouldn't...besides, he said he liked it...so I read it. Then my bro found out about the rest of the Trilogy and I read after he did.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #116
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Another 'resurrection'.....

I've only been reading LotR for a few years. I'm on my sixth time through.

Imladris, I, too, watched the animated version of The Hobbit and was throroughly freaked out. I'd read LotR about twice at that time and The Hobbit once, so I was informed.... My family, however, hadn't read the Hobbit, and were thoroughly confused. (Not having seen any of Peter Jackson's wondrous films yet, though I think it was late '02.)
Old 02-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #117
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I was 6 when my father read LotR to me aloud... When I was 8, I read it by myself and totally fell in love with it. By now I've read it 15 times. I've also read The Hobbit, The Sil and The UT. I would like to read HoME-series, but you can't get them from Finland. I should probably order from Amazon.com.
My age: I'm 15 next tuesday...

Last edited by Thinlómien; 02-18-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:14 AM   #118
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Hey guys, I'm under age, so I guess I qualify for the underage club? I just got registered, so be nice please. I have another name, muhahahaha. I'm always watching you. That should be a "had" anyway... lost it to a friend. *sniff* I'm 18 in July so I'll be able to be here until then.

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
ElementFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #119
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I saw the movies first. I have been reading the books since I was 13, that was in 2003, so about when ROTK came out. I have The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and soon to be the new one (children of hurin), but I have not yet read the hobbit or the sil. Lately, I have just been going to them for reference.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #120
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
I have The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and soon to be the new one (children of hurin), but I have not yet read the hobbit or the sil. Lately, I have just been going to them for reference.
I recommend you to read the Sil before reading The Children of Húrin. I bet you'll understand more about it and enjoy it more when you know the background.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote