The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #321
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Dunno... I truly loathe soccer as much as a mystery to me as whatever tos Yankee / Sox people play... but I approve your list with the exception of Reeves and Mortimer who I have never seen outside that thing where one of them was dead and the Renault commercial..

Of course Tolkien was colonial born ... I wonder if this coloured the importance of home to him...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #322
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Of course Tolkien was colonial born ... I wonder if this coloured the importance of home to him...
I think I read somewhere that he was very much affected by his mother's desperate need to return to the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong!

But, you mean you have not witnessed Reeves & Mortimer's finest creations, Mulligan and O'Hare? Truly grotesque! I forgot another fine comedy show which I must mention here - The Shuttleworths (Radio 4) and the TV spin-off, 500 Bus Stops.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #323
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Lalwendë posted:

Now, comedy, that's something British that's properly cool! Let me see...The League of Gentlemen, Reeves & Mortimer, Monty Python, The Office, Blackadder... but then one of my favourites, Father Ted, is Irish.
If I may add: Yes Minister, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, Withnail and I, to say nothing of Alex Guiness' Lavender Hill Gang and The Ladykillers etc etc ...

Quote:
Eomer of the Rohirrimposted:

'British cool' was always 'English cool'. (Did I make that point before?)

How about the tiny, little book of modern Scottish wit? If anyone finds that one, it's probably all lies.
Does the land need wit that gave us Scotch, golf, men in skirts, Gregory's Girl and Sean Connery? Oh, and Saint "Mungo"?
Old 10-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #324
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry all, but for my toonie, nobody, NOBODY is funnier than us Canucks. SCTV, Kids in the Hall, The Frantics -- the list goes on and on.

Pretty much all of the really funniest people in Hollywood are Canadian too: Leslie Neilsen, the writers of The Simpsons, Jim Carrey (OK, I admit, I don't find him funny, but many do) and, of course, William Shatner -- sure, he's no comedian (intentionally) but I figure we gave the world James Tiberius Kirk, and that trumps everyone else.

To continue on my nationalist rant. . .the following inventions are all Canadian:

Football
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Apple Pie
the Zipper
the Communications Satellite

and, last but never least,

Poutine!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:36 PM   #325
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
...and, of course, William Shatner -- sure, he's no comedian (intentionally) but I figure we gave the world James Tiberius Kirk, and that trumps everyone else.
Hear, hear. There is no one like the wonderful Bill Shatner, and certainly no one can deliver a "KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!" like he can.

I get far too much enjoyment from Star Trek.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #326
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
If I may add: Yes Minister
I do like Yes Minister but at times it's like a reality show for me and can be uncomfortable to watch! That is how the senior grades really do act...

Fordim, I've some questions for you on a Canadian theme: Is Mike Myers Canadian (Wayne's World is another fave of mine)? And by 'football', do you mean the kind with quarterbacks and touchdowns? Football to me means the kind with Wayne Rooney and the offside rule and failing to win the World Cup, which surely is as British an invention as they come?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #327
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Fordim, I've some questions for you on a Canadian theme: Is Mike Myers Canadian (Wayne's World is another fave of mine)? And by 'football', do you mean the kind with quarterbacks and touchdowns? Football to me means the kind with Wayne Rooney and the offside rule and failing to win the World Cup, which surely is as British an invention as they come?
Myers is indeed as Canadian as maple syrup (90% of the world's supply of which is supplied by farms from within a 250 Km radius of my hometown).

And by "football" I mean the kind with quarterbacks and touchdowns -- although Canadian rules football (the original rules) includes some things that our friends to the south deemed unnecessary to their version of the game. . .much to my confusion and chagrin.

Don't feel too bad about English soccer -- at least your teams consistently qualify for play in the World Cup. . .is anyone outside Canada even aware that we have a soccer team?????
Old 10-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #328
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Sorry all, but for my toonie, nobody, NOBODY is funnier than us Canucks. SCTV, Kids in the Hall, The Frantics -- the list goes on and on.

Poutine!

Am I very insular or has noone else heard of ANY of these (at least without some sneaky mugging up on Google)?
I think I am going to renew my acquaintanceship with Fordim's gauntlet very soon so it may as well be for a sheep as a lamb...

Hockey is played on grass by english schoolgirls in the winter
Basketball is basically netball. Ditto
Baseball is rounders which is played by english schoolgirls in the summer.
The football I recognise is played by a team of fifteen with no padding and is taken up by English girls at university when they are bored to tears by the above games.

Well my area provides most of the country's old people ... or so it seems ...

Gee home of Maple Syrup and the zipper? Gosh I have missed out on so much by not visiting Canada yet. Almost sorry my Pa didn't emigrate when he had the chance and stay with the "Vandoos"... I too could have been Canadian...

I adore Ealing comedy ...
Yes Minister is superb ... Ihave heard that truly it can be taken more or less as documentary but having failed the aptitude tests, I could neither confirm nor deny....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 10-24-2004 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling, spelling and more spelling
Old 10-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #329
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Gee home of Maple Syrup and the zipper? Gosh I have missed out on so much by not visiting Canada yet. Almost sorry my Pa didn't emigrate when he had the chance and stay with the "Vandoos"... I too could have been Canadian...
You should have been so lucky! My grandfather was in the vandoos, btw. . .

Oh, and you can add to the list of Canadian accomplishments being the only armed force standing between Britain and Hitler for the six months after Dunkirk.

You're welcome.

PS Poutine is chips ("fries" to our American friends) covered with beef gravy and cheese curds. Food of the gods.

PPS We also invented beaver tails: a flattened loaf of sweet dough, deep-fried then dredged in cinnamon and sugar. *drool*

PPPS We also invented standard time.

PPPPS And the philips screw.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #330
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Actually you were the ones who got off lucky... my Canadian cousins are enough of a drain on the Canadian mental health budget so they probably wouldn't be keen or any more of the bloodline...though the few sane ones work in the immigration dept so who knows....

Well thank you for that... (I am fairly sure we still had a few squaddies left of our own but even so, very kind) To be fair .. my pa was attached to the Canadians for them to make a proper soldier out of him and he emerged to get "The most improved cadet" (though they called it something more obscure) on his return to Sandhurst so he can't speak too highly of them. Just don't get him started on the Americans..... And he was born in 1925 so you do the maths....

Old 10-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #331
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
PS Poutine is chips ("fries" to our American friends) covered with beef gravy and cheese curds. Food of the gods.

PPS We also invented beaver tails: a flattened loaf of sweet dough, deep-fried then dredged in cinnamon and sugar. *drool*

Poutine sounds utterly disgusting but I love bread and cinnamon so the beaver tail sounds better .... but I can feel my arteries furring at the thought of either....

The Phillips screw... is there a note of desparation creeping in... and time.... oh come on...

Old 10-24-2004, 01:15 PM   #332
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Speaking of cool achievements of where we live... New York's got the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So there. Macy's being the world's second largest consumer of helium... Can you only imagine if all of the floats were to spring leaks over NYC? *Evil chuckle*
Hm... New York is known for some things. The Yankees, Mott's Applesauce, Kodak cameras, Hilary Clinton...

But it's the scenic hills and whatnot that really count.

Fea
Old 10-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #333
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Where I live has a unique fossil rich clay which geologists find fascinating .... says it all really..

Old 10-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #334
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Quote:
Where I live has a unique fossil rich clay which geologists find fascinating .... says it all really..
Send me directions and I'll be there post-haste! Seriously though... art comes first for me, but this close >< behind it is science... more pointedly, geology. My hometown is part of a thirty-something mile long chain of antique stores. We don't even sell working things... just stuff that was cool a hundred years ago. Small wonder I get so involved in my hobbies.. .there's just nothing else to do.

Fea
Old 10-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #335
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well if you look on a map of the uk .... oh hang on... if I give you directions... I also give directions to everyone I have offended and before you know it Prof Hedgethistle will be on my doorstep with his duelling kit..( I doubt pistols will pass customs but it could be Phillips screwdrivers at dawn..... )....and all the rest will be forming an orderly queue for me to apologise to them.. if I survive that is....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 10-24-2004 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual
Old 10-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #336
turgon
Haunting Spirit

turgon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril yeehah

born and raised in the appalachian mts. of pennsyvania. reside now in texas. whats interesting about texas? the bugs get really, really big here. kinda makes me think of bilbo fighting the spiders of mirkwood whenever I dodge a big web from tree to tree
Old 10-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #337
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Yup, I'm one of very few Swedes here. I've found two so far: Eärendil and Gothmog. Woo!

I live in Stockholm, the capital of Sweden. Kinda nice place.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:37 PM   #338
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
After reading this thread it is easy to see how the BD's has become of my primary sources for news and geographical information. I think I have learned more about Canada from Fordim's rant than from history class, and how else was I ever supposed to know whether the Sox beat the Yankees? (wanders away muttering about the Cubs... )

Back on topic, suffice it to say that I live in the Midwest USA - I'm not really allowed to say more than that.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #339
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril And the Oshcar for the besht actresh in a shupporting role...

Quote:
You should have been so lucky! My grandfather was in the vandoos, btw. . .

Oh, and you can add to the list of Canadian accomplishments being the only armed force standing between Britain and Hitler for the six months after Dunkirk.

You're welcome.

Hey, you forgot the invention of fire Sorry, I'm mocking, I'll shut up...you just gave me a whole list of random trivia that I can attempt to catch people out with

Quote:
Does the land need wit that gave us Scotch, golf, men in skirts, Gregory's Girl and Sean Connery?
Beth, my dear, let's be specific about this: It's the land that gave us Sean Connery saying the immortal line "And the oscar for the best actress in a supporting role goes to..." (Just...just insert 'sh' for every 's')

Pure classic brilliance. Somewhere backstage, someone was laughing...*sigh* Good times...
Old 10-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #340
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

NightKnight, you are not alone! I'm a Swede to! ;P
As long as I've been here, I haven't met another Swede!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:41 AM   #341
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Oohh, hello then. Where do you live?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:07 AM   #342
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Well, leave out the cheese and then you have chips ‘n’ gravy, a dish of the gods if ever there was one and I fully applaud the Canadian culinary taste. One of the finer points of cuisine where I grew up was exceptionally good gravy, preferably eaten with mushy peas and Steak & Kidney Pudding, also known as a "Babby’s ‘ead". On the subject of cheese, Apple Pie was also traditionally eaten with a great lump of cheese. Prefer custard myself.

Claims to fame from the area I grew up in? Many marvellous, weird and wonderful bands and successful football teams (those that don't play in a red strip of course), incomprehensible regional accents, disgusting culinary habits such as cheese and apple pie...

Quote:
Yes Minister is superb ... Ihave heard that truly it can be taken more or less as documentary but having failed the aptitude tests, I could neither confirm nor deny....
The tests I did were easy peasy (spelling, putting things in alphabetical order), but then they were for the downtrodden admin grunt grade - the ones they are trying to fire in huge numbers, grrrr . Trying to get straight in at any higher level necessitates a weird skill combination of mind-reading and the black arts. I know people with MAs and PhDs who have failed to get in. So feel quite pleased with yourself.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:14 AM   #343
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Indeed Aman, I was most disappointed to learn that Sir Sean was not offered the part of Gandalf for our favourite film trilogy.

I would offer a huge list of Scottish achievments a la Fordim, however I am as un-patriotic as they come so I don't think I'll bother. I think there was one other Scot on the Downs but she hasn't been around for ages.

And as for kilts, they definitely rule!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #344
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë

The tests I did were easy peasy (spelling, putting things in alphabetical order), but then they were for the downtrodden admin grunt grade - the ones they are trying to fire in huge numbers, grrrr . Trying to get straight in at any higher level necessitates a weird skill combination of mind-reading and the black arts. I know people with MAs and PhDs who have failed to get in. So feel quite pleased with yourself.

Glad you assume it wasn't the easy peasy ones I failed.....

Old 10-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #345
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Back on topic, suffice it to say that I live in the Midwest USA - I'm not really allowed to say more than that
Wow...that's like, uh...kinda close to me.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #346
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Estel and Firefoot- Midwesterners rule!!
Quote:
wanders away muttering about the Cubs...
Heh... expect to be muttering about the Cubs for the rest of your life.
Quote:
the bugs get really, really big here
Yeah, no kidding. My cousin in Houston used to collect bugs and show 'em off when I went down to visit.

And Fordim, I'm astounded. I had no idea that all of those things were invented by the Northern United States of Amer- uh... I mean Canada.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:38 AM   #347
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
I've moved - West Kensington ahoy

And I'm in the right side of the best city. Life is good. Plus, the Empire is seconds from me down the road and I get free gig-tickets direct from the labels. Life is good. My local bar used to be a public convenience, but is now a hazy sofa-strewn über-bar that plays excellent music (well, my records, anyway!). Life is good. I walk barefoot across the road to the off-licence and grocery shops. In that order. Life is good.

The moral of the story is: don't live in Docklands. Ever. *shudders*
Old 11-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #348
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
at least your teams consistently qualify for play in the World Cup. . .is anyone outside Canada even aware that we have a soccer team?????
...you have a football team?

Sorry, far too easy, but it really had to be said
Old 11-21-2004, 11:56 AM   #349
Durfuiniel
Pile O'Bones

Durfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durfuiniel
I didn't read through all the thread but I guess there aren't many germans here, huh?
I live in Karlsruhe a city in the southwest of germany. I was to the states 3 times 'cause I have two aunts in Seattle and I loved the time. So after school I'm going to visit the states for half a year or more...
Durfuiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:26 PM   #350
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, Estelyn Telcontar is German... she's the only one I know of, though.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:46 AM   #351
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I do indeed live in Germany, though I'm not actually a German citizen; another member, one of the administrators, is German - Sharkû. There have been others who have popped in occasionally, but of the regulars, that's all I know of. Welcome to the Downs, Durfuiniel!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:36 AM   #352
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I always thought you were German, Esty. Now I find you to be like my sister, who lives in Germany and is Georgian citizen. Perchance you are my sister?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #353
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
I always thought you were German, Esty. Now I find you to be like my sister, who lives in Germany and is Georgian citizen. Perchance you are my sister?
*Gasp* Could it be? Could the powerful female administrator, Estelyn Telcontar, really be the sister of Heren, the lovable but cunning Downer who secretly plans to take over the 'Downs?! And what about Mark12_30 - can such a cheerful figure really mean well in 'innocently' suggesting the opening of The Gauntlet Inn - a place designed specially for fights? And can this have anything to do with Mithalwen's recent disappearance...? Tune in next time to find out on 'Who's that 'Downer?', the LotR community's favourite forum-soap!

Yes...well. Ahem. Indeed. No...germans here. *pause* If you'll excuse me...

Old 11-22-2004, 04:03 PM   #354
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oh dear, I hate to disappoint you, HI and Aman, but I'm nothing that interesting at all! I'm only bilingual, and since those two languages, neither of them Georgian, are English and German, I'm obviously not HI's sister. I am a U.S. citizen by birth, German by descent, and have been living in Germany for many years. 'Nuff information?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 PM   #355
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Not quite- we just need your SSN and address and then we'll be all done.

I'm also of German descent, but I've never been to Deutschland. I'd like to go though, mainly to see all those große alte Schlösser, or however you say it.

But there's all that water between here and there. Very deep water. I'm scared of oceans... they're just not natural (oder natürlich, for you German sprechers out there).

And Esty, are you going to be coming to my city any time soon? I'm still depressed about not getting to meet you last time you were here.

Anyway- getränkbier und essen Sie bratwursts!!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:53 AM   #356
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
Drink beer and eat your sausages? I am intrigued... perhaps there is a hidden metaphorical meaning behind this sentiment? Perhaps not... I was never good at simple messages... overthink them and all.

My descent is of the Western European Mutt variety. Some English, Welsh, Irish... But as my family is generally unaware of where my mother's side of the family came from, you could conceivably throw in any nationality and I might have a blood-relative from there. But mostly... English and Irish. No German...

Fea

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-23-2004 at 05:21 PM. Reason: *sigh* men...
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #357
Bungo Baggins
Animated Skeleton

Bungo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Chicago. Home of our queen Oprah.
Bungo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #358
Durfuiniel
Pile O'Bones

Durfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durfuiniel
Quote:
to see all those große alte Schlösser,
Well, there really are some great castles in Germany, and very different ones. Old from the Middle-Ages and newer ones from the barock(is it called barock in english, too?). But if you like old buildings, you should visit France because there are many old churches which are so fascinating....
Quote:
wow, so there are people here who speak german pretty good*smile*
Do people in America(or England or whereever) really think all germans are beerdrinkers? I'd love to her some other prejudices about us Germans, that's really interesting I think.... so please tell me your view of germany
Durfuiniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #359
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Great philosophers. Especially Kant.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #360
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durfuiniel
Do people in America(or England or whereever) really think all germans are beerdrinkers?
No, but the fact that a mug of beer costs less than a cup of tea doesn't help your case much.

Maryland is home to the famous Michael Phelps...and blue crabs. ::shrug::

-Aylwen