The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #321
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yes, very true - that line definitely evokes Arwen. Well, here's a new quote for ya'll:
Quote:
I shall not forget you.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #322
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, it looks like this thread has been forgotten. Anyone want to give the quote a try, or shall I go on with a different one?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #323
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oops, I mixed this thread up with the quotes thread - anyone is welcome to pose a trivia question instead.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #324
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Well, your quotation was from Father Christmas' last published letter (1943), in which he says "goodbye" to Priscilla Tolkien. Since you opened the thread again, though, here's a new question:

Which of the poems selected by Tolkien from the Red Book does he specifically localise to the Buckland?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #325
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, perhaps it's time to answer this question:

The first two poems in the Tom Bombadil cycle, "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" and "Bombadil Goes Boating",
Quote:
evidently come from the Buckland. They show more knowledge of that country, and of the Dingle, the wooded valley of the Withywindle, than any Hobbits west of the Marish were likely to possess. They also show that the Bucklanders knew Bombadil, though, no doubt, they had as little understanding of his powers as the Shirefolk had of Gandalf's...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #326
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

It's been a long time, but I think that's the answer I was looking for.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #327
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

According to Tolkien's own words, which characters were probably "walkers in Outer Faery"?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #328
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
According to Tolkien's own words, which characters were probably "walkers in Outer Faery"?
Smith's wife Nell and his daughter Nan I believe

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #329
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, since it's been so long since so long since someone posted anything I thought the Minor works thread could also use a boost:

Who believes painting has uses?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #330
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I don't know what is his name in the original. In Czech, it's Kráčmera. He is a councillor (is that the word?), one of the three who discuss at the end of Leaf by Niggle.

I see, TM, that after being killed in WW, you decided to fill your free time with something else
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #331
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Indeed, I believe you mean Tompkins.
And yes, that is one of the reasons I tried to revive the Quiz threads. To give something to do.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #332
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tompkins. All right, I'll try to remember that. Anyway...

What was broken into four pieces?

If it's too hard, I may provide you with some hints
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #333
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, it was really very vague, but I did not think of a way to make it less vague without completely giving it out.

But what about putting it this way:

What was broken into four pieces as a result of certain animal's action?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #334
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The "certain animal" sounds like it must be Roverandom, always getting into mischief, but I haven't been able to locate an exact reference yet. Am I on the right track?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #335
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

In fact Esty, I have to disappoint you. Think about all possible animals... but it's not that hard once you get on the right track, I'm sure you'd make it if you try
Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #336
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, I've been searching and am not finding anything at all. Chrysophylax didn't cause anything to break, as far as I could see, nor did another animal in Roverandom. And the only other animals in minor works are in the Tom Bombadil poems, and I couldn't find any breakage there either.

Another clue, please?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #337
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Check everything that belongs to the "Minor works". It is written at the beginning of this thread (hey, in fact you wrote it yourself). You will know...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #338
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ah, it's that time of year again! I'd forgotten all about the Father Christmas Letters! In 1926 the moon was broken into four pieces because the North Polar Bear turned on all of the Northern Lights (nice Pullman reference, eh?!) at once.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #339
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, obviously Of course you are correct, please continue the thread and give us something interesting to think of
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #340
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who traditionally set out upon a trip on St Nicholas' Day? (Since that is coming up in a week...)
Old 12-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #341
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, St Nicholas' Day has come and gone, and the question is still unanswered. Anyone want to try?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #342
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

It was one knight in the Middle Kingdom every year to bring a dragon's tail to the king.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #343
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, Legate - very good! You may begin a new quest...
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 AM   #344
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm, who was the enemy of the Black swan?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #345
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

With some of those, it is really bad... almost nine months and no attempt for an answer...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #346
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I'll try my hand

That'd be a Sea-Rover the Man of the Red Worm dragon-ship and his men, the very master of the other Rover the mer-dog the Rover [dog proper] whom after the book Roverandom has been named had befriended on his voyage under the sea.

Lot of roving in the sentence above... but then there are lots of them rovers in the book mentioned, can't help it

Old 10-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #347
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Indeed, well done. You may take the thread and pose another question, hopefully with better - earlier - response
Old 10-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #348
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Earlier response provided I'm quick enough with posing first (my apologies for being late, like )

So, being on the run, something easy off the top of my head:

Who it was to build himself a gilded gondola for wandering purposes?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #349
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Quote:
There was a merry passenger,
a messenger, a mariner:
he built a gilded gondola
to wander in, and had in her
a load of yellow oranges
and porridge for his provender;
he perfumed her with marjoram
and cardamom and lavender.
The mariner. Nice question btw.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 AM   #350
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Anyone wishing to confirm this as a valid/flawed answer?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #351
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Coming, comings Sir!

My apologies for having forgotten about this

Surely your answer is correct, take the thread over

Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #352
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah, no problem at all.

Hmm, let me see:

Who jumped on a bicycle? (think it should be a fairly easy one)
Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #353
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, since Mr Bliss only "got on his bicycle", with no jumping involved, then it must be Niggle.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #354
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Very true, Dame Telcontar!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #355
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

"Same procedure as every year" - the fireworks that herald the new year always do some damage. What was damaged by a destructive display of explosives in one of Tolkien's stories?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #356
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

'Father Christmas' reported to the Tolkien boys in 1926 that the North Polar Bear had set off two years' worth of 'Rory Bory Aylis' in one night. One of the disastrous effects was the breaking of the moon into four pieces.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #357
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's right, Squatter - and nice to have you posting here again! Go ahead...
Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #358
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Nice to be back, however incompletely. Like Húrin I have come as I could, but he had a better excuse.

What of Niggle's "did not function properly"?

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 03-09-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: See below. Tsk.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #359
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Niggle's heart, according to the First Voice.

EDIT: What a pleasant way to bump up this thread and bump a spammer off the forum's front page!

Last edited by Bêthberry; 10-17-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #360
Spectre of Decay

That's the one, Beth. Sorry it took so long to confirm.