The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 AM   #1081
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
I took twilight to mean 'twilight of Turumbar's people in the devastation of FA', as that part of the clue that was 'the real bit'.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:57 AM   #1082
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cryptic clues can sometimes work more like riddle clues, but usually they are more likely to be made up of anagrams and synonyms, etc of the words in the clue (with the straight part of the clue often being exactly what it seems to be).
Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 AM   #1083
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm learning. So, will look forwards to seeing what the answer is and reverse engineer
Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #1084
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Why not have another go and learn on the job, so to speak?

Start with 'twilight.' What might you do with that, according to the conventions of cryptic clues?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #1085
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
He mingles twilight with doom, initially.
hahaha I have a mindsight headache hahaha

okay - I'll try. I'll think out loud for you to explain why the headache hahahah

'hmm, is 'mingles' one of their 'special' words, not like 'annexe' - which I thought, meant 'join this bit with that bit' and it sort of 'did' in that the creature thing 'ET' WAS joined to the suffix - but they meant 'by territory' not by 'special word'.

Hmmm, now - what about 'mingles'. It could then, 'pet word to join' or it could be 'one of those elfy metaphor things, you know, like 'mingled light of the two trees' and - really - mingles is really one those 'middle earthy words' used everywhere. You know, like 'numenoreans mingling with lesser men' and 'teleri mingling with sindarins in beleriand' and then - the mingling of elf and man!

Ah, is this then a 'half-elfy' thing. Um - could be. So, now I want to say

Undomiel. She was that twilight, or even star thing, 'mingling' of night and light and of blood. A double match!!! hahahaha

Hmm, but Umbar really meant 'doom', but then again Undomiel did have 'the doom of Mortal men.

I'm sure my reasoning is all wrong.

Undomiel! hahahah
Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #1086
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Or wait

Undome means twighlight, and Umbar means doom in Elvish.

Quote:
He mingles twilight with doom, initially
He mingles 'undome' with 'umbar', initially.

Mingles (anagram?)......"He" why HE? What on earth of an anagram can I possibly get out of either (twilight) or Undome. And then 'with' doom. Is the anagram on just 'undome' or on 'undome' AND 'umbar' or on the non-elfy words?

EDIT:

Seriously, I haven't stopped laughing for 15 minutes..........It can't possibly be Undomiel hahahaha she doesn't anagram out of the clue.

Last edited by Ivriniel; 07-09-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #1087
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
He, I think, merely indicates that the answer is a male character. You are right about mingles suggesting an anagram. Initially suggests well just the initial of doom is needed too - but whether it is D or of a synonym or a translation I don't know..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #1088
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

'Mingles' might indeed mean 'mixes,' or becomes an anagram of itself.

But you might have to do something with the word first. It might not be a translation of it that you need, but a synonym. (I suppose a translation is a kind of synonym, in a way, but not the kind that you need here).
Old 07-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #1089
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivriniel View Post
Undome means twighlight, and Umbar means doom in Elvish.
Isn't it Ambar? As in TurAMBAR, aka Master of Fate. Or Amarth, as in the Gondorian name for Mount Doom (Amon Amarth).

But anyways, Pervinca said it's not a translation. I was trying to work in some anagram of gloom or dusk, with the former being more promising, but the closest I got to matching the clue was getting Olog-hai, which is pretty obviously not the answer. I can't make Gollum fit either. But maybe this will help one of you guys.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #1090
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel, you're very close with your anagram ideas.

Sorry not to have replied sooner. I tried to get into the thread this morning, but couldn't. My laptop seems to have a problem getting into threads at times.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #1091
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok, I keep trying different combinations without anywhere. I'm desperate enough to search up the different letter combinations on Encyclopedia of Arda to get something that fits. But in the meantime, to throw out another half-answer out there, is there a singular form for GOLODHRIM? I feel that it wouldn't have the M, though, so probably not it either.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #1092
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Ok,...GOLODHRIM? ....
I've gottit! HAHAHA DUSKodhrim.....hahahaha

Arwen Duskomiel, or Arwen Gloomomiel (she was a bit that way inclined in the movies, anyway hahaha) (crying from laughter)

(seriously, 'just in case' I looked up "Olog-dhrim" - a elf/orc realm somewhere, I heard).

Last edited by Ivriniel; 07-10-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #1093
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maglor is very nearly an anagram of gloam, an archaic, poetic word for twighlight. He certainly was doomed but I can't explain the R..

Old 07-11-2015, 04:55 AM   #1094
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mith, you are very, very, very close. Correct synonym, wrong character.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #1095
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I am not sure as not exactly a character but Wormtongue is Grima son of Galmod which is an anagram of gloam and the initial d of doom.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #1096
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Correct. Galmod, father of Grima who became 'a witless worm,' so to speak.

Over to you.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-12-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: To put the answer in bold
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote