The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #81
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420!

oh yeah 1 and 2...well I got 2 things wrong

1. I misread the title of the thread as one truth and two lies and
2. I misread 2. as he never contacted the Ithil-stone with his own... I am kinda tired
Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #82
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Seems that everyone's wits were sleepy But good, take the thread.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #83
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok, here's the three statements:

1. The Druedain didn't attack any Orcs during the War of the Ring.
2. Elves of Rivendell didn't attack any Orcs during the War of the Ring.
3. The Dunlanders were not spared after the Battle of the Horburg.

I still think we should try come up with a way to make this more difficult.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #84
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Ok, here's the three statements:

1. The Druedain didn't attack any Orcs during the War of the Ring.
2. Elves of Rivendell didn't attack any Orcs during the War of the Ring.
3. The Dunlanders were not spared after the Battle of the Horburg.

I still think we should try come up with a way to make this more difficult.

i'm going to go with 3, because i remember in TTT that the Rohirrim granted amnesty to the Dunlendings who were taken aback, after being taught that the Rohirrim were monsters.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #85
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
*poke*

Might?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #86
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Sorry, yes Gil, you're right.

Please take the thread. I would be interested to see though if you know why #1 isn't false. Legate isn't allowed to answer.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #87
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I would be interested to see though if you know why #1 isn't false. Legate isn't allowed to answer.
Don't worry, I'm not saying anything, but you made me laugh.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #88
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well Gil, you can take it even without explaining that.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #89
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well Legate as Gil is gone, go ahead and tell us what I had in mind and post a new one too.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #90
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well there is at maximum presumed that they got some of Saruman's Orcs after the Battles at the Fords of Isen. Normally they don't fight, they hunt.

Hmm... okay.

1. Boromir was not brought to Rivendell by horse.
2. Saruman was not the first hostile force to hold Isengard.
3. Celeborn did not have any siblings.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 12-10-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #91
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

First one is a lie, not because I remember it, but because the other two are truths.
The Dunlendings were in Isengard before Saruman and Celeborn had a brother I believe.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #92
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

So you say first one is a lie? That's not correct.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #93
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Funny, because the first one being true was the only one I could recall. Maybe I'll guess as well. Is 2 the lie?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #94
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Oh, if I look at my post, I can see the stupidity.
Well 1 and 2 are correct then and 3 is wrong, because it is a lie that he had no siblings.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #95
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

2 is not a lie as well. Now I guess it's obvious. #3 is a lie and TM in fact said it, only he jumped to a wrong conclusion: Celeborn HAD a brother. #3 says that he DIDN'T have a brother. So it's false.

So what? Should I post a new one or let TM have it? If you wish you may post, TM. If you don't, then I will post something else.

Only let me say that this shows one thing: One should also READ WELL the question. This happens all the time when someone misreads a question or sentence (especially when there are double negations involved, like in this case).

EDIT: x-ed, yes, correct, have the thread, TM.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #96
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Very well...

Aeglos is:

A. a plant
B. a weapon
C. a river
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #97
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

C is wrong...
Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #98
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #99
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

1. Morgoth was not hurt more than nine times between his resettling in Angband and the War of Wrath.
2. Thorin's cousin did not fight in the Battle of the Five Armies.
3. Aragorn's crown was not originally Anárion's helmet he wore during the time of the Last Alliance.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #100
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Bah, I hate negations.

Anyway, the last one is true, it was not Anarion's helmet as this was crushed by a stone thrown from Barad-dur (I still find this the most stupid death in the books)
About Morgoth...he was hurt by Fingolfin eight times and Thorondor hurt him once. So only nine times I believe, meaning this is true as well.
The second is a lie, because he never had a cousin in the first place.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #101
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

So you say the second one is a lie? No, it is true. If he didn't have a cousin, of course his cousin didn't fight in the battle of the Five Armies.

I always get you in this one, Miggy
Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #102
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah yes, how can I be so foolish...
Not because of the cousin thing, but because of Melkor.
He was wounded by Beren (indirectly) after he cut a Silmaril from his crown.
So it means that 1 is the lie.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #103
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Good, very good! I'm impressed! (Or should I rather say: "Good, good!" and "Impressive. Most impressive!" ? ) I expected this question will be solved by an ellimination method, and not by direct revealing the concrete flaw. Please continue.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #104
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed...but you are not a loremaster yet.

Ok, so here goes:

A. A palantir could be held in any position to see something.
B. The chain Isildur used for the Ring was found.
C. Only one messenger made it to request help from the Eotheod.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #105
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

A is wrong. It had to be aligned and the other two are right.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #106
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed.
It did seem to me like a very curious "coincidence" that Pippin was looking exactly in that direction...

Anyway, please take the thread.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #107
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

As we know too well, such "coincidences" happen in Middle-Earth quite often (well, not as often on the large scale, but in this particular... hmm... flow of events).

Okay:

1. Only two men survived the disaster at Gladden Fields.
2. There is a tree (described in Tolkien's books) that blossoms in winter.
3. Galadriel visited Khazad-Dum at least once.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #108
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, a quite difficult one.

Anyway,
1. Is correct I believe, these were Ohtar who made it to Rivendell with the shards of Narsil and Estelmo who was clubbed and seemed to be dead.

2. Not sure.

3. I am very puzzled of this question. I am sure that you are aware that according to one version of the story Galadriel she didn't pass through Khazad-dum, while in another she did. Ok, I say this may be true, thus making number 2 false.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #109
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I am aware of everything But I have to disappoint you: number 2 is correct (there was such a tree brought by the Elves to Númenor)
Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #110
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Is this supposed to be a hint or the answer?

Probably, you mean mallorns, though I thought they blossomed in spring.
That probably means 3 is false.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #111
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, you have failed, my friend. 1 is false. 2 is correct and 3 is correct as well (in one version, which cannot be discarded). But mainly, 1 is false because there were THREE men who survived: Ohtar had one "friend" and Estelmo survived longer on the place and came back later (according to The Disaster at Gladden Fields; according to the Council of Elrond we are simply said that there were three of them and not if they came together or each by himself).

By the way, to the "2", I meant this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT
To Aldarion they gave a sapling tree, whose bark was snow-white, and its stem straight, strong and pliant as it were of steel; but it was not yet in leaf. (...) "It bears cool leaves in summer, and flowers in winter."
Okay, since the answer was not correct, I'm posting another one

1. Saruman was at least once further eastwards than Lórien.
2. Gandalf never visited Angmar.
3. Men of Angmar at least once entered the Shire.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 12-13-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #112
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

1 I was indeed wrong about.
2 "Its leaves, like those of the beech but greater, were pale green above and beneath were silver, glistering in the sun; in the autumn they did not fall, but turned to pale gold. In the spring it bore golden blossom in clusters like a cherry, which bloomed on during the summer; and as soon as the flowers opened the leaves fell, so that through spring and summer a grove of malinorni was carpeted and roofed with gold, but its pillars were of grey silver. Its fruit was a nut with a silver shale." These quotes somehow seem to be in contradiction, but indeed such a tree existed.
3 I am quite disappointed of you considering this to be true. As long as it can't be discarded it can also not be labeled as true, as long as other versions exist and there is no certainty about which one would have been the right one.

1 Is true, he went to the East with the Blue Wizards.
2 "but ever went to and fro in the Westlands from Gondor to Angmar, and from Lindon to Lórien, befriending all folk in times of need"
3. Is thus false.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:14 AM   #113
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

So you say 3 is false? No, that is not correct. Miggy...

And concerning the previous one, the main point was that 3 may or may not be true (depending on the version you pick), but, and that's 100%, the first one is NOT true. And since we are looking for one thing that is definitely not right, this is the one.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #114
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I never don't hate your negations...and I thought I was good in English.
1. is true
2. is false
and so 3 is true as well
Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #115
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Now it finally isn't incorrect. Please continue
Old 12-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #116
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Btw, it reminds me of THIS

You don't want to not vote for John Kerry?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #117
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Miggy, give us sumthin'...
Old 06-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #118
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Reviving this thread...

1. Charchost was built by the Men of Gondor.
2. Beregond was the son of Beren.
3. Frodo was Bilbo's nephew.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #119
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

2 is a lie.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #120
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Gotcha!

That was in fact a trick question. (Wrong Beren!)